• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

sniper said:
purcell said:
How to get mechanical assistance the easy way.

Race bike, right from the factory.

http://www.mcipollini.com/en/bike_mobile#mcm2
lol.

that's recreational and it's pretty well hidden.
to even contemplate that motors aren't in common use among the elite...

btw, who was it again that Cippo accused of motorization like some months ago?
Seems Cippo knowns his stuff.
"This isn’t just a bicycle with an electric motor expertly hidden within the frame"

Where did this "expert" become an expert?

Does he have connections with pro cycling? :(

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Great stuff, benotti, thanks for the heads up.

For the record, the 1998 as 'terminus post quem' for motors is not the first time he says that.
The other stuff is new, and potentially sensational. Hope he can back it up with something tangible.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Great stuff, benotti, thanks for the heads up.

For the record, the 1998 as 'terminus post quem' for motors is not the first time he says that.
The other stuff is new, and potentially sensational. Hope he can back it up with something tangible.

He said there is a big story coming, a documentary. Under oath in America. After the documentary he can talk.

Digger_forum has tweeted a lot of the main talking points

PS Mods, couldn't find other motor thread so if other thread more relevant to motor discussion please move my posts. TIA.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Varjas? Yawn.
Sport is surrounded by attention seekers, mad scientists and lunatics. Mostly they stay on the fringes but sometimes they manage to become part of the whole 'establishment', like Victor Conte.

Ferrari? Yawn.
Fuentes? Yawn.

etc...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Lets see what the docu and under oath testimonies being.
I couldn't care much if Lance used a motor, tbh. Wouldnt surprise anyone and it doesnt change much. We already know that it's all Lances fault and that cycling is clean as a whistle ever since he is out of the sport.

Beers on me if Cancellara or Froome get exposed. Champagne when uci cover up gets proven.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
I don't think those are comparable at all. IMO, Varjas has yet to prove he's an insider. To this day, he still sounds more like a snake oil salesman.

You know, lots in sport trying to convince us that their athletes compete clean all come across as snake oil salesmen.

Sport seems to attract such people or make them into such people.

Varjas aint any different from Presidents of Sporting federations, team owners, team directors, team doctors etc claiming change has come about, new generations are different, testing is up to date, athletes are very careful about their health, yada yada yada....

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Varjas is a vain man.
The fact that so few observers have taken him seriously may just have been the trigger for him to help pull the friggin curtain down.
I'm curious.
I don't see why he would lie on Gilroys program. And afaict, gilroy had other sources (possibky greg) confirming there is a story coming.
So i think a good story is coming.
Gilroys rep is on the line here too.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
That's why I don't believe all those people you mention either. You're barking up the wrong tree.

In the case of Varjas. He has a product to actually sell. The others are selling something that never existed.

Now maybe Varjas is interested in the publicity he can get claiming (maybe falsely) that there are motors in bikes. He is sticking his neck out very far and will be making some pretty damn serious allegations. That gives him some cred.

Woof.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:

it actually isn't though. Gilroy's paycheck comes from the radio station that hosts his show. He's been part of the furniture of that station for most of its history (it was orginally a local Dublin station, now a national station), apart from a few years where he took a break and the Second Captain's lads hosted that slot.

Off The Ball has a huge listenership in Ireland, mostly, I would say, due to it's soccer coverage. Cycling isn't really that big a deal for them. They give it plenty of coverage but it isn't responsible for them getting a whole pile of extra listeners. If Gilroy was to break a cycling story that turned out to be false, it won't affect the numbers listening to his show even a little bit.

And though the rest of the world can now tune in via their podcasts and live feed on their website, its primarily what happens at home that determines how successful Gilroy, and his show, are.

If Gilroy breaks a story that goes global then his profile will obviously rise. If he doesn't, or if it turns out to be a non-story, then no harm done.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

elduggo said:
sniper said:

it actually isn't though. Gilroy's paycheck comes from the radio station that hosts his show. He's been part of the furniture of that station for most of its history (it was orginally a local Dublin station, now a national station), apart from a few years where he took a break and the Second Captain's lads hosted that slot.

Off The Ball has a huge listenership in Ireland, mostly, I would say, due to it's soccer coverage. Cycling isn't really that big a deal for them. They give it plenty of coverage but it isn't responsible for them getting a whole pile of extra listeners. If Gilroy was to break a cycling story that turned out to be false, it won't affect the numbers listening to his show even a little bit.

And though the rest of the world can now tune in via their podcasts and live feed on their website, its primarily what happens at home that determines how successful Gilroy, and his show, are.

If Gilroy breaks a story that goes global then his profile will obviously rise. If he doesn't, or if it turns out to be a non-story, then no harm done.

I don't think Gilroy wants egg on his face at any level. I would hazard a guess that Gilroy takes his job seriously, hence the coverage of doping in sports. I don't think he would feel no harm done if Varjas turns out to be nothing more than a publicity seeker.

I would think that Gilroy got a second opinion from someone trusted before giving airtime over to Varjas.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Motors might have been available in 1998, but batteries with sufficient energy density and weight to be practical on a racing bike weren't. This story is a bit of a farce.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Inventor of hidden motors accuses UCI of blocking motor tests at 2016 Tour de France.

Kathy LeMond tells Shane Stokes,

“Stefano did speak with the gendarmes at the Tour this year,” she said. “He explained how the motor doping works and how to catch the cyclists using motors.

The gendarmes were not able to test the bikes themselves and were relying on the UCI to carry out the tests.

“The UCI refused to test the bikes in the manner Stefano recommended to uncover motor usage. Stefano believes the manner in which the UCI carried out the tests is insufficient to detect motor usage.”

UCI refusing Gendarmes to test bikes is not good.