• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movistar

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
And few people are claiming Quintana is definitely clean. This is what Sky fans fail to grasp: most folks here don't attack Sky because they defend other teams.

I'm not claiming that, just think the doping accusations are a bit one-sided. If Froome is cleary suspicious, which I agree with, then Quintana's performance should also be regarded as suspicious, but I don't hear much about that. He is after all just 23 years old and he is clearly climbing better than Contador, Purito, Mollema, etc.

Bakhjulet said:
I'm not claiming that, just think the doping accusations are a bit one-sided. If Froome is cleary suspicious, which I agree with, then Quintana's performance should also be regarded as suspicious, but I don't hear much about that. He is after all just 23 years old and he is clearly climbing better than Contador, Purito, Mollema, etc.
You don't hear much about that because, well, take a look at this thread. How many people think Movistar aren't doping?

Age is not much of a factor here. In fact, being very good from the beginning of your career is usually a sign of being a true, natural talent.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Arnout said:
Also, Quintana is a good climber, but his TT was beyond subpar. He's not delivering freak performances all the time.

Does he dope? Who knows. I think there is a chance he doesn't though.

Disregarding Froome performances, I would say Quintana's performances in his first tour is quiet remarkable. If he would have ridden smarter, not attack so far out on two stages, maybe he would have been closer to Froome and Froome's performances wouldn't have looked that freakish.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
You don't hear much about that because, well, take a look at this thread. How many people think Movistar aren't doping?

Age is not much of a factor here. In fact, being very good from the beginning of your career is usually a sign of being a true, natural talent.

14:24:31 GMT
Quintana is like a sphinx.

Does anyone have any idea what the commentator is thinking.Does Quintana have the body of a cat while his head is human? Is Quintana usually seen as a temple guardian? Is Quintana more like a Greek Sphinx or an Egyptian one.
Do you think "The Sphinx" will catch on.Certainly you could say that they were going at it like, Half cat and Dawg.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
yea, Quintana doesn't own a private jet just yet.

The most encouraging thing for me was the Colombians flat TT performance:

54 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:27,55

Oh come on, if cocaine can make it across the ocean what makes people think a BB can't? Think about it more deeply now.

ElChingon said:
Oh come on, if cocaine can make it across the ocean what makes people think a BB can't? Think about it more deeply now.

of course everything is possible, point is money comes in handy in these situations.

Getting somebody to deliver a few blood bags across the border from Spain into France isn't hard/costly, but moving the stuff from Colombia to France in time under some "stable conditions" seems a slightly bigger operation.

So we are back to the question: Is Quintana's performance ridiculous compared to others? Personally I'm neutral at this time.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
interview in dutch press on the restday. Quintana used to bike to school and be there earlier than the school bus from his village :D

can you give the link to the whole story?

And where was his school? flat terrain or up a hill?

The reason why I believe Quintana is clean(ish) is that he was expected to climb well. He had performed well, even while he was working for valverde. He has proven record of attacks up a climb.

His attacks are believable: there is a quick jump up at reasonable speeds till he gains some 10-20m, and then he slows down. All the tough U turns with high gradients, in stead of cutting corners and he has taken a wider angle. And more importantly, he was visibly bobbing his head in the difficult part of the ventoux climb.

Also, he had not magically flown away while Kannaugh was pulling. If he was doped, he should have charged and extended his lead when the gradient fell to less than 7%. But, it was exactly at the lower gradient that his lead was crushed by sky.
His lead crumbled rapidly. In fact, first i thought that the tie shown in TV is bogus, until i saw porte and froome.

Last point in support of Quintana: he was struggling to keep pace with Froome. If Froome hasn't duped him about "gifting" stage win, he wouldn't have come forward. And then the kenyan-brit cheated him.

The only point against Quntana is that he is only 29s shy of froome's unbelievable performance.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
murali said:

The reason why I believe Quintana is clean(ish) is that he was expected to climb well. He had performed well, even while he was working for valverde. He has proven record of attacks up a climb.

His attacks are believable: there is a quick jump up at reasonable speeds till he gains some 10-20m, and then he slows down. All the tough U turns with high gradients, in stead of cutting corners and he has taken a wider angle. And more importantly, he was visibly bobbing his head in the difficult part of the ventoux climb.

Also, he had not magically flown away while Kannaugh was pulling. If he was doped, he should have charged and extended his lead when the gradient fell to less than 7%. But, it was exactly at the lower gradient that his lead was crushed by sky.
His lead crumbled rapidly. In fact, first i thought that the tie shown in TV is bogus, until i saw porte and froome.

Last point in support of Quintana: he was struggling to keep pace with Froome. If Froome hasn't duped him about "gifting" stage win, he wouldn't have come forward. And then the kenyan-brit cheated him.

The only point against Quntana is that he is only 29s shy of froome's unbelievable performance.

Is there a quote for this, I didn't read about it anywhere.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Is there a quote for this, I didn't read about it anywhere.

Froome said something to him, after which Quintana did a pull and then Froome attacked him.

Obviously just speculation but it seems like a reasonable interpretation.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
murali said:

Agree with this, Been watching Quintana for a while now. And while Froome with practically every attack and every win screams PED's, Quintana seems much more natural in his performances. His progression has been very normal and his performances all have been well within the bounds of what he should be capable of.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
That doesn't look good for Quintana, especially accounting for how incredibly tough the stage was today. Better than Froome on Ventoux.

TRENDING THREADS