• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
man nairo must be laughing his *** off in colombia right now, froome and contador trying to kill each other 4 weeks before the tour starts :eek:

Froome and Contador are the ones that are laughing their ass off. Didn't win a GT last year while he easily could have won the tour.

Cheers mate

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Quintana will make the same mistakes he always makes, he stands no chance.

Which mistakes? Enlighten me.
Waiting till it is too late.

And thats always does? In 2013 he went too early, in 2015 he went too late. Rather wishful thinking that he is stronger than Froome again and waits. ;)
He went too early at Ax 3 stage and maybe at Ventoux.
But he waited at LGB and Semnoz.He also attacked late on Alpe.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Quintana will make the same mistakes he always makes, he stands no chance.

Experience is the keyword. He needed to make those ''mistakes'' to gain experience, he is just 26! Another factor is that he will have less pressure with Valverde fully working for him. All are ingredients to obtain a TOPperformance ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
quintana already had better wattage than froome in every stage except the first mountainstage. without the wind stage quintana would've won the tour. this year no chance for wind and even so doubtful quintana wouldn't make it

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
quintana already had better wattage than froome in every stage except the first mountainstage. without the wind stage quintana would've won the tour. this year no chance for wind and even so doubtful quintana wouldn't make it

This year there are time trials.

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:

Exactly and that coupled with my point above, I can't see why Quintana shouldn't be favoured as much as Froome. But Quintana is the one who has to prove it, Froome has been there, done that.

Much more optimistic than last year. A lot of things plays in his favour compared to 2015 IMO.

El Pistolero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Froome won't gain more than 1 minute, 1.30 at the maximum on these two ITTs. Both are very hard which obviously favour Quintana. Its not of super big importance, the Tour will be won in the mountains.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Yep,after this Dauphine I think he has a slightly bigger chance than those 2
OTOH I would not write off Alberto,his racing style is too dangerous for that (and god knows what legs he will have)

I wouls like to see Froome heart rate and wattage from today,it looked too "redish" for june imo ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Froome won't gain more than 1 minute, 1.30 at the maximum on these two ITTs. Both are very hard which obviously favour Quintana. Its not of super big importance, the Tour will be won in the mountains.

That's more than enough for Froome to win again.

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Ok then.

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

With this route Quintana is the favourite, it is not just the kind of ITT, or a lot of mountain tages, it is how is the first week, but I think that Froome will win again, he will put time not just in the ITTs , but some flat stages an maybe in Aspin, later he has Landa to control people as quintana in the harder stages, and Thomas in others. quintana will drop froomesometime but overall froome is the stronger. Quintana is young, he is a superclimber, he has years to win, now Froome palmares must do a little bit justice with his huge quality.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So when/where does everyone expect Quintana to launch his first attack of the Tour? I'm torn between 2kms from the top of Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc and about half way up Joux Plane...

:)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
SeriousSam said:
Quintana will need to have improved the wattage to keep up with Froome. He may have, but I doubt it.

Why, what suggests Froome is better than in 2015?

If Quintana hasn't improved and Froome reaches the same sort of form, Q will once again lose a good chunk of time early on and I think it's unlikely Froome will once again fade as badly as he did

SeriousSam said:
Valv.Piti said:
SeriousSam said:
Quintana will need to have improved the wattage to keep up with Froome. He may have, but I doubt it.

If Quintana hasn't improved and Froome reaches the same sort of form, Q will once again lose a good chunk of time early on and I think it's unlikely Froome will once again fade as badly as he did

Quintana losing time again pretty much is reckless speculation. The first week is much better this year for him than last - heck, even the route despite the lack of ITT's in 2015 is better. Im sure Quintana prefers this one instead of the classic-type stages last year. The chances of Quintana losing time on the flat compared to Froome is bigger tho.

I don't think Froome will fade as badly either, but I think we have every right to assume that Quintana is slightly better in '16 compared to '15. He has simply looked better so far.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Sciocco said:
So when/where does everyone expect Quintana to launch his first attack of the Tour? I'm torn between 2kms from the top of Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc and about half way up Joux Plane...

He may try after the Joux Plane, there is a kilometre of false flat afterwards and he knows the descent very well.

That's true, more his style that way. Will also leave Côte de l'Ermitage in the unlikely scenario he decides to attack for a second time.

Sciocco said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sciocco said:

He may try after the Joux Plane, there is a kilometre of false flat afterwards and he knows the descent very well.

That's true, more his style that way. Will also leave Côte de l'Ermitage in the unlikely scenario he decides to attack for a second time.

Jokes asides, lets be fair to Quintana. There is no pattern of him wheel sucking, he is not a Majka v.2 or Majka isn't a Quintana v.2 (altho they more or less have the same skill set..). You can argue Pais Vasco 2016, yes, but he knew Contador was stronger coming off some sickness and tried to hold on as best as he could. No shame.

We come back to the Tour 15 again. Yes, he made mistakes. Nairo knows that, but it might have been a little more complicated than it looked from the outside. Lets wait till the Tour is done for before we go all 'this guy never attacks' and make silly jokes when he honestly doesn't deserve it based on one race.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Sciocco said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sciocco said:

Jokes asides, lets be fair to Quintana. There is no pattern of him wheel sucking, he is not a Majka v.2 or Majka isn't a Quintana v.2 (altho they more or less have the same skill set..). You can argue Pais Vasco 2016, yes, but he knew Contador was stronger coming off some sickness and tried to hold on as best as he could. No shame.

We come back to the Tour 15 again. Yes, he made mistakes. Nairo knows that, but it might have been a little more complicated than it looked from the outside. Lets wait till the Tour is done for before we go all 'this guy never attacks' and make silly jokes when he honestly doesn't deserve it based on one race.

He certainly attacks but he's also shown in the unfortunately biggest race in the calendar he is happy to wait until it's all over before even trying. Combine that with his comments following the Tour of riding even more defensively. I was a fan of his move on Stelvio though.

No one Majkas like Majka.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

yeah right. last year quintana took 2 minutes back in the last 2 mountainstages :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Valv.Piti said:
SeriousSam said:

froome fades badly every gt he does. he suffers from recuperation. same thing happened in vuelta he was 2nd in and the tour 2013