• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 285 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Matteo. said:
portugal11 said:
Matteo. said:
SeriousSam said:
It's primarily a matter of his legs
But not the only one. Contador sh
wed it many Times...also winning a vuelta when he was the third man
Third man? You're crazy

it's not true. Or you're a blind fanboy or you're unfair: Purito and Valvedrde were stronger, they always got in front of alberto. He won the vuelta with a magnificent game trick , but he was weaker. Also be sincere in life
Valverde was stronger in Jaca, Bola del Mundo and Fuente de. Contador was stronger on ITT, Ezaro, Ancares, Covadonga and Cuitu Negru. On the triptico of the Vuelta (stages 14-16) whenever Contador was attacking Valverde was dropped. On stages 15 and 16 he was only coming back when Contador and Purito were playing start-stop games after Contador not managing to drop Purito. He was dropped by Contador in the end of stages 14 and 16 but they finished together on stage 15.
So, Contador was stronger than Valverde.
Thanks...

Forever The Best said:
Matteo. said:
portugal11 said:
Matteo. said:
SeriousSam said:
It's primarily a matter of his legs
Third man? You're crazy

it's not true. Or you're a blind fanboy or you're unfair: Purito and Valvedrde were stronger, they always got in front of alberto. He won the vuelta with a magnificent game trick , but he was weaker. Also be sincere in life
Valverde was stronger in Jaca, Bola del Mundo and Fuente de. Contador was stronger on ITT, Ezaro, Ancares, Covadonga and Cuitu Negru. On the triptico of the Vuelta (stages 14-16) whenever Contador was attacking Valverde was dropped. On stages 15 and 16 he was only coming back when Contador and Purito were playing start-stop games after Contador not managing to drop Purito. He was dropped by Contador in the end of stages 14 and 16 but they finished together on stage 15.

Ok, he was second but this does not change anything about the argument I made on quintana. or am I wrong again?

Matteo. said:
Forever The Best said:
Matteo. said:
portugal11 said:
Matteo. said:
Third man? You're crazy

Ok, he was second but this does not change anything about the argument I made on quintana. or am I wrong again?
Obviously not. He was worse than Rodriguez uphill (couldn't gain any time on Rodriguez on the uphill finishes except stage 17 and usually lost time) yet he won it due to a legendary attack on stage 17.

May 23, 2016
Visit site
On todays stage:

"I always fight. As long as there is one gram of strength, as long as I feel good, I always try to give my all,"

"Today was a brilliant day but I hope there will be more. I hope to have at least one more day like today."

On his plans for the GC and what is left of the TDF:

"I'm in the fight for the General Classification again. I don't lose hope and we all hope we can have more days like this one,"

"We have always fought, we have always been there and quality is not lost from one day to another. We are here and we always leave a mark."

This definitely sounds like a man on a mission for the remaining of the race.

Another blow for the ridiculous crowd who say Quintana is conservative. He's been involved in the vast majority of long range GC attacks in the last four years. Such a fighter - maybe, just like last year, he can still sneak a podium despite having horrible legs.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
portugal11 said:
HelloDolly said:
Nairo's dad complaining that Movistar are riding him into the ground !!!
He was very rude to unzue
Don't pay attention to him, he probably had a few "polas" during the interview.

He probably only repeats what others watching the TV are saying on his house or La Plaza or La tiendita. :D
But I really think he is right. Unzue has to understand that quintana isn't indurain and to win gt's quintana has to attack. I think unzue turned quintana in a conservative rider and when he was younger he was always in attacking mode

Finally! Shame on people who compares him to riders like Meintjens, when he has the legs he goes more often that not. I do consider this one of his greater performances, everything taken into consideration! I had not expected he would actually be this good after yesterday - he was very resilient as we know him, but his legs backed him up today.

The Galibier stage can be carnage, but he has to go on Croix de Fer to win. That would be awesome and I really, really do hope he realises that. Up the road with everything that can crawl and attack hard on the iron mountain.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Finally! Shame on people who compares him to riders like Meintjens, when he has the legs he goes more often that not. I do consider this one of his greater performances, everything taken into consideration! I had not expected he would actually be this good after yesterday - he was very resilient as we know him, but his legs backed him up today.

The Galibier stage can be carnage, but he has to go on Croix de Fer to win. That would be awesome and I really, really do hope he realises that. Up the road with everything that can crawl and attack hard on the iron mountain.
Contador, Landa and Quintana to go on Croix de Fer :cool:

Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:

Contador, Landa and Quintana to go on Croix de Fer :cool:
I do expect that. I would honestly be disappointed otherwise, its the only chance the way I see it...

All three of them have ample reason to try something there, so I actually think this is a likely scenario. Landa would definitely be going against the team's wishes, but I don't think he cares, this being his last year at Sky most probably.

No, Telegraphe is too late. If you wanna win the race overall, that is. It depends on so many different things; his own legs, the morning break, the weather, the intentions of the other teams (primarily Sky and Ag2R, we know Contador most likely will try on Croix de Fer).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
No, Telegraphe is too late. If you wanna win the race overall, that is. It depends on so many different things; his own legs, the morning break, the weather, the intentions of the other teams (primarily Sky and Ag2R, we know Contador most likely will try on Croix de Fer).
If it was the last mountain stage I would agree with you. But I believe that the energy of doing that Marathon would hurt him badly the following day.

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
If it was the last mountain stage I would agree with you. But I believe that the energy of doing that Marathon would hurt him badly the following day.
There will be no following day unless Bardet, Aru and Froome cracks spectacularly on Galibier if he doesnt try from afar. I will be the first to criticise Quintana if he has the opportunity to go long on Croix de Fer; with 3 podiums, I don't believe another one would mean much. And thats not a given at all either, he is still 8th!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Will hurt him badly but the others will be hurt too...

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I already fear that Ag2R will pull them back (or at least try to), they have a strong team and I haven't been impressed with Bardet at all despite his reputation as an aggressive racer.

I think that Bardet is saving himself. He knows that Froome is looking less strong as in the previous years and Aru has little to no team support at all and is vulnerable. Expect something big from Bardet to come. A Frenchmen with the real possibility to fight for the overall TDF win in the 3d week is an dangerous animal.

Nairo attacking at Croix de Fer is risky and one he cannot pull without an alliance.

I don't see Quintana and Contador getting back into the race for the podium unlike some other people. There wasn't much reason for the favorites to chase hard as they were far enough down GC.The stage was 100 kms long and won't be typical of the rest of the race. I still see the top four riders being the strongest and without his fall Martin would have to be included but he is still riding well. Someone will have to crack badly or have some bad luck for Quintana to reach the podium and Contador is trying hard but too far back. It's hard to see Quintana doing his usual strong third week this time even though he did well yesterday.