• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

orangerider said:
Quintana has to fear from within his own team with Valverde riding for himself. No matter what Valverde says to the media, we know his true colors. Someone mentioned Valverde finishing higher in the GC standings and I would not be surprised at all with this happening.

Valverde has publicly stated that he believes that he can podium at the Tour and that is still his goal, in addition to working with Quintana. Movistar would be foolish to limit Valverde to super-domestique duties. They have to very powerful cards to play and it would be advantageous of them to use them to the utmost of their abilities.

You give the impression that Valverde and Quintana are on the level of Froome/Wiggins, Contador/Armstrong, Hinault/Lemond, etc... Do you realize that they were roomies? Imagine any of the above pairings sharing a room throughout the 3 weeks of a grand tour. :eek:

There's no doubt Valverde is willing to work for Quintana, as shown in last years Vuelta. The main question is, to what extent. Is he ready to sacrifice his own podium or top5 placing for Nairos win?
In all likelihood they start as co-leaders, but when the need arises, is Valverde ready to completely bury himself for Nairo? He doesn't really strike me as someone who rides himself to ground for a teammate. Rather he saves some energy to still get a good result himself.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Piti worked one stage for quintana and he even ended up winning it and not staying with quintana. And it was the vuelta, not the tour. Very big difference, especially cause piti owed him for not riding the tour that year

Põhja Konn said:
There's no doubt Valverde is willing to work for Quintana, as shown in last years Vuelta. The main question is, to what extent. Is he ready to sacrifice his own podium or top5 placing for Nairos win?
In all likelihood they start as co-leaders, but when the need arises, is Valverde ready to completely bury himself for Nairo? He doesn't really strike me as someone who rides himself to ground for a teammate. Rather he saves some energy to still get a good result himself.

IMO he'll be ready to help Quintana once he wakes up to the fact that Quintana is way better than him. Once he remembers that he couldn't even podium when AC, Froome, and Quintana all weren't there last year. Once he is staring at the behinds of the big 4 dancing away he'll realize his best bet it to do domestique work for Quintana and aim for a good result (possible win) at the Vuelta.

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
orangerider said:
Quintana has to fear from within his own team with Valverde riding for himself. No matter what Valverde says to the media, we know his true colors. Someone mentioned Valverde finishing higher in the GC standings and I would not be surprised at all with this happening.

Valverde has publicly stated that he believes that he can podium at the Tour and that is still his goal, in addition to working with Quintana. Movistar would be foolish to limit Valverde to super-domestique duties. They have to very powerful cards to play and it would be advantageous of them to use them to the utmost of their abilities.

You give the impression that Valverde and Quintana are on the level of Froome/Wiggins, Contador/Armstrong, Hinault/Lemond, etc... Do you realize that they were roomies? Imagine any of the above pairings sharing a room throughout the 3 weeks of a grand tour. :eek:

If Valverde was ever going to podium at the Tour he would have done so by now. This year with the four best GT riders all contesting the Tour it will only be harder for him. I also rate TJVG and maybe Pinot ahead of Valverde and Rodriguez this year.

Miburo said:
Andro said:
Miburo said:
Andro said:
Miburo said:
He hasn't proven much under pressure, he looks fragile, winning the giro was nice but against 2nd rate climbers.

And then what about Alpe D'Huez and Semnoz in 2013? Was that also against "2nd rate climbers"?

Purito was up there, does that mean he's a big fav too now?

No, because Purito has been in a decline since then while Quintana was 23 then and 25 now. Stop being obtuse on purpose.

Quintana hasn't improved since the tour 2013. He improved a lot in 2012-2013 but not since then. Maybe he did improve but results don't show it.
Umm...

Nairo_Quintana-fin_2927732b.jpg

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Today, I read a telephonic interview of Nairo. He came across as a humble easy going guy. I think that is most likely him.

The problem are the irrational Nairo-fanatics, which are the bulk of his followers. The Nairo-worshipers.

In contrast, a cycling-aficionado is not irrational.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's so much that with Valverde getting a podium position. That's a stretch with the level of competition this year. However, he can still do a very good GC standing. Will Valverde sacrifice being 15th instead of 6th by working for Quintana when he's still going to get smashed by Contador / Froome / Nibali (switch the orders if you wish). Will Valverde put more than a minute's worth of effort? I doubt it. Valverde is very seasoned and knows exactly how much energy expenditure will work against him. He wants the highest finish possible to put a solid WorldTour point winning at the end of the year.

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
lots of Valverde fans on here but im sorry to break your bubble he aint even gonna finish top 10 trust me, he will try and grab a stage but will fail at that, TDF is a training exercise before his last real attempt to win Vuelta, believe me :) 7 days to go and you will all find out in the coming weeks

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

nelsonsmen71 said:
lots of Valverde fans on here but im sorry to break your bubble he aint even gonna finish top 10 trust me, he will try and grab a stage but will fail at that, TDF is a training exercise before his last real attempt to win Vuelta, believe me :) 7 days to go and you will all find out in the coming weeks
stop trolling with thise please, we all know what you think, you wrote 1000 posts about it

btw I've seen an inCycle video today which was mainly about Berto, but most of the cycling afficionados here tipped Nairo as the biggest threat, and ranked him higher than AC climbing wise,pretty surprising even for me.

Vamos Nairito! :cool:
PS:if you want a link, I'll post it.

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
stop trolling with thise please, we all know what you think, you wrote 1000 posts about it

btw I've seen an inCycle video today which was mainly about Berto, but most of the cycling afficionados here tipped Nairo as the biggest threat, and ranked him higher than AC climbing wise,pretty surprising even for me.

1000 posts hey, funny ive only made 24 ever! Akin to Valverde being in the top 10 you need to check in with reality sunshine. Watch n learn, the next 3 weeks will prove you and others very wrong, Valverde Top 10 lmao, its all about Vuelta in his final year before he winds down to retirement over next 3 years

Re:

Iker_Baqueiro said:
Today, I read a telephonic interview of Nairo. He came across as a humble easy going guy. I think that is most likely him.

The problem are the irrational Nairo-fanatics, which are the bulk of his followers. The Nairo-worshipers.

as opposed to all the rational froome, contador, nibali fans? WTF are you on about, this board is a hotbed of unnecessary fanaticism.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Iker_Baqueiro said:

he is quiet impressive, isn't he? I didn't even know about his extra curricular outside bike racing until I read the article about Quintana's activity. He is quiet an activist for a cause. Wow, Good for him. He can be a good ambassador for his country.

Jelantik said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:

he is quiet impressive, isn't he? I didn't even know about his extra curricular outside bike racing until I read the article about Quintana's activity. He is quiet an activist for a cause. Wow, Good for him. He can be a good ambassador for his country.

Can you share a link?

movingtarget said:
Angliru said:
orangerider said:

If Valverde was ever going to podium at the Tour he would have done so by now. This year with the four best GT riders all contesting the Tour it will only be harder for him. I also rate TJVG and maybe Pinot ahead of Valverde and Rodriguez this year.

Many thought in a similar vein of Cadel Evans and the liklihood of a Tour win. It seemed more likely he would've won a Vuelta or Giro before the Tour. I wouldn't eliminate Valverde completely from reaching the Tour podium, especially in a Tour like this with minimal tt km's. It's not as if his overall results have slid to the point of the experts advising that he should be considering retirement.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Quintana is also a great rider. He is young, he won the Giro but he didn’t go face to face with Froome and Contador in this situation. In the Vuelta he fought against them but that was a different situation

100% agree with purito's comments on quintana. He hasn't really faced them yet, even the tour 2013 doesn't count cause he was never a main focus.

And this one is also spot on

“I am more worried about Valverde than I am about Quintana. Valverde is a rider with a lot of form. He is really tough

I guarantee everyone that piti still wants to win the tour, he doesn't care about quintana. It's always been in his mind.

While I agree with Purito about Quintana, it's a bit weird to say you have more confidence in Valverde, who *has* often gone up against Froome and Contador and was beaten, like, every time. So yeah, might just be playing mind games and trying to make things weird at Movistar.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Quintana is also a great rider. He is young, he won the Giro but he didn’t go face to face with Froome and Contador in this situation. In the Vuelta he fought against them but that was a different situation

100% agree with purito's comments on quintana. He hasn't really faced them yet, even the tour 2013 doesn't count cause he was never a main focus.

And this one is also spot on

“I am more worried about Valverde than I am about Quintana. Valverde is a rider with a lot of form. He is really tough

I guarantee everyone that piti still wants to win the tour, he doesn't care about quintana. It's always been in his mind.
this is so wrong :100EmbarrassmentSmilies:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I must admitt miburo that your delusions are hilarious though. especially how you can read valverde's mind :eek:

Every interview i read about piti he said he wants to win the tour. I remember after the vuelta '08, he tried to convince himself he was at contador's level because of the MTT (where they were even), that was for example laughable. You'll see, he won't help quintana unless his chances are already gone.

And it's one of piti's best seasons ever. With such a talent, i'm not gonna say he has no chance. Very unlikely though that he wins it, i never said he would either way.

You can say whatever you want of piti but he's a champion. And give me one champion that will race for someone else when he still has a chance, no matter how slim it is?

TRENDING THREADS