• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As always I managed to miss the most exciting stage of the year and had to watch a summary. Quintana proved again that he's the purest climber of this generation. I hope Movistar gives him the leadersship at the Tour and they do everything to keep him from losing time in the dangerous first week. Don't forget that a climber always wins the Tour in a year ending in 8.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
As always I managed to miss the most exciting stage of the year and had to watch a summary. Quintana proved again that he's the purest climber of this generation. I hope Movistar gives him the leadersship at the Tour and they do everything to keep him from losing time in the dangerous first week. Don't forget that a climber always wins the Tour in a year ending in 8.
How did he prove that? :confused:

Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
Pantani_lives said:

He didn't prove it with one attach at the TdS with rivals of differing motivations, but you could make that case. By "purest" do you mean is a favorite to contest mountain stage wins, whether long grinder or punchy/steep, following teammates or not? It's definitely an extremely short list of those who can sustain that level for more than a year or two. However, one strike against him is that he doesn't win all that much.

I really like Quintana, but looking at last year I worry that '16 was his peak.

Bolder said:
silvergrenade said:
Pantani_lives said:

He didn't prove it with one attach at the TdS with rivals of differing motivations, but you could make that case. By "purest" do you mean is a favorite to contest mountain stage wins, whether long grinder or punchy/steep, following teammates or not? It's definitely an extremely short list of those who can sustain that level for more than a year or two. However, one strike against him is that he doesn't win all that much.

By "purest climber" I mean that his climbing style looks very natural and fluent, as if he was born to climb mountains on a bike. He was a good climber at a young age already, is rather short yet powerful, can turn around a big gear without looking like a forced laborer. His climbing is just a pleasure to watch when he's in shape. He brings back memories of Herrera and Parra in the eighties, which isn't obvious in modern cycling.

Bolder said:
silvergrenade said:
Pantani_lives said:

It can't just go away. More like a gradual decline after 32-33 years. An even at that age he still should be able to climb really well.

Pantani_lives said:
Bolder said:
silvergrenade said:
Pantani_lives said:

By "purest climber" I mean that his climbing style looks very natural and fluent, as if he was born to climb mountains on a bike. He was a good climber at a young age already, is rather short yet powerful, can turn around a big gear without looking like a forced laborer. His climbing is just a pleasure to watch when he's in shape. He brings back memories of Herrera and Parra in the eighties, which isn't obvious in modern cycling.
Got it.
Thanks for clarifying.
He does look good climbing. :)

Escarabajo said:
Bolder said:
silvergrenade said:
Pantani_lives said:

It can't just go away. More like a gradual decline after 32-33 years. An even at that age he still should be able to climb really well.

Truthfully it's looking more and more like 2015 may have been his peak.
I agree it should be a gradual decline, however, I do think he's hit his ceiling rather or not he's started a decline.

Quintana made a statement, actually two, one on the bike, one to journos. He knows that he needs to assert himself as the leader for his team in July, that Valverde and Landa are breathing down his neck. Nicely played. I agree with the decline talks, but who knows. Nairo felt that he was sitting on a fire and reacted as he should have. Not being anointed, but having to deserve the leadership role may be the extra incentive that he needed.

2015 of course. When you hit peak you are suppose to remain there and around so that's how all the big engines big races for years. Otherwise is not natural. That's why he won 2016 Vuelta. Could have been a slight decline but still good enough.
You expect a repeat of that peak. Not above that ceiling which would be abnormal if we believe the numbers.

the biggest issue is nairo should small all other contenders in the mountains to win the tour, so reproducing 2013, 2016 3rd weeks form is what's needed. just being strongest climber is not enough while the likelihood of movistar being capable of replicating a vuelta-esque race-splitting move is very small.

Re:

dacooley said:
the biggest issue is nairo should small all other contenders in the mountains to win the tour, so reproducing 2013, 2016 3rd weeks form is what's needed. just being strongest climber is not enough while the likelihood of movistar being capable of replicating a vuelta-esque race-splitting move is very small.

He needs top TT with a top Froome only. If he has that form from 2015 or 2013 should be OK if he doesn't screw the tactics and goes unscathed the first week. I would worry more about the first week than the TT IMHO.
He can still produce a decent TT on that Tour parcours if he is in good form.

IMHO!

Escarabajo said:
dacooley said:

He needs top TT with a top Froome only. If he has that form from 2015 or 2013 should be OK if he doesn't screw the tactics and goes unscathed the first week. I would worry more about the first week than the TT IMHO.

IMHO!
against porte as well. the prospect of leaving TTT with a 1'30-2' deficit seems quite probable.

dacooley said:
Escarabajo said:
dacooley said:

IMHO!
against porte as well. the prospect of leaving TTT with a 1'30-2' deficit seems quite probable.

Add Nibali as well. When he's racing well he also typically does a good ITT. His TTT should be better at the Tour with the Izagirre brothers there.

Agreed Porte will have the best TTT and then is also a good with ITTs as well.

Koronin said:
dacooley said:
Escarabajo said:
dacooley said:

IMHO!

Add Nibali as well. When he's racing well he also typically does a good ITT. His TTT should be better at the Tour with the Izagirre brothers there.

Agreed Porte will have the best TTT and then is also a good with ITTs as well.
Not necessarily. Sky may win the TTT and have a good chance of winning. Their team is far better and stronger,
The only question now remains is can they convert it into a win.
Last time around, Poels cracked early, hence, Nico Roche had to go really deep and cracked on the final ramp.
This is the Tour. This will be Sky A team. Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Kwiato, Moscon, Rowe....
BMC is trembling.

TRENDING THREADS