• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 134 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Foxxy, I read an article a week or so ago documenting that Manning had a better passing record in the thirteen, I think it was, games in which he wore a glove than his overall record without it. Actually a higher QB efficiency. He has been fine with it in the past.

A link would be super (may you find it again), since gamebooks don´t mention if a QB wore gloves or not.

Me, I can´t remember other games than the NE debacle and yesterdays one when he used glove on his throwing hand.

What I learned yesterday: When lining up against a monster defense you better bring a QB with above average arm strength. One that doesn´t throw wobbling ducks (BTW, Sherman was right) more often than not.

The Hitch said:
Don't know who the Broncos are (carrots? - actually thats the Oakland Raiders- long history,good a decade ago, but absolutely suck recently), but the Seahawks are clearly Sky. Turning mid-low pack talent into a team of physical freaks who are 2 or 3 levels above everyone else.

The main one is a bit of a loudmouth (though to be fair, Tricky **** Sherman is nowhere near as bad as wiggins)

The whole NFL is clearly Sky (on steroids, times two).

Boeing said:
yes and won the first title game in 1951 and played at the Colosseum up until 1994

The Raiders also played in LA for a few years, in fact, when they won the 1983-84 SB, they were the LA Raiders. They moved down there when Al Davis couldn't get his way in Oakland, but moved back a few years later.

A link would be super (may you find it again), since gamebooks don´t mention if a QB wore gloves or not.

A lot of articles on it, actually:

At various times, both in practice and in games, Manning has worn a glove, either just on his throwing (right) hand or on both hands in games. Though most have framed the glove as a cold-weather option, it is really something Manning has done because his grip was affected during his recovery from surgery.

The nerve that was affected went into his right triceps. And he’s worn it in all temperatures, including games in Houston (kickoff temperature was 58 degrees) and at Oakland in the regular-season finale when the kickoff temperature was 70.

You have to think that the surgery, along with age, has affected his ability to throw deep. Maybe we should be more amazed that post surgery, when a lot of people thought he was a big gamble on a huge contract, he put up incredible numbers even if they were mostly against weak defenses, than the fact he didn't perform well against a killer defense.

But with the glove on his throwing hand in 10 games this season, including both of the playoff wins, Manning has thrown 33 touchdown passes and five interceptions. He’s had four 400-yard games and six games when he attempted at least 40 passes. So, his average line this season, with at least the right glove on, is 27-of-41 passing for 332 yards and 3.3 touchdowns per game. In his time with the Broncos and in 13 total games with the glove on his right hand over the past two seasons, his passer rating is 111.9.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Me, I can´t remember other games than the NE debacle and yesterdays one when he used glove on his throwing hand.

What I learned yesterday: When lining up against a monster defense you better bring a QB with above average arm strength. One that doesn´t throw wobbling ducks (BTW, Sherman was right) more often than not.

He wore one on his right hand in San Diego. I remember seeing him repeatedly pull it tight. I think like everyone else he was concerned of the impact it could have and he was anticipating it being necessary to wear one in NY due to the weather. Just making preparations. The glove was insignificant as far as I'm concerned.

Tricycle Rider said:
Another sidenote - The inaugural Kitten Bowl on the Hallmark Channel looked kinda fun.... ("Ferrel Owens" cracked me up.)
That was awful cute. My favorite was Tomcat Brady. Some of the other names were Terry Bradclaw, Hairy Rice. I also love the Scratching Goalpost. Plus instead of halftime, they had naptime.

Another channel had the Fish Bowl.

Merckx index said:
The early line has SE favored to repeat, with, just like this past year, DE, SF and NE close behind.
But odds makers do that almost every year, have the previous year's winners at or near the top (except the years the Giants won it).

I'll make some more up/down predictions later. Teams I expect to rise and fall, and why.

Merckx index said:
You have to think that the surgery, along with age, has affected his ability to throw deep.

I wonder that as well. The guy had four neck surgeries, including a fusion (look it up if you're not sure what it is). Amazing he's even playing at all.

Oldman said:
Foxxy, The locals will appreciate the props but it wasn't Peyton's glove. It was what Thomas said to him on the first pass play when he got to meet Cam Chancellor: "don't throw to me again".
That's just a beautiful comment.

:)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
You have to think that the surgery, along with age, has affected his ability to throw deep. Maybe we should be more amazed that post surgery, when a lot of people thought he was a big gamble on a huge contract, he put up incredible numbers even if they were mostly against weak defenses, than the fact he didn't perform well against a killer defense.

Ok. My mistake. Didn´t realize he had a glove on his throwing hand vs NE in the playoff game. The colour was like skin-colour & white.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/photos?gameId=340119007&photoId=3489384

So if it´s not the gloves, it must be simply the "ducks" Sherman described.
Let´s see if he comes back for another try.
I predict he´ll put up 30+ vs SEA in next years RS game. The time when the casual sportsfan is not watching.
I wonder if people wonder around the world how he got his 5 MVPs, when every time they see him at the biggest stage he kind of busts...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It was no match:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...nver-broncos-plays-based-peyton-manning-hands
"Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could've been exposed."

Same happened to the Raiders vs TB (next to Callahans blunder, the OL walk off, and Browns critics). Lynch on (german) TV back then: "We knew the plays, we knew all the plays..."

Namath in Parrishs book AFIR: "If they (opponents) know our plays, I don´t stand a chance. End up with 5 Ints. Nothing I can do about it."

Well, well, all those little tricks....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It was no match:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...nver-broncos-plays-based-peyton-manning-hands
"Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could've been exposed."

Same happened to the Raiders vs TB (next to Callahans blunder, the OL walk off, and Browns critics). Lynch on (german) TV back then: "We knew the plays, we knew all the plays..."

Namath in Parrishs book AFIR: "If they (opponents) know our plays, I don´t stand a chance. End up with 5 Ints. Nothing I can do about it."

Well, well, all those little tricks....

It's not tricky to study tendencies. That's what defense is, by the way. Peyton will have an answer next time he sees the Hawks, no doubt as the respect he commands is legitimate. I'm watching the game again and what is amazing is the panic level that sets in. You want a single, bigger cause it's that everyone tightened up; it wasn't all Manning.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It´s true. It wasn´t all Manning. Denver was simply beaten in every phase. The most blame has to go to Fox. Didn´t he know what´s coming? His players seemed overwhelmed/unprepared.
And Manning did what he always did in the playoffs: Doing exact the same things that he does in the RS. After two weeks preparation, the opponents normally came up with a perfect plan (thus his many 1st round exits as monster fav). No surprises (like SEA did with Harvin, or like PIT did vs SEA in the SB, or like SF did to GB in the last playoffs). If you become predictable, it gets hard. If you get figured out completely, it gets ugly.
http://grantland.com/features/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-offense/

And what I don´t get is how the OL can have such a bad game when they owned the opposition trou the year. I mean is SEA like "Sky/Horner"? Above the best of the best in the world? Simply bull rushing their way trou the OL to PM like no one else did?
As we cycling fans/critics know, if it´s too good to be true, it normally is.

Edit: Don´t wanna take away the deserved SEA win. They were the best team this year. Just left me with a little too many sour tastes (positives, holding, plays figured out, Carrolls doubtful past). On a little bit more level field (DEN and the rest of the NFL are no saints too, of course), the game would have been much closer, but SEA still wins it.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s true. It wasn´t all Manning. Denver was simply beaten in every phase. The most blame has to go to Fox. Didn´t he know what´s coming? His players seemed overwhelmed/unprepared.
And Manning did what he always did in the playoffs: Doing exact the same things that he does in the RS. After two weeks preparation, the opponents normally came up with a perfect plan (thus his many 1st round exits as monster fav). No surprises (like SEA did with Harvin, or like PIT did vs SEA in the SB, or like SF did to GB in the last playoffs). If you become predictable, it gets hard. If you get figured out completely, it gets ugly.
http://grantland.com/features/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-offense/

And what I don´t get is how the OL can have such a bad game when they owned the opposition trou the year. I mean is SEA like "Sky/Horner"? Above the best of the best in the world? Simply bull rushing their way trou the OL to PM like no one else did?
As we cycling fans/critics know, if it´s too good to be true, it normally is.

Now you're just losing your mind. Do you really think there is a magic bean that isn't available to all NFL players and used widely? Remember, Seattle played this well last year when they finally settled on Wilson. They all didn't magically get faster or bigger than the previous year. Are some/most exploring the finer PED arts? Most certainly. They aren't getting a unit of blood and EPO teasers which is what make the difference in cycling.
That's why no one on Denver or SF raises the silly comparison.
Also Denver's OL didn't give up sacks...the receivers weren't clearing and Peyton's 2nd, 3rd checks said "PANIC". You can see it on his face.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Another channel had the Fish Bowl.
I thought you were kidding, but you weren't, there actually was a Fish Bowl on NatGeo last Sunday.

I think that's hilarious, and deliciously facetious, it's as if they knew they couldn't possibly compete with the Super Bowl, or the Puppy and Kitten Bowls. So might as well show a fish swimming around a bowl for several hours. (Actually wish I had caught about, oh, 30 seconds of it, seeing as I own an aquarium with two small fish. Heh.)

Back to football talk - I guess today is college signing day, I don't follow high school football at all. But it would be sort of interesting to see how many high schoolers actually make it into the pros somewhere down the line. (Out of a whole class I'm guessing maybe 2-5 of them?)

The NFL - At the moment I have no predictions for next season, I usually just sort of wait and see who shows up on the field on game day. (I don't even pay attention to the pre-season much.)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Karl Mecklenberg was on the radio in NY last week talking about the Denver-Giants Superbowl. He was saying the main reason they lost, is because they didn't game plan well and were out coached, and out prepared. They studied NY and were convinced they'd run on 1st down, pass on 3rd, and mix on 2nd. And when the receivers ran posts, it was never to just clear out the middle. They had done that all season. Come game time, the Giants did almost the opposite. He said play after play they were guessing wrong, in the wrong position, etc. And they lost, handily.

Tricycle Rider said:
I don't follow high school football at all. But it would be sort of interesting to see how many high schoolers actually make it into the pros somewhere down the line. (Out of a whole class I'm guessing maybe 2-5 of them?)
When you say "class" what do you mean? One school? It would be a very small percentage. I currently live in Connecticut. I know of two guys who were HS standouts in the entire state in the late 00's, and played in the NFL in 2013. Amari Spievey and Aaron Hernandez. There are probably a handful more. You go to the South or California where HS football is bigger, you'll get more. But the number has to be less than 1 per school. Maybe 1 per school conference.

When I was in high school there was a RB/WR named Glen. He was a physical specimen. The kid was fast & strong. A man among boys. Set track records as well that stood for a few years. We thought he was the next Jerry Rice. He ended up going to University of Nevada, under renowned coach Chris Alt, where he joined a few other "next Jerry Rice" receivers. He ended up the 4th WR on the team, caught some balls, played okay. Didn't get drafted, never played a down in the NFL. A fairly common story.

If you really want to get into high school sports, both Rivals.com and MaxPreps have too much info to sift through.

Picking NFL winners next year is mostly folly. For fun. The combine, pro day, then draft, then free agency. You can look at draft positions, and you can look at team's caps, but there's way too much that's going to happen between now and then to pick anything with much accuracy. I'm sure both Seattle and Denver will still be good. Most teams that were last year, will be good next year. But it's better to just speculate which teams are on the rise, and which are on the slope, and why. Then re-evaluate as the season approaches.

Alpe d'Huez said:
When you say "class" what do you mean? One school? It would be a very small percentage. I currently live in Connecticut. I know of two guys who were HS standouts in the entire state in the late 00's, and played in the NFL in 2013. Amari Spievey and Aaron Hernandez. There are probably a handful more. You go to the South or California where HS football is bigger, you'll get more. But the number has to be less than 1 per school. Maybe 1 per school conference.
That was a massive brainfart on my part, I'm not sure I thought that through at all. But yes, only a small percentage of high school football players actually ever make it into the NFL.

Thanks for the website suggestions, I'm curious to see if any players from my high school had made it into the pros recently. Or ever, actually, we sucked. We certainly didn't have any college recruiters knocking on our door when I was there.

To me, HS football is both a crapshoot, and often a mess, depending on where you're from. I'm not sure how much time I want to spend writing about it, but there are so many issues going on with recruiting to money to even spirit of the game, in so many areas of the country, it's maddening. Just for an idea what I'm talking about, do a search for Bishop Gorman (NV) and their dominance. This article in Forbes says it all.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
(1) Now you're just losing your mind. Do you really think there is a magic bean that isn't available to all NFL players and used widely? Remember, Seattle played this well last year when they finally settled on Wilson. They all didn't magically get faster or bigger than the previous year. Are some/most exploring the finer PED arts? Most certainly. They aren't getting a unit of blood and EPO teasers which is what make the difference in cycling.
That's why no one on Denver or SF raises the silly comparison.
(2) Also Denver's OL didn't give up sacks...the receivers weren't clearing and Peyton's 2nd, 3rd checks said "PANIC". You can see it on his face.

(1) Needless to pick those things apart. It would just lead to a useless clinic-like discussion. I just want to mention that I used the Sky phrase b/c some guys brought it up here (latest MarkW).

(2) DEN gave up one sack. But I don´t want to win the hair splitting contest. So I give you that one.
Why did the receivers not "clear"? Why was no 2nd or 3rd option available, and thus PM in panic? Both questions can be answered with a.) the style the D played. It was discussed at length before the SB. NFL people said already before the SB they´ll look at that issue after the SB (like always when it´s too late). And b.) with the interview Sherman gave about the signals and routes. Now I didn´t call that cheating. I just said what it means: Your offense stands no chance, never will, no matter how good you are. It happened to Brady before (vs MIA in a 0-21 shutout in 2006), it happened to MIA this year when they got shutout 0-19 vs BUF.
Now add in PMs arm strength, no adjustments, and bad/wrong preparation... = disaster.
If PM and his team refuse to learn again from their mistakes, namely using the same (surely 100% detailed) concepts/plays/preparing for the playoffs/SB as for the 1st game of the season (as his teams now do for over a decade), next year will have the same bad ending. No matter if they meet the Seahawks or the Bucs.
My only open Q was why did the DEN OL got steamrolled? It´s not about the sacks, but the pressure that was put on PM w/o blitzing.
In the RS he was pressured on only 23% (incl. blitzes) of his pass plays. In the SB that number went up to 56% (more than doubling with virtually no blitzes).

I can´t remember a SB where the best team outplayed the 2nd best team on every phase from the first snap.
I am sorry, but for me that´s too good to be true... My twentytwo cents.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Tricycle Rider said:
The NFL - At the moment I have no predictions for next season, I usually just sort of wait and see who shows up on the field on game day. (I don't even pay attention to the pre-season much.)

As last year I do my unpredictable SB pick:
TB Bucs over TEN. I just feel this year was a aberration (that actually the two best teams play the SB), and we go back to the randomness...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Karl Mecklenberg was on the radio in NY last week talking about the Denver-Giants Superbowl. He was saying the main reason they lost, is because they didn't game plan well and were out coached, and out prepared. They studied NY and were convinced they'd run on 1st down, pass on 3rd, and mix on 2nd. And when the receivers ran posts, it was never to just clear out the middle. They had done that all season. Come game time, the Giants did almost the opposite. He said play after play they were guessing wrong, in the wrong position, etc. And they lost, handily.

That is how football was meant to be played: The offense acts, the defense reacts.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
(1) Needless to pick those things apart. It would just lead to a useless clinic-like discussion. I just want to mention that I used the Sky phrase b/c some guys brought it up here (latest MarkW).

(2) DEN gave up one sack. But I don´t want to win the hair splitting contest. So I give you that one.
Why did the receivers not "clear"? Why was no 2nd or 3rd option available, and thus PM in panic? Both questions can be answered with a.) the style the D played. It was discussed at length before the SB. NFL people said already before the SB they´ll look at that issue after the SB (like always when it´s too late). And b.) with the interview Sherman gave about the signals and routes. Now I didn´t call that cheating. I just said what it means: Your offense stands no chance, never will, no matter how good you are. It happened to Brady before (vs MIA in a 0-21 shutout in 2006), it happened to MIA this year when they got shutout 0-19 vs BUF.
Now add in PMs arm strength, no adjustments, and bad/wrong preparation... = disaster.
If PM and his team refuse to learn again from their mistakes, namely using the same (surely 100% detailed) concepts/plays/preparing for the playoffs/SB as for the 1st game of the season (as his teams now do for over a decade), next year will have the same bad ending. No matter if they meet the Seahawks or the Bucs.
My only open Q was why did the DEN OL got steamrolled? It´s not about the sacks, but the pressure that was put on PM w/o blitzing.
In the RS he was pressured on only 23% (incl. blitzes) of his pass plays. In the SB that number went up to 56% (more than doubling with virtually no blitzes).

I can´t remember a SB where the best team outplayed the 2nd best team on every phase from the first snap.
I am sorry, but for me that´s too good to be true... My twentytwo cents.

I poked fun at your reliance at metrics, formulaic theories and assorted voodoo to explain the Denver preeminence and impending demise of the Seahawks. You were confident and somewhat coy at times about the possibility of Denver losing but were very certain of your deeply researched and logical conclusions.

Now you've retrospectively introduce some veiled accusations, lamely suggesting MarkW as the authority on a point that must appear to be obvious to all. The reality is and the tape shows very closely...the officials didn't miss much. They flagged rightfully some pass interference and a touchdown was the result of another obvious Seattle foul in the end zone (your only TD). Seems like Denver was the beneficiary, not the victim of the scrutiny by the Zebras. No follow up NFL review of "the issue" as you refer to it; will reveal any subterfuge (the conversations you're now having with yourself or other Broncettes don't count as a widespread discussion of a vital "issue", by the way). Also, studying the tactics of an opponent has never been considered "cheating" from Chess to Cycling. It's considered a major part of the game and Denver admittedly spent their preparation time navel-gazing, doing what they always do. Even they were mesmerized by their offensive prowess. They even said they prepared exactly as they always had. Seems like an easy code to crack. Seattle's offense did just the opposite.

Then you go to the step of shilling new, more creative metrics to suggest there must be some unseen advantage that allowed Seattle rushers to apply pressure. You haven't watched this defense play much, have you? They've been beaten by several other teams and made to look ineffective. You cited those weaknesses in your researched analysis and apparently deemed Denver capable of dealing with them.

Problem is: good teams change the defense they play and learn. Seattle didn't pressure the corners with the D line with Kap because they couldn't do it effectively. They lost to Indy because Luck is rangy and extended the plays like Kapernick. Seattle's D concentrated on Gore and he was a full time job. They won that battle. Your running(?) backs didn't constitute a challenge and they could then apply some outside heat. Peyton's mobility is a long way South of rangy so all they had to do was press from the edge, jamb the receivers quite legally and change Manning's release. Jeez, before Avril hit his arm for the picksix, Peyton's eyes were already closed.They got a hand on the ball....a hand. That's how all of the interceptions occurred. Our d-backs punched a ball out after a good Denver reception. How does any of this relate to implied enhancement?

It was too good to be true but the outcome was a combination of great early strategy and effort. The late strategy was to exploit the urgency, stiffness and resignation of the opponent. Not too much magic there. Welker was one of the few Men standing up for your side.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
(your only TD).

It´s not "my" team. You will never see my using that phrases. If I do, I put it in "", because then I didn´t have another vocabular to express my thoughts.
I do not look up to players personality (I only care of their performance or lack of it), nor do I look up to teams. It´s all business, greed and money. The NFL guys don´t care about the fans (only their money), I don´t care about them. When I watch it I try to prevent to invest any money.

May next season I´ll cheer for some other team, if they play good offensive football.

Oldman said:
Also, studying the tactics of an opponent has never been considered "cheating"

I declared that more than once. So where is the problem? I just stand by my words that if you figure out the opponents signals, their offense stands no chance. It´s like poker and you know my cards in hand.

Oldman said:
spent their preparation time navel-gazing, doing what they always do. Even they were mesmerized by their offensive prowess. They even said they prepared exactly as they always had. Seems like an easy code to crack. Seattle's offense did just the opposite.

Declared that too. The same mistake PMs teams do for over a decade now. May they learn from this desaster. Finally.

Oldman said:
Then you go to the step of shilling new, more creative metrics to suggest there must be some unseen advantage that allowed Seattle rushers to apply pressure. You haven't watched this defense play much, have you? They've been beaten by several other teams and made to look ineffective. You cited those weaknesses in your researched analysis and apparently deemed Denver capable of dealing with them.

No, only the playoff games and reading about them since they hit the spotlight...
Yes I thought DEN could handle them. I thought it´s a very good OL since they played efficient and in continuity for 18 games. Yes am still surprised how they got clobbered.

Oldman said:
Seattle didn't pressure the corners with the D line with Kap because they couldn't do it effectively. They lost to Indy because Luck is rangy and extended the plays like Kapernick.

And still pocket passers won 37 of 48 superbowls....

@ army3
Have read on Easters article that No 1 defenses are 5-1 now in SBs vs No 1 offenses... he just left it open to readers what the metrics are. I guess total yards. :rolleyes:
If we look at expected points or Y/PP, it´s roughly 50/50. Sometimes so called offensive teams win, sometimes teams with monster defenses...
Anyway, you have a truly "defense won the championship" this year. Actually the D outscored the opponents O.

I wonder who will be number 2 in the top 100 players of the season list. There is no clear candidate. Up until half way point I would have said Megatron but he and the Lions sucked the second half. ThomasIII, Kuechly or Sherman perhaps but if JJ Watt didnt get into top 4 last year no way in hell should a defensive player be anywhere near there this year. Brady I think is most likely but if its not clear cut id rather they gave it to someone who hasnt won mvps. Shady Mccoy 2nd most likely i think, or Jamal Charles though Id prefer Charles.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Really touching...

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/2/6/5387552/a-broncos-fans-letter-to-peyton-manning

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_25077270/dear-mr-manning

... nah, just kidding.
OMG, I might understand 16 yr old girls getting wet when Bieber is in town, but grown up moms who are professors and journalists?

He is a rich man who gets praise for the team wins, then he should also get the blame when his teams lose.
Does Miss prof have no life, thus having to worship a person she doesn´t even know? I never fully understand the thinking of (some/many?) US citizens. If you replace PM with LA, you get the same BS love letter for another overpaid guy who did his job. No more, no less.

I was looking for more SB analysis, and get linked to this crap. :eek:

They were beaten in every aspect of the game. It wasn't because of refereeing, play stealing, gloves on throwing hands, or pot heads like Browner. The game wasn't even close. Arguably the biggest blowout in SB history. End of story. Time to move on to next season.

Houston fans have created a website: Draft Johnny Manzeil.

With Kyle Shanahan now the OC in Cleveland, will Kirk Cousins end up there? I'd take a chance on him before blowing a draft pick. But didn't Hoyer play pretty well for the Browns last year before getting hurt? Why are they giving up on him?

Deposed Browns OC (now with Minnesota), Norv Turner says the Vikings are looking for a young QB in the draft. Yeah, that's the answer.

The NFL Combine starts in a little over 2 weeks, here's an invite list. Don't be surprised if Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manzeil do not do full participation, and instead wait for their Pro Day to woo scouts. Another QB could take advantage of this the way Brandon Weeden did, and impress coaches enough to (artificially) jump in the draft.

Jags say they may trade the 3rd pick in the draft.

The A-11 league is looking to start out with Tim Tebow as a QB. Every single one of these leagues will fail until they secure TV deals, and assistance from the NFL. No billionaire is going to come out of hiding, USFL, XFL style to try to compete with the NFL like in the past. If anything, the NFL would need some sort of minor league/developmental league, similar to Europe. But the NCAA is already looked at as a developmental league, and the sport is too brutal to have guys playing 5-10 games in the summer to fall, then end up on an NFL team and play another 10-15 games in the fall to winter.

Look for more outside the box thinking come rules changes. The rule change I'm most hoping for is centralized replays. That is, the on field referees no longer go off the field and look under the hood. They call for a replay, and a crew already watching every play in every game (in NY or LA) watches all angles, and relays back the information to the referee. The play is called and the game continues. This is long overdue, and technology is now so good, it's a must.

Still need to post my rise/fall list for next season.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
They were beaten in every aspect of the game. It wasn't because of refereeing, play stealing, gloves on throwing hands, or pot heads like Browner. The game wasn't even close. Arguably the biggest blowout in SB history. End of story. Time to move on to next season.

Great Article documenting the elements of major plays on SI.com. Pretty much sums it up and points out what Peyton didn't do that Andrew did. Andrew beat this defense and it taught them how to deal with it. That's not "cheating", is it?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Houston fans have created a website: Draft Johnny Manzeil.

Deposed Browns OC (now with Minnesota), Norv Turner says the Vikings are looking for a young QB in the draft. Yeah, that's the answer.

Might be too early to say, but Johnny Football to Houston is a waste. Houston has the first overall pick, and JF is ranked 21st overall by the ESPN Scouts (list below,
"2014 NFL Draft Player Rankings"). Houston could trade down a few spots and still get JF. Minnesota has the 8th overall pick, so they may need to trade up to get the guy they want if Bortles or Bridgewater is their guy.

NAME............POS....HT......WT.....SCHOOL.....Grade.....Overall Rank
J Clowney*......DE.....6'5".....258...S.Carolina.....96............1
G Robinson*...OT.....6'5"......320...Auburn..........96............2
J Matthews.....OT.....6'5¼"...309...T A&M...........95............3
S Watkins*......WR....6'0½"...205...Clemson.......94............4
T Jernigan*.....DT.....6'2"......298...Florida St......94............5
A Barr.............OLB...6'4⅝"...244...UCLA...........94............6
C.J. Mosley.....ILB....6'2⅜"...228...Alabama.......93............7
K Mack...........OLB...6'2⅝"...245...Buffalo.........93............8
T Bridgewater*..QB...6'2½"...220...Louisville......93............9
M Lee*............WR....6'0"......195...USC.............93............10
J Gilbert..........CB.....6'0¼"...199...Okla. St........92............11
B Bortles*.......QB.....6'4"......228...UCF.............92............12
M Evans*........WR....6'4"......220...T A&M..........92............13
T Lewan..........OT....6'7¼"....314...Michigan......92............14
S Tuitt*............DE....6'6"......303...Notre Dame...92............15
H Clinton-Dix*...S.....6'1"......208...Alabama........91............16
L Nix III...........DT....6'3".......340...Notre Dame...91............17
D Dennard.....CB....5'11¾"...189...Michigan St....91............18
Z Martin..........OT....6'4⅛"...305...Notre Dame....91............19
R Hageman....DT....6'6"......318...Minnesota......90............20
J Manziel*......QB....6'0"......200...T A&M........90............21
E Ebron*........TE.....6'4⅛"...231...N Carolina....90............22
L Purifoy*.......CB....6'0"......185...Florida.........90............23
C Kouandjio*..OT....6'5".......310...Alabama.....90............24
A Donald.........DT....6'0⅞"...288...Pittsburgh....89............25
K Ealy*...........DE....6'4⅝"....275...Missouri.....89............26
L Joyner.........CB....5'8¼"....187...Florida St....89............27
J Verrett.........CB....5'9⅜"....174...TCU...........88............28
M Moses........OT....6'6⅛"....325...Virginia.......88............29
D Adams*......WR....6'2"......212...Fresno St....88............30
C Pryor*..........S......6'2"......208...Louisville....88............31
C Hyde..........RB....5'11¾"...238...Ohio St......88............32

Here's an early mock draft broken down by QBs taken:
QUARTERBACKS
1. Houston Texans: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida (round 1, #1)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (round 1, #3)
3. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (round 1, #4)
4. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (round 1, #8)
5. Oakland Raiders: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson (round 3, #3)
6. St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (round 3, #11)
7. Arizona Cardinals: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU (round 3, #20)
8. Cincinnati Bengals: Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech (round 3, #24)
9. Tennessee Titans: A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama (round 4, #12)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

and the first round:
ROUND 1
1. Houston Texans: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
2. St. Louis Rams: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
6. Atlanta Falcons: Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
8. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
9. Buffalo Bills: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn