• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 319 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
There is a reason college FB is running more spread offenses. And it is not because it is more exciting. It is because college coaches know they only have the really good players for 3 years, maybe 4 years if red-shirted. They really good ones don't red-shirt, even some linemen. So how do you get a kid coming out of HS, who has limited knowledge, up to full speed? Use the simplest offense that is easy to teach. That is the spread offense. For every offensive play there is specific defender at risk, the QB (& team) gets the final call from the sideline using hand signals & calling cards, and the QB only has 1 or 2 reads, in particular the defender at risk. In a nutshell that is it.

Now, call it boring, but NFL defenses, with all their athletes (more so than college teams b/c only the cream of the crop make the NFL) are so much more ready to deal with spread offenses that NFL teams really need to run pro-style. NFL offenses play cat and mouse with the defense, and that in part is where NFL is more exciting - what happens pre-snap and just after snap, when all the reads by the QB are taking place. The point is, which is why ALPE mention pro-style, PLAYERS FROM COLLEGE SPREAD OFFENSES ARE NOT READY FOR THE PRO GAME. And it takes time for them to learn. Knock down Alex Smith all you want, but he is cerebral, understands how to study, how to put the offense in the best situation vs what defense is doing, and so is a good veteran for some inexperienced young gun to learn from.
That's plain BS! (pretentious much?). I didn't say the sole reason most colleges run spread is because it's more exciting (though it is far more exciting than the boring pro game). The reason is because, FFS, many high schools are running it with athletes playing QB never seen before in terms of size, speed, arm strength & athleticism. Right now there are tons of dual-threat QBs playing in high schools all over the nation (check Texas for starters). My local HS that I freaking played at 39 yrs ago that historically ran the I-form now even runs spread! Many of these dual-threats with good size who are posting big numbers have already verbally committed.

I alluded to Jalen Hurts that you don't seem to understand. He was a 4-star recruit with impressive size, speed, arm strength and mind-blowing stats! (3500p/1700r). He was heavily recruited by almost everyone as a dual-threat. Newsflash: Bama transitioned to the spread last year BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT JALEN HURTS RAN IN HS! Some of these kids are playing in spread as early as the middle-school level. Perhaps, these kids would have been regulated to other skill positions 20 or so years ago, utilizing their size & speed at positions other than QB. But what's happened now is these kids have the arm strength & accuracy needed in the passing game and can play the position with the added dimension of running due to their athleticism (i.e., they can beat you with their arm or feet).

On Smith: What's with all Kool-aid you're drinking on this cat? 2-4 postseason record and NO Super Bowl appearances. He's had some great defenses & some good offensive weapons there at KC and he can't get the team past the 1st rd of the playoffs? (a 12-4 season & division title down the toilet last year! Lol). And cerebral? Big deal...so is Fitzgerald and he's now a backup. Lol. But since you're the resident expert on all matters "NFL" (?), I'll ask you this point blank: Why the hell did KC trade the house away to pick the Texas gunslinger with the *10th OA* to sit the bench??? Additionally, there are currently 7 active SB winning QBs still playing (Brady, Brees, Manning, Wilson, Flacco, Wilson & Big Ben). Some of these guys are getting up there in age and are developing chronic injuries, so, why then haven't these teams drafted any QBs in the first round, like KC and others have?
You are mistaken. I understand the athleticism of today’s HS players, having a son who played collegiately and now coaches HS. He has also been to regional (West coast attended by schools like #2 nationally ranked Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas, who just beat #13 DeMatha of Maryland, and plays #1 Mater Dei of Santa Ana on Sept 7) summer football camps and has some interesting observations about HS talent. Whether ‘haves’ or ‘have-nots’, the observation is the same. Yes, there are more athletes playing WR & QB than even 10 years ago. Today’s HS players do not seem to want to play RB and OL, instead preferring WR & QB positions. Makes sense from a standpoint of the available scholorships numbers game.

So, today there are more athletes at WR and QB positions. Is that why more college teams are running spreads? I won’t deny it could be one factor. Another is they can be effective, especially picking on defensive weaknesses or where OCs are creative game planners coming up with route combos customized for each team they play. But for reasons I mentioned before, IMO, spreads being easier to teach is the primary driving force when schools only have players for 3 years.

As for Alex Smith & Mahomes, to answer your question KC drafted Mahomes to be Smith’s heir, and Alex knows it. Again while Mahomes has played well vs vanilla defenses and has lots of potential, he is not ready to be the day-1 starter yet. KC HC Reid has said QB-1 is not Mahomes this season (see TonTon’s post above). Don’t believe me or coach Reid? Then have a look at what HOF QB Dan Fouts (the color commentator on last night’s Seattle-KC game):
PRE-GAME - He (Alex Smith) is a winner too. 41 wins since 2013 ranks him just behind Tom Brady (47) & Russ Wilson (45). Has been an accurate passer leading them to a 12-4 record & AFC West title last year. 67.1 completion % in 2016. He realizes KC drafted Mahomes to replace him. Mahomes is not ready yet, but his upside is worth keeping an eye on him.
At 3:51 to play in the 3rd quarter when asked how good the HC/mentor tandem of Reid/Smith is, Fouts said:
Smith has really helped Mahomes as far as what to expect, what Alex sees & thinks on each play. Alex has been very generous on giving that information to Mahomes.
I’d rather believe Reid & HOF QB Fouts than your line of BS. LOL.

Re:

jmdirt said:
If the preseason game tonight is the tryout, Smith got the job. KC's line sucked in the second half, but the kid didn't look too good.
True. The kid did do some things really well though. And Andy Reid has lots of praise for Mahomes.

On Seattle, AGAIN/AGAIN Rawls & Procise were out with minor injuries. Lacey had good vision and ran pretty well. Carson looks really good and does the little things to protect the ball. Tackles Odiambo & Ifedi were better, but I was disappointed in Joeckel, who allowed too much penetration, which created easy lanes for KC's lBs to plug holes. Pass blocking better than last week.

Nomad, KC moved up because: 1) Smith isn't young, 2) one hit could end his season/career, 3) they liked the gunslinger they saw on tape. I don't think they drafted him to start in '17. I have an itching feeling that you don't like AS, and that is why you're riled up over this. He's not everyone's cup of tea, and he hasn't had the post season success that even he would like, but he is a top 10 QB in the NFL. Asking why other teams didn't move up only opens 1,000 other questions about each of those teams/QBs. NOLA thinks that Daniel is the next man up, NE has Garopp, Seattle likes Boyken, Smith might be the man for the job in NYG. I'm not sure why the Steelers and Ravens didn't make bigger/better moves, but using their strategy to to indicate that PM was drafted to start doesn't make sense IMO. I don't disagree with you that it was strange that they went up to get him, but by the same token if they saw the raw QB that they wanted to build, and didn't want him to slip away, why not go get him.

Like I posted a while ago, Smith is the perfect mentor for a young gunslinger because his strong points are the weak points for PM.

on3m@n@rmy said:
As for Alex Smith & Mahomes, to answer your question KC drafted Mahomes to be Smith’s heir, and Alex knows it. Again while Mahomes has played well vs vanilla defenses and has lots of potential, he is not ready to be the day-1 starter yet. KC HC Reid has said QB-1 is not Mahomes this season (see TonTon’s post above). Don’t believe me or coach Reid? Then have a look at what HOF QB Dan Fouts (the color commentator on last night’s Seattle-KC game):
PRE-GAME - He (Alex Smith) is a winner too. 41 wins since 2013 ranks him just behind Tom Brady (47) & Russ Wilson (45). Has been an accurate passer leading them to a 12-4 record & AFC West title last year. 67.1 completion % in 2016. He realizes KC drafted Mahomes to replace him. Mahomes is not ready yet, but his upside is worth keeping an eye on him.
At 3:51 to play in the 3rd quarter when asked how good the HC/mentor tandem of Reid/Smith is, Fouts said:
Smith has really helped Mahomes as far as what to expect, what Alex sees & thinks on each play. Alex has been very generous on giving that information to Mahomes.
I’d rather believe Reid & HOF QB Fouts than your line of BS. LOL.
Who's asking you to believe me? You're the pretentious one and the resident expert on all things NFL...right? But this is an example of your imperious attitude on a different opinion offered that doesn't coincide with your position. And you seem so infatuated with Smith's stats. Big deal...that doesn't mean JS if he can't get the team past the 1st rd of the playoffs! Do you really think the KC fans give a crap about his stats if he keeps stinking up the joint in the playoffs? How many more 12-4's and 1st rd playoff losses will the fans put up with? Btw, here's a report on Mahomes that's suggests he could start at some point of the season:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-preseason-pile-patrick-mahomes-might-force-chiefs-hand-in-2017/

And my point on Mahomes is based on the dynamics of the trade, his performance in the preseason and Smith’s lackluster results in the playoffs. Does Smith have any SB wins? Does he have any AFC/NFC wins? And believing coaches for what they say is a joke & an illusion. They say one thing and do another! They contradict themselves week after week. They even make stupid soundbites at post-game media addresses. Lol. Surely, you should know this by now?

As I mentioned previously, Reid made a QB change in Philly back in 2012. And he was replacing superstud Micheal Vick with a 3rd rounder in Nick Foles. Also back in 06 with the Broncos, Shanny drafted Cutler with the 11th OA, but had indicated that Cutler would learn for a year under Jake Plummer, who was coming off a 13-3 season & trip to the AFC Championship game. Well...11 games into the season and the Broncos sitting at nice 7-4, Shanny benches Plummer for Cutler. So much for the apprenticeship. Lol. And looking at the only two QBs selected with the 10th OA since 1983 (Leinart & Gabbert), both started at some point of their rookie season. Same with the only two 11th OA since 83 (Cutler & Big Ben).

KC made a desperate move drafting up to get the Texas gunslinger (this is the first QB KC has drafted in the 1st rd since 1983!). Recall that Houston was also desperate to get Mahomes (remember Mahomes' outstanding combine & pro-day practices). Buffalo held the 10th, and with Cleveland going for Garrett with the 1st, Chicago locked on Trubisky with the 2nd, and picks 3 thru 10 not needing a QB. And with Buffalo content onTaylor, they held the cards. Houston offered this year's & next year's 1st, but would not give up this year's 3rd, while KC matched the two 1st's plus their 3rd and traded up from 27th for Mahomes (btw, Houston gave up this year's & next year's 1st rd picks for Cleveland's 12th to move up from 25th and grab Watson...another desperation move after that debacle with Osweiler. Lol). So, with desperation moves like this by both KC & Houston, it sounds like both teams are disgusted with their QB situation (who would have thought).

And on Fouts: What do you expect him to say about Smith during a broadcast? Imagine if he was critical of Smith and pointed out his lousy postseason record and all that, I'm sure Smith would would be sending him and the network nasty tweets & emails...and networks don't like that kind of negative attention. It seems like these network analysts who are former QBs aren’t very critical of veteran QBs when broadcasting. Must be a bonding thing or something. Lol.

Lastly, it's probably pointless for me to continue this debate with the resident expert of this thread. It's difficult to offer a different opinion on issues such as this with so much expertise here that it becomes a waste of time. Maybe this will be the year that your guy Smith will take KC to the promised land and whole situation with Mahomes will look foolish when they could have taken Kizer or someone else in the later rounds to serve as a permanent backup to the future hall of famer. Rainbows & marshmallows...all is well & good in KC.

Nomad said:
Who's asking you to believe me? You're the pretentious one and the resident expert on all things NFL...right? But this is an example of your imperious attitude on a different opinion offered that doesn't coincide with your position..
Riiiight. Sounds like the pot calling the Kettle black. And those of us here in agreement upthread on Smith all disagree with you. So who's the one with imperious attitude on different opinion? You can check in your HS participation award from 4 decades ago in at your next logon along with your attitude.

KCs Spencer Ware's LCL/PCL injuries apparently not as bad as JE's. Ware will just miss time?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-miss-time-with-knee-injury-lcl-pcl-damaged
I had to look up what PCL & LCL are:
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is the most commonly injured knee ligament. It connects the thigh bone to the shin bone.
Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) also links the thigh bone to the shin bone in the knee. (It’s rarely injured except in car accidents).
Lateral collateral ligament (LCL) connects the thigh bone to the fibula, the smaller bone of the lower leg on the outer side of the knee.
Medial collateral ligament (MCL) links the thigh bone to the shin bone on the inside of the knee.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Edelman probably gone for the season : ACL injury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uZkMSeSbsI
Too bad for JE. Why is it I get the feeling this will not hurt the Patriots?

Well they are always good at plugging the gaps. Still the way he played last year he will be missed and he's an important motivator for the team. A real team player.

That's rough about Edelman. Having watched some of that game, I'm not someone who thinks the Pats will go 16-0, maybe not even 14-2. They do have more offensive weapons than in the past, and the defense is solid, especially the secondary, but I worry about some gaps on the lines. They don't seem to have the best past rush, and if Nate Solder is hurt enough to miss significant time, that will hurt a lot as well. However, Brady looked like an MVP, and very sharp. I won't put it past him to bring any teammate to rise way above their normal ability, and Belicheck can coach any player to a level they never thought they had, or before showed.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Well they are always good at plugging the gaps. Still the way he played last year he will be missed and he's an important motivator for the team. A real team player.
Alpe d'Huez said:
That's rough about Edelman. Having watched some of that game, I'm not someone who thinks the Pats will go 16-0, maybe not even 14-2. They do have more offensive weapons than in the past, and the defense is solid, especially the secondary, but I worry about some gaps on the lines. They don't seem to have the best past rush, and if Nate Solder is hurt enough to miss significant time, that will hurt a lot as well. However, Brady looked like an MVP, and very sharp. I won't put it past him to bring any teammate to rise way above their normal ability, and Belicheck can coach any player to a level they never thought they had, or before showed.
I certainly agree with movingtarget above, but I too won't be surprised at that. Cooks for sure could fill the void caused by JE's injury. Maybe someone else?

Update on KC's RB Spencer Ware: out for season.

And Bears WR Cameron Meredith Carted off vs Titans with knee injury. Reportedly tore ACL.

Too many injuries.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
blutto said:
....two words....Cooper....Rush.....

Cheers
I like Rush. Alice Cooper not so much. ;)

....truth be known think Rush, the uhhh, band, suck , and Alice was a great gag for a while....but this Rush kid may be worth watching....a guy named Witten, who apparently has been around a bit, seems pretty impressed...

Cheers

From what I saw, Rush has played against more scrubs than Moore. But, he will come cheaper, if the Cowboys only want 2 QB's on staff.

Early Alice Cooper (band) had some quite good albums front to back, later Alice (more solo) had some nice hits, but the albums were less solid. Though Welcome to my Nightmare was a pretty good concept album, if a bit of a gimmick, with a TV show to boot, something he basically rode the rest of his career, really. Always thought Ozzy stole some of this when he went solo.

Agree on Rush. Talented musicians, hard to digest a lot of, until you get a taste for it.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
From what I saw, Rush has played against more scrubs than Moore. But, he will come cheaper, if the Cowboys only want 2 QB's on staff.

Early Alice Cooper (band) had some quite good albums front to back, later Alice (more solo) had some nice hits, but the albums were less solid. Though Welcome to my Nightmare was a pretty good concept album, if a bit of a gimmick, with a TV show to boot, something he basically rode the rest of his career, really. Always thought Ozzy stole some of this when he went solo.

Agree on Rush. Talented musicians, hard to digest a lot of, until you get a taste for it.

....yeah especially when two on the team are screaming arsholes....btw Peart is a sweetheart....

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS