• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 281 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
BullsFan22 said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well at least the Vikes won. Which is a Nordic invasion better than Seattle is doing vs the Packers. What a total team loss for Seattle. Or it will be when the game ends.

My vote for worst division in the NFL? Right now NFC West.

Yes they are missing ET and will miss him the rest of the year, but was it really Rodgers slicing them up or was it a combo of Rodgers playing really well and the Hawks D just disappearing? I know the offense is largely up and down and you never know what you are going to get, but despite the weather, I didn't think they'd just fold like that. I mean, they were never in it. It's been years since they've played this bad and lost by this much. It reminds me a bit of last years divisional vs Carolina, though they made a nice comeback to make a game of it in the 4th.
Before answering that, I have to say a couple things. First, WOW! What a SNF game. That's why I should not have crowned the Cowboys. Giants are the only team to beat the Cowboys this year so far. Twice.

Second, a kind of sad fact. The last Browns QB to win a Browns game? Johnny Manziel. And who did Heisman winner Lamar Jackson, a 19 year old kid, end up with last night? Johnny Manziel. Lamar's mama better put on the pads and have a talk with her son.

As for Seattle vs GB, while ET (extra terrestrial) Earl Thomas is out of this world when it comes to the FS position, Seattle losing had nothing to do with missing Earl. It was a complete, total team loss. Give Rodgers credit, he tore em up. Then add to that 5 INTs tossed by Russ Wilson, some not his fault, but none the fault of the OL. Nearly impossible to overcome that many turnovers. Defensively, Seattle had a poor game plan and they seemed out of sorts. Example 1, Seattle never blitzed to get pressure on Rodgers. Seattle only rushed 4, and got no pressure that amounted to much. Rodgers got the ball out quickly, but when he needed time, he had up to 7 (seven) seconds in the pocket. That is an eternity no defense can withstand. Why Seattle didn't blitz is up to DC Chris Richard to answer. My guess is that besides no Earl, CB Shead and nickle Lane were out of sorts, so the DC I'm sure wanted to drop as many in coverage as possible. Problem is, it was not working. So blitz. That brings up Example 2, Something was up with CB Shead and/or Lane, but I think Shead. GB picked on him all night. Better than picking on Sherman, true. Now, nickle back Lane is a good slot corner, but not a good outside corner. Yet the really odd thing was that Shead and Lane swapped positions a few times. That kind of swapping should be a no-no, unless something is not right. Seattle got out coached and out executed. They got an azz whipping. So much for them hitting the gas pedal!

i didn't expect that result but Green Bay and Rodgers are back with their mind on the job. Cowboys game was an interesting one, two good defenses. Hard fought game with some great defensive performances.

Funny thing about that article is that I think Prescott was one of the main reasons Dallas lost the game. And I don't only mean the two ints plus the fumble. When the Giants continued to press on defense, he kept looking for break-outs from it from his receivers, and through progressions almost like Tim Tebow waiting for something big to happen. He didn't have the ability to pull the trigger when Dallas would run three wide, or crossing routes it seemed. Had Romo played... But Romo didn't play, there was never a chance he'd play, and he may have been so rusty, he could have thrown worse. And quite possibly the cold kept Dak from feeling he could fit the ball into a very small window. Dallas also gave up on the run late for some reason. But let's also give credit to the Giants, their offense didn't do much, but they had a great defensive game plan, and stuffed the Cowboys, even at the line of scrimmage.

As to Green Bay and Seattle, I think this is the Packer team people expected to see all year before the season started. They were very aggressive on offense, and Rodgers who only completed 18 throws, but many were impressive, even in the snow.

Wow the 49ers stink. That was uglier than ugly. Bryce Petty looked as not-ready as Jerrod Goff doesn't look ready, but he kept it together. Once again, Kaepernick can't throw with any accuracy beyond about 10 yards.

Atlanta took no prisoners.

Nice win for the Titans over the Broncos.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Jeff Fisher fired. One week after getting 2 year extension.
Fisher signed the extension before the season started, but it was kept secret for some reason or other until December 4th, when it was finally leaked to the media on the morning before losing to the NE Patriots.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18263718/jeff-fisher-fired-coach-st-louis-rams

As a huge Seattle Seahawks fan, I love seeing upheaval in division rivals. Especially the Rams, who have been a thorn in the Seahawks side for the entire Pete Carroll era. It's almost as satisfying as watching the 49'rs crash and burn after the 2013 season. Bwahahahaha..... :D

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Funny thing about that article is that I think Prescott was one of the main reasons Dallas lost the game. And I don't only mean the two ints plus the fumble. When the Giants continued to press on defense, he kept looking for break-outs from it from his receivers, and through progressions almost like Tim Tebow waiting for something big to happen. He didn't have the ability to pull the trigger when Dallas would run three wide, or crossing routes it seemed. Had Romo played... But Romo didn't play, there was never a chance he'd play, and he may have been so rusty, he could have thrown worse. And quite possibly the cold kept Dak from feeling he could fit the ball into a very small window. Dallas also gave up on the run late for some reason. But let's also give credit to the Giants, their offense didn't do much, but they had a great defensive game plan, and stuffed the Cowboys, even at the line of scrimmage.

As to Green Bay and Seattle, I think this is the Packer team people expected to see all year before the season started. They were very aggressive on offense, and Rodgers who only completed 18 throws, but many were impressive, even in the snow.

Wow the 49ers stink. That was uglier than ugly. Bryce Petty looked as not-ready as Jerrod Goff doesn't look ready, but he kept it together. Once again, Kaepernick can't throw with any accuracy beyond about 10 yards.

That was a lopsided game from the beginning... I was stunned at how terrible the Seahawks looked on defense, obviously the loss of Earl Thomas is a huge factor in the defense's terrible play, but worse was the way the offence played. Of the five interceptions that Wilson threw, three of them were tipped. That doesn't excuse Wilson's terrible play though, he was missing open receivers all over the field. That had to be the worst single game I've ever seen Russell Wilson play, slightly worse than the 2014 NFC Championship game against the same Packers, except for the last 4 minutes of that game of course...

Irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

That was a lopsided game from the beginning... I was stunned at how terrible the Seahawks looked on defense, obviously the loss of Earl Thomas is a huge factor in the defense's terrible play, but worse was the way the offence played. Of the five interceptions that Wilson threw, three of them were tipped. That doesn't excuse Wilson's terrible play though, he was missing open receivers all over the field. That had to be the worst single game I've ever seen Russell Wilson play, slightly worse than the 2014 NFC Championship game against the same Packers, except for the last 4 minutes of that game of course...

You are right, one of the worst games for the Hawks in the Russell Wilson era. Nothing seemed to work. Including Russell Wilson himself.

The good thing is it can't get much worse (well, apart from not scoring any points), and also the last three games are against struggling division rivals. Two of those at home, though the next one is on Thursday night, so hardly much time to analyze, recover, improve, and/or find news things.

Irondan said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Fisher signed the extension before the season started, but it was kept secret for some reason or other until December 4th, when it was finally leaked to the media on the morning before losing to the NE Patriots.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18263718/jeff-fisher-fired-coach-st-louis-rams

As a huge Seattle Seahawks fan, I love seeing upheaval in division rivals. Especially the Rams, who have been a thorn in the Seahawks side for the entire Pete Carroll era. It's almost as satisfying as watching the 49'rs crash and burn after the 2013 season. Bwahahahaha..... :D

I don't think the Eric Dickerson business helped him but the Rams have been bad in a bad division. 49ers are awful and the Cardinals have been mediocre. Ugly weekend for the NFC West with the Seahawk loss as well.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Kaep should retire while he still has his marbles and go the political route or with his social causes. His time as an elite NFL player let alone QB are over. It's been a long time since he produced consistently and had an effect on the outcome of games. In the past two seasons the 49ers actually win more games with Gabbert and that's saying a lot.

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Kaep should retire while he still has his marbles and go the political route or with his social causes. His time as an elite NFL player let alone QB are over. It's been a long time since he produced consistently and had an effect on the outcome of games. In the past two seasons the 49ers actually win more games with Gabbert and that's saying a lot.

How mistaken were the 49ers to part ways with Smith?? Hindsight is 20/20, yes, and he isn't exactly the best QB in the league, but he's doing what he is paid to do in KC. And of course KC as a whole are much, much better than SF, but still.

Irondan said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Now how'd that slip past me? Anyways, some might say the Rams org is messed up for cutting him now, but at least they saved him the dignity of only being tied for the most NFL losses instead of losing more games and ending up in sole possession of the cellar. Some say Eric Dickerson had a hand in it. I don't know about that, but Fisher totally botched the handling of Eric and the fallout.

Now that Fisher is gone, RB Todd Gurley came out and said the Rams have a middle-school offense. Ouch.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Irondan said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Now how'd that slip past me? Anyways, some might say the Rams org is messed up for cutting him now, but at least they saved him the dignity of only being tied for the most NFL losses instead of losing more games and ending up in sole possession of the cellar. Some say Eric Dickerson had a hand in it. I don't know about that, but Fisher totally botched the handling of Eric and the fallout.

Now that Fisher is gone, RB Todd Gurley came out and said the Rams have a middle-school offense. Ouch.
Save him the dignity? They should have let him coach the rest of the season and break the record. Now he's only "tied" with Dan Reeves for that honor. Lol.

All joking aside, he should have been fired a long time ago. He's a loser...I've heard his nickname is "Mr. 7 & 9." His record with the Rams in 5 years was 31-45-1 and no playoffs. I mean c'mon...they fire first-time head coaches after two or three consecutive losing seasons and this guy hangs around forever with chronic sub-500 seasons. I know he won a Super Bowl, but wasn't that back in the 20th century or something? Lol :)

BullsFan22 said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

How mistaken were the 49ers to part ways with Smith?? Hindsight is 20/20, yes, and he isn't exactly the best QB in the league, but he's doing what he is paid to do in KC. And of course KC as a whole are much, much better than SF, but still.

Big mistake of course but Smith is playing with a much better team at the moment. The 49ers are a slow train to nowhere ! There will be more interest in their off season and the draft as the hiring and firing starts to happen. I saw an interesting interview with Smith where he said he never used to cope with the pressure and that was the main reason they let him go but for that matter neither does Kaep or they would have won a Super Bowl. Smith is playing well at the moment from the games i have seen. Kaep's last two games have been dreadful. He only looks good when defenses let him run. He can run I will give him that much. I have seen slower wide receivers !

Maybe Kaep should go back to the NCAA, or flag football? As to his political career, ouch. With RG3 not playing well at all again this week, I return to that article someone posted many months ago saying these two players, once so promising, are likely done as far as ever being a starting QB, as their habits are to entrenched. So very true.

Early in the season I wondered if Tom Brady still had it, or his arm strength was starting to dip and he was like Manning was two seasons ago. This is now the second game Tom has proven me completely wrong. In fact, he looked almost as good as he ever did last night carrying his team. He made some really nice throws in the clutch, and that last TD to Hogan (who?) was beautiful. Time and again Tom threw the ball down the field accurately, and with a nice touch, against a very good team. Who needs Gronkowski?

Speaking of, Gronk and his back surgery. The word was that the Pats didn't want to close the door for the playoffs, and that he may be able to plan in a Super Bowl, or maybe an AFC championship. And Gronk made a video with his dad just days after the surgery saying he felt good. But from what I can read, he is not playing again this season, or post season. It would take a miracle, and the Patriots are officially or unoffically saying he's done until next season. People seem to forget as great as he is, he's been pretty banged up for the last four years, and the Pats have learned to adapt without him. Last night we really saw it. Tom spread the ball out to 7 different receivers for 406 yards on just 25 passes. He almost had another TD, but got hit at the goal line and the pass was picked. Not only was Gronk out, Amendola sat as well.

NFL power rankings now have the Pats back at #1. Four teams jumped up though. KC (now at 3), NYG (8),Green Bay (12), both looked good lately, and Houston, who moved up 6 spots to 16. Tennessee moved up to 18. Both Carolina and Cincy are finally starting to play like everyone expected, but it's too little, too late. But they could upend some teams hoping for a playoff run.

Bad hit on Darren Sproles. He was kind falling forward while reaching for the ball which made it worse and the contact was made before he actually caught the ball even though he signaled a fair catch which was missed by the defender according to him ! Sometimes the fair catch signals are not very good and defenders just don't pick it up.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Bad hit on Darren Sproles. He was kind falling forward while reaching for the ball which made it worse and the contact was made before he actually caught the ball even though he signaled a fair catch which was missed by the defender according to him ! Sometimes the fair catch signals are not very good and defenders just don't pick it up.
How about Ryan Tannehill dodging a bullet on that nasty hit to his knee? The reports say that he sustained a grade 2 sprain of the ACL & MCL, as opposed to a complete rupture that would definitely need reconstructive surgery. The Dolphins say he is likley to mss the rest of the season, unless they were to make and advance deep into the playoffs:

https://www.all22.com/nfl/nfl-injury-updates-quarterbacks-tannehill-stafford-rodgers

It's amazing how older QBs like Brady, Brees & Palmer have held up virtually injury-free so far this season. But I think Brady is in for a real test against the hard-hitting blitzing defense of Denver this Sunday afternoon. I'm sure Wade Phillips will design a defensive game plan that pressures Brady with LB/DB blitz packages (if they can first stop NE's potent running game). Watch for Miller and Ward to try and rattle Brady and disrupt his rhythm. The game is in the Mile High City, and is pretty much a "do or die" for the Broncos to stay in the playoff hunt...should be a humdinger.

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
How about Ryan Tannehill dodging a bullet on that nasty hit to his knee? The reports say that he sustained a grade 2 sprain of the ACL & MCL, as opposed to a complete rupture that would definitely need reconstructive surgery. The Dolphins say he is likley to mss the rest of the season, unless they were to make and advance deep into the playoffs:

https://www.all22.com/nfl/nfl-injury-updates-quarterbacks-tannehill-stafford-rodgers

It's amazing how older QBs like Brady, Brees & Palmer have held up virtually injury-free so far this season. But I think Brady is in for a real test against the hard-hitting blitzing defense of Denver this Sunday afternoon. I'm sure Wade Phillips will design a defensive game plan that pressures Brady with LB/DB blitz packages (if they can first stop NE's potent running game). Watch for Miller and Ward to try and rattle Brady and disrupt his rhythm. The game is in the Mile High City, and is pretty much a "do or die" for the Broncos to stay in the playoff hunt...should be a humdinger.

Yeah Tannehill is a big blow to Miami. Those tackles to the legs when the QB is standing still and then another tackler comes in from another direction do a lot of damage. The tackles from behind are not as bad.

I'm not sure what to make of the Dolphins chances. They were basically blown out last week, and it wasn't just Tannehill, who had been playing fairly well.

As to the 49ers, it's not just losing Alex Smith, but Harbaugh. Though one could make the argument that when Smith got hurt and Kaepernick filled in, Harbaugh not giving the job back to Smith when he got healthy sealed both their fate.

Seahawks play the Rams tonight. For some reason the Rams have had their number recently, but I almost expect a Seattle blowout.

Michael Floyd cut by the Cardinals for a DUI arrest, and apparently some other issues as well.

The NFL winter meetings were yesterday and by the look of things, I'd guess on January 15th the Spanos family will announce that the Chargers are moving to Los Angeles to play in the Rams new stadium. Once that happens, look for a harder push from Las Vegas to get the Raiders to move there, but also a local push in the Bay Area to have the Raiders play in Levi's stadium with the 49ers. Both are still iffy, but plausible.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm not sure what to make of the Dolphins chances. They were basically blown out last week, and it wasn't just Tannehill, who had been playing fairly well.

As to the 49ers, it's not just losing Alex Smith, but Harbaugh. Though one could make the argument that when Smith got hurt and Kaepernick filled in, Harbaugh not giving the job back to Smith when he got healthy sealed both their fate.

Seahawks play the Rams tonight. For some reason the Rams have had their number recently, but I almost expect a Seattle blowout.

Michael Floyd cut by the Cardinals for a DUI arrest, and apparently some other issues as well.

The NFL winter meetings were yesterday and by the look of things, I'd guess on January 15th the Spanos family will announce that the Chargers are moving to Los Angeles to play in the Rams new stadium. Once that happens, look for a harder push from Las Vegas to get the Raiders to move there, but also a local push in the Bay Area to have the Raiders play in Levi's stadium with the 49ers. Both are still iffy, but plausible.

The Niners and Raiders sharing a stadium!?!? I hope that doesn't happen.

It's a shame that the Chargers and Raiders will both be moving.

Now that Fisher is out, I expect an easy game for the Hawks. He's thrown some real curveballs out there the last few seasons and for some reasons the Hawks haven't been able to adjust and they've been frustrated.

It's gonna be very hard for the Dolphins. They still have to rely on the Broncos to lose, but whatever happens they've had a great second half of the season.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

It seems that the Miami run was coming to an end anyway. They struggled to beat the 49ers. Gase has done well in his first year. 49ers actually interviewed him before Chip ! Rams win games on their defense but their offense is horrible. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers beat them next week after beating them 28-0 in week one. Neither team has anything to play for and with Fisher gone the Rams are not looking much better than the 49ers anyway. Michael Floyd it seems was found in his car passed out and it was his third or fourth DUI . If he is signed elsewhere it is predicted that he will have to serve a suspension. Sounds like similar issues to Bruce Miller from the 49ers alcohol related ones.

As for Harbaugh it seems he got on the wrong side of the GM and the owners at the 49ers and sealed his own fate. It seems that the GM at the 49ers is going to be canned if the rumors are accurate but he has been linked to Denver as some sort of consultant. Many people expect Kaep to put himself on the market at the end of the season and not take the option of another year with the 49ers. Who would pay good money for him God knows. He knocked back a spot at Denver which was a sizeable pay cut but they did offer a contract restructure as well after the first year. His politics will lessen his options especially with the more conservative owners. The Jets and Texans are having big QB issues. Most 49ers fans have had enough of Kaep and Gabbert but the team has multiple issues and won't be a quick fix of course. The really need a good draft similar to the Cowboys with Elliott and Prescott, they are desperate for play makers but those types of players are rare in any draft, ones that can have such an immediate impact on a team. Depending on who you believe it's said that last year's draft was better for QB stocks. The 49ers are expected to draft a QB as their second or third round pick.

That's going to be a problem for the next draft. The worst teams in the league are the Browns, 49ers, Bears, and Jets. All four need QBs, probably. Unless you think Matt Barkley is the solution in Chicago, and Bryce Petty is in New York, and RG3 is in Cleveland and...Christian Ponder is in SF. You might also want to add Jacksonville to the list of teams that will be looking.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That's going to be a problem for the next draft. The worst teams in the league are the Browns, 49ers, Bears, and Jets. All four need QBs, probably. Unless you think Matt Barkley is the solution in Chicago, and Bryce Petty is in New York, and RG3 is in Cleveland and...Christian Ponder is in SF. You might also want to add Jacksonville to the list of teams that will be looking.

it might end up being a financial bonanza for the experienced QBs coming off contract and some of the back ups. There are a few QB free agents and there was some talk of Romo going to the Cardinals but you would think they would be looking for someone younger and less of a risk with Palmer getting on in age. Depending on what happens with Bridgewater, Bradford may be on the move again, I think Cousins is coming off contract, Kaep and Gabbert, Garropolo and a few others. You would think that the Redskins will make a good offer of renewal for Cousins. Some of the struggling teams will be willing to overpay for a QB of course and take a risk. RGIII at the moment is probably in the same category as Kaep. His team see him as a talent but a frustrating one who lacks consistency. I think the Bills QB Taylor is also off contract soon. Fans and experts seem to be in two minds about him. The few times I watched him this season he looked good. One of the better mobile QBs.

Good all around win for the Hawks. They clinched the NFC West once again (5th year in a row and 6 out of the last 7) and now will try to win the last two games of the regular season to try and clinch a 2nd seed behind the Cowboys. On one hand it was a good win and Wilson had a solid outing, 3 TD's, 19/26, 1 int. The defense held the Rams to a single FG and...nothing else. That's a good sign after last weeks debacle. Yes the Rams have struggled this year and they just fired Fisher, but still, something to build on. I expect them to win their remaining games and snag that 2nd seed. After that it will be fun to see them in the playoffs where I think they'll raise their game. I'd love to see a Hawks Cowboys NFC title game.

TRENDING THREADS