• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 557 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Minshew?! LOL! Capable of generating excitement, that's for sure. Confident even in the worst situations? You bet! Capable of winning games? Pulling games out late? Throwing the ball down the field with authority? Well, those may not matter if the team is okay going 7-10, but wants to fill seats by fans who want to see him play in amazing spurts. Kind of like a poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick perhaps.

I'm not sure Geno Smith is going to compete for a starting job anywhere. Granted, he played on a rotten Jets team, and has decent size and an okay arm, but he's not quick enough pulling the trigger, and throughout his entire career made too many mistakes when it hurt his teams.

Then again, someone could ask me if I think Drew Lock is capable of being a starting QB and my initial reaction isn't much greater than Minshew or Smith! To be honest, I'd roll the dice with Colin Kaepernick if they are going to make another QB move at this point.

I have to admit I think in the long run it may prove wise to let Russ go to Denver. He wasn't cheap, and the Broncos gave up too much to get him. NFL.com grade on NFC West teams draft picks (hint: Seattle comes out on top).
I'm totally serious/not serious but laughing with you about Minshew. Seahawk fans better prepare to enjoy a few (very few?) exciting moments unless the coaching staff magically transforms the draft Oline into a force that has been missing for 3 years. That, and have a passer that doesn't lob suicide passes to very valuable receivers.
The defense should be good but also can't afford to be on the field for 75% of the game and survive the season. LOL with you, Alpe!

I'm totally serious/not serious but laughing with you about Minshew. Seahawk fans better prepare to enjoy a few (very few?) exciting moments unless the coaching staff magically transforms the draft Oline into a force that has been missing for 3 years. That, and have a passer that doesn't lob suicide passes to very valuable receivers.
The defense should be good but also can't afford to be on the field for 75% of the game and survive the season. LOL with you, Alpe!
3 years?! They had no Oline, but then drafted RW who could make do with a poor Oline. I can't remember the last solid Oline in SEA. 1980?

I think they had decent Oline during at least part of the 80's. Not sure I'm a good source to remember though as I was growing up in the 80's and the Steelers were pretty bad during that decade.
They did. And then Jim Zorn decided to inflict a little moral retribution and discipline on the guys that protected him. He was a very deep believer, critical on partying and a reputed stingy guy on giving credit to his protective crew. It got bad enough the line started letting blockers through, on purpose. I think his last season they'd done poorly and he placed the blame on the O line. He and the coach, Jack Patera were both....retired out. Good riddance.
Cortez Kennedy, Hall of Famer came in the early 90's and was exceptional. Passed away shortly after induction into HOF. RIP to a really selfless and talented player.

But you're right; they've been off/on again since. RW and, especially Beastmode made them look better. Watch videos of Marshawn after first, second and third contact. He'd make anyone look good and the NFL misses him! Derek Henry comes close to that kind of excitement.

How’d ESPN screw this up when they already had his Man in the Arena.
ESPN always gave the impression it has a long payroll on celebrity contracts but so does Fox I guess. Not sure about Brady as an analyst. No doubt he has the knowledge but he's not exactly Mr Personality and TV can be fickle with success and failure like the movie industry. His name alone will get viewers tuning in but that won't be enough in the long run if he isn't entertaining along with it but of course that hasn't stopped many others already on TV earning big money..............who he pairs up with will be just as important. Have to admit that Romo has started to irritate me............

Reactions: jmdirt
ESPN always gave the impression it has a long payroll on celebrity contracts but so does Fox I guess. Not sure about Brady as an analyst. No doubt he has the knowledge but he's not exactly Mr Personality and TV can be fickle with success and failure like the movie industry. His name alone will get viewers tuning in but that won't be enough in the long run if he isn't entertaining along with it but of course that hasn't stopped many others already on TV earning big money..............who he pairs up with will be just as important. Have to admit that Romo has started to irritate me............
Hopefully it’s Tampa Tom and not NE Tom or as Skip calls him “oh golly ge wiz old man”.
Just as long that he remembers he can’t curse on TV.

Someone on YouTube posted a comment saying effectively, “great I went from Brady stopping my team from Super Biwls and embarrassing them to now having to hear his commentary when they’re getting their butts kicked”.

Also with the amount of money, money he already has, all of his businesses, and Giselle he could probably be a majority or outright owner like he seems too want to be vs minority.

Last edited:
Hopefully it’s Tampa Tom and not NE Tom or as Skip calls him “oh golly ge wiz old man”.
Just as long that he remembers he can’t curse on TV.

Someone on YouTube posted a comment saying effectively, “great I went from Brady stopping my team from Super Biwls and embarrassing them to now having to hear his commentary when they’re getting their butts kicked”.

Also with the amount of money, money he already has, all of his businesses, and Giselle he could probably be a majority or outright owner like he seems too want to be vs minority.
He obviously loves the sport and the money is less meaningful for someone like him but its obvious he always wants to remain connected to the NFL unlike other great players who can retire and disappear without any looking back.

He obviously loves the sport and the money is less meaningful for someone like him but its obvious he always wants to remain connected to the NFL unlike other great players who can retire and disappear without any looking back.
Someone can pay me $375mil to stay connected to my old profession, too. At this point he's going to be worth more than Gissele someday soon.

I used to listen to TB12's radio show on my drive home, and he was usually interesting and entertaining. That's a different gig to commentating games though.
If he puts in the time or even close to it that he does now breaking down film and preparing for games, he honestly might be able to call every play that is happening or close to it far better then Romo.

He wants the money for something big he has planned.

And honestly with it on Fox, he could join Nick Wright and Rob Parker and have at it if he wanted too. Those segments would get huge views, same with him on Undisputed. And that $375 mil could increase when he finally retires.

If that's true about the Raiders work environment it sucks. But they also just recently cleaned house, so it's hard to tell what state of flux things are truly in.
They did. And then Jim Zorn decided to inflict a little moral retribution and discipline on the guys that protected him. He was a very deep believer...
Good post. Zorn was almost a top QB in the NFL, but his...insistence...on how things should be were indeed his undoing. Largent came from similar cloth, but never had that issue with the rest of the team. In the end Dave Kreig turned out to be a much better QB than Zorn, even though on paper it didn't seem likely.

As to Seattle OL history, the teams in the years 2003-2005 that OL was very solid. Steve Hutchinson, Walter Jones, Robbie Tobak, Chris Gray, Sean Locklear were all damned good, with Hutchinson and Jones the best left side duo in the NFL at that time, and both are now in the HOF. Hutchinson had a reputation of being one of the toughest guys ever in the trenches, and the soft spoken Jones one of the most savvy blind side tackles in history. His numbers are absolutely sick for a T: 180 games in Seattle, more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field he gave up only 23 sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times. Those numbers are just unreal, especially considering Matt Hassleback was not a very mobile QB. In fact, I still think if the 2006 Seahawks would have re-signed Hutchinson instead of letting him walk to Minnesota, and not pay Sean Alexander that huge contract, the Seahawks may have gone straight back to the SB and won it.

As to Brady, we won't know until he tries it. I actually still like Tony Romo, my issue is I think producers at CBS have pushed him to make predictions, instead of just letting him do so when he felt like it before, and that's caused some sort of ripple in his delivery that can get annoying.

As to ESPN, they've been the kings of "jockocracy" with hiring almost any former player in any sport, but I don't recall them ever focusing on huge names like Tom. I mean, who's the biggest name they've signed as an analyst? Maybe it's now going to be Aikman. I will though give ESPN props for their small, but often effective investigative teams, as well as letting Beth Mowins just be herself, and having her be the first woman to announce pbp in an NFL game. I think the fact hardly anyone noticed when it happened is a testament to her skills, and ESPN deserves credit for breaking that barrier down, which took way the hell too long, and I'm not exactly a super "woke" person. Anyone who's ever been to an NFL game and looked around will notice a lot of women in the crowd. The NFL has proudly stated up to 50% of their fan base is female, and they may be right. (Credit to Lesly Visser and Phyllis George for breaking down similar barriers many years ago. Especially Visser).

And they got Mathieu from the Chiefs...be interesting to see how the Chiefs go this season.
I think they are going to be quite good, another deep playoff run. They have one of the top 5 QB's in the league, maybe the best, going into his prime. A great coach, still have a lot of good players, and had a very good draft. Part of the problem is they are playing in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL now.

If that's true about the Raiders work environment it sucks. But they also just recently cleaned house, so it's hard to tell what state of flux things are truly in.

Good post. Zorn was almost a top QB in the NFL, but his...insistence...on how things should be were indeed his undoing. Largent came from similar cloth, but never had that issue with the rest of the team. In the end Dave Kreig turned out to be a much better QB than Zorn, even though on paper it didn't seem likely.

As to Seattle OL history, the teams in the years 2003-2005 that OL was very solid. Steve Hutchinson, Walter Jones, Robbie Tobak, Chris Gray, Sean Locklear were all damned good, with Hutchinson and Jones the best left side duo in the NFL at that time, and both are now in the HOF. Hutchinson had a reputation of being one of the toughest guys ever in the trenches, and the soft spoken Jones one of the most savvy blind side tackles in history. His numbers are absolutely sick for a T: 180 games in Seattle, more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field he gave up only 23 sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times. Those numbers are just unreal, especially considering Matt Hassleback was not a very mobile QB. In fact, I still think if the 2006 Seahawks would have re-signed Hutchinson instead of letting him walk to Minnesota, and not pay Sean Alexander that huge contract, the Seahawks may have gone straight back to the SB and won it.

As to Brady, we won't know until he tries it. I actually still like Tony Romo, my issue is I think producers at CBS have pushed him to make predictions, instead of just letting him do so when he felt like it before, and that's caused some sort of ripple in his delivery that can get annoying.

As to ESPN, they've been the kings of "jockocracy" with hiring almost any former player in any sport, but I don't recall them ever focusing on huge names like Tom. I mean, who's the biggest name they've signed as an analyst? Maybe it's now going to be Aikman. I will though give ESPN props for their small, but often effective investigative teams, as well as letting Beth Mowins just be herself, and having her be the first woman to announce pbp in an NFL game. I think the fact hardly anyone noticed when it happened is a testament to her skills, and ESPN deserves credit for breaking that barrier down, which took way the hell too long, and I'm not exactly a super "woke" person. Anyone who's ever been to an NFL game and looked around will notice a lot of women in the crowd. The NFL has proudly stated up to 50% of their fan base is female, and they may be right. (Credit to Lesly Visser and Phyllis George for breaking down similar barriers many years ago. Especially Visser).

I think they are going to be quite good, another deep playoff run. They have one of the top 5 QB's in the league, maybe the best, going into his prime. A great coach, still have a lot of good players, and had a very good draft. Part of the problem is they are playing in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL now.
Technically ESPN has the Mannings but who knows how much power they actual control vs Peyton.

Thanks for the Memory Lane, Alpe. You're right...Hutchinson getting off the roster and Sean Alexander being totally cooked doomed them. Still, in 2010 a sub .500 team rode Beastquake past the Saints for the highlight archives.

As for commentators, I like Romo's real-time and realistic analysis. He almost ruins some plays with his ability to read and communicates without sounding like he's pronouncing Biblical wisdom. Very accessible with a great sense of humor.

Tom Brady ...hopefully doesn't turn into Steve Young and make every game a reference to his past. I also agree with your observation on women's broadcast involvement; the NFL needs that. Their fan base is evolving and women represent the best possible US growth, IMO.

Me, too. The guy's career is total top-shelf. Going to a rebuild like Seattle.....Montana anyone? Didn't help his rep, orthopedic or financial situation at all. Still, as an ex-racer it's hard to give up the life.
I can’t see him going anywhere else if he does return but Saints. New offense, players, and everything. And yes, he should stay retired. Live your life Drew. You earned it!

TRENDING THREADS