• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Jerseys - 2016 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: New Jerseys - 2016 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Te

luckyboy said:
CWCv7UbUwAAcH0I.jpg

At least it's not black is the nicest thing to say about this. No design whatsoever

Apparently they took fashion advice from the designers of the new Androni kit and/or Acqua Sapone &#128528

Not good, not good at all.

Katusha is aimin for a less 'russian' - more international profile. I am big fan of simple kits like sky, Iam and now also katusha. I think that new kit is absolutely great - apart from the red shorts. Not a fan of red shorts.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I really dislike the transliteration of the team as well.

ю ≠ у

Given the "sh" they've used English orthographic norms as the transliteration standard, therefore

Катюша = Katyusha
Катуша = Katusha

The former is correct Cyrillic (and the one that makes sense), therefore the former transliteration is the right one :p

Hence why they're Katjoesja, Katjuscha etc.

They've always previously had the Russian on the jersey, so it's been in Cyrillic, but I am not able to un-see them putting such an error on their jersey. It's a small thing but it's going to bug me every time.
To be fair, it's not an error per se, just not an orthodox transliteration. An English speaker would probably read it with a [ju:))], which is a fair approximation of the original sound.

We can always call them Team Cursive Aleph.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Libertine Seguros said:

ю ≠ у

Given the "sh" they've used English orthographic norms as the transliteration standard, therefore

Катюша = Katyusha
Катуша = Katusha

The former is correct Cyrillic (and the one that makes sense), therefore the former transliteration is the right one :p

They've always previously had the Russian on the jersey, so it's been in Cyrillic, but I am not able to un-see them putting such an error on their jersey. It's a small thing but it's going to bug me every time.
To be fair, it's not an error per se, just not an orthodox transliteration. An English speaker would probably read it with a [ju:))], which is a fair approximation of the original sound.

We can always call them Team Cursive Aleph.
Anglophone commentary streams seem to be split but the larger number of commentators seem to favour omitting the semivowel, to my consternation.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:

ю ≠ у

Катюша = Katyusha
Катуша = Katusha

Transliteration is a choice, not a matter of strict phonetics. English uses u to represent the sound ju̟ː after several consonants, including t, but never uses the yu digraph to represent it.

Re:

mikkelfrandsen said:
Katusha is aimin for a less 'russian' - more international profile. I am big fan of simple kits like sky, Iam and now also katusha. I think that new kit is absolutely great - apart from the red shorts. Not a fan of red shorts.
Maybe, though I note the Russian soccer team are using that raspberry red as well. Is it a national colour in some way, like the Belgian blue? (Not the cow, the cycling/football kit)

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Libertine Seguros said:

ю ≠ у

Катюша = Katyusha
Катуша = Katusha

Transliteration is a choice, not a matter of strict phonetics. English uses u to represent the sound ju̟ː after several consonants, including t, but never uses the yu digraph to represent it.
Most of the time there are transliteration standards though; Usually the Russian palatal vowels are written as two letters with a y preceding to split them from the "normal" equivalents:

а / я "a / ya"
э / е "e / ye"
о / ё "o / yo"
у / ю "u / yu"

e "ye" can vary, especially in names it is often omitted leaving pairs (Evgeni/Yevgeni or Ekaterina/Yekaterina for example). However "yu" for ю is pretty consistent, except when Anglicizing names (eg Юлия "Yulia/Julia" but never "Ulia"). While transliteration is not a matter of strict phonetics, there are also conventions which are not only helpful but often necessary. That's why "zh" has come into consistent usage as a way of representing ж [ʒ] when transliterating Russian names as [z] is the voiced counterpart of and in English "sh" represents the voiceless counterpart of [ʒ], despite that in various words in English "j", "g", "s" and "z" can all fulfil this function and the combintion "zh" is unknown.