• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Jerseys - 2024 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Decathlon-Ag2r goes ... Israel-Bora.

3928013-79793028-2560-1440.jpg
It's a good kit - for another team. I get that the sponsor has changed but they look like multiple other teams in the peloton now.

View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1773671377607819326

I honestly don't get it: why?

Do these things really sell in commercially relevant amounts? I very rarely see replica kits of current/recent teams (and suspect that most I do see are Chinese knock-offs), and never these one-offs. Roadside crowds are not all wearing team colours like football fans do. Who will become aware of EF as an education company through this that is not already aware of them already through the sponsorship?

This might not be the best example to go off on this rant: it is part of launch of a Rapha Flandrian range, but on the whole: why?

That said, it might be my favourite EF kit, because I have never liked any of the previous ones one little bit.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1773671377607819326

I honestly don't get it: why?

Do these things really sell in commercially relevant amounts? I very rarely see replica kits of current/recent teams (and suspect that most I do see are Chinese knock-offs), and never these one-offs. Roadside crowds are not all wearing team colours like football fans do. Who will become aware of EF as an education company through this that is not already aware of them already through the sponsorship?

This might not be the best example to go off on this rant: it is part of launch of a Rapha Flandrian range, but on the whole: why?

That said, it might be my favourite EF kit, because I have never liked any of the previous ones one little bit.
This does look like it's a pretty classy kit whereas most of the other one-off ones have been messy, for sure.

But the reason is that Vaughters is very driven by marketing, and his team is one of the smaller budgets in the World Tour, so he's more likely than most to push this kind of thing that aims to get more revenue in out of existing sponsors. Does it likely make them a huge amount of money? Probably not, as mentioned we don't exactly see a lot of these replicas on the road anyway. But being able to use EF as a team to promote their new lines and to market new ranges might make them more attractive to Rapha to put money into.

From the outside, it has a very Manchester United "seventh kit for wearing only on Tuesday night away games east of the Greenwich Meridian in March" vibe, but if it's something that means they can stretch the existing sponsorship money a bit further, then they'll go for it. And Vaughters will pretend it's something revolutionary and making statements about the direction of the sport if he needs to in order to attract some press to it, and then we'll all have forgotten about it come May when they introduce a special Giro d'Italia kit.

• Love
What are the rules now on different jerseys for a race? A couple of years ago this was disallowed, right? Wasn't there one time that Quickstep wanted to ride with a different jersey (10 years ago maybe), and UCI stopped them?

I think teams have long been able - and in some cases required - to wear a special edition jersey for one race. The entire race, that is, not just the final stage of a GT.

Think the rule got loosened up a bit, so teams are allowed to wear special jerseys for more than one race.

Radioshack didn't clear their Livestrong jerseys in 2010. So they were forced to change back to their normal jerseys during the final stage of the 2010 Tour de France.

If I remember correctly though. The Alpecin mercie Poupou tribute jersey, simply was so beautiful that everyone including ASO & UCI wanted them to wear it. So permission was given very promptly!

Radioshack didn't clear their Livestrong jerseys in 2010. So they were forced to change back to their normal jerseys during the final stage of the 2010 Tour de France.

If I remember correctly though. The Alpecin mercie Poupou tribute jersey, simply was so beautiful that everyone including ASO & UCI wanted them to wear it. So permission was given very promptly!
I missed that part of the discussion. I read RHD's statement as EF hadn't gotten approval. My mistake.