• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Newsflash. Brian Cookson, british cycling, to stand against Pat McQuaid (SUI) for uci

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does anyone else think that there was too much going on at the top for Cookson not to have known?

He seems to be blind to various indiscretions in the UK and now within the UCI.

I'm seriously doubting that he's the right person to take the sport forward.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I've come to the point where I'd prefer McQuaid over Cookson. A British UCI president while a british team is dominating doesn't seem right to me. Ideally someone else would win but oh well.

Finding out that McQuaid cover Contador on another positive, one more reason to like him more. With him maybe Contador will "find" his GT winner form again.

Seriously now

If McQuaid enters election and gets x votes, the countries that voted for him should be expelled from UCI to form their separate cycling union of <don't know how to name that>.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
There's reason to fear Cookson might be a corrupt quack. But we know McQuaid is exactly that. The choice is clear to me.

This +100000000000000000000000

Talk about a lynch mob mentality from plenty here, hilarious people are actually stating they'd prefer McQuaid, which is nothing short of bonkers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
Does anyone else think that there was too much going on at the top for Cookson not to have known?

He seems to be blind to various indiscretions in the UK and now within the UCI.

I'm seriously doubting that he's the right person to take the sport forward.

I know I have asked before - what are these 'indiscretions' that happened in BC?

As for the UCI - he has been on the Mgt Comm since 2009.
I know there is a group here who think that means Cookson is 'in the know' - it may come as a surprise but unfortunately Hein/Pat are not quite that dumb to discuss the corruption and fraud at committee meetings, if they did the minutes would be more fun to read.

A perfect example of how the UCI operates was this week when the 'executive' decided that they are the ones to decide the UCI rules and not the independent Court of Arbitration of Sport.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A leaked dossier that tells us nothing we didn't know with makarov & plants fingers all over it.

A man who said in January he wouldn't dream of standing against mcquaid who was doing a good job in his opinion.

Cookson says he'll be a 'listening president' - listening to makarov and plant

Like landis said, it's time to burn it all down

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
A leaked dossier that tells us nothing we didn't know with makarov & plants fingers all over it.

A man who said in January he wouldn't dream of standing against mcquaid who was doing a good job in his opinion.

Cookson says he'll be a 'listening president' - listening to makarov and plant

Like landis said, it's time to burn it all down

A lot has happened since January. Back then there was the 'wait & see' because of the Independent Investigation.
When Pat/Hein decided it was getting too Independent they killed it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
A few years from now, we'll be having the same discussions about Cookson that we're having now about McQuaid.

Most of you already know this too.

Explain how or why?

I don't get this sort of post. It is completely void of any point or argument.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Trust has to be earned. No reason to trust someone "new" in and of itself, no reason to condemn them either. Time will tell.

I would say I mistrust Cookson, but have no hard evidence. Why do I mistrust him? because he is involved in professional cycling, that's why.

Dr. Maserati said:
Explain how or why?

Just because you don't get the point, doesn't mean there isn't one that maybe others who don't need the obvious explained to them can get.

Cookson appears just as dirty as McQuaid. In a few years we'll revisit the same criticisms of McQuaid except we'll be applying them to Cookson.

I really had to explain this to you? Really? I assume you're in some time zone where it's drinking time, because you've obviously had a few.

Can't help but wonder what this thread and the McQuaid ones are doing in the Clinic?

Not that it matters a great deal to me, but thought it a bit odd. Is it just that any potentially volatile subject is automatically chucked here?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Cookson is President of BC. Sky is a British team. That is the argument.
(I know you know this but I thought I would just reiterate it.)

If he was a multiple winner of the Sea Otter Classic then Moose would probably vote for him since he always would have shown talent.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Last I heard the nominations were within the time limit and from federations he is a member of, so the vote doesn't matter for the election.

May be wrong though, will check this evening.

Article 51, section 1 of the UCI Constitution (http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34040&LangId=1)

"1. The candidates for the presidency shall be nominated by the federation of the candidate."

This is interpreted by most people as being the home (singular) federation of the candidate, not one that offers the person an honorary membership, i.e. Morocco & Thailand.

This was the point under dispute by Plant, Makarov, et al, when requesting a ruling from CAS recently, that the "Executive" denied.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Just because you don't get the point, doesn't mean there isn't one that maybe others who don't need the obvious explained to them can get.

Cookson appears just as dirty as McQuaid. In a few years we'll revisit the same criticisms of McQuaid except we'll be applying them to Cookson.

I really had to explain this to you? Really? I assume you're in some time zone where it's drinking time, because you've obviously had a few.

Nice, the personal stuff.
Its early here (which in itself is no reason not to be drinking) but, sadly no.

Lets start from the beginning, appears or is?

If Cookson farms out anti-doping as he has said he will, how does he get up to anything close to McQuaid/HV?

Don't be late Pedro said:
Cookson is President of BC. Sky is a British team. That is the argument.
(I know you know this but I thought I would just reiterate it.)

If he was a multiple winner of the Sea Otter Classic then Moose would probably vote for him since he always would have shown talent.

If by Sea Otter Classic you mean virtually every race on the US calendar, then maybe.

It's no "Atomic Jock Race", I'll grant you that.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
If by Sea Otter Classic you mean virtually every race on the US calendar, then maybe.

It's no "Atomic Jock Race", I'll grant you that.
Sea Otter Classic seems to attract big names from what I can see. Don't knock it. And I like Otters so its a win win.

Dr. Maserati said:
Nice, the personal stuff.
Its early here (which in itself is no reason not to be drinking) but, sadly no.

Lets start from the beginning, appears or is?

If Cookson farms out anti-doping as he has said he will, how does he get up to anything close to McQuaid/HV?

If you're going to be abrasive, don't be surprised if you get a backhand. And don't whine about it.

Look, Cookson has said many things. He previously backed McQuaid's re-election bid. How does one who wants to change the sport for the better end up backing scum like McQuaid?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Who knew that Sea Otter and the Atomic Jock Race were such accurate predictors of future greatness?
Well, you did to some extent. You always said he had talent.
As Frank might have sang...

Start spreading the news
I am leaving today
I want to be a part of it
Europe, Europe

These clip-in shoes
They are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
Europe, Europe

I want to wake up in that city
That doesn't sleep
And find I'm King of the Hill