• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jasper was coming up to join them real soon...oh well, we will never know now
I don't think so at all, but I would have liked that just to see what Alpecin was going to do had Van Aert not punctured. Was Van der Poel going to lead out Philipsen? I can not for the life of me imagine him doing that with Van Aert there. I can't imagine Van der Poel giving it away to Philipsen even if Van Aert wasn't there. Was Philipsen going to try to lead out Van der Poel? Could turn out even worse because in a sprint with a lead out, Van Aert's chances would be a lot bigger than a 1v1 sprint. Or would the Alpecin boys have tried tag teaming Van Aert, attacking in turn? And what would they do if Van Aert only reacted to Van der Poel, but let Philipsen ride? That would have been hilarious.

Reactions: dazaau
Man I feel for him.
I've been a VdP fan from day one but never seeing Wout win a Monument after that Sanremo is starting to hurt.
Hopefully better luck next year.

Exactly the same here. However I don't believe he will keep running into bad luck, it will happen as long as he will keep getting into finals. And no, I don't think he's anything like Vanmarcke, more chances will come.

Wout said that he didn't want to ride together with MvdP to the finish from far, because he worried Mathieu would attack from behind his wheel and drop him like in previous weeks.

IMO this is typical for why MvdP usually gets the better of him. Wout is more neurotic and too easily persuaded to adopt a cautious, reactionary role, even though Wout's best when he trusts his own power and takes initiative himself (Ventoux, Calais, etc).

Think it's fairly ridiculous to call it bad mentality when Van Aert's tactics were near perfect all race and he didn't get a fair chance in a H2H situation due to a mechanical.

But this is just correlating unrelated things because it satisfies some just world fallacy bs.
maybe he could/should go with MVP when they had 10s but for some reason he didn't... then he was back in the situation with 2 alpecin + bunch of other rather big guns in the group and certainly more variables and risks in the mix so there was bigger chance for crash/mistake. it nearly worked in his favor but MVP stayed on the bike after Philipsen's shenanigans and Wout was forced/decided to attack hard on risky terrain and it didn't work out at the end.

but yeah, everyone is general after the battle

Reactions: Open Horizon
Even though it’s been easy to root against JV I really feel awful for Wout. Worst timing imaginable to have a mechanical. I think Van der Poel would’ve rode with him. I don’t think he came to let Philipsen win. And I think Wout would’ve inched him in the sprint. Woulda coulda shoulda, wish we weren’t deprived of that potential finale.
Van der Poel said himself if Van Aert doesn't flat they probably ride to the velodrome together.

Even though it’s been easy to root against JV I really feel awful for Wout. Worst timing imaginable to have a mechanical. I think Van der Poel would’ve rode with him. I don’t think he came to let Philipsen win. And I think Wout would’ve inched him in the sprint. Woulda coulda shoulda, wish we weren’t deprived of that potential finale.
if he wanted to ride with MVP he should've few minutes earlier when they had 10s gap and Wout decided to wait... but yeah, woulda coulda shoulda. i'm MVP fan but I also root for Wout (when MVP isn't present) and this was a huge bummer...

MVdP was beyond a doubt by far the strongest in the race the amount of work he put into that group from 90KM to go and all his attacks he dictated the race and to have that amount of poower left after all that work for so long and still distance everyone its ridiculous.

Yes Van aert was unlucky and bad timing but lets not act like he wasnt even able to drop Phillipsen,,if you cant even drop Phillipsen after dont doing any work for 40-50km even,,dont come and expect him to beat MVDP thats just silly and dumb in all fairness.

Great race the best steps it into another gear in the big moments - yet again.

Last edited:
MVdP was beyond a doubt by far the strongest in the race the amount of work he put into that group from 90KM to go and all his attacks he dictated the race and to have that amount of poower left after all that work for so long and still distance everyone its ridiculous.

Yes Van aert was unlucky and bad timing but lets not act like he wasnt even able to drop Phillipsen,,if you cant even drop Phillipsen after dont doing any work for 40-50km even,,dont come and expect him to beat MVDP thats just silly and dumb in all fairness.

This analysis is about on par with the insight Gilbert provided. Note: this is not a compliment.

• Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
This analysis is about on par with the insight Gilbert provided. Note: this is not a compliment.
Van Aert rode a very defensive race and wheelsucked more than usual, no? (which i dont fault duo to laporte and co but its just what happened) In that respect he should have alot of energy left but he also wasnt able to drop Philipsen which did more work and by quite the margin for a very long time, no?

im just stating what happened nothing else.(no hate) just dont bother with the wishfull thinking as i just see it how it is brother, he should be able to drop Philipsen if he ever was to challenge MVDP - and MVDP spent alot of energi from 90km and had 4 attacks and still that much left in the tank in the end also should tell everyone he was by far the strongest (again just based on what actually happened - IF Van Aert was able to drop Phillipsen as he should and then claw into MVDP lead then thats another discusion but that didnt happened which tells me even when Van Aert spent way less energi he still didnt have more than MVDP left otherwice he sould drop PHILIPSEN with EASE (cmon now) and atleast claw some seconds back having spent that less energi, but he wasnt able so yeah not really sure again whats cloduy about it the results speak for itself..

At some point the fanbase have to see people for what they are and not glorify them, as of now Van Aert is a glorified Greg Van Avermath and not cause i say so but cause the resuilts over 6 years say so, then the future will decide if he takes that step up or not.

As Philipe Gilbert i also have some experience from riding as a pro and disregarding a legend like that with what one could assume has more knowledge than most here hehe is kinda funny indeed, I dont agree with Philipe regarding Van aert was at fault for that puncture for what its worth tho and feels thats a bit harsh but then again hes a former winner and probably knows more than many of us, one would think.

Last edited:
Van Aert rode a very defensive race and wheelsucked more than usual, no?
No?

Mate I'm one of the most notorious WVA detractor on the forum, I started calling him Belgian pozzato 2 years ago and I stuck by that because of his defensive racing style in the classics.

And even I can see that in Roubaix he was more aggressive than usual. It was his attack before Arenberg that defines the race. It was the exact kind of tactics that he should have done years before, taking a risk from a distance to put the race in his favour and anticipate instead of defending and reacting like he always did.

Maybe after arenberg he was not pulling so much but that was because he created the perfect situation for his team.

No?

Mate I'm one of the most notorious WVA detractor on the forum, I started calling him Belgian pozzato 2 years ago and I stuck by that because of his defensive racing style in the classics.

And even I can see that in Roubaix he was more aggressive than usual. It was his attack before Arenberg that defines the race. It was the exact kind of tactics that he should have done years before, taking a risk from a distance to put the race in his favour and anticipate instead of defending and reacting like he always did.

Maybe after arenberg he was not pulling so much but that was because he created the perfect situation for his team.
Agree on everything you said! Exactly after arenberg he didnt DO anything neither should he thats not the point, the point is he should be more fresh than philipsen by alot?(surely please agree on this otherwice this is pointless haha). And be able to drop him with ease but he wasnt able to and that along with the more work philipsen put in and even more MVDP it says everything about who was by far the strongest. In your mind should he be able to drop philipsen which did more work for 50km if were beeing real here i mean?( i cant stress this enough its no hate its just facts based on what happened and ofcourse if he want to challenge MVDP he should drop philipsen EASILY - but he wasnt able to which is not me hating its just what happened....... )

As i said if Van Aert was able to drop PHILIPSEN which he should if you want him to beat MVDP, and dig into the lead with all that extra work MVDP put true from 90km he should honestly if he did this thats a conversation one could be had then but agan it didnt happend as he wasnt able to so all this wishful thinking is pointless the results and what happened speak for itself.

At some point people have to see certain rider for what they are - if that should change in the future that remains to be seen if he takes that next step or not but as of now the results last 6 years speak for itself and a big sample size to conclude certain things now....Van aert a brilliant versatile rider but lacks that extra strenght and power vs the two best how many times and years it has to happen for it to be more obvious...who knows what happen in the future he might take that extra step or not time will tell but as of now hes a glorified Van Avermath based on the results over 6 years (!) and not cause someone on a internett forum says so.

(Typing on mobile while walking in the corridors at work so sorry for all the typos blabla hehe)

Last edited:

Please stop posting.

i dont agree with vwpe.

One but though, I do notice Van Aert is often very reactive in the biggest classics. More watching on what his opponents do, hope to latch on and beat them in the sprint than really trying stuff out of the box himself.
During PR was the first time he also didn't ride much with the group, partly because he had Jumbo teammates behind, partly because he didn't want to risk VDP attacking again while he was riding.

I do believe WvA could force more in the monuments for himself if he dares to try. If there's one big difference between VDP and WvA in classics is that the first usually takes the iniative and WvA rarely does. He did open in the race in Roubaix I'll give him that but apart from that he's usually very reactive. I think he can get better results if he tries stuff out of the box/surprise attack etc.