• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2011
Visit site
ebandit said:
visit england and you will find that there is little tolerance to dopers

lance has had no sympathy from the british press / public and is NOT
wanted over here

Mark L

Nah, bull****. Remember Rio? He got away with it with a slap on the wrist, went back to play for the national team, and no f***s were given. And how about all the diving and cheating that goes on in football all the time? How's that different from doping? And does anybody care?

EDIT: Heck, he didn't just go back to play for the national team. He became captain of the national team.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
70kmph said:
Lance may still have a chance to redeem his self the way Hamilton has

Who says Hamilton has redeemed himself? Maybe he's sold himself to his new and only chance at money, hocking his book and stories, once that done, he's gone!

rio

jackwolf said:
Nah, bull****. Remember Rio? He got away with it with a slap on the wrist, went back to play for the national team, and no f***s were given. And how about all the diving and cheating that goes on in football all the time? How's that different from doping? And does anybody care?

EDIT: Heck, he didn't just go back to play for the national team. He became captain of the national team.

remind me.............what was rio found to have been doping with?

i recall him missing a test..................no positive..........if he was a convicted doper then things would be different

Y A W N ............all this because i refuted members claim that lance should fly the union jack as he would be welcome in the UK

Mark L

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ebandit said:

i recall him missing a test..................no positive..........if he was a convicted doper then things would be different

Y A W N ............all this because i refuted members claim that lance should fly the union jack as he would be welcome in the UK

Mark L

It wasn't "he missed a test": it was more like he ran away from a test while he was training with the rest of the team and switched off his mobile phone. Then he came up with some absolutely laughable bull**** excuse. What would you think if Armstrong or Contador just vanished at the very instant of somebody showing up for a surprise test? Furthermore, that carries an automatic two-year suspension, but was reduced to nine months (so yes, technically he's a convicted doper), which is a clear indication that people don't give two f***s.

And then there's that big YAWN of yours, which is an even clearer indication that you don't give two f***s yourself, and makes it obvious that your previous post is a huge pile of bull.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:

Mark L

I agree with this.

Obviously almost everyone in the clinic is skeptical to pro athletes excuses but that is not the case amongst the general public in the UK. As a general statement I'd say they are about 10 years behind the US in terms of believing spin and PR from pro athletes camps.

Most of the public believe that he either was using something recreational or forgot about the test.

I suspect that he was on a performance enhancer because the whole situation comes across like he knew his "glowtime" and did a runner. Weed clears from the test in approx 30 days and he was tested again in 2.

If he tested directly positive for steroids he would have been a pariah.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ebandit said:

Mark L

Esprit de l'escalier: are you trying to say he never tested positive?

Y a w n

jackwolf said:
And then there's that big YAWN of yours, which is an even clearer indication that you don't give two f***s yourself, and makes it obvious that your previous post is a huge pile of bull.

the BIG Y A W N is because this is the lance thread

and i stated lance as a convicted doper etc was NOT welcome in the UK

if your agrieved about rio...............create a rio thread

Y A W N .....................

Mark L

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
jackwolf said:
Esprit de l'escalier: are you trying to say he never tested positive?

I'm not sure if the post you are quoting is getting at that. It seems there are two arguments here:

1) Was Rio Ferdinand a doper.

2) Does the UK go soft on dopers.

I'm not sure if the guy you are quoting believes Ferdinand is a doper, personally I think he absolutely was.

To the second point, I think, no the UK goes hard on admitted convicted dopers. However, if there is any kind of plausible doubt they side with the athlete. Dwayne Chambers gets ****ted on for admitting everything whilst caught, while Ferdinand, Ruskedski and even Linford Christie are able to use spin and PR to get a pass in the eyes of the majority of the public.

Bringing it back on topic, in my opinion Lance will not get a pass in the UK because he's an admitted convicted doper. In 2010 when Lance was using his PR guru's to dismiss the evidence against him, Betsy has an axe to grind, labs can't be trusted to re-test samples etc. he would have been welcomed with wide arms but not now.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ebandit said:
Y A W N ............what's wrong with english?

I'll help you out with your English.

Oxford English Dictionary:

esprit de l'escalier (ɛspri də lɛscalje), esprit d'escalier [Diderot, Paradoxe sur le Comédien: F. escalier staircase], a retort or remark that occurs to a person after the opportunity to make it has passed.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
Bringing it back on topic, in my opinion Lance will not get a pass in the UK because he's an admitted convicted doper. In 2010 when Lance was using his PR guru's to dismiss the evidence against him, Betsy has an axe to grind, labs can't be trusted to re-test samples etc. he would have been welcomed with wide arms but not now.

Lance will not get a pass in the UK, but not because we have a lower tolerance for dopers or cheats--we don't. He won't get a pass because he's irrelevant and nobody gives a toss any more. He can't compete, and I don't think anybody's interested in whatever he has to say any more.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
jackwolf said:
Lance will not get a pass in the UK, but not because we have a lower tolerance for dopers or cheats--we don't. He won't get a pass because he's irrelevant and nobody gives a toss any more. He can't compete, and I don't think anybody's interested in whatever he has to say any more.

I think he'll try Italian Pro Bocce' next...they don't care about his prior enhancements and they're used to handling one ball at a time.

Carols said:

Good find. So LA was tested five times during the TdS that year, including three times for EPO. All three tests were reported negative, but two were further described as strongly suspicious. At that time, and at that lab, 80% of the bands had to be in the basic area for a test to be considered positive. One of LA's tests exhibited 75% basic, which is in the strongly suspicious area, whereas another was 70%, just below the cutoff for strongly suspicious (though it was still described as such in the report).

Since LA's confession, the whole significance of this report, of course, is whether it supports the charge that UCI covered up a positive. UCI is using this report to argue that it shows that it didn't, since there was no official positive. Based on these documents, it's pretty hard to argue against them.

However, the article also notes that LA was tested ten times at the TDF that year, five of them for EPO, all of them of course reported at the time as negative. The most suspicious of his samples registered at 72, though apparently the French used a different criterion and this was not reported as strongly suspicious. Taken together, though, this shows that at least 3/8 EPO tests LA had at that time were strongly suspicious, by the Swiss standards, including the one at the lower bounds of the criterion.

Though it doesn't matter now, results like this would be pretty strong evidence of EPO use. I'm pretty sure a large majority of samples with over 70% of the bands in the basic area are positive, but are scored negative to avoid occasional false positives. The odds of getting 3/8 tests like this from a clean rider would have to be pretty low. UCI certainly should have been suspicious of LA, but without a legitimate positive, they couldn't have sanctioned him.

pathetic

Irish2009 said:
Yes the British have no time for dopers, which is why Tom Simpson is so reviled.....................oh wait!

this line of argument is rather pathetic.......alberto convicted doper can still be admired and be respected...........he doped served his time........races

again this is the lance thread..............lance indiscretions are known...he is largely unrepentant and will be scorned worlwide

suggestion was that lance would be welcomed in the uk........i think not

tom is DEAD why not admire his accomplishments ......achieved when very few cared about cycling in the uk

Mark L

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ebandit said:
sounds french to me......so it's in OED does that make it any less pompous?

Mark L

If it's in the OED, it's English. Don't try to blame others for your own ignorance. Anyway, this is an Armstrong thread. If you want to discuss linguistics, open your own thread.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:

Mark L

Yea, he would only be welcomed under these circumstances if he were from the UK. Then, he'd be golden..........................................(..............................)