• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Should descents be a factor in GC/ are Tour's descents too dangerous

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Have the descents in this year's Tour de France been too dangerous?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Marva32 said:
No, they are not too dangerous. The riders seem to be taking things too fast for their equipment. The carbon rims they are using don't offer the same control that aluminum rims will offer as far as braking is concerned.
Is the difference enough to warrant a bike change?

benpounder said:
It boggles my mind that Andy complaining about the decent from the Cote de la Rochetta garners derision and yet Contador's complaining about Monte Crostis saw a stage negated with very little negative comment.

I’m not particularly fond of the brothers Schleck, but I just don’t understand this forum’s infatuation with hating them.

2 things

Firstly - I dont know if you were here for the Giro - if you were you obviously werent reading the race threads as Conti's complaints were greeted with a whole lot of negative comments and abuse.

Secondly - the Crostis descent IS actually considerably dangerous. Much more so than the ones being whinged about here. I was sorely disappointed with the decision to take out Crostis ... but more so at the way it was done than the decision itself which I kind of understood.

IMO Andy saw Contador complain about the Crostis and it was removed, so he thought he would try the same thing ....

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Well we know that the next time a reasonable sized bunch gets to the top of a climb in the wet there will be a mass sprint to get past AS because no-one wants that wheel going down. Nothing worse than a tight descent behind someone whose twitchy on the brakes.

rata de sentina said:
Is the difference enough to warrant a bike change?

Not sure if it warrants a bike change. If they know they have a difficult descent, why do they use the carbon wheels int he first place? They should have other options available, use them. I doubt that the difference on the rest of the stage is that great, and using aluminum rims could keep them in the race.

I'm not one of the many that dislike the Schlecks, but I am one who voted in the 97.1%, of a resounding "no". Same reasons as other people. They knew the route for months. Why complain now? It's not like this is the first year there have been tricky or even dangerous descents in the Tour. Hell, you want it rough, turn the clock back to the old timers, when nearly all the main roads were cobblestones and most of the col's were dirt or gravel.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm not one of the many that dislike the Schlecks, but I am one who voted in the 97.1%, of a resounding "no". Same reasons as other people. They knew the route for months. Why complain now? It's not like this is the first year there have been tricky or even dangerous descents in the Tour. Hell, you want it rough, turn the clock back to the old timers, when nearly all the main roads were cobblestones and most of the col's were dirt or gravel.

and the men were HARD

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
2 things...
One thing. I ride, nay, I suffer riding uphill just to ride downhill. I dont cheat riding up some cable car with my 40lbs downhill bike with the 10" travel front and back. No, I willingly suffer the torture of riding up 35km to get to the top of Galibier just so I can enjoy the hair raising experience of riding back down.

I have little respect for so called top notch riders such as Contador or Schleck who are afraid of a downhills. And it really bothers me when their petulance causes a change of route.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
One thing. I ride, nay, I suffer riding uphill just to ride downhill. I dont cheat riding up some cable car with my 40lbs downhill bike with the 10" travel front and back. No, I willingly suffer the torture of riding up 35km to get to the top of Galibier just so I can enjoy the hair raising experience of riding back down.

I have little respect for so called top notch riders such as Contador or Schleck who are afraid of a downhills. And it really bothers me when their petulance causes a change of route.

Come on, many people concerned felt the Crostis was way too dangerous, not just Contador. Schleck was the only one who commented about the Col du manse descent.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i read that the reason the crostis descent was cancelled wasn't because they thought it was too dangerous to ride, but because the teams wouldn't be able to support their riders with cars on the way down.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...rostis-riders-ds’s-happy-with-decision_174988

"...sport directors had complained that riders would be without mechanical assistance for much of the descent. Mechanics would be carrying spare wheels via a motorcycle, but any sort of serious mechanical could have spelled doom to the riders. A meeting among the 23 sport directors resulted in 18 voting not to race the Crostis and five in favor."

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
fuggles said:
I don't recall who said it, but a short time ago a rider said something to the effect of: "cycling is starting to be filled with little girls". Here's more evidence of that.

That was Cipo :) something about how society will exist only of women in 100.000 years or so, and that he doesn't want that that is already happening in procycling

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Come on, many people concerned felt the Crostis was way too dangerous, not just Contador. Schleck was the only one who commented about the Col du manse descent.
I wonder if Joseba Belocki might differ.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Decending is a skill in cycling, a skill I greatly admire and love practising (after riding the climb of course). If they think it's too dangerous, they have brakes, or they can go away and refine the skill. AS is only whining because he lost time.

Just race your bikes, thats what your payed to do. I would kill for someone to pay me to race

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think it is acceptable forum practice to quote your own sockpuppet in your sig.

Now they are concerned about today's finish?

If yesterday's/today's descent was/is dangerous, why no comment from them on the Col du Pas de Peyrol bunch crash descent?
That one, had actual major carnage and serious injuries to contenders.

Pretty obvious that the likes of Wiggins, Gesink, Brajkovic, Leipheimer etc would consider the narrow, flat roads dangerous.
Comes with riding Le Tour.

benpounder said:

You were wondering in your post why people on this forum hate the Schlecks ..... I was simply explaining one reason why. A reason you appear to agree with :confused:

Contador gets his fair share of abuse ... but AS is the only one who has complained about this descent - so is the one who you should have "litte respect for"

benpounder said:
It boggles my mind that Andy complaining about the decent from the Cote de la Rochetta garners derision and yet Contador's complaining about Monte Crostis saw a stage negated with very little negative comment.

I’m not particularly fond of the brothers Schleck, but I just don’t understand this forum’s infatuation with hating them.

benpounder said:
I wonder if Joseba Belocki might differ.
I've never heard Beloki complain or say anything aside from "That's cycling".

Hell, it's not even about being a hard man or anything. When I was a kid casually racing with my brother, I lost a "race" on a descent. I didn't complain, because it's racing even when you're like 12.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Descending is a part of the profesional cycling so if the Shcleks have problems with this maybe they should find another job. Swimming or running marathon might be an alternative for them ;-)

I always liked watch great descenders like Hushovd and Savoldelli is really fantastic to see riders with these skills riding down from the mountains. Of course it is boring for climbers to loose time on the descents but it is a part of the game.

In norwegian papers Hushovd was qoted after his stage win in the Aubisque, that he was thinking of his daughter Isabel when going down the descent so he did no take any chances, but the experienced motorcyclist from french televison said he never seen anyone riding like this before. So this is all about skills. If you got the skills and pay attention is possible to gain time, if you dont got the skills -practice and get better like other athletes, this is what professional sport is about improving your skills..

Descending is a part of the game , before the tour I was hoping for Andy to win the tour, after such moaning I hope he dont even make the podium. Cadel is now my man he can climb and he is a good descender.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As i have been going trou the posts a little bit, at least two said they wrongly put the "Yes-Button".

So Andy Schrecks approval rating is less than 2 percent. Never saw a rider outside of clinic issues loosing respect this fast.... ahh, not even riders with those issues.

What a unlikable crybaby.