• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - TdF Stage 6 Gérone - Barcelone (181.5 km)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Official thread - TdF Stage 6 Gérone - Barcelone (181.5 km)

CARTE.gif

PROFIL.gif

Last Km
PROFILKMS.gif

The Tour stops for no one, so let the wheels keep rolling...Profile indicates a great stage, perhaps some escapees who can make it to the finish, or guys like Freire, Kirchen and Pineau battling it out at the finish...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It would actually not surprise me if Armstrong will try and have a go at it on the steeper section, to get that one second to put him in yellow. Escapees have a fair chance tomorrow, since Columbia will not want to do all the work, Saxo doesn't seem too interested in the stage, and the SKL/BB/AG2R/FDJ's will try and set up a good group... Others to look for could include Wegmann, Johannes Frohlinger, Pozzato, Montfort, and possibly Haussler...

Expect some 'spanish' riders, perhaps even LL Sanchez or even more likely Uran and an Euskatel Boy...

This is the stage that I thought the first breakaway would succeed. I wasn't expecting it to succeed today (stage 5) but, fortunately, I did have Voeckler in my fantasy team!!

Bala Verde said:
... and the SKL/BB/AG2R/FDJ's/COF will try and set up a good group...

I hope so. I also have Moncoutie, Vaugrenard, Dessel, Roman Feillu, and Vogondy in my team.

Maybe Quickstep will let Chavenal will have a go as well - yes he is on my team!

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
another day along the coast probably with some more strong tail cross winds so should be good for another breakaway but with this being a non cav finish the other teams will chase. Strong man finish gonna go with oscar.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I will have to agree on breakaway for this stage. Columbia probably won't chase because the profile doesn't really suit a sprint.
However...If the peloton is in contention, I'm going with Fabian or Kirchen for the win.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
It would actually not surprise me if Armstrong will try and have a go at it on the steeper section, to get that one second to put him in yellow. Escapees have a fair chance tomorrow, since Columbia will not want to do all the work, Saxo doesn't seem too interested in the stage, and the SKL/BB/AG2R/FDJ's will try and set up a good group... Others to look for could include Wegmann, Johannes Frohlinger, Pozzato, Montfort, and possibly Haussler...

Expect some 'spanish' riders, perhaps even LL Sanchez or even more likely Uran and an Euskatel Boy...

It would be foolish for Armstrong or any of the top contenders who are no more than :30 to 1:30 seconds back to 'try and have a go at it on the steeper section' tomorrow. The climbs, while some might have reasonably steep grades are very short climbs. The highest of which is only 345 meters and the last being more than twenty kms from the finish.

It would be a completely wasted effort and one that would cost them dearly going into Friday's true mountain stage.

I can definitely see some attacks go tomorrow, but not from the favorites....or Armstrong.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The 500m of 6.6% make it difficult for the sprinter's trains. If not a breakaway, I'd think some action on the penultimate km. Maybe Canc will go? He's the type to pedal away from the bunch to win in yellow :)

Otherwise, I'd go with one of the bigger sprinters such as Hushovd, or maybe a break takes it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bainreese said:
It would be foolish for Armstrong or any of the top contenders who are no more than :30 to 1:30 seconds back to 'try and have a go at it on the steeper section' tomorrow. The climbs, while some might have reasonably steep grades are very short climbs. The highest of which is only 345 meters and the last being more than twenty kms from the finish.

It would be a completely wasted effort and one that would cost them dearly going into Friday's true mountain stage.

I can definitely see some attacks go tomorrow, but not from the favorites....or Armstrong.

I did not mean to say that Armstrong would be in an escape. I meant that he could have a go at it in the last 1-2K, to 'outsprint' Cancelara, or try and put the hammer down on the last uphill section to create a 1s gap between him and Spartacus. I've seen him sprint up the Cauberg, so he is capable of doing it...

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
you are correct, Bala Verde

Listening to Lance it seems he knows he's a longshot. The idea that he'll take his last chance for yellow tomorrow is pretty realistic. Then Friday he'll give it his best and show what he's been saying the last few days--that it isn't as easy as he thought and its time to let the kids take over. He seems to be mentoring Contador as much as competing with him. He might hang on Friday, but more likely AC and A Schleck will ride away with Kreuziger, Sastre and maybe Cadel in tow.
Over the last couple days he seems to be trying to make his (clumsy) peace with the race and the peloton, as well as with his age and mortality--or making himself excuses, if that's the way you want to read it. He still has all the arrogance that he ever had, and he'll use his experience and what juice he has left to hang in, because he has to.

A

Anonymous

RigelKent said:
Listening to Lance it seems he knows he's a longshot. The idea that he'll take his last chance for yellow tomorrow is pretty realistic. Then Friday he'll give it his best and show what he's been saying the last few days--that it isn't as easy as he thought and its time to let the kids take over. He seems to be mentoring Contador as much as competing with him. He might hang on Friday, but more likely AC and A Schleck will ride away with Kreuziger, Sastre and maybe Cadel in tow.
Over the last couple days he seems to be trying to make his (clumsy) peace with the race and the peloton, as well as with his age and mortality--or making himself excuses, if that's the way you want to read it. He still has all the arrogance that he ever had, and he'll use his experience and what juice he has left to hang in, because he has to.

Maybe so, but I think Spartacus is strong enough to hold that wheel given that it is 6.6% I believe.

RigelKent said:

I've been slowly come to that same conclusion. If AC wins it, he'll likely try to claim a part in his overall victory.** That being said, AC should welcome ANY experience-related tips he can get for LA. It will only make him a better GC candidate now and in the future.

**Maybe I shouldn't attribute such ego-manical behaviour to LA so quickly. He very well could be the difference maker for Contador this year.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I'll buy that

Thoughtforfood said:
Maybe so, but I think Spartacus is strong enough to hold that wheel given that it is 6.6% I believe.

If it's just about the power to hang in, I agree with you. If there is such a thing as digging deeper one last time, I'll bet on Armstrong.

That, and Riis may decide that letting Astana protect the wrong guy on Friday isn't a bad strategy.

A

Anonymous

RigelKent said:
If it's just about the power to hang in, I agree with you. If there is such a thing as digging deeper one last time, I'll bet on Armstrong.

That, and Riis may decide that letting Astana protect the wrong guy on Friday isn't a bad strategy.

Maybe, but I would suggest having watched Canc over the past few years that his desire to win is as great as Armstrong's.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
No doubt

Thoughtforfood said:
Maybe, but I would suggest having watched Canc over the past few years that his desire to win is as great as Armstrong's.

I agree completely. Just the way he bunny hopped across that median to latch on to the lead group on Monday shows he's in it for the yellow. The only difference being one LAST time. Canc has years left in him and may pity an old man. Didn't LA do that once on the Ventoux?

If I had to bet on that head to head race I'd need long odds to go against Spartacus. But other factors may be at work.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
RigelKent said:

If Lance has come to terms with his ability and truly understands what he's capable of and more importantly, what he probably isn't capable of, then it is very much a possibility. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if Armstrong does give it a go tomorrow it's probably as good a sign as we'll get that mentally he has accepted his role as a domestique for AC and that any turmoil within the team has either been largely a creation of the media or has calmed down given Lance's change of heart.

The problem I have with accepting that premise is that even as recently as 2 days ago Armstrong was still throwing out statements that gave everyone the impression that he was clearly in this race to go for the top podium spot. His comments to Contador about making it a race only between them if they burned the TTT make you think he still wants the top spot. If that is the case, then he will not go tomorrow....even a sprint at the end.

This is also the guy that is known for his arrogance and his ability to fight. Even given his age, I still think he wants to win and will not hurt any chances he has for that opportunity.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Of course, another site (that works on US time) is reporting Spartacus saying he's not giving up anything tomorrow. So I'll eat my words. Mmmmmm. Delicious!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I just read that Nicky Terpstra counts on Ciolek tomorrow "as the stage is cut out for him", and he said that "he/(Milram) will ride for him tomorrow". Don't know what it is worth, but if Milram - Ciolek, Katusha - Pozzato and Rabobank - Freire will want to go mano a mano, there could be 3 teams present that can combine forces to haul in any escapees.

Saxo and Columbia might want to take it easy tomorrow, so if there are no team interested in controlling the peloton, any escapees will have free reign.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

I agree; it could be Monfort.

A

Anonymous

TourLeTour said:
My money is on Spartacus keeping the yellow. I need to sleep, I am riding this stage right behind them...

No kidding man, you are a complete stud. May your journey be blessed.

TRENDING THREADS