• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's messages like these that make me lose all sympathy I have for Valverde again:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-i-never-tested-positive/

**** off Piti

He said "I never tested positive but they decided to sanction me and there you go. I served the ban and since my return the only thing I have done is enjoyed cycling."

I don't see any offense in that. It's the truth. He doesn't even say - here - that he didn't do anything wrong.

But of course Cyclingnews must make such a ridiculous headline.

I see an implication that only a positive test is a sanctionable offense.

roundabout said:
tobydawq said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's messages like these that make me lose all sympathy I have for Valverde again:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-i-never-tested-positive/

**** off Piti

He said "I never tested positive but they decided to sanction me and there you go. I served the ban and since my return the only thing I have done is enjoyed cycling."

I don't see any offense in that. It's the truth. He doesn't even say - here - that he didn't do anything wrong.

But of course Cyclingnews must make such a ridiculous headline.

I see an implication that only a positive test is a sanctionable offense.

Yeah, you may be right.

I don't think it was the wisest comment either.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Koronin said:
Except he's technically correct. He hasn't failed an anti doping test. (LA did and it was covered it). Valverde's issue was having one of his blood bags as part of the group that was taken during the Operation Puerto raid.

We don't know if Vavlerde failed and a test and it was covered up.

I do think cycling was the victim in operation puerto.

6. Presence of EPO :D
169. At the beginning of the proceedings launched against the Athlete for use of a prohibited
method, UPA-CONI learned that Bag no. 18, which was identified as belonging to the
Athlete, also tested positive for EPO in 2006. Based on this, UPA-CONI then charged the
Athlete with use of a prohibited substance, which the TNA confirmed in its Decision.

https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/defa...iles/cas_2009_a_1879_valverde_v_coni_en_0.pdf

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Valverde's blood was tested, it was tested for EPO and it was again tested for his DNA to match CONI's test of Valverde's DNA.

That is at least 3 tests. So yes he was tested and tested positive.

Yes,
and we should remember points 177&178 of CAS 2009/A/1879:
177. Lastly, the Panel cannot ignore the statements made by Mr. Manzano (...);
178. In particular, Mr. Manzano stated that each cyclist on the Kelme team (including Mr. Valverde) received a doping treatment program based on his or her own competition schedule, which included the use of doping substances such as EPO and testosterone.
Injections were given directly by Dr. Fuentes during competitions (in hotel rooms where the athletes were staying), or the athletes (such as Mr. Valverde) received pre-filled syringes with which to perform the injections at home during trainings.
According to Mr. Manzano Mr. Valverde received injections of doping substances (such as EPO) on several occasions (for example, when the cyclists were training in Alicante. In addition, on the occasion of Tour od Spain 2003, the cyclists (i.e. Mr. Valverde) also received testosterone patches that they required to wear for a particular period of time (2 hours) in order to avoid a positive test during anti-doping controls.

Not surprising but very annoying as no doubt very expensive footballers (soccer) were implicated. Wealthy and powerful sports will continue to think they can manipulate as they please. It will also encourage more such behaviour in the future. Cycling was the fall guy.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Not surprising but very annoying as no doubt very expensive footballers (soccer) were implicated. Wealthy and powerful sports will continue to think they can manipulate as they please. It will also encourage more such behaviour in the future. Cycling was the fall guy.

I agree with you.

However, why isn't there a separate thread for Operation Puerto? It's bigger than Valverde or cycling.

It's easy:
puerto.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31001

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
He's still 5th on the 2019 CQ ranking. Might finally be his body that starts to decline.

A natural decline doesn't happen that fast. There's more to it than just that. If you listen to his comments it's more mental. He won the race he always wanted since he was a young child. After that he's said several times, I just want to enjoy whatever time I have left. He's not trying as hard. It's also very likely the rest of the peloton is getting close to the doping levels of the early 2000's when he started and at 39 he's not willing to go there again.

Koronin said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
He's still 5th on the 2019 CQ ranking. Might finally be his body that starts to decline.

A natural decline doesn't happen that fast. There's more to it than just that. If you listen to his comments it's more mental. He won the race he always wanted since he was a young child. After that he's said several times, I just want to enjoy whatever time I have left. He's not trying as hard. It's also very likely the rest of the peloton is getting close to the doping levels of the early 2000's when he started and at 39 he's not willing to go there again.
Why is this very likely?

King Boonen said:
Koronin said:
Gung Ho Gun said:

Why is this very likely?

The way they are racing and numbers and climbing times are in that range and it has that feel to it.

Koronin said:
King Boonen said:
Koronin said:
Gung Ho Gun said:

Why is this very likely?

The way they are racing and numbers and climbing times are in that range and it has that feel to it.

What climbing times are you referring to?

I don't pay close attention to all the climbs but the Alpe is always a good yardstick because it is usually raced hard. In last year's Tour Sky only managed a relatively pedestrian (compared to early 2000s) 41 minutes on the Alpe despite pulling from the bottom to nullify attacks.

Sorry but I really have a hard time believing that doping today is close to pre passport era.