• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Don't think so. Only if Cav is dropped.
Can't see them riding Cavendish to the gold medal.

So you think that they'd throw away a near-guaranteed podium for the mere chance of gold?

Chapeaux to the courageous team manager who decided that ... I hope he's made provision for his retirement.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
They are going to have to Really go Hard on the Box hill climb to Blow all the Sprinters out the Bunch with enough Advantage to Hang on for the Finish.Assuming enough riders or teams Fancy that Approach Cannt see anyone dropping Wiggo or Froome on present Form.. Will Cav or Sagan hang on that is the Question. Millar is gonna be the Dogsbody I guess .

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
the asian said:
The Germans and Aussies have other options.

Of course they do. Most teams have options other than a mass field sprint. The problem is getting a man into the proper break. If the Germans and/or Aussies don't have someone up the road, you can bet your @$$ they'll work with the Brits. Even if they don't think they can beat Cav', they'll take the shot of a silver or bronze over nothing at all.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
But this isn't really a classic, they do a few times up a hill which in all likelihood will serve as a launching pad for futile attacks that will be brought back by the sprinters' teams.

Isn't this just like Milano-San Remo then, where 'futile' attacks on a launching pad called the Poggio are brought back by sprinters' teams? By your definition MSR is no classic either :rolleyes:

Viking said:
Of course they do. Most teams have options other than a mass field sprint. The problem is getting a man into the proper break. If the Germans and/or Aussies don't have someone up the road, you can bet your @$$ they'll work with the Brits. Even if they don't think they can beat Cav', they'll take the shot of a silver or bronze over nothing at all.

Yeah, the big difference between the Olympics and any other one-day-race is, that taking 2nd or 3rd is not worthless. Being 3rd in P-R is a nice accomplishment for most riders, but not much different frm 4th or 7th, and not something that really stands out on any palmares. An Olympic bronze medal does.

Pentacycle said:
Isn't this just like Milano-San Remo then, where 'futile' attacks on a launching pad called the Poggio are brought back by sprinters' teams? By your definition MSR is no classic either :rolleyes:

MSR is longer than this race and the Poggio is much, much closer to the finish than the last ascent of Box Hill. Those two factors make all the difference.

The sad truth is that Wiggins and Froome are so strong right now that Cavendish could potentially be two minutes behind after the last ascent of Box Hill, and GB could still bring him back with a TTT.

Cavendish always seems to be in ridiculously good form at the end of the Tour. I doubt he's going to be in much trouble on the climbs and, right now, I'd give a shot at winning on a much more difficult course than this one. His chances are mainly dependent on how well Wiggins and Froome have maintained their form. If those two are "over the top" then a small group will get away in the final 10km, otherwise it will be an easy home win

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't see Cav as a factor in this race. He is not a strong rider for this. The roads will be very narrow in some spots so there will be crashes. Sagan does not have the experience yet for this sort of parcours. I'm going to predict 5 riders not necessarily in this order: Gilbert. Cancellara. Boonen. Fuglsang. Paolini.

Andre

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
Cavendish always seems to be in ridiculously good form at the end of the Tour. I doubt he's going to be in much trouble on the climbs and, right now, I'd give a shot at winning on a much more difficult course than this one. His chances are mainly dependent on how well Wiggins and Froome have maintained their form. If those two are "over the top" then a small group will get away in the final 10km, otherwise it will be an easy home win

Cav has never won a decent race right after the Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Morbius said:
How many decent races has he failed to win right after the tour?

All of them.

Surely you're not suggesting he won the WC in 2011 based on his Tour form?

I don't see a lot of great post Tour performances by Cav in his career. Only thing I can remember are his 3 stage wins at the Vuelta in 2010, but he got beaten by Hutarovich there lol.