• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paolini positive for cocaine

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Thus, Paolini either used it during the Tour itself (positive right after the cobbles, a key stage), or he got it from a blood bag. The reasoning is sound.

Or, his drink was spiked at some point since the pre-tour testing.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
http://36.media.tumblr.com/815d11d7eef7950db3b1fea4a4ca530c/tumblr_nrh9crWmqx1qzrroto1_1280.png
Nice. But to be honest, he never struck me as a leave the helmet on sort of guy.

tumblr_nrh9crWmqx1qzrroto1_1280.png

the delgados said:
hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:
Dont think cocaïne boosts performances.
It does. Stimulants are popular PEDs.

Really? If you're referring to a little post-stage pick-me-up, I might understand what you're saying. But even then a rider would wake up half-depressed and missing sleep. I don't see how coke could be a ped, unless they're doing lines mid-race.

Well, it'd make for an interesting feed zone. :D

If the yellow jersey stops to snort a couple lines, does the whole peloton stop?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

patrick767 said:
the delgados said:
hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:

Really? If you're referring to a little post-stage pick-me-up, I might understand what you're saying. But even then a rider would wake up half-depressed and missing sleep. I don't see how coke could be a ped, unless they're doing lines mid-race.

Well, it'd make for an interesting feed zone. :D

If the yellow jersey stops to snort a couple lines, does the whole peloton stop?
Why would someone stop, you can snort a few lines on the back of your smallest domestique while he's riding on the drops, LRP would be perfect for that. :D

Re:

Rollthedice said:
The test was taken after stage 4, the cobbles. Is it possible that accidentaly cocaine was spilled on the pave by careless dealers from the region and when the peloton passed, dust was raised containing traces of white powder just to be inhaled by an innocent Paolini?

This looks like it is becoming true...

Kudos, Rollthedice

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:

coke is one of the staple ingredients, or THE staple, in the best lowlands swannies recipes of pot belge, surely you know this Delgados

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Luca still in limbo
according to the Gazzetta - the case has arrived at Lucerne UCI
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/16-12-2015/paolini-caso-passa-tribunale-antidoping-uci-1301315404772.shtml

Easier to read the UCI statement

UCI Statement on Luca Paolini
16 December 2015
The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that it has referred Mr. Luca Paolini’s case to the UCI Anti-Doping Tribunal.

The Tribunal shall hear Mr. Paolini’s case and render a judgment in accordance with the Tribunal Procedural Rules (which are available on the UCI website). The decision will be published in due course on the UCI website.

At this stage of the procedure, the UCI will not make any further comment on the case.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

veganrob said:
It is sad for Paolini but it begs more questions. Why was his cocaine and sleeping pill use never picked up before in drug tests if he has been doing them for years. Also, it is not much of a leap to think that he was using PED's.

It does not prompt any questions. This is just the regular response by someone involved in a doping infraction and sanctioned.
HelmutRoole said:
You have to stratify the media. You can’t expect a top strata news organization like the New York Times – and it is print journalists who mostly do this work – to give a rat’s ass about someone like, for example, a Tom Danielson. Armstrong: clearly a different beast in terms of coverage since he has celebrity outside of cycling.

(Sidebar: In defense of the media reference Armstrong, you have to balance that coverage in perspective with 9-11, Afghanistan and the Iraq rematch, all going down during this timeframe. Comparatively, an Armstrong doping piece is uninteresting, unimportant and not even on an editor’s radar. Although, there was SI. They probably should’ve looked at it a little closer. )

For something like the Danielson story, that work has to be done by Velonews, Cyclingnews, Pez... In other words, a news organization on the lower rungs of the media strata that cover that specific sport, this case cycling. Problem with this is, those reporters are cozy with the athletes. This is true with sports reporting in general. It’s like that everywhere, every sport. The only way around it is to have a dedicated doping reporter on staff who doesn’t interact with the athletes in any other way. I’ll bet that any reporter covering cycling in North American has at some point sat down for a beer with an athlete whom they were reporting on or had reported on. I’ve done it myself. It probably happens everywhere.

Look, I’m a fan of professional cycling not despite the doping but in large part because of it. The doping makes it real. Not the performances. The performances are unreal. But when an athlete gets caught up in an investigation or pisses hot, that’s when things get real. That’s when all parties involved go into crisis mode, spinning truthiness, marginal gains, special diets and high cadence. People’s livelihoods and reputations hang in the balance. Millions of dollars at stake. And it’s all based on a lie.

High drama. You can’t make this stuff up.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Many benzodiazepines aren't on WADA's list of banned substances and Paolini had a prescription, if you inform the testing body that you are using them it's not illegal. Paolini said that he wasn't doing anything illegal, so it probably was a benzodiazepine that isn't on WADA's list.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Many benzodiazepines aren't on WADA's list of banned substances and Paolini had a prescription, if you inform the testing body that you are using them it's not illegal. Paolini said that he wasn't doing anything illegal, so it probably was a benzodiazepine that isn't on WADA's list.

exactly. kristoff said in his interview that in the pack its normal to have sleeping pill. because rest is crucial in a 3 week GT.
but in the long run benzodiazepines worsen the sleep patterns and significantly reduce deep sleep. but deep sleep is crucial for recovery - most growth-hormone releases in deep sleep at night. so if paoloni was 10ys! on it, where he got his growth hormone from? :rolleyes:
plus lets not forget that many pros suffer from sleep issues. this is due to the intense training but its also a common side-effect of steroids (certain testosterone-esters)
poor luca. benzodiazepine-withdrawl is almost as terrible as heroin-withdrawl. hope he did it.

fmk_RoI said:
veganrob said:
Why was his cocaine and sleeping pill use never picked up before in drug tests if he has been doing them for years.

Which part of sleeping pills pops a positive?
Well Mayomaniac was nice enough to answer my question. Hope you also got that. If you stick around long enough you might learn something.
What about the cocaine? Maybe you didn't have an answer for that but I'll try to help you. He got busted for it correct. Do you think it was his first and only time he ever did it. After all, that seems to be many riders excuse. Only time I ever did it, I'm so sorry.
thanks again.

r

TRENDING THREADS