• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Peter Janssen

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 19, 2009
140
0
0
Visit site
I find this quote interesting:

"The riders know who's doing it. They tell me that cycling has never been as clean as now, but according to them there are still about 20 riders in the bunch that are especially 'prepared'."

I interpret the last two words as blood-doping or EPO et. al. Not just cocaine or appetite suppressants. This is less than I expected, and considering his background, I believe him. Sure, the number isn't accurate, but good news nonetheless.
 
jonjungel said:
I find this quote interesting:

"The riders know who's doing it. They tell me that cycling has never been as clean as now, but according to them there are still about 20 riders in the bunch that are especially 'prepared'."

I interpret the last two words as blood-doping or EPO et. al. Not just cocaine or appetite suppressants. This is less than I expected, and considering his background, I believe him. Sure, the number isn't accurate, but good news nonetheless.

If it is so few then omerta would not exist.

The CN article gives the wrong year for the imposition of the 50% rule.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
From a ten mile TT I did last week:

Heart rate
Avg HR: 172 bpm
Max HR: 179 bpm

Cadence
Avg Bike Cadence: 104 rpm
Max Bike Cadence: 124 rpm

To be fair you were wearing your special skin suit that you borrowed from your good friend BPC

200g05.jpg
 
Jul 13, 2009
425
0
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If it is so few then omerta would not exist.

That depends on how it's distributed among the teams. If many teams have 1 or 2 riders preparing more extensively, the whole team might depend on that rider's performance. This way, keeping doping secret could be in the interest of some clean riders.

Also, clean riders might be reluctant to talk about doping methods that cannot be detected. If they exist (and they probably do) there is no way to back up what you're saying; the dopers will not get caught. Breaking the omerta could be interpreted by the public as sour grapes or slander.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
jonjungel said:
I find this quote interesting:

"The riders know who's doing it. They tell me that cycling has never been as clean as now, but according to them there are still about 20 riders in the bunch that are especially 'prepared'."

I interpret the last two words as blood-doping or EPO et. al. Not just cocaine or appetite suppressants. This is less than I expected, and considering his background, I believe him. Sure, the number isn't accurate, but good news nonetheless.
i have serious reservations regarding both the janssen statement above and the quality of the cn article about the book.

if only about 20 still dope it would be an incidence of (800+ biopassport pool):

20/800=2.5% dirty and 97.5 clean. bs and the uci blood passport administrators know it because the incidence estimate is an inherent part of the blood passport model.

re the cn article, don't know if the mistake is in the book, but the hematocrit limit was introduced by the uci in 1997 not 1995.
 
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
Visit site
I would love to know who the older amateur with the crit of 60% was....

When it comes to the minority of "especially prepared" riders I think thyere are 2 camps:

Firstly the popular star names who all riders need to see staying clean because the sport benefits commercially from their presence. eg. LA in the peloton guarantees so much more media interest, and at the end of the day it all comes down to the number of pairs of eyes that see logos on jerseys...

I'm not saying Wiggins is a doper, but if he was to test positive then Team Sky and the entire British cycling team become a farce, so any rider involved in that scene is going to suffer in that eventuality.

I am sure also that riders from cliques around language and culture. Valverde or Contador getting busted (or in AV's case "even more busted") would be damaging to all Spanish riders, who would be dismissed by lazy media and fans as "all doing it". Many riders might think - "I know they're charging, but they bring in the fans, and if they get caught the "base" of sponsorship and consumers they depend upon for a living gets reduced.

Hell, Armstrong getting conclusively busted could in theory end the institution of professional cycling. Who would dare speak out a la Bassons today?

The riders who do seem to be scorned by their peers are the oddballs who are perhaps seen to only bring financial rewards on themselves rather than the sport as a whole. Guys whose personalities, looks, style etc doesn't market well to the fans, or guys who are taking real risks as far as getting caught is concerned. Maybe guys who persist with detectable (and more effective?) methods to cash in while others have had to adapt to new procedures....or guys who haven't earned the respect of their peers and the protection of the system due to their commercial value?
 
Jonathan said:
That depends on how it's distributed among the teams. If many teams have 1 or 2 riders preparing more extensively, the whole team might depend on that rider's performance. This way, keeping doping secret could be in the interest of some clean riders.

Also, clean riders might be reluctant to talk about doping methods that cannot be detected. If they exist (and they probably do) there is no way to back up what you're saying; the dopers will not get caught. Breaking the omerta could be interpreted by the public as sour grapes or slander.
Agreed with you. But it could also be that most of them are taking some kind of dope anyway. Either option is acceptable.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Visit site
Have a hard time believing it's only "20 riders" when over the past few months it's been domestiques like Frei and Fuyu and Bosisio and Pfannberger et al. who've been caught doping along with the DiLuca's and Ricco's etc. Seems to me, actually, that it's as often the "lower-tier", for lack of a better term, riders that have been caught as it is the big names, which, to me, suggests that doping still permeates the peloton top to bottom.
 
Jul 13, 2009
425
0
0
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Have a hard time believing it's only "20 riders" when over the past few months it's been domestiques like Frei and Fuyu and Bosisio and Pfannberger et al. who've been caught doping along with the DiLuca's and Ricco's etc. Seems to me, actually, that it's as often the "lower-tier", for lack of a better term, riders that have been caught as it is the big names, which, to me, suggests that doping still permeates the peloton top to bottom.

That's a good point. Only when a large operation - of the Fuentes kind - is busted, do we get to see what kind of preparation the leaders get.

But it does beg the question what Janssen was referring to. It seems unlikely he would want to erect a smokescreen over the current doping use in the peloton, especially if his aim is just to give and indication about how common it is.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
Jonathan said:
That's a good point. Only when a large operation - of the Fuentes kind - is busted, do we get to see what kind of preparation the leaders get.

But it does beg the question what Janssen was referring to. It seems unlikely he would want to erect a smokescreen over the current doping use in the peloton, especially if his aim is just to give and indication about how common it is.
Industry cant-speak. Big programs are differentiated from the euphemistic "recovery therapy". 98% will do recovery therapy towards their objectives, be it July, or be it Spring. Only a minor proportion, get blood and other therapies towards significantly boosting their level.
 
May 18, 2009
3,757
0
0
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
I would love to know who the older amateur with the crit of 60% was....

Yeah, he is on EPO and Deca-Durabolin.

I still just can't understand why people continue to take roids when CN forum denizens have declared they do little good. :rolleyes:
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Yeah, he is on EPO and Deca-Durabolin.

I still just can't understand why people continue to take roids when CN forum denizens have declared they do little good. :rolleyes:

Roids do lots of good, especially if you are older. Will help as much as EPO? Nope but they will allow you to race all year long and recover....even more so if you are an old dude.
 
Apr 19, 2010
428
0
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Roids do lots of good, especially if you are older. Will help as much as EPO? Nope but they will allow you to race all year long and recover....even more so if you are an old dude.

Can mess up your natural testosterone level though, as Joe Papp can testify. People should be aware of that.