• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Lequack said:
Has anyone informed Sagan that the Spring classics have started?

He will not even do Strade :(

Patxi Vila says that Strade is the hardest race of them all and the one that takes the biggest toll - especially if it's rainy like last year. And given that they want Sagan to stay in condition until Liège this year, they have decided that his first race will be Tirreno-Adriatico.

Strade is a big hole in his palmarès and it still pisses me off that Moreno Moser was allowed to take it in 2013 when Sagan could have won it with two fingers in his nose.
Allowed, that's an interesting way to put it.

SafeBet said:
tobydawq said:
Lequack said:

Patxi Vila says that Strade is the hardest race of them all and the one that takes the biggest toll - especially if it's rainy like last year. And given that they want Sagan to stay in condition until Liège this year, they have decided that his first race will be Tirreno-Adriatico.

Strade is a big hole in his palmarès and it still pisses me off that Moreno Moser was allowed to take it in 2013 when Sagan could have won it with two fingers in his nose.

Yeah, okay, it was a comparable way to how Jungels won Liège last year - having the best rider behind, ruining all collaboration.

So maybe not the best word, but in some way, the tactics apparently did allow him to try his own instead of just setting up Sagan.

But at that time it was difficult to foresee that Sagan wouldn't easily win the race another year.

tobydawq said:
SafeBet said:
tobydawq said:
Lequack said:

Yeah, okay, it was a comparable way to how Jungels won Liège last year - having the best rider behind, ruining all collaboration.

So maybe not the best word, but in some way, the tactics apparently did allow him to try his own instead of just setting up Sagan.

But at that time it was difficult to foresee that Sagan wouldn't easily win the race another year.

He maybe had the 2nd best, you and I know well that the best is guy in your avatar ;)

Blanco said:
tobydawq said:
SafeBet said:
tobydawq said:
Lequack said:

He maybe had the 2nd best, you and I know well that the best is guy in your avatar ;)

Except the guy in both my and tobydawd's avatar wasn't the best guy last year at LBL. He even said after the race that he raced LBL on empty and needed some time off the bike. (Which he took about 3 weeks totally off the bike after LBL). He said he started cramping about 2/3rds through the race and was doing everything he could just to have a good finish. So Jungels likely did have the best guy running collaboration for him in that group.

Maybe he heard us, he just posted this:
PS: He's got rid of his beard and is now sporting a mustache.

LN8Y2Q1.png

Salvarani said:
Keram said:
Very subpar season so far. I am curious if he can turn things around.

If he has a bad classics season you can say he has been subpar so far, but saying it now is just laughable.

yup, but as of now, it seems Bora should concentrate on Bennet. Sagan just can't possibly have the shape. Even his positional skills seem to be broken at the moment. On the other hand, in MSR, anything can happen, even a Nibali win.

tomorrow said:
Salvarani said:
Keram said:

If he has a bad classics season you can say he has been subpar so far, but saying it now is just laughable.

yup, but as of now, it seems Bora should concentrate on Bennet. Sagan just can't possibly have the shape. Even his positional skills seem to be broken at the moment. On the other hand, in MSR, anything can happen, even a Nibali win.

From a race scenario perspective it just might be turning into his best opportunity as Sam Bennett is a plausible bunch finish winner and more durable on lumpy courses than most sprinters so Sagan can sit on any attacking move and play the waiting game and other teams won't be able to rely on him chasing down everything.

I hope very much he can win MSR as it is the most obvious winnable gap in his palmares and he has been in the frame almost every time he has ridden it but never conquered it.

hayneplane said:
tomorrow said:
Salvarani said:
Keram said:

From a race scenario perspective it just might be turning into his best opportunity as Sam Bennett is a plausible bunch finish winner and more durable on lumpy courses than most sprinters so Sagan can sit on any attacking move and play the waiting game and other teams won't be able to rely on him chasing down everything.

I hope very much he can win MSR as it is the most obvious winnable gap in his palmares and he has been in the frame almost every time he has ridden it but never conquered it.

I think this is a good assessment. MSR is a long race and nobody will have a good lead-out coming into the sprint if it is sprint. Sagan in form will be there. He seems to also just been coasting through this TA and just gone for the sprints. Which he didnt do that bad in tbh. Better than Gaviria did. So maybe he is just more focused on his targets and going in a little under-cooked for this classics season.

hayneplane said:
tomorrow said:
Salvarani said:
Keram said:

Bennet there is obviously huge option for Bora's DSs. However, the presence of Sagan is more benefitial to Bennet's winning than vice versa. With Bennet there, as you said, Sagan will try to go with some suicide attack, or even to his own one. However, if he joins somebody, that somebody will stop working and give a damn about sagan's other very plausible option in the bunch. So sagan either will cooperate or they will be caught. So imho, with Bennet's presence, Sagan will still have to bet it all on one card, the question is which will it be. I hope it's the attacking one, because attacking Sagan makes the racing exciting, although it might not be the best type of Sagan regarding his palmares.

Screecher said:
tobydawq said:
He says he broke his finger in Tirreno last year. Was that from leaping over Gaviria?
Gaviria broke his finger, not Sagan.

Lol, pretty embarrassing from Cyclingnews. Because in a recent article they quote Sagan as saying this:

"Things will be totally different on Saturday at Milan-San Remo," he said. "We've done some long hard races, but I think that'll be good for the Classics. They start on Saturday with Milan-San Remo and we'll see what happens. Last season I broke a finger here in Tirreno-Adriatico so I'm happier this year. I'm not worried. I've got some days to rest up and recover. I know I'm ready."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-and-sam-bennett-to-lead-bora-hansgrohe-at-milan-san-remo/

But actually, this was Gaviria who said that in this article from Monday which is about Sagan in the first part but ends with a couple of quotes from Gaviria:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-things-will-be-totally-different-on-saturday-at-milan-san-remo/

:lol:

Re:

Leinster said:
The line from Bora was that he’s starting his season late, and sacrificing Strade Bianche, to be competitive in late April in the Ardennes. We’all have to wait and watch over the next few weeks to see if that’s true.
Not sure if the course change in LBL has increased his chances. With the traditionally conservative racing I'd see him winning, but this year the peloton will attack from afar. Don't see Sagan keeping up in that case.

Hope he feels good tomorrow. Due to his previous illness he's not considered the #1 favorite, but I don't see him dropping on the Poggio and he'll be surely there if an elite group is formed.

TRENDING THREADS