• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 187 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The fact that Sagan had the nerve to talk smack at Van Aert after what he did shows all you need to know about his character right now.

I think it's highly ironic, that when Sagan got booted from the Tour, everyone went apesh!t, and wanted him thrown out of cycling, because "courageous" Cavendish tried to push through an even smaller gap, and pushed Sagan in the process, who people said "didn't leave enough room for Cavendish and created a dangerous situation".

However when Sagan tries to push though a gap that is noticeably bigger, and pushes Van Aert in the process, he is suddenly "dirty" Sagan who should be thrown out of the race.

:rolleyes:

I think it's highly ironic, that when Sagan got booted from the Tour, everyone went apesh!t, and wanted him thrown out of cycling, because "courageous" Cavendish tried to push through an even smaller gap, and pushed Sagan in the process, who people said "didn't leave enough room for Cavendish and created a dangerous situation".

However when Sagan tries to push though a gap that is noticeably bigger, and pushes Van Aert in the process, he is suddenly "dirty" Sagan who should be thrown out of the race.

Everyone? I think you got that wrong. There was widespread consensus that Sagan should definitely not have been disqualified back then, maybe not even relegated.

Sagan‘s best chance of winning a stage is to attack, which is also what he has to do to have any hope of Green
Yup. If he wants green, he has to win stages. There aren't many avenues to that left, but he has to find them.

First off would be getting maximum points from the bonus sprint tomorrow, and then making sure there's a 40-50 rider bunch arriving in Sarran with no more than a 3 or 4-man break up the road. There's no way Bennett will finish with the bunch after a cat 3 and cat 2 in the final 40km, but Bora have to maximise the amount of points available from the bunch sprint at the end. Or get Sagan into the break himself.

Then win the sprint (with no Bennett present) in the Puy Mary stage on Friday.

Then drop Bennett out of the points on the Lyon stage.

There's a lot of potential points to make up on Bennett there, but it'll take a lot of work, where Bennett will be sitting in grupettos, and other Quickstep riders like Jungels and Alaphilippe will be trying to disrupt any Bora plans as best they can (launch small groups off ahead of Sagan, tie Sagan up in sprints, etc).

Reactions: jmdirt

Yeah becuase when you almost make someone crash you get in their face about it. Normal behavior

Reactions: Luthor
Are you surprised by elite athletes being high strung, in high-adrenaline situations?

And no, there is nothing "normal" about it, since it is an abnormal situation.

Im mostly on the other side of today’s discussion from you, but on this part I’m in complete agreement. i dont think many sprinters who had just been in a four way photo finish and had just been involved in some high speed shoving would react calmly and appropriately to being confronted and sworn at in that moment. Regardless of whether they deserved it.

Sam Bennett said:
Bennett was cautious when asked to pass judgement on the events involving between Peter Sagan (Bora-hansgrohe) and Wout Van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) in the finale of stage 11, saying he would have to see on TV first before making a definitive statement.

But he did point out that “A big part of sprinting is bumping shoulders and rubbing shoulders,” before adding, jokingly, "I really don’t know what happened but since when did sprinting get soft?”

lol

Reactions: Sandisfan
The fact that Sagan had the nerve to talk smack at Van Aert after what he did shows all you need to know about his character right now.
I think anything any rider says immediately after a hotly contested finish should be taken with a grain of salt. Sagan's perspective is likely that WVA was closing him at the barriers. To those that want to right off Sagan's speed IMO he has be getting faster.
Do I agree with the move? No. As noted by other riders in the mix a crash at that point could have hurt many guys. Sagan paid a heavy price for the move and should get on with the rest of the Tour.

. . .But it was certainly right decision . . .
Right decision for someone who has never mixed it up in a sprint before. Sagan did everything by the book. He had a lane, WVA moved into it, he used his shoulder and forehead to push WVA back into his lane, never took his hands off the bars, and regained his lane to compete for the sprint. It was aggressive, but he simply did what he needed to keep his lane and not get pushed in the barriers. Total BS relegation, but it’s the best option to prevent Sagan from getting his 8th green.

I don't recall anyone other than teeth-gnashing Manx sprinter lovers expecting Sagan to be thrown out. The reality is Cav dove for the barriers which is always a suicide in the making. Sagan knows what can happen and shouldn't have been willing to push WVA for the few points he'd gain. I'm saying this fully aware that the participants are head down, out of the saddle at 65km with pulse rates near an aneurism. WVA was equally at risk and blame but he didn't "initiate" the contact. This activity went on for the last Km of the race. Everyone is bumped and bumping but usually not into the barriers which don't allow anyone a bailout. I said in the earlier response that I didn't agree with the move; not because I thought Sagan had done something illegal. He did something that wasn't going to pay off and should know better, particularly with one of his fellow sprinters still getting his face re-built.
You want to see questionable bike movement watch Cav and Calebs rear wheel. It's traveling all over and it's purposeful. Also not illegal.

I think anything any rider says immediately after a hotly contested finish should be taken with a grain of salt. Sagan's perspective is likely that WVA was closing him at the barriers. To those that want to right off Sagan's speed IMO he has be getting faster.
Do I agree with the move? No. As noted by other riders in the mix a crash at that point could have hurt many guys. Sagan paid a heavy price for the move and should get on with the rest of the Tour.

+1 on everything you said.

I'm a huge Sagan fan. He screwed up, was punished appropriately. Now let's see if this gives him a little more motivation. The last few years he's seemed a bit disengaged. I suspect it's a question of just not doing that extra 10% to keep an edge over the young guns.

Going forward I'd love to see him skip GTs (although he's probably contractually obligated to do the Tour...) and just focus on one-day races.

He's great for the sport and I personally don't mind a bit of beefing between highly competitive athletes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why so serious, Peter?
Once I knew you personally, and I thought... omg, such a polite and shy person... please get back, good old Peter, as a person, who really does not care. Small boy from a small slovak town, do what you really want to do, and don't get annoyed by some stupid TdF finishes. You've won everything you've wanted, and showed everyone who's the boss, now relax.

and btw... i believe the judges hurried once again... View: https://twitter.com/jhonjaimeosorio/status/1303732799732678671

what a shame.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS