• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cycling Manager - anyone played it

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cobblestoned said:
Ah Ruben. :D I remember a db with that name, and know that your name is ruben, but never made the connection.

Any imformation if the manager-part will be improved ?
It really needs the next step, or just something new. It's so...usual.
One thing for sure: The programming of startingfields in career need an improvement. Thats for sure.
Perhaps it depends on the pcm.daily. I don't know.

But I am always dissapointed about that. You look forward to Giro or Tour, then you watch the startingfield on first stage, and they are just strange and weak.
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumPCM/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=8057&p=397365#p397365

especially the new sponsor part is fun, also the not riding through eachother. this will make positioning much more important and make the game more life-like

Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumPCM/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=8057&p=397365#p397365

especially the new sponsor part is fun, also the not riding through eachother. this will make positioning much more important and make the game more life-like

wow this new improvements sound awesome!!!!!

now they just have to improve the quality of their databases

can you imagine in a couple of years pcm having the same quility of graphics as lets say pro evolution soccer?

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Great, less money for an already small budget games company!

Yes, thats true.
But you also have to say about (sports)games, coming out every year, that most of the "new games" are just more like simple updates, while many of the features and updated DBs, could be done in a usual update.
If game-companys justify the prize by feelable and important improvements and updates, then I am willing to pay the prize.

I consider myself as one of the "good" guys, with my 50/50 ratio.

I was buying some sportsseries (PES, PCM...) every year, but a at certain point I thought "no, no more like this".
Now, following the cycle, I will pay money for PCM 2011 again. Thats the compromise I found for myself, and I think it's still fair. :cool:

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Yes, thats true.
But you also have to say about (sports)games, coming out every year, that most of the "new games" are just more like simple updates, while many of the features and updated DBs, could be done in a usual update.
If game-companys justify the prize by feelable and important improvements and updates, then I am willing to pay the prize.

I consider myself as one of the "good" guys, with my 50/50 ratio.

I was buying some sportsseries (PES, PCM...) every year, but a at certain point I thought "no, no more like this".
Now, following the cycle, I will pay money for PCM 2011 again. Thats the compromise I found for myself, and I think it's still fair. :cool:

Haha, I love hearing excuses for this sort of thing because that's all they ever are. Trying to justify your actions to yourself. :)

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
little story about managerseason 2011/2012 (playing with RS):

Observations:
- Cavendish worldchampion 2011 :D
- Cavendish to Omega Pharma and Greipel in 2012, dreamteam, lol
- Greipel his leadoutman, Cav winning impressive 15 races/stages until now (1st week of April ) :)

my part:
I hired Valverde, Sagan, Chavanel, Pozzato, EBH for 2012. After celebrating Valverde transfer, I realized that game crashs the day when contracts became active and when clicking on Valverde.
Had a look in db. He had -200 fitness and other values set I don't know much about. I just changed everything that looked strange
Happy man. Worked.

After having a strong and solid start into the season, then short before M-SR, of course EBH and Sagan crashed and broke some bones. Injury ends in May. Great. :rolleyes:

But anyway, didn't bother me that much. Since that happened very often, it was good to have some other big guns for the classics and sprints.
Won Flandres with Pozzato.
Now ruling Pais Vasco with piti.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
So in my PCM2009 career (using PCMdaily 2010 database) it took me til Vuelta 2012 to finally bring home a Grand Tour victory, with Fabio Duarte, who then followed up by winning the Worlds at home in Duitama :D

Then won the Giro with F.Masciarelli by 50 seconds ahead of Valverde and Basso, before finally landing the big one:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/pcm0048.png/

3 GT's in a row! Nice work.

I'm playing with Saxo (on hard, extreme killed me!) at the moment with your same year/DB combination.

1st season:
Cancellara: 1st Sanremo, 1st Ronde, 1st Roubaix, 1st Amstel (my favorite win ever, won after attacking with 50 km to go while working for Andy), World Championships TT
Andy: Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco (in the TT!! He had 5 star potential in TT!!), Fleche Wallone, Tour de France (by 15 seconds over Contador!), World Championships (2nd favorite win)

Transfers: Lost Frank, Gained Kirchen, Nibali, and Pinot
2nd season (next race is Roubaix):
Cancellara: 2nd Sanremo (Pozzato), 1st Ronde
Kirchen: 1st Paris-Nice, 1st Pais Vasco (by 5 seconds over Andy, who almost won it in the TT again!)

Goals:
Nibali: Top 3 in Giro
Andy: Win Tour
Pinot/Nibali: Top 3 in Vuelta

Pinot had 74 MO when I got him in January, now in April has 78 MO with 2 potential-stars still remaining!

(I'm playing with .5 stat evolution, but still, some guys come out of nowhere. Modolo's the 3rd best sprinter after just a year behind Cav and Farrar)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
So in my PCM2009 career (using PCMdaily 2010 database) it took me til Vuelta 2012 to finally bring home a Grand Tour victory, with Fabio Duarte, who then followed up by winning the Worlds at home in Duitama :D

Then won the Giro with F.Masciarelli by 50 seconds ahead of Valverde and Basso, before finally landing the big one:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/pcm0048.png/

lol at Menchov on Euskaltel... The computer's transfers in this game are hilarious

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
lol at Menchov on Euskaltel... The computer's transfers in this game are hilarious

I once saw Allan Davis go to Euskaltel!

And then Boonen, Gesink, Freire, and Greipel all went to Astana!!

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
jobiwan said:
3 GT's in a row! Nice work.

I'm playing with Saxo (on hard, extreme killed me!) at the moment with your same year/DB combination.

1st season:
Cancellara: 1st Sanremo, 1st Ronde, 1st Roubaix, 1st Amstel (my favorite win ever, won after attacking with 50 km to go while working for Andy), World Championships TT
Andy: Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco (in the TT!! He had 5 star potential in TT!!), Fleche Wallone, Tour de France (by 15 seconds over Contador!), World Championships (2nd favorite win)

Transfers: Lost Frank, Gained Kirchen, Nibali, and Pinot
2nd season (next race is Roubaix):
Cancellara: 2nd Sanremo (Pozzato), 1st Ronde
Kirchen: 1st Paris-Nice, 1st Pais Vasco (by 5 seconds over Andy, who almost won it in the TT again!)

Goals:
Nibali: Top 3 in Giro
Andy: Win Tour
Pinot/Nibali: Top 3 in Vuelta

Pinot had 74 MO when I got him in January, now in April has 78 MO with 2 potential-stars still remaining!

(I'm playing with .5 stat evolution, but still, some guys come out of nowhere. Modolo's the 3rd best sprinter after just a year behind Cav and Farrar)

My above results were on extreme :)

0.3 gives the most realistic stat evolution, but my career is on 0.4 at the minute, hence the likes of Duarte, Silin etc up top in the Tour.

Played the first few months of a career on 1.0 stat evolution a while ago, it was insane! You having Pinot reminded me of it as he devoloped ridiculously fast - was 5th in the Tour in his first season :D

Im new to PCM so if anyone has anytime I have some questions.

What is this effort cursor.

What does "the dot" mean.

What are the bars - green, red, yellow and I think also another green.

How do you move riders from back to front of peloton.

The number (always at 50 for start) I understand that more means they push harder, but what are the sort of numbers you should have when in the peloton, when in a break, when on a lone attack.

Cheers.

The Hitch said:

They mean the effort bar, where the number 50 is, the amount of effort your rider puts out when on "take relay" and "own effort". If you take relay at 90%, your rider will be dead very fast.

Ride at own effort. So called "the dot" because the icon for it used to look like a simple dot. Very important part of the game. Especially on hills, mountains and cobbles. If you ride at "stay at the front" or "relay" your rider might explode himself. With own effort you can control much more how hard he should ride and control the heartrate not to go in the red too fast.

Green - Endurance, usually won't go empty unless you're in a long breakaway
Red - attack bar, fils up pretty fast again, used for attacking obviously. Also, when you near a sprint and final sprint, a different red bar will appear, the 'sprint' bar. when this goes empty your sprinter will fall still.
Yellow - Resistance bar. When this one is empty you can't attack anymore even if your red bar fills. And if you're in a group uphill you'll usually drop if your yellow is gone.

Use own effort and a higher number (60-80 depending on where you are in the race, how further in the race, how more effort it requires) until you're near the front and then use "hold position". It's always wise to move near the front BEFORE a climb. Moving to the front uphill requires a lot of energy.

The number (always at 50 for start) I understand that more means they push harder, but what are the sort of numbers you should have when in the peloton, when in a break, when on a lone attack.

As long as your on 'hold position' it doesn't matter much. Even at 99 it won't make a difference (although at 99 he will try harder to hold position). But when on take relay, take infinite relay or own effort, it matters a lot.
You can see how much effort it costs by looking at the heart rate (little heart icon with numbers), when heart goes into yellow you're losing energy. When it's in orange/red you're losing a lot of energy. This is really play and learn, as it differs per stage, of the level of the field, etcetera....

Cheers.
sdfgsdfsdfsfdsdf

May 8, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Cheers.

Effort cursor is the number (50 at the start).
The dot means go at a particular effort.
When using hold position a rider will go to any effort required to stay at that point in the pack, only dropping back if they actually cannot remain up front/wherever you put them (e.g on a mountain).
Bars: Green - long term energy
Yellow - medium term
Red - Short term
If you e.g. send a rider on a long break and run down their yellow bar, they may still have a red bar but still won't be able to sprint properly.
Moving to the front of the peleton you need to either use the dot or the relay button but just change back to hold position once they get there.

As to what numbers to use, ~65 will real in a break slowly when relaying at the front. When I'm in a break at first I tend to go 45-50 otherwise the other riders just stay behind you and don't share the work. Ramp this up towards the end of the stage to stay away. Attacking you basically want to attack until your heart rate reaches say 190 and then "dot it" at about HR 175 (65-80 effort) to recover before attacking again

Dekker_Tifosi said:
sdfgsdfsdfsfdsdf

Bumeington said:
Effort cursor is the number (50 at the start).
The dot means go at a particular effort.
When using hold position a rider will go to any effort required to stay at that point in the pack, only dropping back if they actually cannot remain up front/wherever you put them (e.g on a mountain).
Bars: Green - long term energy
Yellow - medium term
Red - Short term
If you e.g. send a rider on a long break and run down their yellow bar, they may still have a red bar but still won't be able to sprint properly.
Moving to the front of the peleton you need to either use the dot or the relay button but just change back to hold position once they get there.

As to what numbers to use, ~65 will real in a break slowly when relaying at the front. When I'm in a break at first I tend to go 45-50 otherwise the other riders just stay behind you and don't share the work. Ramp this up towards the end of the stage to stay away. Attacking you basically want to attack until your heart rate reaches say 190 and then "dot it" at about HR 175 (65-80 effort) to recover before attacking again

Thanks guys.

What i meant by the effort cursor was the second button from the left on the very bottom tab in this picture.

5214orig.jpg

THats the dot right? I said effort cursor because on my game when i go over that point it says "effort cursor".

I never knew what it meant so i never used it (only been playing it a day but still). Might explain why ive never won:p

The Hitch said:
Thanks guys.

What i meant by the effort cursor was the second button from the left on the very bottom tab in this picture.

5214orig.jpg

THats the dot right? I said effort cursor because on my game when i go over that point it says "effort cursor".

I never knew what it meant so i never used it (only been playing it a day but still). Might explain why ive never won:p

ya thats "the dot"

also you need to go get some water for your guys. i never let it run out just in case. always have water before the climbs so you don't tire your domestiques by sending them to get water on a climb. one of the trickiest parts of the game imo is to get water on the ronde and P-R while the selection is being made. if you do it right you can get some water right before the selection starts and it will last till the selection ends. on a small group where it is easy to get water.

also you are using the original 2009 database :p

D_T link some supa dupa cool database please

p.s. the key "P" pauses the game in case you need to do it very fast.
also i like to use the high camera on top of the peloton.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
ya thats "the dot"

also you need to go get some water for your guys. i never let it run out just in case. always have water before the climbs so you don't tire your domestiques by sending them to get water on a climb. one of the trickiest parts of the game imo is to get water on the ronde and P-R while the selection is being made. if you do it right you can get some water right before the selection starts and it will last till the selection ends. on a small group where it is easy to get water.

also you are using the original 2009 database :p

D_T link some supa dupa cool database please

p.s. the key "P" pauses the game in case you need to do it very fast.
also i like to use the high camera on top of the peloton.

Not with Quick-Step :p
I use custom camera:) with Alt key

And Hitch playing PCM 09 with Astana is virtually the same as cheating in every single race that contains climbing :p