• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pros & Cons of a Vegan Diet for Weight Loss & Cycling Performance?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
elapid said:
Says the guy who uses a photo of Gary Taubes as a comment on his research. At the very least, you are good for a laugh.

DurianRider has a video called "62 year old Cyclist BUSTED For Steroids & EPO."

Guess what the thumbnail picture of the video is? Robert Förstemann's legs

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
durianrider said:
Invitation to any trolls out there. PROVE IT!

http://app.strava.com/challenges/prove-it-ride

Less complaining and more training. You gonna let vegan boy kick your *** in a mileage comp?

Please do each ride with a ANT+ power meter like I am. No strava doping allowed please.

Standard DR argument - no logic, just I can ride faster. You should be able to ride fast, you don't work therefore having plenty of time to put in the miles. Making poorly filmed and edited videos full of unproven crap doesnt count as work BTW. Go out and race Harley, stop telling us how you would compete with all these great riders and get out and prove it. Riding fast up some hills in Adelaide and posting Strava times is not racing, it's being a show-off tw@t.

I see you are still hanging off the pros in Adelaide trying to get a sniff of their chamois. You are a sad little flog.

At first glance your posts on various forums look helpful but you neednt look far to find a link to one of your stupid videos or a none to subtle brag about how good you are.

You also look like a lollipop...an enormous head on a body that looks like it wandered out of some post-apocalyptic dystopian movie. If that's what you are selling then I am happy to be "fat and weak".

Go fark yourself.

Jackie Treehorn said:
Standard DR argument - no logic, just I can ride faster. You should be able to ride fast, you don't work therefore having plenty of time to put in the miles. Making poorly filmed and edited videos full of unproven crap doesnt count as work BTW. Go out and race Harley, stop telling us how you would compete with all these great riders and get out and prove it. Riding fast up some hills in Adelaide and posting Strava times is not racing, it's being a show-off tw@t.

I see you are still hanging off the pros in Adelaide trying to get a sniff of their chamois. You are a sad little flog.

At first glance your posts on various forums look helpful but you neednt look far to find a link to one of your stupid videos or a none to subtle brag about how good you are.

You also look like a lollipop...an enormous head on a body that looks like it wandered out of some post-apocalyptic dystopian movie. If that's what you are selling then I am happy to be "fat and weak".

Go fark yourself.

Want to know what's funny?

You saying his argument has no logic, yet your response is this quoted text, filled with insults.

Jackie Treehorn said:

Go fark yourself.

Really, one of the worst posts I've read in here.
No argument.
No information.
No accuracy.
Just a pile of personal insults driven from a deep sense of hatred.
I'd hate to be so negative, life would be depressing.

Jackie Treehorn said:
Of course, that was my intention. Go fellate a banana.

You sound like another anonymous jealous hater. Have the courage to speak your opinion with out hiding behind a fake account. Everyone knows what I look like, what my name is, where I train daily. The difference between you and me is that I have the swingers to stand up and say what I believe in and do it publicly vs be another key board warrior typing from his mum's basement whilst eating another plate of microwaved hotpockets.

Do you even ride brah?

Didnt think so. Oh wait, you do win every race you enter and you regularly pass me up every climb right? You are that invisible rider everyone is talking about.

I eat jealous out of shape haters like you for breakfast on the bike mate.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
@Durianrider What's your daily macro and micro intake? How do you change it for races/long rides? What is your primary protein source? Have you ever tried high fat/low carb diet?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
You sound like another anonymous jealous hater. Have the courage to speak your opinion with out hiding behind a fake account. Everyone knows what I look like, what my name is, where I train daily. The difference between you and me is that I have the swingers to stand up and say what I believe in and do it publicly vs be another key board warrior typing from his mum's basement whilst eating another plate of microwaved hotpockets.

Do you even ride brah?

Didnt think so. Oh wait, you do win every race you enter and you regularly pass me up every climb right? You are that invisible rider everyone is talking about.

You sound like Armstrong in his heyday denying doping.

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
durianrider said:

Do you even ride brah?

Haha, thanks brah! If you did eat someone like me for breakfast you might look more like a human and less like a mantis.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Why do vegans like to exaggerate their athletic performance.There is a raw food event advertised locally, where the guest speaker claims to be the world record holder for the marathon!

simo1733 said:
Why do vegans like to exaggerate their athletic performance.There is a raw food event advertised locally, where the guest speaker claims to be the world record holder for the marathon!
I am not choosing sides in an argument about the benefits
of any diet, but when I saw this post I Googled "Wilson
Kipsang Kiprotich diet" and this was the first result:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...mpic-gold-kenyan-marathoners-fuel-up-on-carbs
I know nothing about the website or the author and made
no attempt to verify any of the information, but it does
not appear the real* marathon world record holder's diet
is either vegan or raw food. It does appear though,
according to this one article, to be largely, but
likely not exclusively, vegetarian.

*EDIT: There may be, I suppose, a masters age-group
marathon world record holder that does follow a vegan
or raw food diet.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
Pros:
# Easier to stay at peak watts per kg.
# Faster recovery due to increased carbohydrate intake. (glycogen is like EPO).
# Reduced chance of heart disease, cancer, stroke, impotence, diabetes.
# Greater connection with nature.
#Increased ease of breathing due to less dietary allergies like lactose intolerance.
#Sweat isnt so corrosive it starts to melt your bars under your bar tape.
#99% of carbohydrate base foods are vegan anyway.
#Stronger immune system means more time riding vs being sick.
I hear you. And I also heard former president Bill Clinton regarding his vegan diet (http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-08-2013/bill-clinton-vegan.html) Yeah, I'm old enough to consider AARP a helpful source.

It's a compelling argument, especially for us older guys who might be dealing with the customary aging issues: arterial plaque, blood pressure, arthritis, gout, etc., etc.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment.

A vegetarian diet is a poor choice for health. Vegetarians often consume lots of eggs which are so unhealthy, the US egg board was BANNED for calling them 'safe to eat'. The egg board couldnt even call them 'healthy' or even 'nutritious' lol! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfvdypnAgg

So yeah, no surprise why the standard egg rich vegetarian diet is INCREDIBLY unhealthy.

The mistake vegetarians make is now they are not eating red meat, they eat extra chicken, fish or eggs to 'compensate'. Eating other animal products in extra amounts to 'compensate' is like filling ones carbon bike tubing with lead in order to 'compensate for the lack of weight'.

Next week Im 13 years vegan. Im gonna go celebrate and see how far I can ride solo in 24 hours. My solo PR is 515km. In a bunch, 620km. Both of which I did whilst vegan. I wasnt a star athlete as a child or teen either. I was the sickly kid. The kid that got picked last on sports day. EVERYTIME lol! I think Im trying to make up for how unfit I was in school. ;)

ustabe said:
I hear you. And I also heard former president Bill Clinton regarding his vegan diet (http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-08-2013/bill-clinton-vegan.html) Yeah, I'm old enough to consider AARP a helpful source.

It's a compelling argument, especially for us older guys who might be dealing with the customary aging issues: arterial plaque, blood pressure, arthritis, gout, etc., etc.

I rode with Team Sky a couple hundred miles in Jan. They are playing with plant foods to increase performance. Endothelium cells produce the NO2. High carb low fat vegan diet best support endothelium cell health. I call it 'nutritional blood doping'.

Most of my vegetarian friends think they need to eat extra chicken, fish, eggs and/or dairy products because they are 'lacking in red meat nutrients'.

When people find out Im vegan they are often concerned and ask me 'so what do you do to replace xyz'. I then point out that Id put money on it I take the least supplements of anyone they have ever met for someone of my fitness level. Ive cycled over 270 000km as a vegan and with no protein shakes.

Ive got some old friends that are on steroids, live at the gym and freak out when they run out of whey brodeen. Even they think that steak, eggs and chicken for breakfast is not enough prodeen and they need more. Some mix egg prodeen in with their whey shakes. They don't know how I do it. I don't know how their kidneys do it!

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
I rode with Team Sky a couple hundred miles in Jan. They are playing with plant foods to increase performance. Endothelium cells produce the NO2. High carb low fat vegan diet best support endothelium cell health. I call it 'nutritional blood doping'.

Interesting. You've got me looking into endothelial function.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Not quite true. There are different levels of what is considered meat and/or non-meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

Not quite true. From the article:

"Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal; it may also include abstention from by-products of animal slaughter."

"Semi-vegetarian diets consist largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish or poultry, or sometimes other meats, on an infrequent basis. Those with diets containing fish or poultry may define meat only as mammalian flesh and may identify with vegetarianism. A pescetarian diet has been described as "fish but no other meat". The common use association between such diets and vegetarianism has led vegetarian groups such as the Vegetarian Society to state that diets containing these ingredients are not vegetarian, due to fish and birds being animals."

Semi-vegetarian and pescetarian are not vegetarian and this distinction is plainly made in this article.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:

Your usual opinion-based, non-scientific rubbish, DR.

The results of nitric oxide on athletic performance are inconsistent over decades of research. The best results are in untrained athletes, but these are still inconsistent, and there is no effect in trained athletes. From the most recent publication on nitric oxide and atheltic performance (Bescos et al: The Effect of nitric-oxide-related supplements on human performance. Sports Med, 2012): "Several studies using NO donors have assessed this hypothesis in a healthy, trained population. However, the conclusions from these studies showed several discrepancies. While some reported that dietary supplementation with NO donors induced benefits in exercise performance, others did not find any positive effect. In this regard, training status of the subjects seems to be an important factor linked to the ergogenic effect of NO supplementation. Studies involving untrained or moderately trained healthy subjects showed that NO donors could improve tolerance to aerobic and anaerobic exercise. However, when highly trained subjects were supplemented, no positive effect on performance was indicated."

There is only one paper I can find on endothelial health, nitric oxide production, and vegan diets, and this paper by McCarty reports an increased risk of strokes in vegans because vegan diets down-regulate IGF-1 which decreases nitric oxide synthase and thus endothelial health and increases the risk of strokes in vegans: "IGF-I acts on vascular endothelium to activate nitric oxide synthase, thereby promoting vascular health; there is reason to believe that this protection is especially crucial to the cerebral vasculature, helping to ward off thrombotic strokes. IGF-I may also promote the structural integrity of cerebral arteries, thereby offering protection from hemorrhagic stroke. These considerations may help to explain why tallness is associated with low stroke risk, whereas growth hormone deficiency increases stroke risk--and why age-adjusted stroke mortality has been exceptionally high in rural Asians eating quasi-vegan diets, but has been declining steadily in Asia as diets have become progressively higher in animal products. There is good reason to suspect that low-fat vegan diets tend to down-regulate systemic IGF-I activity; this effect would be expected to increase stroke risk in vegans."

Other papers report the beneficial effect of cocoa polyphenols, black and green tea, red wine, pomegranate, walnuts and superoxide dismutase on endothelial function and nitric oxide production. No paper that I can find mentions improved endothelial function and/or nitric oxide production with a vegan diet. Any diet that causes inflammation, which includes carbohydrate-based diets, will results in endothelial damage and potentially arteriosclerosis.