• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Protest against Cavendish

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
timmer88 said:
its pretty clear that a lot of people on this thread apparently think cavendish can do no wrong. anyone who has actually seen the footage of the crash will clearly see cavendish cut across the front of the pack and run directly into haussler. i dont think haussler deserves any blame, the only thing he did was to hold his line and not just let cavendish cut him off. slicing across the front of the group like that is a cheap trick to try to scare other riders into hesitating and losing their momentum, and this time it backfired on cavendish and unfortunately he took down a lot of riders with him. his reactions to criticism after the race also show his lack of respect toward the other riders and thier safety as well. i personally think he got off light considering all the damage he did

You have got a grasp of the video or still photos, but not the general consensus. Those that have been in that circumstance accept some of that behaviour to a standard, bare-knuckle sprint. That the consequences would mean wage-earining riders would be out for the season and the rider causing the activity would not offer up an apology is dead wrong. That he would further demean his fellow pros by another gesture means he has no respect for the profession. His payback will likely come at a time and in a way he does not expect. It will cost him if the peloton has any spine.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
You have got a grasp of the video or still photos, but not the general consensus. Those that have been in that circumstance accept some of that behaviour to a standard, bare-knuckle sprint. That the consequences would mean wage-earining riders would be out for the season and the rider causing the activity would not offer up an apology is dead wrong. That he would further demean his fellow pros by another gesture means he has no respect for the profession. His payback will likely come at a time and in a way he does not expect. It will cost him if the peloton has any spine.
i've been in a couple bunch sprints before and i know there is a certain amount of josteling for position, but there is a reason for the rule that you cannot deviate from a normal cycling line during a sprint and this crash is exactly why

There's a way to be tough and gutsy, but with finess and class, that permits a sprinter to win the battle of nerves without resorting to against the rules and brash, bullying, intimidation maneuvers like what we saw in Cav's sprint the other day.

The greatest sprinter over the last 20 years and one of the tops of all time in the sport, Mario Cipollini, was one of just such a classy toughness. Watching Mario "thread the needle" was like drinking a noble Brunello, by contrast watching clutsy Cav is like drinking an insipid table wine. Mario was a university of sprinting technique. By contrast, Cav is still at the kindergarten level in his childish behavior.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
its ok, he'll get his in the next few days or at the tour. its only a matter of time before he gets run off the road or cut off in a similar way. i wonder how he'll handle that after seeing how he acted like a baby when people blamed him

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
timmer88 said:
its ok, he'll get his in the next few days or at the tour. its only a matter of time before he gets run off the road or cut off in a similar way. i wonder how he'll handle that after seeing how he acted like a baby when people blamed him

He knows what's coming. It won't be in a sprint or near cameras; he'll "fall off" on a climb or descent and he'll keep his mouth shut if he's a real pro.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
If we're going to have a protest against every rider that makes a mistake which causes a crash then we're not going to get very many prompt starts

Cervelo should just shut up and ride

Cervelo have protested against Sky in Oman which is a british team and Cav who is a Brit. Cav also chopped Hushovd a cervelo rider in the tdf last year so they don't like each other

I think the teams who stood up to him did the right thing to just send a message to Cav that he needs to be a bit more cautious of his sprinting line. I think he sometimes rubs people the wrong way with his remarks and attitude.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
If we're going to have a protest against every rider that makes a mistake which causes a crash then we're not going to get very many prompt starts

Cervelo should just shut up and ride
this wasn't just a mistake, this was a breaking of the rules that led to many riders having to abandon the race and a few who will have their seasons and possibly careers ended as a result

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
wiry pyruvity said:
saw hushovd congratulate cav after cav's victory on the champ-elysees...you sure the anger persists?

I didn't explain myself well enough. The point is that cervelo and Cav have had some conflicts with each other in sprints. Hushovd may not be holding a grudge but the cervelo team have had some not so nice run-ins with Cav.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
All I can say is come race in Italy with that attitude and do what Cav did. The next race you will be "accidentally" run off the road into a ditch at 50K per hour.

And you'll be the whiner.

It's unbelievable how people like you think you have a brain, but certainly no class. Cycling isn't a bumper car derby. Cav needs to learn that. Guys were sent to the hospital becuase of his recklessnes, not a fault in the course, weather conditions, or a mere accident. There's where the protest is to be found. That and the fact that, right on form, Cav didn't even feel obliged to, I'm not saying make a public apology, but to even apologize to those he sent straight to the hospital.

I love this, and am so totally pleasantly surprised to see the whole last page of replies talking about the natural karma that Cav has coming to him within the peleton. Re-affirms my faith in humanity, lol.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dewulf said:
I love this, and am so totally pleasantly surprised to see the whole last page of replies talking about the natural karma that Cav has coming to him within the peleton. Re-affirms my faith in humanity, lol.

Unfortunately you don't always get to witness Karma or it does not come quick enough!

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Dewulf said:
there are no gimmies in cycling. if you help another rider, he or his team will eventually help you. if you screw another rider... guess what!

rhubroma said:
There's a way to be tough and gutsy, but with finess and class, that permits a sprinter to win the battle of nerves without resorting to against the rules and brash, bullying, intimidation maneuvers like what we saw in Cav's sprint the other day.

The greatest sprinter over the last 20 years and one of the tops of all time in the sport, Mario Cipollini, was one of just such a classy toughness. Watching Mario "thread the needle" was like drinking a noble Brunello, by contrast watching clutsy Cav is like drinking an insipid table wine. Mario was a university of sprinting technique. By contrast, Cav is still at the kindergarten level in his childish behavior.

While I agree with you that Mario was lightyears ahead of Cav in all departments; technique, class, handling, it should also be said that he was/is probably over a full head taller. He was a big *** guy and that helped him power through to the front. Cav rides more like a cornered rat, biting and scratching his way up, while Mario road like the Lion he was. Both had the best leadout team of their day. With Cav I don´t think his behavior has anything to do with age or inexperience. We would of seen some evidence of change by now. Thus it must be that he is naturally a bullying brat on the bike. His consistantly classless remarks and attitude offer no other conclusion.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:

odd that the varietal you chose happens to be a clone...

Tangled Tango said:
While I agree with you that Mario was lightyears ahead of Cav in all departments; technique, class, handling, it should also be said that he was/is probably over a full head taller. He was a big *** guy and that helped him power through to the front. Cav rides more like a cornered rat, biting and scratching his way up, while Mario road like the Lion he was. Both had the best leadout team of their day. With Cav I don´t think his behavior has anything to do with age or inexperience. We would of seen some evidence of change by now. Thus it must be that he is naturally a bullying brat on the bike. His consistantly classless remarks and attitude offer no other conclusion.

You have just described perfectly how Italy sees British-style football (or soccer, or calcio, or whatever the hell you want to call it).

Youa guysa playa likea buncha selvagi! Wea likesa to playa likea the dancinga ballerinas!