• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question about anti-armstrong fanboys

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Murray said:
Good thing you're not being over-dramatic. I mean really, the guy is a cyclist, not a mass murderer. :eek:

Yeah he's a guy who has shown time and time again that he will destroy careers through bullying and intimidation. In my opinion yes that is ruthless beyond what is remotely 'normal'. But maybe you have varying standards and use the 'mas murderer' barometer to measure how nice people are. Good for you.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Uh, check the title junior. You want answers, don't come in swinging. It carries the smell of disingenuousness when you do.

I've been on these forums long enough to know that you like to pick internet fights, and you just proved me right.

But that being said, I appreciate the answers given, I'm glad to have that perspective when i read future LA-related threads.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Uh, check the title junior. You want answers, don't come in swinging. It carries the smell of disingenuousness when you do.

If you knew I wanted answers, why couldn't you just give me one instead of just posting something condescending.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I didn't care about him until that affair with Simeoni. Before he was just one more of the bunch, but after that I dislike him very much. His arrogance doesn't help either.

cavfan11 said:
If you knew I wanted answers, why couldn't you just give me one instead of just posting something condescending.

His point is that the title of your thread is insulting to those of us who are not consider fans of armstrong. So while your ultimate question is innocuous, the tone of the thread gets things off (in TFF's opinion) on the wrong foot. At least that's how I read things.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
well PCMG76 laid it out. Good explanation and timeline

It doesn't bother me to see him being lifted to god status by his fanboys. I ignore that stuff, cycling is what I am interested in.

I don't appreciate TV/race announcers drooling all over him, but I still have a mute button on my remote so it's cool. :D

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
I've only been road biking coincidentally since Mr. Armstrong's announcement to come out of retirement. Having heard about his 'great reputation' and being a fellow ameriCAN, I was pretty excited.

Then the Tour came around, I don't even need to get into that. From that point forth I found him to be despicable, my feelings toward him are equal to those who have been in the know longer than I have...and let me make it very clear that it was from ONE GRAND TOUR.

I find it very hard to find anything positive about him and his actions during the Tour, post Tour and coming future. Makes me wonder how lance fanboys(girls) that are actually into cycling can defend him like he is some sort of saint. The Lance fan-dom really need to get off his nut.

I'd also like to point out Mountaingoats reasons why anti lance people are the way they are was just adorable, in that *** baby animal sort of way.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
I was a fan until he made this ridiculous comeback.
The way he and his entourage treated AC at the Tour... Beyond ugly.

oh stop it. the other side of it was much much uglier. the way he spun and [tried to] manipulate the media and the fans via the twitter and what not that he was the noble fella, a faithful teammate wronged by conta was downright intellectually offensive and to tell you the truth revolting. i was quite tolerant of his 'must play the star' moves. after all who cares how much money he has or who he screws. i don't care. but once he engaged into the shameful transparent brain washing i couldn't help my sense of total disgust.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
His point is that the title of your thread is insulting to those of us who are not consider fans of armstrong. So while your ultimate question is innocuous, the tone of the thread gets things off (in TFF's opinion) on the wrong foot. At least that's how I read things.

Thanks, I was beginning to think maybe I was being too obtuse...

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Well I am. I hate Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, and Armstrong too. I like all other cyclists, but I hate those who win too much and since the Tour is the only big race of the year I only hate the ones who win it too often.

+1

You wanna see me hate, just let someone win something. I hate winners because I cannot do so in any area of life. I sit around wishing people who lose will start to win so I can hate them too. The world is a grim joke filled with people who have a secret they will not tell those of us who never win anything. They are successful and happy; things we losers only see on TV. I find the brotherhood of man to be a cruel myth propagated by the successful to rub my nose in the filth of my own failure and isolation.

Maybe I just need to get laid?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Thoughtforfood said:
You wanna see me hate, just let someone win something. I hate winners because I cannot do so in any area of life. I sit around wishing people who lose will start to win so I can hate them too. The world is a grim joke filled with people who have a secret they will not tell those of us who never win anything. They are successful and happy; things we losers only see on TV. I find the brotherhood of man to be a cruel myth propagated by the successful to rub my nose in the filth of my own failure and isolation.

"I'm sorry you don't believe in unicorns"

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
python said:
oh stop it. the other side of it was much much uglier. the way he spun and [tried to] manipulate the media and the fans via the twitter and what not that he was the noble fella, a faithful teammate wronged by conta was downright intellectually offensive and to tell you the truth revolting. i was quite tolerant of his 'must play the star' moves. after all who cares how much money he has or who he screws. i don't care. but once he engaged into the shameful transparent brain washing i couldn't help my sense of total disgust.
peloton said:
I was a fan until he made this ridiculous comeback.
The way he and his entourage treated AC at the Tour... Beyond ugly.

I've heard lots of talk about Armstrong doing this or that bad thing and suddenly causing people to change their opinions of him. It's rubbish.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I question how long CN will sponsor this forum. It reflects badly on their image of the CN cycling fan. If they understand the spike in cycling interest over the past year, I hope they understand it's not their new site or this horrific forum, but the returning LA. They'll dump this forum in less than a year, if not before January.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
guilder said:
I question how long CN will sponsor this forum. It reflects badly on their image of the CN cycling fan. If they understand the spike in cycling interest over the past year, I hope they understand it's not their new site or this horrific forum, but the returning LA. They'll dump this forum in less than a year, if not before January.

Really - do you not like freedom of opinion?
It works both ways and you are more than welcome to contest anything that is written about him.

This site is called CyclingNews - not LanceNews. If they followed Lance they would have to dump this forum soon after July next year.
People interested in Lance might not stick around, but those interested in Cycling will.

guilder said:

It is the "haters" the Armstrong tea baggers are so upset about who were following the sport before Armstrong ever met Dr. Ferrari and will be following the sport long after Armstrong leaves. The fanboys will be off with playing their X box or themselves as soon as the object of their man crush retires again.

I admire his cycling, Im not so thrilled with him as a person. I dont think there is a question of him being great on the bicycle and it was a tribute to human tenacity by overcoming cancer and all that. I read his book a couple of years ago and didnt really feel overjoyed about him as a person. Like most pro athletes at the top, they are driven by self. You almost have to be extremely self centered which seemed to be enabled in him at an early age by his parent and everyone around him. The world according to Lance.

Then you have a situation where he wins and wins big. Now he is the target. Competitors who have 'it' and want to keep 'it' will do whatever it takes to keep it. Call it competitiveness, arrogance narcissism whatever, its usually very prominent in top athletes. Then the whole nation of france, the authorities, there and everywhere trying to bust him. Its amazing he didnt crumble and do more outlandish things than he has done. He bought into the hollywoood lifestyle, went thru a ton of women and now wants to conquer Ironman, the state of Texas , etc. Very Machiavellian in nature.

I think he is good for cycling in the usa. Without it we probably wouldnt even get the TDF except in hour shows on a sunday afternoon. 3 weeks wrapped up like Ironman. Having been in a sport that is full of rockstar personalities, PED's and media i have learned that no person is greater than the sport you love. If you love Lance great. But its about cycling for me. I like watching him compete. Also a ton of others. I really enjoyed Schleck this year more than Lance to be honest. He seemed like a kid in a candy store. A new young gun.

Yeah he passes himself off as this or that but what do you expect ? Lance will be gone after next year from the peleton and Ill still be watching and checking sites everyday and riding.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
eurotrash said:
Really, why? Are there a bunch of Indurain haters out there I am not aware of?

If I recall correctly... Back in the day, there was a bunch of folks who didn't enjoy Indurain. There just wasn't much of a avenue - other than group rides -to express such.

Cripes, admitted doper Laurent Fignon called him an extra terrestrial. I'd say that's about as damning as it gets under a code of silence.

A

Anonymous

guilder said:

I will be so happy when he retires again so that people like this will have to go find someone else to worship. Dang.

Dr. Maserati said:
For the average American sports fan (not Cycling fan) I would assume he is still as popular as ever, as I read only one report that was critical of his return.

Well said, I will take some issue with the sentence above. Americans are not as dull and slow witted as many like to paint. Being savvy to an over exposed image is natural when our media celebrity besotted culture forces us to process so many 'icons' at a time. At some point in the last couple years, the level of exposure he had began to turn a lot of people off. The idea of loving the fairy tale is so much purer than when a person presents themself as the fairy tale. There is an imbalance from the idea versus reality. It sets off red flags for many. Opinion is turning on Lance here. Not enough to slow the gravy train yet, but his brand is mature. When a brand matures, we get one last big push to max out the revenues before it gets pushed aside by the next big thing.

We're in the midst of that now. The last push for revenue.

Look at Britney Spears, what a cycle for that 'brand': she was new and 'perfect', then she is beloved, she made a fortune, she imploded when we got sick of seeing her and she got sick of being the fairy tale (an imbalance from how much exposure we got versus how much we could stand), and now we forgive her and she is a shadow of her former iconic status. We're back in balance. We build 'em up, we break 'em back down.

guilder said:
I've heard lots of talk about Armstrong doing this or that bad thing and suddenly causing people to change their opinions of him. It's rubbish.

I don't understand. Are you contesting peoples right to change their opinion of someone when presented with new evidence, or are you saying that Saint Lance is perfect and has never done anything that should put anyone off of him.

A

Anonymous

can we set a cut of point when we stop talking about lance...

i would like to propose Friday April 19th 2013, unless anyone has any better ideas.. :D

TRENDING THREADS