• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Stage 1 will finish in St. Pölten, at least we'll get pretty close to the Wienerwald. ;)
Gigs, I already visited your hometown in my 2nd Österreichrundfahrt, this time we won't have a stage that finishes in that area.

Libertine Seguros said:
I am amazed, railxmig has managed to put together some posts that make my route posts seem pretty lazy and ill-thought-out, WITHOUT drawing attention to birthplaces of Spanish climbers (who are all unique and different in their own ways) or German biathletes (some of whom are more flatulent than others). Focusing on the cycling route at the expense of a Nordic sports travelogue simply will not do, so luckily I'm here to address that.
No worry, it was just a mockery joke to try to be funny. You're basically my idol. You can count me as your worshipper #Mark_David_Chapman. ;)

Besides that, i love Carlos Sastre. My history with biathlon ended somewhere around 2005 with Sven Fisher, Hannevold, Bjoerndalen, Lars Berger etc. While i still am a quite big fan of Ski Jumping (watching from Lillehammer 1994) but not as much nowadays as in the past. I'm lacking time in my life and there's no Peterka ("Vodka"), Thoma ("Rubber Legs"), Hannavald ("Backstreet Boy"), Malysz ("Walesa"), Romoeren, Achonen (aka "The Statue") or Herr to spice things up while Kasai is only at the beginning of his career. Propably it's just my whiny, old and hemoroid butt speaking here. My post's are still very vague addresing each of the stage's elements only in couple of sentences, but then creating such posts would take for ever...

Your stage to Seefeld kinda reminds me like a harder version of Oropa stage in 2014 Giro with Silzer Sattel as Alpe Noveis and Kühtai Sattel as Bielmonte. Because the bunch's quality is mostly not as "good" as in parallel Tour then there might be some propability of serious attacks or crucial selection back in Silzer Sattel. It's a typical place where it's easy to lose whole race and hard to win the race.

Critérium du Dauphiné by railxmig - stage 3

Ok, i feel i should post another stage here. This is the stage I had most trouble with. It's quite unusual for ASO design standards nowadays. I'm slightly changing the formula of descriptions and i'm also introducing a section with basic geographical information (that i could find) about the stage. This stage might be hindered because next day there's an ITT but it theoretically isn't a GC in the first place.

library: click here

Chambéry - Bourgoin-Jallieu, 169km, ~2700m asc, Medium Mountain

mXuTCTS.jpg

B5wIsnP.png

Start: Chambéry, Boulevard du Musée, Statue de la Sasson
Km 0: Barberaz, Avenue du Granier, 3,8km from the start
Finish: Bourgoin-Jallieu, Avenue d'Italie, Porte de Médicis, 680m straight
Sprint: Chatonnay, Route des Alpes, 370m straight
Feed zone: Montferrat, Jalamion, D50

Start - km 0:
Boulevard du Musée - Boulevard de la Colonne - Place des Éléphants - Rue de Boigne - Place du
Château - Rue du Château - Place Caffe - Place Monge - Rue de la République - Place de la
Brigade de Savoie - Rond-Point Jean Jacques Rousseau - Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau - Chemin du
Vercors - Barberaz, Route de l'Église - Barberaz, Rue de la Chambotte - Barberaz, Route de la
Villette - Barberaz, Avenue du Granier

List of climbs:
Col du Granier - 9,7km, 8,6%, 1 Cat. 1134m
Col de la Croix des Mille Martyrs - 8,6km, 5,8%, 2 Cat. 884m
Côte des Pautes - 3,5km, 4,6%, 4 Cat. 560m
Côte de Bigallet - 1,6km, 6,7%, 4 Cat. 572m
Côte de la Rivoire - 1,1km, 10%, 3 Cat. 335m

Departaments:
Savoie, start - 13km
Isère, 13km - 23km
Savoie, 23km - 34km
Isère, 34km - finish

Preface:
As i've mentioned it's a quite unususal stage. I would call it even unorthodox for the ASO design standards nowadays. You don't see many of such stages, where the climbs are progressively easier and where the stage begins in a mountainous terrain with a flat/hilly finish. The closest one in design was stage 12 from Tour 2012 (and 2009 Pyrenean stages, but i refuse to even try remember them for obvious reasons). That stage had two climbs in the first part (Grand-Cucheron, not present, and Granier from exactly same side as today) and flat second part with a hilly finish. Placement of those two stages is similiar too – they're both after a hard mountain stage.

It's a transitional stage with big propability of a breakaway win. I've categorised it as a medium mountain one because of the presence of a cat. 1 and cat. 2 climbs even if accumulated uphill meters are just inside the benchmark of a medium mountain stage. This stage goes through two departaments: Savoie and Isère.

This stage can be divided into two parts.
First part – 0 – 65km. Part from Chambéry to Saint-Geoire-en-Valdaine is quite mountainous with two climbs: cat. 1 and cat. 2 soon after. There are only a couple of short stretches of flat roads as even the run-in to cat. 1 is bumpy.
Second part – 65km – 169km. It's mostly flat to bumpy with three climbs: two cat. 4 and a cat. 3 just 4km from the finish line. There are of course more small hills, but they're too small and too flat to be categorised.

This stage shouldn't be underestimated, as the roads are twisty and at times have questionable quality. Because this stage is technically challenging with it's twisty roads it could be counted as the technicall try of this race. Some of the roads in the first, montainous part of the stage will be present in my Tour.

Purpose:
The purpose of this stage is mostly to move out the peloton from Alps to Viennois region – highlands around Lyon and Vienne keeping the flow of the whole race by limiting transfers to a bare minimum in process. It can be a stage for either a breakaway, a sprinter, who manages to stay or catch up after the mountainous beginning and twisty final or a GC threat who will be eager for additional couple of seconds. This stage shouldn't be GC relevant unless a strong breakaway of GC outsiders will try to shake up a bit. It should however test the strategical mind of the teams, as it's a quite complicated stage with a lot of possible outcomes. The last hill shouldn't create big gaps (at most 10-15s).

Start:
Stage will start in Chambéry on Boulevard du Musée in front of Statue de la Sasson.
it0VmEK.jpg

Chambéry is no stranger to hosting a stage for either Dauphine or Tour. It will have a quite important role in my own try at Tour de France.
T76NzTm.jpg

The km 0 will be in Barberaz on Avenue du Granier [D12], 3,8km from the start. Barberaz is a small town south-east of Chambéry. It belongs to the aglomeration of Chambéry. To reach km 0 peloton will follow:
Boulevard du Musée - Boulevard de la Colonne - Place des Éléphants - Rue de Boigne - Place du Château - Rue du Château - Place Caffe - Place Monge - Rue de la République - Place de la Brigade de Savoie - Rond-Point Jean Jacques Rousseau - Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau - Chemin du Vercors - Barberaz, Route de l'Église - Barberaz, Rue de la Chambotte - Barberaz, Route de la Villette - Barberaz, Avenue du Granier.
VkEh4r0.jpg

Climbs:
This stage has only one climb that's relatively known from either Tour or Dauphine – Col du Granier. Rest of them does seem to be virgins with doubts about Col de la Croix des Mille Martyrs. Below is a list of categorised climbs to tackle and their short description.

Col du Granier (1134m). The first climb of the day is a cat. 1 climb – 9,7km at 8,6%. It's one of the most important cols in Chartreuse region and it's well known from Tour and Dauphine roads, especially as it always took part in classic north side Grenoble stages. This time will be used propably the most challenging west side from Cernon (Chapareillan) as in stage 12 from Tour 2012. It's much more irregular than the profile sugests with short stretches of 10 to 15% mixed with more flatish sections in close succesion. Maximum slope is supposedly at around 18%. It should be a good terrain to create a strong breakaway.
O4hsg7I.jpg

Col de la Croix des Mille Martyrs (884m). This one can turn to be problematic. It's a cat. 2 climb – 8,6km at 5,8% so nothing hard. The climb is quite irregular with some patches steeper and some flatter and a small plateau 3km into the climb. However the steeper parts doesn't seem to be steeper than 10%. I'm not sure if it ever was used in Tour or Dauphine. I think that Tour tried to include it somewhere around 2009 to 2012 but apparently without success. I've managed to create a profile of this climb, i hope it's closer to reality than last Vuelta profiles.
INPCz7a.png

The problem in using this climb can arouse in form of a nearby protected area. I'm not sure if the road that will be used is in this protected area. If this climb is out of reach then an alternative can be used. Descending on D49 from Miribel-les-Échelles as far as Saint-Nicolas-de-Macherin and then turning into D49C to Le Burlet and back to the actual stage. It would be then a longer and flatter, but plausible journey. D49C is a two-lane road with average surface quality, perfectly suitable for the race.
3okpbrR.jpg

Côte des Pautes (560m) begins just after Virieu after a long flattish section (around 25km). It's a cat. 4 climb, 3,5km at 4,6%. It's one of those climbs that begins tough but flattens progressively into a plateau on the summit. It is simillar to climbs on yesterday's stage. After the summit there is a small plateau before a long, shallow descend. First 300m up to Gare de Virieu are the steepest one at around 8%.

Côte de Bigallet (572m). Located in Bois Bigallet belonging to Massif des Bonnevaux north of Commelle in Plain du Liers. It's 28km after Côte des Pautes. It is a cat. 4 climb – 1,6km, 6,7%. It's an opposite to Côte des Pautes as it begins flattish and progressively steepens up. The summit is located in a small trench.

Côte de la Rivoire (335m). Last climb (or rather hill) of the day. It's short but steep. It begins at around 12% to slightly let down closer to the summit. It's a borderline cat. 3/4. I've decided to categorise it as a cat. 3 because of the steepness and closeness to the finish. It's 1,1km at 10% with maximum slope around 12%. It should be a good lounchpad for an attack for an eventual stage win or just getting a couple of seconds as the descend is technical.

Sprint:
It's interesting that the best places for a sprint in this stage are in the middle of nowhere. Today the sprint will propably be held in the entrance of Chatonnay on Route des Alpes at the end of a 370m straight line. Because this sprint is located just 37km from the finish it can end up being an important factor in this stage. This sprint will be won by a breakaway, but if the group is small then peloton might speed up for this sprint to take remaining points, making breakaway's life much harder. Still, it can get harder for both sides as this sprint is just 5km after a cat. 4 Côte de Bigallet.

Feed zone:
Feed zone is located just outside commune of Montferrat on D50 close to a small settlement Jalamion after 77,7km from the start. It's placed after cat. 2 Col de la Croix des Mille Martyrs and way before sprint so it makes a nice place to slow down and take a nap (on a bike obviously).

Run-in:
Run-in to the finish line is twisty and complicated, that's why i decided to give it a closer look. Riders should be very careful to not end in a crash. This terrain should help out the breakaway or/and guys from peloton eager to attack. I've defined the run-in as last 13km starting in Saint-Alban-de-Roche (just west of Bourgoin-Jallieu) from the intersection between Montée du Chemin Neuf [D124A] and Route de Lyon la Grive [D312]. Then, in nearby L'Isle-d'Abeau, after long right turn above D1006 and A43 there's a two-lane Avenue du Bourg separated by a road island (or whatever it's called). It's however just 350m long. In next 5kms on D208, before entering Bourgoin-Jallieu, there are no difficulties besides three rond-points.

In Bourgoin-Jallieu peloton goes first through two rond-points under A43 and over La Bourbre river. They will keep going close to La Bourbre turning left into Quai de la Bourbre. It's a two-lane road with fine quality surface. After around 700m they will turn left into Rue de la Rivoire D143C heading to la Rivoire, as the cat. 3 hill begins. The road quality isn't the best here, but it's interstingly still two-lane. On top of this hill the road however narrows keeping it's dodgy surface quality; it favours smaller groups. This stretch of road is however only 380m long so it shouldn't pose many (or any) organisational problems. The descend is twisty with some uncomfortable turns, but it's on two-lane roads with at least slightly better quality (not best though). It should help out any breakaways or attackers with good bike handling skills. Bigger groups should look out for any eventual crashes. Last part is in the city with 5 mostly 90-degree turns in last 2kms.
hQ5ApIT.jpg

Finish:
Bourgoin-Jallieu is no stranger to Dauphine (2006 stage 1 finish won by Fabian Wegman and stage 2 start to Saint-Galmer won by Gilbert) and hosted a start in Tour (1962 ITT won by Anquetil and 2009 sprint won by Cavendish). I'm not sure if there was ever a stage finish, maybe in much older times.
7lJ6IEr.gif

Finish will be held in Bourgoin-Jallieu in the same place as it was in 2006 – Avenue d'Italie at the end of a 680m straight line, just outside Porte de Médicis. This time however the run-in is a lot more complicated, as I've described before. 700m before finish line there are two 90-degree turns in span of 100m. First is left, second is right. Because of complicated run-in the usual lead-out guys should be worried not only by good positioning of their leaders but to showcase good descending and technique.
3W2Ie0p.jpg

Roads:
In this stage the roads are mostly twisty with only a handful of straights with the longest one being D51 around 45km off the finish and a 2km stretch on D1090 at the beginning. Most of the roads are two-lane and their overall quality is varied but should be enough to hold a cycling race. There are some stretches that are narrower and/or worser quality. There is around 1,5-lane, 2,6km long D17 Côte des Pautes (95-98km), 380m long around 1,3-lane road on top of Côte de la Rivoire and eventual narrowings in towns and cities. It makes less than 5km of roads narrower than a two-lane (6m wide). However a good bunch of those roads aren't in the best surface quality.

This stage uses 9,5kms of red roads (important ones that should be limited as much as possible for cycling tours) separated into three stretches: 2,5km long D1090 Chambéry – Grenoble road from 10,8-13,3km, 1km long D1075 Bourg-en-Bresse – Grenoble road from 76,5-77,5km and 6km long D51 from 118,3-124,3km. The stage doesn't interfeer with any autoroute or express road's junctions. I can only hope last 13km are not twisty and complicated enough to not be included in Dauphine.

Possible outcome:
As it was mentioned before, only stage similiar in last 5 years was only Tour 2012 stage 12. What happened there? I actualy missed that stage, so i will make use of the stage reports. In the first part with two mountains it was tense with a big (20 or sth) group with Moncoutie (later crashed on the descend), Kiserlovski and Millar. On Granier another group with Sagan tried to get away but failed. After descend from Granier situation stabilised and the remains of original breakaway comfortably stayed ahead of peloton to contest for the stage. Millar won with Peraud and Egoi Martinez closeby.

This stage can end up similiar with a brakaway winning it. First part of the stage should be fast, nervous and chaotic. The ending seems to be more complex than in it's 2012 counterpart. It is kinda similiar to Dauphine 2012 stage 2 finish in Saint-Vallier, where Cadel Evans with Coppel and Kashechkin managed to get only (but still) 4 sec on a 90-man peloton led by Bouhanni. If it would come to the Peloton then the stage could go to a sprinter, who will survive the first part or manages to come back to the front.

The last climb and it's location differs from Dauphine 2012 stage. On this stage the last climb – Côte de la Sizeranne – was propably tougher (3km, 6,5%) than this stage's Côte de la Rivoire (1,1km, 10%) but located further from the finish line (9km compared to Côte de la Rivoire 4km). Descend is twisty and technicall in both cases but the one from 2012 (where Evans attacked) was longer and narrower than today but with longer flat portion in the finish.

Location of the sprint just 37km from the finish can end up being important for the outcome of this stage. Fatigue can be a decisive factor in this stage.

Possible scenarios:
Breakaway win. If the breakaway will win, then the propablity of this breakaway being dangerous is small. Peloton will propably roll in 5 to 10 minutes in areas, propably complete. The bigger the breakaway the more chances of succeding it will have. The stage then should be won by the most willing/intelligent guy or the best sprinter in the group.

Sprintfest. This stage should be challenging enough to not end in a regular sprint. If a bigger group would end up fightning for the stage win it would have around 60 to 80 riders in it. The winner then should be either a tougher sprinter like Sagan, Degenkolb, Matthews or a puncher with good sprint like Alaphillipe, Gallopin, Kwiatkowski or Clarke. Even if a pure sprinter would hang on the last hill I don't think he could win the stage, as last kms are tough and technically challenging. Combine it with fatigue factor and yesterday's hard day then he should be quite worn out before even have a dig at sprint.

Attack close to the finish. Scenario à la Evans. If a puncher (GC threat or not) would try to get out on the last hill he'll have the terrain to maintain any advantage and try it to keep to the finish line getting around 5-10s in process. Similar scenario happened in the Dauphine 2012 stage 2 mentioned before.

Geography:
Start of the stage – Chambéry is located between Massif des Bauges and Massif de Chartreuse at the confluence of Leysse and Albanne rivers. The stage then goes west into Massif de Chartreuse passing by Mont Granier, goes by Le Cozon and Guiers Vif rivers south-east of La Cochette (1618m) turning west. The stage continues west and leaves Chartreuse at Val d'Ainan (Saint-Geoire-en-Valdaine) entering Les Terres Froides. Terrain here for another 40km is hilly with hills between 500 – 750m a.s.l. (highest peak – Les Montenvers at 734m east of Châbons). Through the area peloton will go by a couple of lakes with Lac de Paladru (82-87km) being the biggest.
U2nDRKj.jpg

At around 107km (Montrevel) the terrain changes from hilly to mostly flat as we enter Plaine du Liers. After 17km in Comelle stage turns north into Massif des Bonnevaux and then Val de Gervonde and Saint-Jean-de-Bournay. The stage keeps north into Artas and hills (up to 530m a.s.l.) west of Bourgoin-Jallieu where it turns east into Bourgoin-Jallieu. North of the city there are steep hills up to 350m a.s.l. where the last climb of the stage is located.

Mont Granier (1933m) – very characteristic climb in the northeast Chartreuse massif. Thanks to 1248 landslide it has now a limestone cliff of around 800m high.
EH9t05l.jpg

Les Terres Froides – hilly region with lakes mainly around Bourgoin-Jallieu, stretching from Lyon outskirst to the base of Chartreuse massif. It's known to have quite harsh climate in winter because the area is builded mainly by clay that has a feature of being slow to warm up while the terrains surrounding this region are mainly builded by easier to warm up moraine sands (don't ask me, i'm not a geology specialist).

Plaine du Liers – flat at approx 500m a.s.l. from Châbons and Montrevel east to Comelle west.

Massif des Bonnevaux – hills located north of Comelle in la Plaine du Liers. Summits reaching up to around 610m (Mont Buffet, 606m). It's home to around 300 ponds that habits some rare dragonfly species.

Tourist attractions:
Sorry, but it's too time consuming to me more specific. That's why i'm only limiting myself to a mere list of more important ones.
Myans (5km) – Les Abîmes de Myans, Sanctuarie de Notre-Dame de Myans – church from XI c. One of the few (or only one) in the area to survive a massive landslide on Mt Granier in 1248. Apparently people found it as a sign from God and rest is history.
TbwlDpy.jpg

Gorges du Guiers Vif (34-45km) – Guiers Vif river valley between Saint-Pierre-d'Entremont and Entre-deux-Guiers
LoWCmHN.jpg

Saint-Geoire-en-Valdaine (65km) – Château de Longpra
2xWx0bl.jpg

Montferrat (78km) – Gîte La Marinière à Montferrat

Virieu (93,5km) – Château de Virieu
jUgeQfd.jpg

Bourgoin-Jallieu (finish) – Château de Petit Mont, Château de Rosière, Château de Thézieu, Hôtel de Ville etc.
pLW3f9G.jpg

ckOTIVQ.jpg

I'll try to post next stage on Thursday as tomorrow i will have a busy day. Have a nice day/night.

Wow, even Barmaher would be speechless about this post :D
Just in case you wondered, I copied the whole text into word and if word is right these are about 3450 words. Railxmig, you are crazy and I mean that in a very very good way :)

@Mayo
You are right about my hometown but you still didnt use any climb in the Wienerwald :p (except the Hagental, but as far as I remember it was uncategorized and I think you don't even know you used it because thats an ascent which probably isnt even 500 meters long. Nevertheless ofc it makes sense to use other parts of Austria this time

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
And here we go:
Stage 1 Linz - St. Pölten; 198km
stage11.png

stage12.png

The stage starts in Linz, the third-largest city of Austria and capital of the state of Upper Austria. Linz is also well known for the Linzer torte, which is said to be the oldest cake in the world.
The first 100km of the stage are mostly false flat and will take the riders eastwards, the first climb starts near Melk, a town mostly know for its stunning baroque Benedictine monastery, the Melk Abbey.
melk-niederoesterreich-2jp4g.jpg

The first climb is Jasenegg, 7.3km at 4.8%, followed by a short descent.
Then we have the 2nd climb that finishes in Thumling, 3.9km at 5.9%, after the actual climb we still have 11km around 2% then we reach Ottenschlag, then we have 7km of false flat until the actual descent starts, the Ottenschlager Straße features a few tricky hairpins.
after 6km of false flat the hardest climb of the day starts, Mitterarnsdorf, 5.7km at 7.9% with a max. gradient of 17% (the village at the start of the climb and the road are both called Mitterarnsdorf).
Mitterarnsdorf:
P1150075.JPG

the start of the rather narrow road:
image.jpg

Right after the descent that also takes place on rather narrow roads the next climb already starts.
It's the L162 from Gansbach, 5.3km at 5.1%.
The following descent is rather gentle and the final 15km of the stage are false flat.
The stage will finish in St. Pölten, the capital and largest city of the State of Lower Austria.
Linz:
alpenblick-linz-spaetfruehling-winter.jpg

hauptplatz-linz.jpg

St. Pölten:
qs_statement-1-10-43-1_746.jpg

st_poelten_Rathausplatz_23743.jpg

This one should be interesting, the narrow roads in the middle of the stage and the climbs will make it pretty hard to control the stage, all the pure sprinters should be dropped, I don't know if too many teams will try to control the race, a few smaller teams could send their riders on the attack on one of the harder climbs, it should be fun to watch.
I think this stage could actually be a pretty decent one day race, if you'd add a 20-30km long loop around Linz at the start you'd have a pretty good one day race.

Stage 4: Hochfilzen - Obertilliach, 171km

29yicg1.png

21c9hnb.png

GPM:
Fuscher Törl (HC) 19,0km @ 8,4%
Großglockner-Hochtor (cat.3) 4,0km @ 5,9%
Paß Iselsberg (cat.2) 6,1km @ 5,1%
Bannberg (cat.1) 6,0km @ 9,4%
Bichl (cat.2) 3,7km @ 10,8%
Kärtitscher Sattel (cat.2) 8,3km @ 5,4%

This stage is very old indeed; I designed this one YEARS ago, but with there never being a route that it quite fit into (never been happy with an Österreichrundfahrt, too far away from the border for a Deutschlandrundfahrt or Giro stage) it has sat dormant, although I've hinted at it before. It's a prototypical hard-to-control intermediate stage of the kind that often works in the Österreichrundfahrt due to the lesser field compared to the coterminous Tour - compare this short stage from 2012 which turned the GC upside down - a classic use of the Großglockner's brutal difficulty to shred the field then watch the chaos unfold from the smaller groups later on. And here we get that, but with multiple small climbs, an easyish final climb, and of course more wintersport pedigree than you could ever need.

urlaub-hochfilzen-1.jpg

Just a little way across from where we passed in yesterday's stage, Hochfilzen is a small town in the Pillerseetal known primarily outside of Austria for one reason: biathlon.

biathlon-stadium-hochfilzen.jpg

Yes, much as yesterday's stage linked the two most important ski jumps in Austria, today's stage links the two most important biathlon facilities, starting at the one which annually hosts the World Cup in December, and which will be hosting the World Championships in 2017. Its most famous son is Dominik Landertinger, the youngest World Champion in biathlon history and now an established star, although he was not born here, rather in Braunau am Inn, which has a much more famous but less beloved son of its own. We're headed southwards into Osttirol today, so we retrace some of our steps from yesterday across the Zeller See and Krössenbach before taking on the most iconic, historic ascent in Austria, the mythical giant that is the Großglockner, from its harder northern side.

HochtorN.gif

As you can see, it's a double ascent really, as the final few kilometres to Hochtor are only a coda, appended on to the real brute, which is the climb to Fuscher Törl at an ungodly gradient for nearly 20km of suffering - truly one of the most self-evident hors catégorie climbs in Europe. 12 consecutive kilometres at 9% or more? Check. Twisty, scenic hairpins? Check. This one is a monster, a demonic piece of tarmac-spaghetti draped over an uncompromising landscape to climb up to 2500m altitude. This one will both ensure a strong break and also ensure that domestiques are at a premium from very early on today, because getting over this in the lead group will take some doing.

hochalpenstrasse.jpg

With these swooping vistas riders will be forgiven for wanting to stop for a look at the scenery, but there's no respite, for no sooner has the road angled down than there's another shorter, lighter climb appended to add insult to injury. And then it's over... through the Hochtor tunnel and then a similarly long and winding descent, which will take plenty of technical skills and should keep riders alert. There's still over 100km remaining at the summit, so GC moves will be unlikely if not downright impossible, but certainly the péloton should have been massively trimmed so that once we're done with the descent, keeping a handle on the bunch for the rest of the race will take some doing.

The next climb after we pass the junction for Franz-Josefs-Höhe, where the Großglockner stage of the 2010 Österreich Rundfahrt (won by Riccardo Riccò) and of the 2011 Giro (won by José Rujano) finished, is as always with the Großglockner, Paß Iselsberg. This is always the first climb after, or last climb before, the mighty beast, owing to its position as a medium-sized obstacle between Lienz and the summit; it is perhaps overcategorized 2nd category here, but given they often give cat.2 to Hochtor after Fuscher Törl, or even sillier, Fuscher Törl after Hochtor, I don't feel too guilty. Anyway, from here the riders descend into the city of Lienz, host of a number of Giro stage starts and the administrative centre of Osttirol, but best known to most of the world as a host of the Alpine Skiing World Cup on its many surrounding slopes.

view-from-room-balcony.jpg

The short trip through the valley in which Lienz sits includes a brief respite from climbing for an intermediate sprint, but it is the last flat of the stage. There are a number of short-to-mid-length brutal ascents in the Lienz region, mainly linking up to those legendary ski slopes. We're only partially bothering with them, however, as there is no MTF and none of them can be used as passes; the nearest that there is to that is the Bannberg, which is partway up the brutal ascent to the Hochsteinhütte. At 6km averaging over 9%, it's akin to Peña Cabarga or Urkiola in nature, those short, steep icons of northern Spanish cycling. And the last kilometre is slightly easier too - as you can see from the profile. 42km remain at the summit, but there's little respite because here we're on what's called the Pustertaler Höhenstraße, an up-and-down highland road which is unforgiving, linking a number of hilltop villages above the valley floor by means of short, sharp ascents, as per the following profile, albeit cycled from right to left.

Pustertal.gif

Some parts are fairly typical hillside scenery, but other parts are a bit more spectacular.

Hoehenstrass.jpg

With the second part of the ascent, the climb to the village of Bichl, cresting at 33km from the line and basically seeing gradients of 11% for three painful kilometres reminiscent of Montée Laurent Jalabert or Xorret del Catí, this is likely to be where the real moves begin; there's almost no respite after Bannberg, which should have got rid of a lot of helpers who've fought on after Großglockner, and there's no flat to come. Admittedly, there's also an uncategorized climb, that 2km or so at 5,5% into Marwiesen may have been categorization-worthy in a flat stage, but here it's nothing; except maybe a platform for an unexpected attack when the groups are small and the gradient reaches a noteworthy 12%.

The riders then traverse the valley floor and head eastwards once more, and it's time for the final climb of the day, and also one of the easiest categorized climbs (therefore to incentivize earlier moves) - the comparatively benign Kartitscher Sattel.

2011-07-05%20Urlaub%201930%20Kartitscher%20Sattel.JPG

Averaging only around 5,4% for 8km, and with steepest ramps still in single figures, the profile shows a more tempo based climb, but with the race likely to be in small groups all over the place by now, there's still the platform to attack if the group lacks cohesion; otherwise groups will have the chance to distance any contenders they have put behind them or work together on the more rhythmical slopes to bring back those that got away on the earlier hell-slopes. Given that the climb crests with less than six kilometres to go, as well, it's the last roll of the dice so you'd better make it count!

1247225799Obertilliach7.jpg

Our stage town, Obertilliach, is very small, but its main claim to fame until recently was, of course, its famous biathlon stadium, which hosted the 2013 Youth & Junior World Championships, which were dominated by two now high-class World Cup level athletes (the men's events by Norway's Johannes Thingnes Bø, now World Champion in the sprint, and the women's by Germany's Laura Dahlmeier, now a World Championships medallist in sprint and pursuit and one of the most feared markswomen and relay anchors in the sport); due to comparatively high altitude and snow conditions, it is a favourite training venue for many teams, and indeed was Ole Einar Bjørndalen's training site of choice for years (to an extent it still is); one of its rollerski tracks is name for the legendary Norwegian. The town was also, of course, featured in the filming for Spectre, the most recent film in the extended James Bond franchise, which has garnered it a whole new, non-biathlon-related fame, albeit briefly.

d36db7049893a3e7_be6a1209895d5f29.jpg

This one should be very tough to control because, well, the Großglockner is so tough that even soft-pedalled it will sort the field out in the kind of péloton usually attracted by the Österreichrundfahrt. Once they get past Lienz, however, it's a slaughter out there, with climb after climb, getting progressively less steep, so the closer to the finish you get, the harder it will be to make an attack stick, but the more tired your opponents' legs will be... a delicate balancing act.

w52 said:
Like i previously mentioned, the stage starts in Thuir and the first 30km will be in false flat until the first climb of the day in the Col de Jau. This climb is long but is not the steepest the average gradient is +/- 5%, it will be a nice warm up for the remaining of the stage
It's a nice climb, actually, not super steep overall as you mentioned, but I remember grinding it out in the sun. There are caves nearby with outstanding stalagt-mite formations, a hole in the mountain to see the sun from within the cave. Movie-like. A perfect vacation spot. Or a place to survive WW3 if Trump gets elected ;) .

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Vuelta de Argentina 2016 - Santa Cruz

Stage 3: Esperanza - Valdelen Ski Resort (162 km)

The finishing town of yestardays stage is also the starting point of this (last) day of competition, from Esperanza to the small ski station of Valdelen, near the minning town of Rio Turbio. The terrain of the first part of the stage is very similar to stage 2 (exposed to winds with no roadsive cover). From Tapi Aike the route will transit a more shelter road along hilly terrain until the arrive to Rio Turbio, there is the final climb to Valdelen (4,6 km @ 5,7%). Because it's not long enough for pure climbers, the race winner should be a rouller with some climbing ability.

2016va03.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Stage 2: St. Pölten - Mattersburg; 163km
stage21.png

stage22.png

The 2nd stage starts in St. Pölten, so there won't be a transfer after stage 1.
The first 41km are mostly false flat, then we have the first climb of the day, Ochsattel, 6.2km at 5%
P5210002_orig.jpg

P5210012_orig.jpg

It's not the hardest climb in the world, but it has a few ramps at 11%.
After the descent we have about 50km of false flat, then the 2nd climb, Gasteil, starts, 6.6km at 4.1%.
The following descent is rather easy and will bring the riders to Ternitz, a small town that is situated at the confluence of the Sierning stream and the River Schwarza.
IMG_2828--Ternitz--2.jpg

After Ternitz we have 23km before the final climb starts. It's Hollerberg on the Hollerbergstraße, 9.1km at 4%.
On top of the climb we have 7km of false flat/rolling terrain before the technical descent on the Rosalienstraße starts.
On the descent the riders will go right past Burg Forchtenstein, a stunning castle built in the late Middle Ages and expanded and partially rebuilt durning the 17th century.
burg-forchtenstein.jpg

The final 6km are false flat and will bring the riders the Mattersburg, a town in Burgenland that was part of the Burgenland Siebengemeinden, seven Jewish communities located in Eisenstadt and its surrounding area. Burgenland used to be a part of Transleithania, the Hungarian part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, until 1918, but don't try to make any jokes about them being Hungarians. ;)
Mattersburg:
bild1-mattersburg-totale.jpg

cMattersburgFotoPrinz_580_385_100.jpg

This one should be much easier to control than stage 1, the sprinters who can climb a little but have a good chance of winning this stage. It could go to a late attacker, if he's able to get a gap on the technical part of the final descent he has a good shot at winning the stage.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Stage 3: Innsbruck - Bischofshofen, 191km

35a21vk.png

zlptz5.png
Obviously not done like this, but I've just realised that you've kind of sandwiched together my two Deutschland Rundfarht stages, that either start or finish in Austria.

@RailXmig: I didn't read all of your post as I am lazy and just briefly skim over long posts like that, however you must have a lot of spare time to be able to create these posts!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Stage 3: Mattersburg - Rust ITT; 33km
stage31.png

stage32.png

My Österreich Rundfahrt will have a decent length ITT at the start of the race, this should create big gaps before the mountain stages and force the climbers to attack on the mountain stages, if we are lucky we'll get a great battle between the pure climbers and the strong TT-specialists who can limit their losses in the Mountains.
The time trial starts in Mattersburg and in the middle of the ITT the riders will ride through Eisenstadt, the state capital of Burgenland. The famous composer Joseph Haydn lived there as Hofkapellmeister under Esterházy patronage. The Esterházys were a Hungarian noble family and one of the richest familes of the whole Habsburg Empire (I had to learn Hayn's biography durning Middle School, just like with Mozart's, Bach's and Beethoven's, so I still remember all those things).
Eisenstadt:
c55cb8387a23167c_7d9ec3ebce0358d6.jpg

Schloss Esterházy:
1.jpg

The time trail finishes in Rust a stunning small city on the shore of Lake Neusiedl, most of the Austrian Part of the Lake is still belongs to the Esterházy family.
Fischerkirche%20%28C%29%20Hubert%20Weidenbacher.jpg

P1016637%20%28Large%29.JPG

Usually the Österreich Rundfahrt has an ITT around Lake Neusiedl/Neusiedler See that starts and finishes in Podersdorf am Neusiedler See as stage 7 after the mountain stages that was won by a few pretty big names, Pinotti in 2012 and Cancellara 2013, before the final parade stage, but I wanted to have a long ITT before the hard mountain stages.
This should be a time trial for the specialist, wide roads, not very technical, but wind could be a factor, after all the Neusiedler See is on of Austria's sailing and windsurfing hotspots.

lemon cheese cake said:
@RailXmig: I didn't read all of your post as I am lazy and just briefly skim over long posts like that, however you must have a lot of spare time to be able to create these posts!
I'm a weekend student (is it called part-time student?). I've done this Dauphine in my spare time, but it balooned into a massive project that took too much time of me and now i'm way behind the schedule, especially as the semester is heading towards the end. I am now doing my homework for studies and it is taking more time than i wanted and estimated to.

To create one post it takes me up to an hour of work. The whole posts are created way beforehand (like a week or even more) and saved in a word file. Here is just to check the spelling and paste the pic files i had saved. Still to create a description of one stage is from one whole day of work (8-10h) to three days (stage 3 being the most notorious), so not as much at it seems to be. Still, most of those posts were originally ment to be much longer (up to even 10 word pages), but i've managed to cut some of the imo less important parts, yet i'm uncertain if those posts are just too long, but still vague in information. I might not even know, how to reduce the amount of information to the point of posts being relatively small and contain every important detail i could find about the stage. It is technically a problem i am facing in real life, as profs in my college marks my referats as too long and concentrated on only handful of important information in the subject.

I hope that somewhere in the future some aspiring race designer will find those posts and maybe they will help him/her/it more in a faster stage creation process; if he will know which climbs are more accesible to racing than others (i'm not writing here about connection with other climbs), which roads are more suited for racing than others in each region, which places seems to be more suited for start/finish etc. Of course it depends on how much of a false-realism this person wants to achieve. Still i'm not sure, which parking lots i can use and which i can't or which roads will be less costly to close from traffic. I always felt like those aspects are kind of neglected. Propably it's just me and this whole paragraph is irrelevant so don't worry about it.

I've lost some time here to post an overblown answer to a short question so i guess i post another stage. Thanks to it being an ITT the post will be much smaller in size and there will be much less content to read. Maybe i will post one of the stages without any information - only most important pics. Mybe this formula will be better for eyes rather than a neverending wall of text.

Critérium du Dauphiné by railxmig - stage 3

The only time trial in this race (not counting the prologue). Even if I feel this race is more suited for climbers, they will need to pull of some form on this stage to not lose too much time.

Villefontaine - Vienne, 40km, ~330m asc, ITT

PgkZnMj.jpg

nC9F3iN.png

Start: Villefontaine, Rue Katia B, Supermarché Casino
Finish: Vienne, Cours Marc-Antoine Brillier, 75m straight

List of climbs (not categorised):
Côte du Muscadin - 1,1km, 4,8%, 276m
Montée de Malissol - 2km, 4,9%, 292m
Côte de la Rente - 2,2km, 5,5%, 395m

Departaments:
Isère, start - finish

Preface:
Seemingly a regular time trial of regular length mostly on regular straight roads, maybe slightly hillier than usual but there is a tiny snag here. Last 10km have a lot of uphill, are quite technicall as they're meandering around hills on the east bank of Rhône (Les Balmes Viennoises). The descend to the finish line is very tricky with false bends and three very tight turns. It's the second stage, where GC will be shaken at least a bit. Because next day is pan flat the preformances today shouldn't be hampered by it.

Purpose:
Purpose of this stage is just to have an individual time trial (kind of rare in ASO these days, not counting Unipublic) of regular length (another rarity) to give the time trial specialists something to fight for and more TT astute GC competitors chance to get back any time loss on stage 2 MTF or get a crack at yellow and get a nice time buffer for upcoming days. The stage placement is important as it shouldn't mess up any of the upcoming hard alpine stages.

Start:
Stage will start in Villefontaine on Rue Katia B close to Supermarché Casino. I don't know if Villefontaine was ever hosting a stage for Dauphine. Propably was never hosting in Tour. I doubt if this town will ever have a stage in either of those races in real life, but there is some asphalted space to try and have a medium sized race. Interest in having eventual stage is an issue there as is money. In Villefontaine the race will folow: Rue Katia B – Rond-Point de Gremda – Avenue Steve Biko – Avenue Georges Bizet to D36 Villefontaine – Vienne road.
ITCOZOD.jpg

Climbs:
This stage has technically three climbs that on a regular road stage could be categorised as cat. 4, but because they're not big then i didn't bother to count them in this TT.

Côte du Muscadin (276m). It's 1,1km at 4,8%. Two-stepped hill with a small let-off in the middle with maximum slopes in between 6-7%. Nothing hard, mostly a small interruption in the pace.

Montée de Malissol (292m). First hill of the last 10kms section. It's 2km at 4,9%. It's almost immedialtely followed by another hill – Côte de la Rente. Quite regular with the base being the steepest one with presence of small serpentines. Maximum slope at around 8%.

Côte de la Rente (395m). It's the hardest hill of today with 2,2km at 5,5%. It's quite similar to Montée de Malissol with the base being the steepest with max slope at around 8% to then slightly let go towards the summit. After this hill there is no immediate descend as there is a 1,5km long plateau before descend to the finish line. Together with Montée de Malissol it's 5km at 4% (borderline cat. 4/3).

Time checks:
On the course today there will be two time checks situated at around 1/3 and 2/3 of the stage. First time check is located after 12kms in Diémoz-Lafayette on D36 before Rond-Point de Petrier (intersection with D518 Lyon – La Côte-Saint-André road). Second time check is located after 27km in a small village of Remoulon before the town of Pont-Évêque on D75.

Finish:
Finish line will be placed in Vienne on Cours Marc-Antoine Brillier at the end of 75m straight line. Vienne hosted Dauphine and maybe even Tour stages before. Last time in Dauphine 2008 stage 2. Because it was a regular road stage then finish place was more restricted than today. It was supposedly on Boulevard Georges Pompidou, close to Jardin de Ville. We are ending close to Jardin de Ville too but this time east of it. I've choosen Cours Marc-Antoine Brillier over Boulevard Georges Pompidou because the latter is a nationale N7 and I don't want to interupt any traffic there, it could end up being too costly (money) for me and the race itself. Thanks to this stage being a time trial i don't need any long straights before finish line.
j7LFyJu.jpg

Roads:
In this stage the roads are mostly straight and technically unchalenging with bigger presence of twists only in last 10km with last 3km being propably the most challenging. Practically all of the roads are two-lane and in good quality. This stage uses quite an amount of red (important) roads: D36, D75 and in small portion D41. Only around 15km aren't on red roads. Comunication between Vienne and Villefontaine might be an issue, but roads through Solaize (D419) and Bourgoin-Jallieu (D502) are opened.

The roads change in last 10kms. They're still wide and in fine quality, but because the terrain is more undulating and are on the outskirts of Vienne the roads are twistier – more technically challenging than before. There are rond-points, some small road islands and even small serpentines. The hardest technically are last 3kms – descend from Montée de Coupe-Jarret to the finish line.

Montée de Coupe-Jarret (382m). 3km at 7,3%. I mention this quite massive hill (maybe even cat. 2) because today riders will descend from it and it ends basically on the finish line. This descend is very technical with a lot of small tricky bends and three very tight serpentines – first two 1km (left, then right) and third one 400m (left) before the finish line.
vvr2K7y.jpg

Most of those smaller bends are qute loose and more adventurous riders might try to cut them to not lose their speed. Technically the road is two-lane on a good surface but the width is slightly inconsistent with the road being sometimes almost two-lane.

Possible outcome:
As an example of possibilities I've decided to use the last time trial of Tour 2011 around Grenoble. It was similiar length but slightly flatter and slightly more twisty. Back then it was a mix between TT specialists and GC competitors with some TT pedigree (Contador and Evans, aren't pure TT specialists by no means, but they know how to ride a TT). 10th Taaramae (remember rooting for his shot at white that year) lost 2:03 to Tony Martin, who won the stage only 7sec off Evans and 1:06 off Contador.
nkOIMfX.gif

This stage i think should be won by a time trialist, maybe with some technicall skills for last 10km. Better TTs among GC contenders can (and propably will) end up in top 10. Climbers can lose up to 2:00 or 2:30 unless somebody is Landa. If this time trial is enough for more TT capable GC contenders to make up for any lost time depends on how last two stages were driven. I still think that the favourite to win this whole race is mostly a climbing specialist.

Geography:
Start of the stage – Villefontaine is located in Les Terres Froides by the Bourbre river in the historic region of Bas-Dauphiné. The city is located between two lakes – Étang de Saint-Bennet to the east and Étang de Fallavier to the west. The stage then goes west into Les Balmes Viennoises and Vienne located in Val du Rhône by the Rhône river.

Les Terres Froides – hilly (stage 2) region mainly around Bourgoin-Jallieu, stretching from Lyon outskirst to the base of Chartreuse massif. It's known to have quite harsh climate in winter because the area is builded mainly by clay that has a feature of being slow to warm up while the terrains surrounding this region are mainly builded by easier to warm up moraine sands (or sth like that, i dunno anything about geology).

Les Balmes Viennoises – hills outside of Vienne, on the east bank of Rhône river. They are formed by a base of molasse (Miocene) topped by a layer of puddingstone (Pleistocene). Highest hills reach around 415m a.s.l. (Le Télégraphe, 413m, just around 3km south of Montée de Coupe-Jarret).

Tourist attractions:
Villefontaine (start) – Pavillon des Quatres Vents
IGSGn14.jpg

Bonnefamille (7km) – Château de Moidière
YAbF0v0.jpg

Diémoz (9,5km) – Château Piellat, Église Saint-Roch
KLviXjh.jpg

Saint-Just-Chaleyssin (16km) – Église Saint-Pierre, Château de Saint-Just

Vienne (finish) – just too many things: Notre Dame de Pipet, Théâtre antique de Vienne, Jardin de Ville etc. Propably one of the more beautiful "smaller" cities in France.
mqcMTE8.jpg

hk41Dwh.jpg

Thankfully this weekend will be free, but i must end this project no later than Sunday, so maybe tomorrow or in some other day i will post two stages in one day.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Breh said:
Bavarianrider said:
Actually i don't know if it is inredibly amazing or incredibly sad that all of you are creating routes that are a zillion time better than the garbage the real organizers are offering to us. :confused: :eek:

I suppose real organizers have alot more stuff to take into comparison.
Yeah, we don't try as hard as they do to avoid hard climbs ;)
:D
Jokes aside, a few small races like the Österreich Rundfahrt are just trying to survive, they constantly have to deal with financial problems and they have no real tv coverage (ok, we got some highlights on tv), so it's no surprise that they have to take every offer that they can get, if Kitzbühel is willing to pay to have a MTF on the Kitzbüheler Horn every single year they get it, they're really having a hard time finding sponsors and cities that are willing to host a stage finish (with Tirol being the exception).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Stage 4: Mattersburg - Graz; 184km
stage41.png

stage42.png

Stage 4 once again starts in Mattersburg, so the riders will have another day without a long transfer, they should appreciate that.
After 2.4km the first climb of the day already starts, Rosalienhäuser, 10.3km at 4.3% with a few 10% steep ramps in the middle of the climb, it should be a nice warm-up and we should get a decent breakaway.
After the descent we have about 29km of false flat, then the first cat. 1 climb of the race starts.
It's Feistritzsattel, 11.3km at 5.8% with a max. gradient of 11.4%.
2010-07-19%20Urlaub%203311a1000%20Feistritzsattel%201286m.JPG

FeistritzN.gif

the descent is mostly false flat, about 48km after Feistritzsattel the first short ramp of the Strassegg climb, the climb to Birkfeld starts, after a short descent we have about 10km that are mostly false flat before the actual Strassegg climb starts, 5.4km at 6.1% with a max. gradient of 12.9%.
2008-07-14%20Urlaub%20%203141%20Pass%20Strassegg%201170%20m.JPG

2010-07-20%20Urlaub%204015%20Strassegg%201170m.jpg

The whole climb including the first ramp:
StrasseggE.gif

Right after the descent the next hard climb starts.
It's Teichalm, 6.4km at 8.4% with a max. gradient of 13.9%.
Teichalm is probably the largest alpine pasture in the whole area.
motorradtour-sommeralm-kehre.jpg

It's this climb from Strassegg owards:
TeichalmN.gif

I couldn't gather a lot of facts about the following descent, but it shouldn't be too technical and the final 2.5km are more of a false flat.
After the descent the final climb of the day starts, Schöcklkreuz, 9.7km at 5.4% with a max. gradient of 15.4%, it's a rather irregular climb with steep sections that are followed by sections of false flat, probably not the greatest climb to distance your rivals.
SchocklkreuzN.gif

The first part of the following descent is rather technical, but the final 12.5km of the stage are false flat.
The stage finishes in Graz, the capital of Styria and second-largest city in Austria. Graz has about 270,000 inhabitants and nearly 50, 000 of those are university students, it has a reputation of being an university town, even if the six universities in Graz are a bit overrated and nothing special.
Sadly I know a decent amount of pretentious hipsters that study in Graz, so I'm not the biggest fan of the town, but it's a stunning City, I'm just a hater. ;)
Graz:
Graz_136535877292413.jpg

graz_altstadt_dom_und_mausoleum_ferdinands_ii._1614-1638_original.jpg

This one should go to the breakaway, maybe the gc contenders will test eachother a little bit on the climb, but with the next stage being the only MTF finish of the race they'll try to save some energy for that stage, maybe if someone has a bad day after the ITT the other contenders will attack, but otherwise we shouldn't see too much gc action.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Graz has about 270,000 inhabitants and nearly 50, 000 of those are university students, it has a reputation of being an university town, even if the six universities in Graz are a bit overrated and nothing special.
Sadly I know a decent amount of pretentious hipsters that study in Graz, so I'm not the biggest fan of the town, but it's a stunning City, I'm just a hater. ;)
To be fair, if you have the choice if you want to study in Vienna or in Graz hardly anyone would choose the capital.

Whatever, I decided to not finish my Österreichrundfahrt, which I started months ago, because there is only one stage left and I'm neither motivated to create it nor do I want to write long write ups right now. However today I started to design a new race which I will maybe post in a few weeks and I have the bad feeling that some stages might be similar to stages in Austria which will be posted in the next days :(
Nevertheless, I still enjoy all races which are posted here right now, because while I don't want to write a lot myself I'm in the perfect mood for reading a lot :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Mayomaniac said:
Graz has about 270,000 inhabitants and nearly 50, 000 of those are university students, it has a reputation of being an university town, even if the six universities in Graz are a bit overrated and nothing special.
To be fair, if you have the choice if you want to study in Vienna or in Graz hardly anyone would choose the capital.

Whatever, I decided to not finish my Österreichrundfahrt, which I started months ago, because there is only one stage left and I'm neither motivated to create it nor do I want to write long write ups right now. However today I started to design a new race which I will maybe post in a few weeks and I have the bad feeling that some stages might be similar to stages in Austria which will be posted in the next days :(
Nevertheless, I still enjoy all races which are posted here right now, because while I don't want to write a lot myself I'm in the perfect mood for reading a lot :D
I'm going to be moving to Vienna in September, but I kinda have to, it's the only town in Austria (or Southern Germany for that matter) where I can further pursue my studies.
I'm not a huge fan of Vienna, too flat, too much fog and a little bit too big for my taste, but it's one of the few places where I can further pursue my studies...

I love Vienna, I've been there just once and I adored it. The regal avenues, the nachsmarket, the museuems, the heritage, the park, how clean it is, the restaurants, the cafes. Twas amazing, must say. Don't know how it is to live there, but as a tourist it was very nice. One of my favourite cities in the world.

I've also only been in the summer, so fog wasn't an issue.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
I love Vienna, I've been there just once and I adored it. The regal avenues, the nachsmarket, the museuems, the heritage, the park, how clean it is, the restaurants, the cafes. Twas amazing, must say. Don't know how it is to live there, but as a tourist it was very nice. One of my favourite cities in the world.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great city and I've got a few friends there, but no hiking, Ski mountaineering and riding my bike in the montains on the weekends will suck, I just love spending my free time in the mountains.

Mayomaniac said:
Brullnux said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great city and I've got a few friends there, but no hiking, Ski mountaineering and riding my bike in the montains on the weekends will suck, I just love spending my free time in the mountains.

I can imagine, a South Tyrolean deserves their mountains ;)

Obviously from a Milanese perspective then it's just an improved version on Milan. From my English perspective also. Except there a couple of hills around where I live, nowhere near the amount of stunning ones in Tyrol.

Stage 5: Villach - Ramsau (Dachstein), 201km

2iglrwj.png

faoajd.png

GPM:
Glanzberg (cat.3) 3,9km @ 7,1%
Turracher Höhe (cat.1) 6,9km @ 10,0%
Sölkpass (HC) 13,4km @ 6,8%
Hochwurzen-Gasthof Winterer (cat.2) 5,5km @ 8,4%
Dachsteinstraße (cat.1) 14,5km @ 6,3%

The hardest mountaintop finish of the Österreichrundfahrt comes on this, the 5th stage. It's not the most conducive MTF to big gaps, but there have been incentives to action placed in the stage to try to ensure some movement from the GC-relevant guys. After all, the race so far shouldn't have given them much time off!

files-AusflugszieleVillachStadtvillachoesterreichLarge.jpg

The city of Villach, one of the largest in Kärnten, is an important transport hub that links Austria with Slovenia and Croatia and also north east Italy; lines across Europe including Frankfurt - Zagreb make their main Austrian stops in Salzburg and Villach. It's also been quite keen to host the Österreichrundfahrt in recent years, with MTFs at Dobratsch, the Villacher Hausberg, the last two years. It also used to host the Ski Jumping World Cup at the Villacher Alpenarena, with comparatively small-sized hills which have since become better known on the Continental Cup and in the women's competitions. So yes, it's another day of linking wintersport venues... on a tour which doesn't include regular haunt and legendary Alpine venue Kitzbühel ;)

The first part of the stage is pretty straightforward, flat and rolling northwards, parallel to yesterday's stage, as far as Feldkirchen, at which point climbing begins. The first ascent of the day is just a short cat.3 burst, but it's soon followed by a much sterner test, the steep ascent of Turracher Höhe. This scenic skiing village is at the edge of a mountain lake, but though the climb's only 7km long, it's agony to get there, with a steepest kilometre over 12% and a max gradient in excess of 20%.

vom-berg-aufgenommen.jpg

Turracherhohe1.gif

Much like another more scenic Alpine climb with a lake at the summit, there's a short plateau and then a descent notably easier in gradient than the climb (in case you're wondering, you're a fool, because it's obvious that's a Fedaia (Fedaia!) reference). Downhill false flat takes us into Predlitz, and then there's a fair distance of flat before our next climb, the final HC of the race (and a debatable one at that) - the glorious vistas of Sölkpass.

Loserstrasse.jpg

26_Soelkpass.png

This two-stepped pass crests with 76km remaining of this, the longest stage. Therefore I don't expect big moves here. However, the way it ramps up straightaway with gradients of up to 11% before flattening out, then gradually turning up the wick to a final 4km at nearly 12% average tells the story: this is going to be painful. After the summit there's a very steep and technical first few kilometres before it eases off for another long recuperation period leading into the town of Schladming, a famous Alpine skiing town which hosts the World Cup most years on the legendary slopes of Planai.

planai-fastenberg-aus-der-luft.jpg

Here, it serves as the commencement for our double-whammy of finishing climbs, with one half-sized climb before the finale, a bit like Cordal-Angliru, Fito-Covadonga or Marie Blanque-Aubisque I guess, but where the second climb is itself two-stepped, so it's a bit strange. First up is a cat.2 climb which corresponds to the first half of this profile - the section from Gasthof Winterer to Hochwurzen is on sterrato and offers too little space for a mountaintop finish along with no options to use it as a pass; it also hasn't hosted any wintersport World Cups that I know of. Anyway, as you can see, this is mostly at 9% with only a brief respite. Very similar to Cordal, in fact. There's only 24km remaining at the summit, though after the rolling interlude and steep descent, I expect the heads of state to all be together and to duke it out on the final climb.

dachstein-skywalk-4-.jpeg

With its crazy "sky walk", the Dachsteingletscher is a mighty glacier above the town of Ramsau, which despite being on a respite halfway up the final climb of the day has been given an intermediate sprint, in order to try to encourage the heads of state to take back the breakaway on the steep first few kilometres of the climb (3km @ 11%!), with bonus seconds available, to then try to ensure action in the final few kilometres when the climb ramps up again - and my goodness does it ramp up again, swiftly bludgeoning the riders with a Joaquím Rodríguez-esque kilometre averaging a little over 12%.

DachsteinS.gif

Although there is a ski resort on the Dachsteingletscher, Ramsau am Dachstein would probably be the ones to pay for the stage finish. But then, that resort does provide them with plenty of money and attention, so it's not a problem. Ramsau annually hosts the Nordic Combined World Cup and has also played host to a range of other wintersports at a high level. Due to the high altitude of the glacier, bedecked with both Alpine pistes and Nordic Loipen, and proximity to a well-known jumping hill, it becomes available for skiing much earlier than much of the Alps and as a result is a favourite training place for competitors in all of the major skiing disciplines; you could argue that for Nordic skiers especially, Ramsau am Dachstein is the equivalent to Sierra Nevada or even Teide; not necessarily legendary for its legacy in professional racing, simply because of its availability it is an area known to pretty much every skier. Here, we learn about it in professional cycling; and the heads of state should be ready to break all their helpers right from that 3km @ 11% at the base, so that when they attack on the 12% bit with 5km to go, all hell will break loose. After all, there are time gaps to make up.

167360_skigebiet_ramsau-dachstein.jpeg

w52

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Tour de France

Stage 16: Foix - Saint Lary-Soulan (205.1km)

et16_205_1.png

et16.png

After a MTF in Aix-3-Domaines, we have the queen stage of the Pyrenees. Stage 16 will link Foix and Saint Lary-Soulan, in a long route (over 200km) full of mountain difficulties (6 in the total). This stage is the last before the secound rest day, so attacks are expected.
The stage starts in Foix, a classic place in the TdF.

foix.jpg

Difficulties start early in the race, since that in km 24.4 riders will reach the top of the first ascent of the day, Col de Pegueres, from La Mouline which is a cat.1 climb and will make the first damage in the riders legs

1368.gif

After the top of Pegueres there is a long descent followed by a flatish terrain of +/- 50km. This period ends with the Portet d'Aspet/Col de Mente combo. Both climbs are very well known and usually used in the TdF. The first a cat.2 and the secound one a cat.1 climb not very long but with steep gradients.

233.gif

pmente.gif

After this combo the is a long and tecnhical descent, followed by a short flat section that will bring the peloton to the last 70km of stage and also to last 3 climbs combo that will decide the stage winner and maybe the GC. The first climb is the hardest one, the Port de Bales a HC climb.

Bales.png

Right after the Port de Bales there is a short descent followed by the ascent to the Peyresourde

12_peyresourde.jpg

Another descent and we reach the last climb of tha day in Val Louron-Azet.

Col-de-Val-Louron-Azet-3.png

The last 2 climbs are not long but they are very steep, inviting to long range attacks. Someone who wants to create decisive gaps have to attack in this combo because the final km's are in descent to Saint Lary-Soulan. After this stage are still two more opportunities to gain some time (one of them is the final ITT) but the differences created here can finish the discussion of the GC.

Saint Lary-Soulan
280px-Village_de_Saint-Lary-Soulan.JPG

I haven't taken the time to praise Guybrush's idea of multiple short stage races in Argentine provinces yet; as you may have guessed from my short Tierra del Fuego stage race, Vuelta a Argentina and two goes at a Vuelta a Bariloche, I like the idea of more racing there...

Back in the Alps, however...

Stage 6: Schladming (Planai) - Tauplitz (Kulm), 47,4km (EZF)

15yg2ee.png

2yljwgo.png

It is comparatively rare to see such a long ITT as this in a one week race. To be fair, it's actually, and worryingly, becoming comparatively rare to see such as long ITT as this in a Grand Tour, too... in one week races there are few. The 2012 Dauphiné had a 53km ITT in the Summer of Wiggins, and there was a 49km one in 2010 when Janez Brajkovič won, defending against Contador on the Alpe. Typically they tend to be around the 40-45km length, though there have been years like 2008 and 2013 when the TT distance has dropped to a little over 30km. The Tour de Suisse tends to go for somewhere in the 30s; even the appalling 2009 route only had a 39km final ITT. The Deutschlandtour typically went for 35-40km as well.

So why an ITT of this distance? Two reasons, really.
1) we can estimate timegaps based on the 45-50km TTs from the Dauphiné, and it will help neutralise some of the chaos that may have erupted from the GC in the series race on day one. Given that there have been some truly brutal mountains thus far with the Seefeld stage in particular encouraging hard racing, and given that the toughest climbs are over and done with now, riders without strong TT legs will need to maximise the time they take on the mountain stages; they will also therefore need to take risks on the stages immediately preceding the time trial and potentially pay in it. If they soft pedal and find themselves with a large deficit, they will need to make maximum effort in the stages to come.
2) because these two places I wanted to use are that distance apart.

stadt-schladming.jpg

The town of Schladming is, like so many in Austria, fabled for its skiing. Of particular note is the legendary Planai slope, which was referred to in my previous stage; hosting the Alpine Skiing World Championships in 1982 and 2013, it is also a near-annual stop off on the World Cup, often with a spectacular slalom taking place at night.

ski_wm_nachtbewerb_2_fans_body_g.2171937.jpg

It's also directly around the corner from Ramsau, yesterday's stage town, and with enough amenities to host the Alpine Ski World Cup, so it should be plenty big enough for the Österreichrundfahrt and comes with very little in the way of transfer. The actual details of the time trial are limited; it's a very fast and flat stage through the valley floor for the first 3/4 of its distance; it should benefit the specialists. This changes after 36km when we pass through the town of Irdning, the most distant visible here:

gumpenstein_irdning_forschung.jpg

At this point we turn left and the road turns upward. It's not a hard climb by any stretch of the imagination - around 6km at 3,5% in inconsistent rises - so it shouldn't prevent this being a pure specialists' race; this takes us to our finish, which is another iconic wintersports venue, the Kulm ski flying hill, one of only five active in the world (the others being Planica, Vikersund, Harrachov and the Heini-Klopfer-Schanze at Oberstdorf (there is a sixth, Copper Peak, in the US, but unused in many years). The Ski Flying World Championships actually took place over the last couple of days there. The hill sits between Tauplitz and Bad Mitterndorf and is known by either name, although the former is typically more common.

kulm_1.jpg

I was tempted to make the riders climb it in tribute to the infamous 1987 Peace Race ITT in Harrachov, but I didn't want to make the Austrians tarmac it, or give the climbers too much scope to win time back in case they soft-pedal earlier stages!!!