• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Enjoyed the course. Saw someone during the week saying that it was something like Beringen but if it's like Beringen, it's the way Beringen should be instead of that racing on rails kind of course.

Just think that, apart from the scenery, it misses some distinctive feature like Gieten had with the shoreline, Zonhoven has with the sand pit, Namen with the offcamber, etc.

I would like to see this course closer to the christmas period, I think it can be quite difficult with more muddy conditions.
And going by that mirrored building is very confusing, more often than not thought that someone was coming on the other side.

Yes it's funny that the two riders I've heard making comments about the course being bad/unsafe were the two that had issues. One as he reached the limit of his abilities (which is a very very very high limit) and the other one due to equipment set up one way in one way or another. While apparently Jens Dekker saw a decent amount of punctures on the course preride that is when riders will be testing pressures and tyres so they can see that if they ran it lower and flatter the need to go higher and change the tactic. I didn't see any punctures in the womens race only Van Der Haar, Sweeck, another crelan rider (I think), and maybe Nieuwenhuis (judging by the way he quickly dropped away from Kuhn) in the men's race.

Enjoyed the course. Saw someone during the week saying that it was something like Beringen but if it's like Beringen, it's the way Beringen should be instead of that racing on rails kind of course.

Just think that, apart from the scenery, it misses some distinctive feature like Gieten had with the shoreline, Zonhoven has with the sand pit, Namen with the offcamber, etc.

I would like to see this course closer to the christmas period, I think it can be quite difficult with more muddy conditions.
And going by that mirrored building is very confusing, more often than not thought that someone was coming on the other side.
I enjoyed watching the women’s race yesterday and thought it was an interesting course. But am I right in thinking this course was missing places that power riders (other than flat-out on the flats) could take advantage of? I have watched way more local cross races in person that I’ve watched televised European cross. Sseveral of the local race venues here (Pacific NW)have longer climbs, much longer run-up sections, and much longer sand pits where a more powerful riders take some advantage.
Regardless it was still entertaining to watch, and different courses highlight different rider capabilities.

Yes it's funny that the two riders I've heard making comments about the course being bad/unsafe were the two that had issues. One as he reached the limit of his abilities (which is a very very very high limit) and the other one due to equipment set up one way in one way or another. While apparently Jens Dekker saw a decent amount of punctures on the course preride that is when riders will be testing pressures and tyres so they can see that if they ran it lower and flatter the need to go higher and change the tactic. I didn't see any punctures in the womens race only Van Der Haar, Sweeck, another crelan rider (I think), and maybe Nieuwenhuis (judging by the way he quickly dropped away from Kuhn) in the men's race.
You were right, Nieuwenhuis had a front flat.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
I enjoyed watching the women’s race yesterday and thought it was an interesting course. But am I right in thinking this course was missing places that power riders (other than flat-out on the flats) could take advantage of? I have watched way more local cross races in person that I’ve watched televised European cross. Sseveral of the local race venues here (Pacific NW)have longer climbs, much longer run-up sections, and much longer sand pits where a more powerful riders take some advantage.
Regardless it was still entertaining to watch, and different courses highlight different rider capabilities.
The Pacific Northwest is a big region, but the courses around SEA are definitely the exception, not the norm in my experience.

Reactions: Sciatic
So, Ferrand Prevot is back tomorrow at the Koppenbergcross. I'm surprised to see quite a few riders from America and Canada on the start list considering the Panam champs are on friday(?!?).

Van Empel is also confirmed to be stepping up to Elite for the Europeans. At the current look i'd say she won't do a Vas, but who knows.

Corne van Kessel is also back training in the woods and is listed under the dutch selection for the Euros as is Brand, but that could change in Brand's case.

Reactions: jmdirt
It's interesting you mention Vas; as I think it was a mistake at the time to move to the Elites, after winning Overijse. She was obviously in super form after the Road Worlds, and then never got that form back. However, she's probably now looking to be a consistent Elite rider after two good World Cup results.

I don't think Van Empel had any decision to make; she's been the season's best rider, and Brand is doubtful; an Elite title is very likely.

It will be interesting to see where PFP is with her form; has she still got her climbing legs from Les Gets? If so, both courses will suit her, and Namur is almost like a MTB course. I dare say she'll use these races to gauge everybody else's form. She did that back in the summer.

Thanks, interesting. I guess I should have said Washington, but I sometimes avoid that because so many folks immediately think “Washington D.C.”. Are the courses in the Portland area that different from the ones around Puget Sound?
In my experience, yes. When I was racing Dale Knapp had input on all of the Washington races west of the Cascades., while the Oregon racing had a much different 'style' than a DK course.

The Seatac course wasn't a typical DK course, but it was hard and frequently really wet due to being in a low spot (water collection). I remember one section that was often so full of water that on your downstroke your foot was under water.

Reactions: Sciatic
Clipboard.png

The boy has arrived. Of course a depleted field compared to the World Cups, but a very strong result from AJ nonetheless. Putting a minute into Akers and Jezek is great.
Arrived 3 months late judging by his surname!;)

Obviously as you say it wasnt a full field at the front, but still the first Belgian was 5th and only 3 of them in the top 10 and 5 in the top 20!

Reactions: jmdirt

Latest posts