• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some of the young Canadians will race at Rochester this weekend, including Ian Ackert, and double World champion Isabella Holmgren. And her team has announced she will do the full CX season with them - so no mid season transfer to Trek.
With Nuss and Mani's cx form perhaps a bit dulled from a summer of riding gravel, a good chance for Holmgren to snag an elite podium (potentially her first?) As is often the case with junior champions, she's aged out so will never actually get to race in the rainbow bands.

Reactions: postmanhat
Bastaens back on top on day 1 in the men's race, Rochette stays on top on in the women's race. Holmgren doesn't make the podium but edges out Nuss for 4th.

Between the women's elite and junior races, 6 of the top 10 positions were taken by Canadians (1 France, 3 USA).

Will be interesting to see what Clara Honsinger does now
A return S&M for the 2023/24 CX season.....

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
A return S&M for the 2023/24 CX season.....

Wow. Thanks for posting that. I can’t tell from reading that if S&M will be riding European races or just domestic?

Van Anrooij cutting back on the number of CX races this winter; was always likely to happen - and I suspect Nys eventually will do the same.

No Holmgren for Charm City CX, who seemed the only likely obstacle to another Rochette procession. Is she at Snowshoe for the XCO? Can't seem to find a start list. The drama on the men's side, as ever, is which American, if any, can upset an all Euro podium.

Last edited:

Van Anrooij cutting back on the number of CX races this winter; was always likely to happen - and I suspect Nys eventually will do the same.
It's actually not that dramatic, she says she'll do 15 cross races, compared to 19 last season.

Alpecin, Fenix , 777, Corendon et al are all teams owned by the Roodhoft brothers.
Think they just spread the talent around to keep all the sponsors happy.
Traditionally since Canyon started sponsoring Alpecin Fenix/Corendon Circus, the other teams all rode Stevens. Crelan Corendon and Cyclocross Reds (formally 777) are on Stevens so I think Puck is still with Alpecin Deceuninck but as she's reducing her cross race schedule, she hasn't been included. Although van der Poel is included and I'd assume he won't be doing a full season, or will he....

In other news, the first Belgian CX of the year is tomorrow with most of the names one would expect on the start list. Van Anrooij and van Empel are starting their season from the beginning although van Anrooij will take a break after the Trek race is what I've seen.

Nieuwenhuis and Haverdings from Baloise Trek are taking an extra weekend in the US and joining Ferdinande, Bastaens and Roullier out there in Indianapolis today and tomorrow.

The National Trophy in the UK seems to be having a livestream this year on youtube, or at least the first round. But it is a new YouTube channel, so may end up being something like the CX version of Monument HQ is for the national road series. In the recent past, the only UK CX I've seen broadcast is the Abergavenny round on S4C and then the National Champs.

Traditionally since Canyon started sponsoring Alpecin Fenix/Corendon Circus, the other teams all rode Stevens. Crelan Corendon and Cyclocross Reds (formally 777) are on Stevens so I think Puck is still with Alpecin Deceuninck but as she's reducing her cross race schedule, she hasn't been included. Although van der Poel is included and I'd assume he won't be doing a full season, or will he....

She wasn't originally on the list of registered names on the UCI website - so it's possible she won't be doing a full season to prepare for Paris 2024. On her instagram you do see her often in the Fenix jersey, so that is possible.

Reactions: postmanhat
In other news, the first Belgian CX of the year is tomorrow with most of the names one would expect on the start list. Van Anrooij and van Empel are starting their season from the beginning although van Anrooij will take a break after the Trek race is what I've seen.
I see that Beringen have changed the course in preparation for the Belgian Nationals in a few years - as they didn't want a climbing cross. Really??? WTF
What is the problem with climbing? I just don't get it......