Race Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haven't checked recently, but in 2013, only 2 pros had faster lap times than van Aert in the u23 s. Nys and Stybar. But Thibau is only junior now.
I compared the lap times at the World Championships in Bogense last year for the Junior Men, U23 Men and Elite Men. The junior men were approximately 5% slower than the elite men (MVDP) with average lap times of 06:04 (7 laps) compared to U23 05:58 (8 laps) and Elite 05:47 (12 laps). Just taking average lap times on the winner (Ben Turner) in junior men he would place 24 in Elite men but in reality probably significantly further behind since 5 more laps would make a large difference.

The juniors I train with can often ride really difficult sections due to their lower weight, particularly uphill sand sections.

Still, TNys looks already like something extra. It would be fun to know just how fast he is compared to the U23 and Elite men. Last year at Bogense I remember that they talked about how close the U23 (Pidcock/Iserbyt) lap times were to the Elite. Major difference was the consistency and number of intense efforts that Elite men could produce. Since conditions didn’t change all too much between the days Junior men times could possibly be compared...
I think the thing with riders like Pidcock and Iserbyt is the superprestige u23 had been combined with the elite last year so they had a season or two to ride and take blows out of each other on their own, and then they were thrown into battles with the worlds best and had to up their game. From this it's also easy to see why the lap times weren't far off. Plus with the U23 worlds, the race being around 50min they ride for less time so can go harder for longer as they don't have to save a bit more for that extra 10-15min or and elite WC.

Something for the duo of Pidcock and Iserbyt that Helen Wyman has been saying on Redbull and GCN is that they are smaller and therefore have a lower centre of gravity. Thus meaning they can push round tight slippery corners harder as there weight is lower than someone like Van der Poel or Aerts, who may even have to go on a slightly wider line with more grass to get the same grip but lose a meter or two to the rider in front just to go at the same speed or higher. Just something until she had mentioned about it in commentary i'd never really thought about.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Was out for a ride on my bike this afternoon and was checking how I did on some segmenys and I noticed on one segment a climb of nearly 3k at 2% that the fastest time was a female by some distance, I looked into it and its by Anna Kay who won the Bronze at the worlds U23 and lives only a few miles from me,

Feb 20, 2019
Simply the best Cyclocross rider after Mathieu and the only one able to challenge him on a good day. Those two are in a league of their own, then comes the rest. Multitalented beasts. Respect Wout.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Despite the riders being on the limit, the pace seemed to be a bit slower than with Van Der Poel. I think partly because the sand was quite loose and the ruts weren't holding the wheels well, but also because VDP wasn't pushing the pace.

Despite the riders being on the limit, the pace seemed to be a bit slower than with Van Der Poel. I think partly because the sand was quite loose and the ruts weren't holding the wheels well, but also because VDP wasn't pushing the pace.
I don't know how Mathieu being a minute up the road, would otherwise push the other rider's pace? That shouldn't matter unless they'd be in danger of getting lapped. I think it's just end of season, these guys aren't Mathieu (or Wout) and are knackered.

I did think it was interesting to see Pidcock suddenly slip back into mediocrity though, less than a week after the WC.

Nov 13, 2019
I did think it was interesting to see Pidcock suddenly slip back into mediocrity though, less than a week after the WC.
[/QUOTE]

Check out the Trinity Racing update - he was saving his legs for the race that was cancelled yesterday - which I can well believe. I noticed that during the race on Saturday he was dropping off the back of the group contesting 3rd but finished in amongst them apart from Aerts and Sweeck.

ASK THE COMMUNITY