• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack powerhouse

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
ahhhhh can't edit on my iPhone. Anyway Hincapie was the mastro. When Horner was signed with Astana he magically "rephrased" his words and not spoke of it since.

I'll find the link.....

I always wondered about the dramatic Euro performances of Vandevelde, as well. He never had domestic credentials to back up that kind of evolution. It's safe to say Horner was able to rely on his own resources to get back to Eurotown and probably still does.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
It was a velonews interview for those who will link before me...

This isn't the link you want, but to an interview a few months later when he just signed with Astana and they quoted part of what he said earlier. I ran the quote through Google and couldn't find the original.
VN: You have been one of the top American racers for the past10 years, and yet you never signed with U.S. Postal Service or DiscoveryChannel. Now, in the first year that Johan Bruyneel is not working on ateam with Lance Armstrong, he’s signed you. What should we gather fromthat?

CH: Without a doubt, one has to wonder what may or may have nothappened there. It’s pretty clear to me, without knowing for sure, thatit was never Johan Bruyneel holding me off the team when it was Postalor Discovery. I’m pretty sure it was never Johan Bruyneel holding me offthat team, but you’d have to go and ask Lance himself. Maybe they alreadyhad so many good riders, and they didn’t know me that well. It seemed tome that Johan Bruyneel is a good director, and he knows I’m a good rider,so if you put two and two together… Of course that is not fact, just opinion.At the end of the day, Lance had the team that he wanted around him, andfor whatever reason I wasn’t part of that.

VN: Just a few months ago you were fairly outspoken about Armstrongand his previous Tour teams, saying, “You can’t have a leader’s team gettingto the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from threeyears back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with yourwhole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on thefront — and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out…. I don’tbelieve it to be possible.”

Now you’re joining a team run by Johan Bruyneel, the director of a teamthat was doing things a few years ago that “didn’t seem possible.” Howwill you reconcile that?

CH: I think there has been a change in the sport in general.From everything I’ve seen, the speeds in the field versus the past, everythinghas changed. I believe the sport is becoming better and better, from theriders’ organizations to the UCI and WADA, everyone is doing everythingthey can to eliminate as much of the drug problem as possible. I don’thave any problem going to Astana. Sure, they had problems last year withtwo of their biggest riders, but the addition of Johan Bruyneel changedthe whole team completely to avoid those issues.

As far as the years past, well last year with Johan’s team you weren’tseeing five guys going over the last climb together. What may or may nothave happened in the past is completely different than what you’re seeingnow.

I honestly believe that every team is doing what they can to stop whatwas happening in the past. I know Johan was asking riders for their bloodresults from the past, to make sure he’s not getting riders who have beenat a 49 hematocrit for their whole career. I had to show him my past bloodresults, which he asked of everyone when he was looking into riders. Itwas the same with CSC. I also talked to Bjarne Riis, and when I was talkingto CSC he wanted to see all my blood results, what was happening in thepast. I think everyone wants to see this left behind and no longer an issue.I know the riders don’t want to see it; no one wants to see any more problems.The sport doesn’t need to live through another nine years like the lastnine years. But just look at Rabobank at the Tour — they threw out MichaelRasmussen. In years past I don’t know if a team would have done that. AndI’m pretty sure Johan Bruyneel isn’t going to put up with anyone just disappearing for a month.

Read more: http://velonews.competitor.com/2007...rsation-with-chris-horner_13695#ixzz0kuomQf5F

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Horners quote

This is 2007.
What's funny about CH's quote is that he insinuates that team doping during the Lance years was the reason that Postal/Discovery was so strong, but……..
in 2007, after LA was retired, Discovery was 1st and 3rd on GC and won the team competition. By far the best showing for any postal/discovery team. So Horner made no sense.
But I still love the guy and wish him well. He’s just wrong here.

A

Anonymous

kurtinsc said:
I'm guessing you also thought Wiggins should have stayed at Garmin and road as a GC contender at a leadout man salary.

The fact of the matter is that professional atheletes... are professionals. This is their job, and I really don't have a problem with them maneuvering for more money. They have a limited shelf life... they should do whatever is best for their career.

Oh no, for sure Wigans should have taken a team leader salary only to show everyone in July what a bad deal Sky made pretending he is a GC contender.

kurtinsc said:
Just a point on Horner... he's had very few opportunities to ride for himself outside of the US. While he's older... he's not that experienced at the top level of racing. He's only been on non-US only teams since 2005, and it's only been the last 3 years or so he's had any real ability to ride for himself rather then for others.

I can't remember any stage races where he was the leader other then this one and the Vuelta last year (where he crashed out early). Perhaps there were others I don't remember.

FYI for you regarding Horner: he rode as the undisputed team leader for several Domestic USA teams from around 1998 to 2005. During this entire time he was the most dominant rider on the Domestic USA NRC circuit and won a boatload of races.

During this entire time he also never won a single TT, also this was of course against the lower level of USA Domestic competition.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Joey_J said:
This is 2007.
What's funny about CH's quote is that he insinuates that team doping during the Lance years was the reason that Postal/Discovery was so strong, but……..
in 2007, after LA was retired, Discovery was 1st and 3rd on GC and won the team competition. By far the best showing for any postal/discovery team. So Horner made no sense.

Anyone remember the CN interview where CH pretty much said USP/Discovery were juiced to the roof? Can't find that from the CN archives anymore.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
FYI for you regarding Horner: he rode as the undisputed team leader for several Domestic USA teams from around 1998 to 2005. During this entire time he was the most dominant rider on the Domestic USA NRC circuit and won a boatload of races.

During this entire time he also never won a single TT, also this was of course against the lower level of USA Domestic competition.

He won a ITT in the Redlands Classic in 2002 and in the Pomona valley stage race and Redlands Classic (ahead of Zabriskie) in 2004. He also did finish 3rd in the Criterium International ITT in 2000, 3rd in a Redlands Classic ITT In 2001 (just behind Levi Leipheimer in 2nd place), 2nd in a Sea Otters Classic ITT in 2002 (behind Dave Zabriskie), 2nd in the US ITT championships in 2002, and 3rd in a Tour of Georgia ITT in 2004 (behind Lance and Jens Voigt).

So... I'm afraid the information you provided is not correct. He's been a very good time trialist over his entire career. Not dominant... but very good.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Joey_J said:
This is 2007.

Saying that the team was juiced to the Eyeballs while Lance was riding is a far shot from saying they stopped doping doping after he retired. Unless there's more to the quote than what's posted here it makes perfectly good sense. Perhaps the more interesting fact is that after Horner joins the team he implies was doped he makes dramatic performance gains at 38. To quote a great athlete "I don’t believe it to be possible""

Joey_J said:
This is 2007.

Actually what he says makes a ton of sense. In 2007 they didn't have their entire team controlling the race. If you recall Rabobank held the MJ until just a few days before the conclusion of the race. During Lance's reign, they had no other rider on podium and if I recall correctly only once or twice did they have more than one rider finish in the top 10 (I knew the specifics once, but don't have time to look it up). Guys would be do their work and then shut it down for the day. And the process would start over again the next day.

kurtinsc said:
He won a ITT in the Redlands Classic in 2002 and in the Pomona valley stage race and Redlands Classic (ahead of Zabriskie) in 2004. He also did finish 3rd in the Criterium International ITT in 2000, 3rd in a Redlands Classic ITT In 2001 (just behind Levi Leipheimer in 2nd place), 2nd in a Sea Otters Classic ITT in 2002 (behind Dave Zabriskie), 2nd in the US ITT championships in 2002, and 3rd in a Tour of Georgia ITT in 2004 (behind Lance and Jens Voigt).

So... I'm afraid the information you provided is not correct. He's been a very good time trialist over his entire career. Not dominant... but very good.

I know he's been quite good as you don't win all the stage races he did without being at least a solid TT'er but this win of his is on another level.

I concede that I was wrong about him never winning a TT but I wasn't too far off.

kurtinsc said:

Also: for some reason Zabriskie has been fairly sucky at TT'ing ever since his old room-mate and best buddy Floyd Landis got busted for drugs.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I know he's been quite good as you don't win all the stage races he did without being at least a solid TT'er but this win of his is on another level.

I concede that I was wrong about him never winning a TT but I wasn't too far off.

There aren't that many stage races in the US though.

Over the course of a season, a US domestic rider might have 5 attempts at ITT success. A huge part of the season is Crits and 1-days.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Also: for some reason Zabriskie has been fairly sucky at TT'ing ever since his old room-mate and best buddy Floyd Landis got busted for drugs.

Yeah... sucky.

Like beating Larson, Zirbel and Leipheimer in the Tour of Missouri TT last year. Or 10th in the Annecy TT in the Tour ahead of crappy TT riders like Cadel Evans and Tony Martin. Or like his 3rd in Castilla y Leon last year ahead of Menchov and Clement. Or his 3rd place finish at the World TT championship in 2008.

Yep... that's what I'd call a sucky TT rider.

kurtinsc said:
Yeah... sucky.

Like beating Larson, Zirbel and Leipheimer in the Tour of Missouri TT last year. Or 10th in the Annecy TT in the Tour ahead of crappy TT riders like Cadel Evans and Tony Martin. Or like his 3rd in Castilla y Leon last year ahead of Menchov and Clement. Or his 3rd place finish at the World TT championship in 2008.

Yep... that's what I'd call a sucky TT rider.

I don't argue with fanboys. If you think the above is equivalent to the Yellow Jersey and a Tour Prolouge win than you are truly a chamois-sniffer and to the ignore list you go.

BikeCentric said:
I don't argue with fanboys. If you think the above is equivalent to the Yellow Jersey and a Tour Prolouge win than you are truly a chamois-sniffer and to the ignore list you go.

Come on. Kurt was the guy who endlessly argued that Demand Media's own description of "significant" did not really mean significant. If Armstrong said the sky was green, he would be here arguing that the sky is green.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

First of all, you didn't say he decreased... you said he was "sucky". Can you honestly say he's a sucky time trialist right now?

Second, would I say 3rd place at Worlds is better then a TT win in the first stage at the Tour?

Uh... yes?

Wouldn't you?

And third... if posting results puts me on your ignore list, then I'm not sure what would keep anyone who disagrees with you on anything off of it.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Come on. Kurt was the guy who endlessly argued that Demand Media's own description of "significant" did not really mean significant. If Armstrong said the sky was green, he would be here arguing that the sky is green.

Well, I argued 20 million dollars is significant.

I guess you thought otherwise. I'm okay with that.

I've argued in favor of the LAF. I've been critical of Armstrong in the process... but I guess that wasn't clear enough for you.

LANCE IS A JERK. HE'S PAST HIS PRIME. HE HAS NO SHOT OF WINNING THE TOUR. HE HAS AN EGO THE SIZE OF HIS HOME STATE.

The LAF is still a good charity that does good things. Lance does deserve a little credit for that.

You have a very narrow definition of "fanboy".

Chris Horner-"I honestly believe that every team is doing what they can to stop what was happening in the past. I know Johan was asking riders for their blood results from the past, to make sure he’s not getting riders who have been at a 49 hematocrit for their whole career."

Was this before or after Bruyneel had signed Ivan Basso?

Chris Horner-"I had to show him my past blood results, which he asked of everyone when he was looking into riders. It was the same with CSC. I also talked to Bjarne Riis, and when I was talking to CSC he wanted to see all my blood results, what was happening in the past. I think everyone wants to see this left behind and no longer an issue."

He seems so sure of this, and yet...the type of racing he criticized US Postal/Discovery for was exactly the same way they rode in last year's Tour.

Chris Horner-"I know the riders don’t want to see it; no one wants to see any more problems.The sport doesn’t need to live through another nine years like the last nine years. But just look at Rabobank at the Tour — they threw out Michael Rasmussen. In years past I don’t know if a team would have done that. And I’m pretty sure Johan Bruyneel isn’t going to put up with anyone just disappearing for a month."

Unless the rider in question has a note from his doctor-Dr. Ferarri.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Chris Horner-"I honestly believe that every team is doing what they can to stop what was happening in the past. I know Johan was asking riders for their blood results from the past, to make sure he’s not getting riders who have been at a 49 hematocrit for their whole career."

Chris Horner-"I had to show him my past blood results, which he asked of everyone when he was looking into riders. It was the same with CSC. I also talked to Bjarne Riis, and when I was talking to CSC he wanted to see all my blood results, what was happening in the past. I think everyone wants to see this left behind and no longer an issue."

He seems so sure of this, and yet...the type of racing he criticized US Postal/Discovery for was exactly the same way they rode in last year's Tour.

Chris Horner-"I know the riders don’t want to see it; no one wants to see any more problems.The sport doesn’t need to live through another nine years like the last nine years. But just look at Rabobank at the Tour — they threw out Michael Rasmussen. In years past I don’t know if a team would have done that. And I’m pretty sure Johan Bruyneel isn’t going to put up with anyone just disappearing for a month."

It doesn't take a genius to know that even national team coaches and domestic DS's have asked for training and blood type information for decades. They want to know what potential for improvement the rider may have on top of what the team's paying them for. If the guys used up, no contract. If he's been running relatively low profile he's probably a good bet.

Berzin said:

It's quite clear he has sold out. So far into the twilight of his career and he is offered the Bruyneel.......er........torch.
As witnessed in Pais Vasco.

He knows that the whole of the 1999 USPS TDF team were riding +49%.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Kurt, quoting results Horner has had whilst under Bruyneel's 'guidance' doesn't really disprove the point that he seems to only perform well on teams that are doping - and, in the case of any team Bruyneel is involved with, that he has directly accused of so doing ;)

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Second, would I say 3rd place at Worlds is better then a TT win in the first stage at the Tour?
A tt win in the first stage of the Tour is one thing, outright domination is something altogether different, and that's the difference between the Zabriskie of then and the Zabriskie of now.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour051

Actually, Zabriskie reminds me of David Millar - a formerly dominaing ttt'er who's now only slightly better than average. And we know why that is for Millar.

kurtinsc said:
Well, I argued 20 million dollars is significant.

I guess you thought otherwise. I'm okay with that.

No, you argued that a number that you completely made up is significant even though it obviously would not qualify as a significant stake in Demand Media. It was some sort of weird pretzel logic where Demand Media's own description of Armstrong having a signficant stake in the company somehow does not really mean significant.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Back to the original post:

hammt34 said:
I am a little confused as I am a brand new fan to the REAL cycling world not just soley the tdf anymore.Anyway my point is Versus made it seem that bruyneel gutted the entire talent pool from Astana and made The Powerhouse of team radioshack but from what it looks like to me is that all the real talent was left on astana (contador) so my real question is do u think RS will do enough this year to be not considered a failure what real races can they win and at this point can they even take any stage wins or even an out of the way GC race I even had to double check that i was looking at the right race in catalunya as I saw Leipheimer and Kloden got shelled out the back today and Astana is even ahead in the coveted Team GC What can RS do from here on out to not be a failure:eek:

Well, hamm34,

here is a quick & partial update for you...using Lance's & RadioShack tweets
Stay tuned for more....unless your question has been answered already?

Seba wins!!!! Yes!!!
about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

Congrats to Sebastien Rosseler for his win at the Brabantse Pijl!
about 3 hours ago via web

@hornerakg wins it!!! Congrats my friend. Great win for @TeamRadioShack.
8:19 AM Apr 10th via UberTwitter

Congrats to @hornerakg on his great win at the Tour of the Basque Country! #TRS
9:37 AM Apr 10th via web

Circuit de la Sarthe Stage 4 Recap: Machado Second in Circuit de la Sarthe. http://bit.ly/dBVkIt #TRS
1:17 PM Apr 9th via web

Congrats to Tiago Machado for winning the TT here in La Sarthe!
8:57 AM Apr 7th via UberTwitter

Vuelta Ciclista al País Vasco Stage 5 Recap: Horner Looks to Saturday's Time Trial. http://bit.ly/dDAPxH #TRS
10:40 AM Apr 9th via web

Circuit de la Sarthe Stage 2b recap: Tiago Sensational in la Sarthe. http://bit.ly/dpuXHa #TRS
11:20 AM Apr 7th via web

Congrats to Tiago Machado for his win in the TT in the Circuit de la Sarthe today!
8:38 AM Apr 7th via web

St 1 of Sarthe done. Fast stage. Took 120 km before breakaway finally went. Nuts. Good racing tho. Popo has the climbers jersey. It's pink.
7:18 AM Apr 6th via UberTwitter

http://twitpic.com/1dmmo4 - Popo in pink. King of the Mountains in Sarthe/Pays de Loire
7:03 AM Apr 6th via TwitPic

Lance Armstrong was best-placed team rider - he came in with group just behind the top five. Report, quotes and photos on site later today.
8:00 AM Apr 4th via web

Well, that is one hard f-ing race lemme tell ya. Felt better than expected and managed to stay up front. Very happy w/ the way it went.
8:07 AM Apr 4th via UberTwitter

Up and at 'em early for the Tour of Flanders today. Peeking out the window I see wet streets and rain. Epic..
9:10 PM Apr 3rd via UberTwitter

@TeamRadioShack was awesome here in Crit Intl. Won the team classification again. This is the 3d Team GC win of the year for the team.
6:35 AM Mar 28th via UberTwitter

Critérium International Final Recap: Third Team Win for @teamradioshack. http://bit.ly/dfIQGp #TRS
11:43 AM Mar 28th via web

Tough first stage here @ Criterium intl. @teamradioshack was awesome. Tiago 2nd, as well as Ben Hermans and @hornerakg in the top 10.
8:37 AM Mar 27th via UberTwitter

Polish said:
Well, hamm34,

here is a quick & partial update for you...using Lance's & RadioShack tweets
Stay tuned for more....unless your question has been answered already?

Stay tuned for more of what? Armstrong has done absolutely nothing in his early season campaign and dropped out of the European scene altogether for the time being because he doesn't have the ball(s) to face Contador head-to-head in the Spring Classics.

Even for an unrepentant fanboy, your points are ridiculous.

Who cares what Radio Shack does in minor races? Do they have any contenders for Leige, Fleche and Amstel Gold? They certainly had no one in Flanders and Roubiax...yeah, they're a hell of a team.

THEY SUCK. ALL THE TWEETS IN THE WORLD WON'T CHANGE THIS.