• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Rate the 2024 Giro d'Italia Route

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the Route

• 10 (best)

Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.1%

Votes: 13 17.6%

Votes: 26 35.1%

Votes: 19 25.7%

Votes: 9 12.2%

• 1 (worst)

• Total voters
Unfortunately I think your right. I'm not one to moan on here about routes too often, but this is probably the worst Giro route I've seen for a very, very long time. And what's frustrating is they could have made some of the stages so much better with small adjustments.

I quite like the route. There are more flat stages than normal, but I don't mind that if the other stages create a decent amount of action, which I think they will.

Stage 2 proper MTF super early
Stage 7 pretty proper ITT
Stage 8 MTF
Stage 10 MTF after the rest day
Stage 14 ITT
Stage 15 MTF before the rest day
Stage 16, 17, 19, 20 mountains

It's very good pacing. The complaints about some of the stages in week 3 should actually help the rest of the race.....being the Giro the 3rd week is still the hardest (those stages are still individually good), but it's not as back loaded. Also note the ITT's immediately before MTF's, not the other way around.

it has "good pacing" with very weak-ass stages. stage 2, 8 and 10 are going to be super disappointing. the final climbs are not hard enough and the stages as a whole are not hard enough before the last climb either. the only good "mountain stages" are 15 and 20. it's bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I quite like the route. There are more flat stages than normal, but I don't mind that if the other stages create a decent amount of action, which I think they will.

Stage 2 proper MTF super early
Stage 7 pretty proper ITT
Stage 8 MTF
Stage 10 MTF after the rest day
Stage 14 ITT
Stage 15 MTF before the rest day
Stage 16, 17, 19, 20 mountains

It's very good pacing. The complaints about some of the stages in week 3 should actually help the rest of the race.....being the Giro the 3rd week is still the hardest (those stages are still individually good), but it's not as back loaded. Also note the ITT's immediately before MTF's, not the other way around.
Fair enough, your opinion!

It looks good to me. Maybe the omission of Slovenia in some form is something that makes less sense to me. A bit surprised about that actually. That is such stage would always deliver. Especially if Rogla or Pogi or both would participate. Said that i am not sure either will do that in 2024 season. In that case i would like to see Thomas to take the win. As Thomas might not participate, for me it is then about van Aert going for GC. Hopefully youngsters supporting him.

Reactions: sevenall
So considering Pogi is doing Giro 2024 and if in contention, then i guess stage 19 and more likely stage 20 could be attractive for Slovenians. To visit. But damn, considering on how stage 20 of Giro 2023 delivered. It's a shame that Giro organiser didn't chose something similar and closer to that. But OK. First things first and the rest will sort itself out. Hopefully some good weather.

So considering Pogi is doing Giro 2024 and if in contention, then i guess stage 19 and more likely stage 20 could be attractive for Slovenians. To visit. But damn, considering on how stage 20 of Giro 2023 delivered. It's a shame that Giro organiser didn't chose something similar and closer to that. But OK. First things first and the rest will sort itself out. Hopefully some good weather.
The giro last year didn´t deliver at all and this was mainly because they put such a hard time trial in the end!

Latest posts