• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
martinvickers said:
But as Ricco goes from enemy of clean sport, to figure of ridicule, it acts as some sort of warning, however over the top, of where the rabbithole leads. So for that reason, I'm glad it's public. Personally, I hope he gets the help he needs to find a life away from the bike.

But I doubt it.

I don't think it's about the bike (heh!), I think if Ricco had an accident that left him paralysed from the waist down he would still be doping to win wheelchair marathons.

Master50 said:
He is denying he was there to buy drugs. Wrong place at the wrong time. the Euros in the car were not his and they did not find the drugs on him either. While unbelievable Italian police have special reputation for getting things wrong :)

That boy is lost.

In Italy his lawyer would have simply told him to deny everything, to negate the obvious.

In Italy "truth" is always someone's "version," which also goes for what is not true.

Lastly in Italy lying is not a capital offense. Centuries of Catholicism and decades of fascism have resulted in the hierarchical structure, with little regard for civic responsibility, or sense of personal shame. Almost nothing is shameful, which has its advantages, despite the obvious perversions. Entire anthropological analysis have been written on the topic.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
In Italy his lawyer would have simply told him to deny everything, to negate the obvious.

In Italy "truth" is always someone's "version," which also goes for what is not true.

Lastly in Italy lying is not a capital offense. Centuries of Catholicism and decades of fascism have resulted in the hierarchical structure, with little regard for civic responsibility, or sense of personal shame. Almost nothing is shameful, which has its advantages, despite the obvious perversions. Entire anthropological analysis have been written on the topic.

Cultural issues matter in doping, in all sports, and in all countries. And cultures can be changed. With effort.

martinvickers said:
Cultural issues matter in doping, in all sports, and in all countries. And cultures can be changed. With effort.

That is a statement of hubris if I have every heard one. Three centuries of "demos hegemony" has not changed Italian civilization, I don't think this chat will certainly have any bearing on it, least of all will it change in a culture of omertà such as cycling for sure.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
That is a statement of hubris if I have every heard one. Three centuries of "demos hegemony" has not changed Italian civilization, I don't think this chat will certainly have any bearing on it, least of all will it change in a culture of omertà such as cycling for sure.

"No single drop of water thinks it is responsible for the flood"

Do not underestimate the power of mere attrition. Nothing is immovable. not Mountain, not valley, and certainly not people.

Master50 said:
He is denying he was there to buy drugs. Wrong place at the wrong time. the Euros in the car were not his and they did not find the drugs on him either. While unbelievable Italian police have special reputation for getting things wrong :)

That boy is lost.

Hey man... he's not tranquillo yet, okay? Once he's tranquillo we can talk about what he did wrong, until then I think he should get some due process.

It's good to know that in the new era or clean cycling one can easily purchase €15k of EPO in a carpark.

Now. 15k clearly wasn't all for Ricco. So there's a good number of Gran Fondo riders getting high octane in the new clean era. Or maybe just filter it down into the juniors.

Good times.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
It's good to know that in the new era or clean cycling one can easily purchase €15k of EPO in a carpark.

Now. 15k clearly wasn't all for Ricco. So there's a good number of Gran Fondo riders getting high octane in the new clean era. Or maybe just filter it down into the juniors.

Good times.

This.

Burn him.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:

How is this any different to most countries? Is the US any better? Is the UK? Germany, Spain or Belgium?

Nope. They just conceal it better.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
thehog said:

Good times.

I'm think you are sadly quite right about this. There must be a market for this otherwise there wouldn't be a supply.

As for the 'new clean era', I'm not sure it has ever applied to amateur ranks, has it?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
hrotha said:
Of course there's a market. 95% of the doping ring busts involve gran fondo and master racers.

An analogy that was raised earlier in the Sky thread would be something along the lines of:

your average Joe / Jane is taking advantage of tax loop holes and borderline dodgy accounting practices, but the big corporations and extra wealthy income earners are all squeaky clean and above board.

ralphbert said:
I'm starting to really like Ricco. Comedy like this is hard to find.
I know. I've tried to hate him, I mean I've really gone out of my way but... he's... just so... cluelessly hilarious. It's like his sole purpose on earth is to troll pro cycling :D

I hope he's never allowed near a bike again, ever, but I'm still going to watch replays of his efforts at the '08 Giro and TdF in his honour ;)

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I know. I've tried to hate him, I mean I've really gone out of my way but... he's... just so... cluelessly hilarious. It's like his sole purpose on earth is to troll pro cycling :D

I don't suppose there is much else he can do. He is astoundingly thick. Makes Di Luca look like a university professor.

I think it takes a special kind of person to invent a self-aggrandising nickname, like The Cobra.

So thick that he didn't even understand why his ridiculous antics made everyone else look bad.... which of course is why they all hated him, not because he doped.

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion Ricco has a sort of mental problems. Maybe he has only bike in his mind and when he loose it everything goes wrong. I bet he has only a bike-racing in his life. That is the hard truth. I think also he isn't a bad guy, he just need a help from a psychiatrist, from family, from his "a loved one". He step on a wrong way in this sport, because he wanted to fly on moutains. Of course is bad, but on the other hand it is sort of a free and epic when you are wining a stage in TdF. Thats so magical and "narcotic". I'm semi-pro cyclist and I understand his problem. When you have a good legs and you are winning everything goes perfecto, but not always you have a good legs... Some cyclist can it understand and cool down, some can't and want to fight above 100% theirs ability. I have to say that taking a hard doping, meaning bloodtransfusion is also a gesture from him to love of cycling, love of fame. He risk his life to be the best of he can on that sport. I know that is a crime, but also it is a litte beautifle that he love so much the moutains and the competition in racing.

I think the UCI should unban him. Yes it sounds crazy... But if he will swear and sign of much of papers that he won't dope anymore - it will help Ricco find a peaceful way of life to do what he are dreaming all the time. He just want to compete in cycling. He just have that "will", maybe based on some mental problems from childhood. But he need to racing. No matter in what league, no matter in what team. Just be in the peloton and fight, sacrifice, feel a free mind on the downhills, attack on the moutains.. No matter of the scores, results.. just be on this cycling community and feel that he is a part of that and he can compete with his "rivals"(I mean in his mind and also on the race in real)
I understand that. Right now cycling is "forbidden fruit" for Ricco.

I also think it is possible that he commit a suicide. Why? Because if he can handle the most "hard doping"..even using it when he is banned till 2024, it means he needs a help right now. He is only just a man... Like me, like you. Like everybody. He need a treatment in hospital or he need to be unban and racing. Thats the true.

Don't pick a finger on him, because you dont know him, his problems and targets. I bet a half of you guys will take a banned substances if you have a
opportunity to do this and It will depend of your results in TdF.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Ahhh... let me think about what you're proposing... No.

Won't work.

Too many chances are given, when no chances are given, maybe some of these thieves will wake up and stop stealing other peoples careers/money/prizes.

Ricco has been given chances in the past, what makes you think he will change now?

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Ahhh... let me think about what you're proposing... No.

Won't work.

Too many chances are given, when no chances are given, maybe some of these thieves will wake up and stop stealing other peoples careers/money/prizes.

Ricco has been given chances in the past, what makes you think he will change now?

I just don't want to see Ricco ending his life like Pantani did.
BTW. I wonder if Ricardo is reading this topic ^^
I bet he is.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't see all this Ricco as Pantani stuff. Pantani seems to have been much more fragile than RR. I could see Ricco saying "f--- it," and opening laughing about doping, trying to develop some kind of dopers' anything-goes race, or doing his Ventoux record attempts, etc. long before I could see him committing suicide.

platinum_eagle said:
I just don't want to see Ricco ending his life like Pantani did.
BTW. I wonder if Ricardo is reading this topic ^^
I bet he is.

yes i'm sure. or maybe he loves real life too

Bm9GyokIYAAURyT.jpg

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
beech mtn said:
i don't see all this ricco as pantani stuff. Pantani seems to have been much more fragile than rr. I could see ricco saying "f--- it," and opening laughing about doping, trying to develop some kind of dopers' anything-goes race, or doing his ventoux record attempts, etc. Long before i could see him committing suicide.

+ 1

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Pantani was a multiple GT winner. Ricco not. No comparison in palmares.

Both lived to dope to race. If Ricco died from drugs he will not be feted in a similar fashion to Pantani who unfairly has been elevated to godlike status, when in reality he was no different to Ricco. A doper and an unrepentant one.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Pantani was a multiple GT winner. Ricco not. No comparison in palmares.

Both lived to dope to race. If Ricco died from drugs he will not be feted in a similar fashion to Pantani who unfairly has been elevated to godlike status, when in reality he was no different to Ricco. A doper and an unrepentant one.

Just timing Ricco got caught early. Of course he was trying really hard to get caught and still is it seams. Seems like the Italians might have a good anti doping agency :) Not that you would notice that?

Pantani did win the hearts of fans fairly. OK not fair in terms of the rules but under that same conditions as his rivals. In the End he was the emotional favourite. Ricco never earned that. He got our attention as a phoneme but miscalculated a lot in thinking he could get away with the same stuff as Pantani.

I expect you to discredit that? I get you think it has not changed and you are looking for a sign from god. IT is all a process not an event. It took a few years for EPO to reach its worst and it has taken a few years to de-escalate to a point where rider are reasoning they can avoid the dark side and still reach their dreams. Ricco seemed to be more like you. Just believed he had to dope so never considered his talents.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
first I wish to say, Ricco was my favourite rider, with Robbie MAc, and closely followed by Cav who I have a love-hate thing going...

however, that said
Master50 said:
He got our attention as a phoneme but miscalculated a lot in thinking he could get away with the same stuff as Pantani.
I am being facetious here, but you are extending Ricky Riccio a lot of credit in assuming he was "thinking".

Ricco has to be the dumbest doper out there. Caught during races, caught when he's not racing and caught at the the hospital. Like he said he was in the wrong place at the wrong time..........on every occasion. Cobra ? Yes he's a snake or maybe a just a wriggling little earthworm. Other dopers must be ashamed of him and his history of failure. I'm sure people laugh about him at doping seminars. Reality TV beckons. He only has to be himself and laughter will be assured.