• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Moviestar said:
Bravo Richie!!

2nd in the queens stage, one stage win, currently 5th in his first Giro and perhaps the white jersey with a struggling MAL.
It's been a phenomenal race for him. And it's going to give Movistar some problems going forward - Quintana, Landa, Valverde, Amador, possibly Soler and now Carapaz. That's half a squad capable of top 5 GT finishes, but none of whom (execpt Landa who joined specifically to be leader), are much good as domestiques.

I need to see if Soler is capable of a Top 5-finish. I feel he is a bit limited in the high mountains. Well i was already impressed with Carapaz in Paris-Nice, where he dragged Soler to the overall win in the mountains.

DFA123 said:
Moviestar said:
Bravo Richie!!

2nd in the queens stage, one stage win, currently 5th in his first Giro and perhaps the white jersey with a struggling MAL.
It's been a phenomenal race for him. And it's going to give Movistar some problems going forward - Quintana, Landa, Valverde, Amador, possibly Soler and now Carapaz. That's half a squad capable of top 5 GT finishes, but none of whom (execpt Landa who joined specifically to be leader), are much good as domestiques.

Amador is a very good domestique and Soler and Carapaz have done well as domestiques.

When Valverde joined the team in 2005 it was specifically to be a leader and that's what he's been since day 1 there. That won't change until he retires. Truthfully I expect Quintana won't get a new contract with this team as he's not looked at as their future. Soler and Carapaz are being looked at that way. Landa, we'll see if he wants to stay or not. Valverde will be there for as long as he wants to race.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Have to say I am a bit disappointed with young guns today. This was the stage to do it, to try it and not to tactically suck the wheels until last few hundred meters.

I think he could have went a little earlier today to put more time into Lopez, that attack was pretty explosive.

Really cool rider to follow, last year he did well in the Vuelta and especially at Angliru which promised good things for 2018. Then he basically dragged Soler up the MTF in Paris-Nice and then began to get his own results in lesser stages races. I knew he had a very good level going in, but this was still super unexpected. To be this strong, this early (okay, he is 24, but is still new) really bodes well for the future. He has the potential to be a star, he can win bike races. I think Purito was more explosive on super steep stuff, actually Simon Yates would also be a very good comparison.

I can't really blame him for today's calculations, but it makes me not cheering for him moving forward. Meh...and it's not the first time in this Giro. He's going to Haimar his way to a top-5. Like Geniez will Montfort his way to a top-15. There's so little Giro left, if he has the goodies, why hold back? Calculations. The Unzue-Quintana post above is scary.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think he could have went a little earlier today to put more time into Lopez, that attack was pretty explosive.

Really cool rider to follow, last year he did well in the Vuelta and especially at Angliru which promised good things for 2018. Then he basically dragged Soler up the MTF in Paris-Nice and then began to get his own results in lesser stages races. I knew he had a very good level going in, but this was still super unexpected. To be this strong, this early (okay, he is 24, but is still new) really bodes well for the future. He has the potential to be a star, he can win bike races. I think Purito was more explosive on super steep stuff, actually Simon Yates would also be a very good comparison.

Carapaz has a very, very strong character. maybe his biggest asset? --- Remember he almost quit cycling in 2014 after he was hit by a car in his neighboorhood of Julio Andrade. He was out for several months after the rehabilitation was complicated by the damaged muscle tissue.

He made his comeback after racing in Bolivia on home soil in Vuelta Ecuador (in October) that year and almost won the entire race. He crashed on the last lap on the last stage ( he had an 18 seconds advantage) and Juan Pozo won the overall by 1 second in the end.

Tomorrow will be en epic battle between him and Superman. They will be glued to each other just like this foto in Vuelta Porvenir back in (2011).

384974_184972284926650_1063040724_n.jpg

Tonton said:
I can't really blame him for today's calculations, but it makes me not cheering for him moving forward. Meh...and it's not the first time in this Giro. He's going to Haimar his way to a top-5. Like Geniez will Montfort his way to a top-15. There's so little Giro left, if he has the goodies, why hold back? Calculations. The Unzue-Quintana post above is scary.
He did win a stage and finish 2nd in one of the most epic stages in several years.

I've been very impressed. I don't think you can hold it against him that he's not taken more chances. He's had days when he's suffered and he's had days when he's been very good and one of them even resulted in a stage win. He's a young guy performing well above expectations in what (in my opinion) is one of the hardest ridden grand tours in a while. He's unexpectedly got something to lose and it's reasonable that he wouldn't gamble too hard after such a monster stage. If he has a good day the young rider jersey is there as an option and who knows, if Pinot has another bad one it's not like the podium is unreachably far away.

Has been a lot more inspiring to follow than Lopez who have looked subpar the whole Giro, yet somehow snatched a podium. I don't think he is going to ride the Vuelta, maybe he is, but I really hope he is coming back to the Giro. Being that relatively explosive on hard finishes AND having that great of an engine is a great combo and one that will make you win many bike races - he ain't a one trick which I actually thought he was. I never imagined he would do this well on back-to-back extremely hard, typical Giro mountain stages.

Chapeau! Rider of the race for me, at least relatively to expectations.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Has been a lot more inspiring to follow than Lopez who have looked subpar the whole Giro, yet somehow snatched a podium. I don't think he is going to ride the Vuelta, maybe he is, but I really hope he is coming back to the Giro. Being that relatively explosive on hard finishes AND having that great of an engine is a great combo and one that will make you win many bike races - he ain't a one trick which I actually thought he was. I never imagined he would do this well on back-to-back extremely hard, typical Giro mountain stages.

Chapeau! Rider of the race for me, at least relatively to expectations.

Agreed. I hope they send him back to the Giro next year, maybe with Amador.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Movistar certainly had a much better race than expected thanks to him.

Just imagine that with that team they were only 47 seconds away from a podium spot :eek:
Yeah, it was a pretty horrible team honestly. Valls was going well but crashed unfortunately and Betancur was pretty mediocre through the whole race, consistent, but mediocre. Carapaz really saved a Giro where they otherwise would have been non-existent.

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
I sincerely hope he has a contract with movistar wt next year. he's the real deal though and although not always very professional and suffering with weight issues he has become more stabile in recent years. there's another monstertalent coming through from ecuador in the quickstep u23 team right now, 18 year old and current world junior pursuit record holder (he trashed that world record last year!) jonathan narvaez
Ryo on point again!

But really, this performance is especially impressive since A LOT of established GC rider simply ran out of gas starting with Chaves, Aru, Yates, Pozzo (to some extent) and Pinot. Carapaz on the other hand had more or less the same level throughout the race, maybe even a better towards the end, relatively obviously, which his 2nd place at Jafferau is a testament to. I hope he will ride races such as Österreich, Poland/Burgos, Deutschland Tour (if they participate) and the hilly Italian one day races.

Jakob747 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Carapaz has a very, very strong character. maybe his biggest asset? --- Remember he almost quit cycling in 2014 after he was hit by a car in his neighboorhood of Julio Andrade. He was out for several months after the rehabilitation was complicated by the damaged muscle tissue.

He made his comeback after racing in Bolivia on home soil in Vuelta Ecuador (in October) that year and almost won the entire race. He crashed on the last lap on the last stage ( he had an 18 seconds advantage) and Juan Pozo won the overall by 1 second in the end.

Tomorrow will be en epic battle between him and Superman. They will be glued to each other just like this foto in Vuelta Porvenir back in (2011).

Who's the third guy in the picture?

ciranda said:
Jakob747 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Who's the third guy in the picture?

Roller Diagama!

Re:

capuldemetal said:
No vuelta espana for him.possibly san sebastian,the italian autumn classics and the worlds
I figured he wouldn't, that would probably be a bit too much and the Vuelta is pretty crowded since it looks like el tridente will ride that as well. Then you add the likes of Anacona and Rosón who both havent done a GT and there isn't room. Well, I dont know about Anacona, he hasnt done much.

While the fake Lil Richie is trying to find his shape overseas, the real one won a stage in the Giro today! Actually a quite similar win today to the one one year ago at Montevergine. He showed an amazing motor in the last Giro, so I cant see why he couldnt finish top-5 again now that Dumo and Bernal are gone. He has a good shot at L'Aquila as well.

Lil Richard always tries when he sees the opportunity. Sometimes he fails as in Poland last year and sometimes he gets his reward.
Top 5? I see Roglic, Nibali, Yates and Lopez are so far better than him. I guess he'll have to fight with the likes of Majka, Mollema and Landa for the 5th spot :D

TRENDING THREADS