• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jelantik said:
I really don't see Porte or Froome will leave. For Porte, he is 'something' now since he is in Sky. So that means whatever program Sky had on him, it works! Same with Froome. He'll be no one if he moves to other team. Are you crazy? You got some no name rider and then.. "puff" turn into top domestique to drag you around in an arm chair around the mountain. They can even make Wiggin won the TDF despite Froome was a stronger climber. So they can make anyone to win anything. Porte was never reached his potential at saxo before. Well .. forward one year. Look where he is now. What a transformation. I would be stupid, to move to other team regardless.

It's not only the Sky influence. Porte is much more experienced now and has matured. He had talent from the start but I agree that he won't leave Sky. Froome would not be a nobody at another team, he would be signed as a leader and for a lot of money if he wins the Tour. Pro's tend to ride longer these days so Wiggo will probably be around for a few more years. Froome and Porte are already known names and faces to the fans and any further wins will just add to their popularity. Money also is a big thing of course as much as people don't want to mention it.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:
If some team offers him a lot more $$$ than Sky then he'll leave. They can't keep everyone and they have to prioritise keeping hold of the Brits (Froome, Wiggins, Thomas).

I only see one Brit there:D and he probably see's himself as Welsh not British.

Regarding Porte he does seem motivated by $$$$$. Wasn't he upset that Saxo didn't give him a payrise after 2010. So he rides for $$$$$, could explain the awful 2011 season he had.

BYOP88 said:
I only see one Brit there:D and he probably see's himself as Welsh not British.

Regarding Porte he does seem motivated by $$$$$. Wasn't he upset that Saxo didn't give him a payrise after 2010. So he rides for $$$$$, could explain the awful 2011 season he had.

Yes, he was still on his neo pro wage in 2011 after Sky had offered him a big contract at the end of the 2010 season.

Everyone's motivated by $$$ and particularly cyclists. It's a short career and most of them don't have much of an education to fall back on once they've retired.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd view Porte leaving Sky as something of a risk. Porte this year has performed at a level where on any other team he'd pick his GT and lead it. He'd be paid as a GT leader, and be expected to perform. However he'd be expected to perform in an unfamiliar team and might find it difficult to live up to expectations, crumble and then have to start working up again.
I also think most other teams would be cautious in the contracts they offer anyone from Sky, as noted Sky riders ride 10% better for Sky than they did at their previous teams, maybe that's reversed when they leave. Gerrans is an example of the opposite, so maybe not.

will10 said:
Kennaugh will be a top 8 climber superdomestique by then, Froome will be fine.

Well, possibly, but I'm pretty sure Henao will be there too. Brailsford said as much after the Tour. He talked about bringing a 2012 style super team to the 2014 Tour. Froome, Porte, Henao, Wiggins, Kennaugh, Thomas, Kiryienka, EBH and Stannard were the names he mentioned.

Miburo said:
Porte will destroy the giro competition next year, in the same fashion as Contador and Nibali did.

He's more inconsistent than Froome and I'm not really referring to stage 9 of the Tour. You can see at various points of the season that his form varies a little bit. Doctor Ferrari said the same thing when looking at his performances. Of course a big early season peak for Paris-Nice made sense for Porte considering he wasn't going to be leader at the Tour and perhaps when he is fully focussed on a grand tour we will see that very high level of his over the full three weeks.

I'd also add that he didn't have a perfect season without health problems which won't have helped. He was sick after Pais Vasco (affecting his Romandie performance) and also during the pre-Dauphine training camp in Tenerife (probably preventing him from following Froome to take the stage win off De Marchi and perhaps contributing to some up and down days at the Tour).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Porte will destroy the giro competition next year, in the same fashion as Contador and Nibali did.

Not if the Colombians have anything to say, I pray that Quintana goes to the Giro. Now that, would be an annihilation. :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
why isn't there an option for none of the above?

Porte is a damn good rider. but considering the fact that he will never get a chance to ride tour as leader until wiggins and froome leave sky, there is no way he can get all three.

that leaves with giro-vuelta double. with the rise of Colombian riders and the shifting focus to more punchy climbs, even that looks less likely.

he might get a hat trick of giros though.