• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Warhawk said:
According to the interview, Burghardt dropped back for him but the peloton was moving too fast and was already gone.

The neutral service took an age to fit his rear wheel, you lose a minute in the final 10k's of a stage where the pace is so high and your not getting back on, even if you've got 3/4 teammates to help.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Warhawk said:
According to the interview, Burghardt dropped back for him but the peloton was moving too fast and was already gone.

The neutral service took an age to fit his rear wheel, you lose a minute in the final 10k's of a stage where the pace is so high and your not getting back on, even if you've got 3/4 teammates to help.

Yeah, I did a facepalm watching them try to change that wheel. :rolleyes:

Pricey_sky said:
Warhawk said:

That guy from the neutral service was at his first day at work or a *** moron.It's not possible to lose so much time in this way.

DBotero said:
Pricey_sky said:
Warhawk said:

That guy from the neutral service was at his first day at work or a **** moron.It's not possible to lose so much time in this way.

Well, I certainly couldn't do the job. Last 5k of an uphill finish in the TdF, one of the favorites (albeit second-tier) gets a flat? Imagine the pressure.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Warhawk said:
BigMac said:
Warhawk said:
BigMac said:
Poor guy. ''Team'' couldn't be bothered to leave just one guy with him or leave someone behind he could switch bikes with.

I think they used up all their guys in the chase, other than Greg and Tejay.

EDIT: Yep, Porte was the 3rd placed BMC rider. It's just bad timing.

I don't think so. 5 minutes or so after the flat tire one guy clearly showed dropping from the peloton, give him a pull for 10 seconds and drop again to the gruppetto. They had at least one guy there who could have given him his bike or at least help him. Now I'll be wishing they don't get a single stage win.

I'm just mad, and I even said i'd prefer TJVG leading the team over Porte. :mad:

Ah, looking at the times it was probably Caruso.
So it was.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Poor Richie... Really. He just never catches a break. 2nd day already lost 1+ minutes??? I guess now he will be riding for Tejay as super domestique. Gosh, I feel sorry for him.

Re:

Jelantik said:
Poor Richie... Really. He just never catches a break. 2nd day already lost 1+ minutes??? I guess now he will be riding for Tejay as super domestique. Gosh, I feel sorry for him.

Well, as Tejay said in the interview, you never know what's going to happen, and something could go wrong for him, or Froome, or whoever just as easily tomorrow.

Re:

Jelantik said:

It'll be just like Froome soft-pedaling for Wiggins when the race enters week three. Porte was my pick for third. Poor guy.

BigMac said:
Warhawk said:
BigMac said:
Poor guy. ''Team'' couldn't be bothered to leave just one guy with him or leave someone behind he could switch bikes with.

I think they used up all their guys in the chase, other than Greg and Tejay.

EDIT: Yep, Porte was the 3rd placed BMC rider. It's just bad timing.

I don't think so. 5 minutes or so after the flat tire one guy clearly showed dropping from the peloton, give him a pull for 10 seconds and drop again to the gruppetto. They had at least one guy there who could have given him his bike or at least help him. Now I'll be wishing they don't get a single stage win.

I'm just mad, and I even said i'd prefer TJVG leading the team over Porte. :mad:

TBH, such an incident WOULD cost you in such race circumstances but there's clearly been some less than perfect communication amongst the team. Where do you point the finger ? DS in the car, team mates or Richie ?

I can't help thinking that Richie's thought processes in such circumstances may not be the best ....remembering back to last year's Giro episode.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
dirkprovin said:
TBH, such an incident WOULD cost you in such race circumstances but there's clearly been some less than perfect communication amongst the team. Where do you point the finger ? DS in the car, team mates or Richie ?

I can't help thinking that Richie's thought processes in such circumstances may not be the best ....remembering back to last year's Giro episode.

Communication is such a tricky thing with 5km left in the stage. We know Sagan wasn't even aware the break had all been caught and he was riding for victory. I think ultimately this just comes down to having too many leaders for BMC. Looking after Porte and TJ for overall while trying to pull back a break and then lead out GVA just puts too much stress on a team. For all that Contador fans seem to be upset with his lack of support the truth is Tinkoff wasn't up front at all today, they let other teams do all the work and if the break didn't get caught I don't think that would've hurt their feelings one bit.

Movistar, Astana, Sky, FDJ all have their guys and they all had an entire team to protect them. BMC was kind of caught in a no man's land where you could see they wanted to hit the front to pull for GVA but kept backing off because they weren't sure if that was the right move. Finally they did really put an effort into it and they lost pretty much everyone but Caruso(?) although I heard TJ say Moinard was the one who went back so who knows. So then you've got leaders all over the road TJ and Porte were basically on their own and Richie got unlucky. Price you pay when you try to do too much.

Ironically the same thing happened to BMC a couple years back when TJ went down in a crash and GVA was front and center forcing the action and the peloton forward as he tried to win which was a weird dichotomy. He didn't win, and TJ probably lost extra time as a result of his actions. So they should have learned their lesson.

Queens Boulevard said:
dirkprovin said:

Communication is such a tricky thing with 5km left in the stage. We know Sagan wasn't even aware the break had all been caught and he was riding for victory. I think ultimately this just comes down to having too many leaders for BMC. Looking after Porte and TJ for overall while trying to pull back a break and then lead out GVA just puts too much stress on a team. For all that Contador fans seem to be upset with his lack of support the truth is Tinkoff wasn't up front at all today, they let other teams do all the work and if the break didn't get caught I don't think that would've hurt their feelings one bit.

Movistar, Astana, Sky, FDJ all have their guys and they all had an entire team to protect them. BMC was kind of caught in a no man's land where you could see they wanted to hit the front to pull for GVA but kept backing off because they weren't sure if that was the right move. Finally they did really put an effort into it and they lost pretty much everyone but Caruso(?) although I heard TJ say Moinard was the one who went back so who knows. So then you've got leaders all over the road TJ and Porte were basically on their own and Richie got unlucky. Price you pay when you try to do too much.

Ironically the same thing happened to BMC a couple years back when TJ went down in a crash and GVA was front and center forcing the action and the peloton forward as he tried to win which was a weird dichotomy. He didn't win, and TJ probably lost extra time as a result of his actions. So they should have learned their lesson.

Very fair points and we cannot know precisely was done and they're not likely to tell us given the less than ideal outcome.

Its just that last year's Giro episode leaves a less than complimentary picture of Richie's capacity to think straight under pressure; not just the Clarke issue but going to the wrong side of the road. Am certainly not laying it all on his head but over the year's he hasn't exactly struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
All this talk about BMC having too many leaders is a pure BS. They have one leader, TJ and one backup plan TLMRP. If Porte was a true co-leader, they would always have a teammate near to give him an immediate help, (wheel, bike, etc).

Yes, he was unlucky, but he is not a leader, and that's why he was left behind. Frankly, I would rather see him making a Top10 instead of listening another year how unlucky he is and all the nonsense about him making a TDF podium.

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Simply put, Richie is this generation's 'Levi Leipheimer'-
a gifted cyclist, but completely lacks the 'winning' acumen and any kind of aura that the GT champs have.
Ritchie's best moments have come in support of a leader OR when he is so far down on time that it makes no difference (or in lesser races)
To expect any more from him (in a GT) is the problem.

Re:

Jancouver said:
All this talk about BMC having too many leaders is a pure BS. They have one leader, TJ and one backup plan TLMRP. If Porte was a true co-leader, they would always have a teammate near to give him an immediate help, (wheel, bike, etc).

Yes, he was unlucky, but he is not a leader, and that's why he was left behind. Frankly, I would rather see him making a Top10 instead of listening another year how unlucky he is and all the nonsense about him making a TDF podium.

They didn't really have any teammates near Tejay or Greg toward the end either... I think they just didn't really have a good idea of what they were trying to do and got caught with their pants down.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Warhawk said:
Jancouver said:

They didn't really have any teammates near Tejay or Greg toward the end either... I think they just didn't really have a good idea of what they were trying to do and got caught with their pants down.

You are correct; they should not have to do any work for GVA and should only look after their "leaders".

GVA would be OK just being glued to Sagan's wheel and there was no need for BMC to work. Just look at Sky and Movistar, how much work did they do other than protecting their leader?

I actually think it might play well for him. Can take the pressure off and ride a bit within himself when things get super hot in the mountains. There is no way he was realistically challenging for the win - and whether he comes 7th or 17th will depend on how well he goes in the 3rd week. 1.45 loss is actually pretty arbitrary.

Well that worked well. Shades of Sky in the Giro and their idiot decision making. Why not just take a team mates bike ? I suppose he is the shortest in the team which is a problem or take a wheel from a team mate ? Was he co-leader or not ? They could have had two riders wait for him. But when the luck is out it's out. Contador lost important time. Porte is becoming the new Gesink. If something can go wrong it will. In the past if this happened his race just got worse. I hope he can use this to motivate himself. I suppose better to happen now than in the final week. He just has to put it behind him and get on with it.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
I actually think it might play well for him. Can take the pressure off and ride a bit within himself when things get super hot in the mountains. There is no way he was realistically challenging for the win - and whether he comes 7th or 17th will depend on how well he goes in the 3rd week. 1.45 loss is actually pretty arbitrary.

I don't think 1.45 for any of the GC riders is arbitrary. Knowing Porte's luck he will do a good race now and the 1.45 will come back to haunt him. Last year's race was only won by 71 seconds but I suppose if Porte does a top 10 and leaks much more time, it does not matter much. I would rather see him get angry and show something even a stage win would be better than a top 10 or 15. Contador was probably the bigger loser on the day as hardly anyone thought Porte was a podium proposition but still it's not going to help Porte's mindset unless the managers can help keep him motivated and he knows that that could have happened to anyone. Froome and Contador probably still have memories of 2014. The first week of the Tour always takes a out a few GC riders. It never fails.