• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Porte usually better at the start of the race than in the third week? Or is it just because he never makes it to the third week? Any evidence on this?

He was strong in the 3rd week in 2016. I thought he would pop before then. He didn’t. So far he has shown improvement. Other than his age there is no reason not to expect his form to improve as the Tour draws on. He might fall off again. But if he doesn’t I think it could get interesting.

Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
yaco said:
Main thing is he survived stage nine - Form is not as good as in the past but can do a 7th to 10th on GC.

You don’t think stage 6 form was good? Was good enough to finish same time as Bernal. He came to the Tour underdone. Let’s see him in ITT first.

I'm very interested to see how Porte goes when there's almost no pressure to win. He looked a little frisky today, not good enough to make anything stick, but he was clearly feeling good. He and Nibali were the big unknowns to me, and we've already seen that Nibali isn't a GC contender. If Porte can hang around and follow the right wheels, sure, he could podium or Top 5. Even a top 10 would be a good result if the race stays tight.

Re:

movingtarget said:
In a few days the questions about Porte and Quintana will be answered.

Still five days away imo. Very boring period of the Tour. I don't expect much to happen on Thursday, and then on Friday I expect few surprises (though obviously time differences; Porte to lose around 40 seconds to Thomas and Quintana around 80 seconds). We probably won't have a clear answer until Saturday. Me, as an Australian I would love to see Porte flying away on the Tourmalet like he has on MTF's in one week races in the past. Unlikely, but if not, then I'd take him staying with the heads of state, and maybe gaping them a little in the last couple of kms, setting him up for the final week.

gregrowlerson said:
movingtarget said:
In a few days the questions about Porte and Quintana will be answered.

Still five days away imo. Very boring period of the Tour. I don't expect much to happen on Thursday, and then on Friday I expect few surprises (though obviously time differences; Porte to lose around 40 seconds to Thomas and Quintana around 80 seconds). We probably won't have a clear answer until Saturday. Me, as an Australian I would love to see Porte flying away on the Tourmalet like he has on MTF's in one week races in the past. Unlikely, but if not, then I'd take him staying with the heads of state, and maybe gaping them a little in the last couple of kms, setting him up for the final week.

Yes like the Giro it's a back loaded race with the most decisive action in the final week. Although the TTT has been decisive enough for quite a few GC riders.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Porte survived the first 9 days, that in itself is already a miracle.

Then drops over a minute and a half but there were plenty of GC disasters to join him. Ineos make the most of their opportunities and have finished off a few GC riders in the process. What must Pinot be thinking ? Good result for Quintana, SK and Yates as well.

movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Then drops over a minute and a half but there were plenty of GC disasters to join him. Ineos make the most of their opportunities and have finished off a few GC riders in the process. What must Pinot be thinking ? Good result for Quintana, SK and Yates as well.

Don't think Porte has been helped much by his team - Ciccone who was coming off the Giro and maybe could help in the back half of the race, went out in a break and got yellow which meant extra work for the team - They put Stuyven who was the key rider for crosswinds in the stage yesterday when there was a chance of crosswinds today - In saying that Porte may not be a STRONG leader and is awful in cross winds.

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Don't think Porte has been helped much by his team - Ciccone who was coming off the Giro and maybe could help in the back half of the race, went out in a break and got yellow which meant extra work for the team - They put Stuyven who was the key rider for crosswinds in the stage yesterday when there was a chance of crosswinds today - In saying that Porte may not be a STRONG leader and is awful in cross winds.

I am sure he isn’t a strong leader. But Trek must share some blame. Where was the team when needed? Ciccone Should be p’d off as well.

Cookster15 said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I am sure he isn’t a strong leader. But Trek must share some blame. Where was the team when needed? Ciccone Should be p’d off as well.

Yes also Pinot's team. EF made the initial move and lost Uran ! Ineos rarely make such mistakes while Porte and Pinot keep finding ways to mess up.

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Porte has the racing nous of a blind deer, but if Trek were serious about winning or getting a podium, Stuyven would not be doing bunch sprints for top 10's and then killing himself in day long breaks. He should be riding like Kwia for Ineos.

The Hegelian said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Porte has the racing nous of a blind deer, but if Trek were serious about winning or getting a podium, Stuyven would not be doing bunch sprints for top 10's and then killing himself in day long breaks. He should be riding like Kwia for Ineos.

Yes Trek's idea of team support is not the same as other teams..........this is what happens when you spread too many riders over too many roles. But then again Trek's manager reportedly warned them of the crosswinds and they waved him off saying it was all under control !

movingtarget said:
Cookster15 said:
Porte comment after his little crash today..

I hope it doesn't affect me tomorrow - we'll see

Here we go again.

Luckily it was a low speed crash. If he was concussed they wouldn't let him start the following stage. So it could have been race over again. Quintana also fell but he seems fine.

It wasn't the crash but his comment. Negative. The words of someone who gives up too easily. Even if he did have doubts you would think he would keep it too himself until his legs decide on the road.

Cookster15 said:
movingtarget said:
Cookster15 said:
Porte comment after his little crash today..

I hope it doesn't affect me tomorrow - we'll see

Here we go again.

Luckily it was a low speed crash. If he was concussed they wouldn't let him start the following stage. So it could have been race over again. Quintana also fell but he seems fine.

It wasn't the crash but his comment. Negative. The words of someone who gives up too easily. Even if he did have doubts you would think he would keep it too himself until his legs decide on the road.

Never been too confident at least with his language anyway.

TRENDING THREADS