• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP GCN+

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh damn - I just saw the bit about Eurosport and Cycling but now I think of it that is just the stuff they have on telly WITH adverts. This is bad news. I've really got into watching cross over the weekend.
In the UK at least the Eurosport TV coverage is just not dependable for cross.
A few weeks ago both Saturday and Sunday races were shown, since then nothing but continuing repeats of Troyes and looking to be the same this coming weekend.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Re-engaging this thread in the distant hopes that someone has some 'good' news for us long-suffering Canadian (and American) fans. GCN+ was a godsend, not likely to be repeated. but a glimmer of hope wouldn't go amiss as the Pacific Northwest settles into its long season of darkness and rain. Can anyone make my day?
No help here, but I can certainly commiserate re: the dark and rain. Going to be a crud week.

Re-engaging this thread in the distant hopes that someone has some 'good' news for us long-suffering Canadian (and American) fans. GCN+ was a godsend, not likely to be repeated. but a glimmer of hope wouldn't go amiss as the Pacific Northwest settles into its long season of darkness and rain. Can anyone make my day?
I have 'grey market' IPTV that has channels from everywhere so i get Eurosport 1 and 2 here in Canada. Its super cheap too, like $20 per month and you can share with at least 3 households so my buddy deals with it and just gives me the login / setup info.
CX was always on the past few years, some reason they haven't been showing it on Eurosport UK this year, always billiards, skiing on Sat/Sun morning for me recently :(
You also get all american, canadian channels from basically every city.

Saunaking, used the term " grey market " I will stick with that.. VPN is absolutely essential and after you can look on your local Craigslist or Offer up ..Facebook marketplace for someone offering a Amazon Fire stick w " extended programming. In my area there are lots of Filipinos, Vietnamese and people from Arab countries like Iraq and Afghanistan. These folks on Craigslist and others offer foreign programming at a reasonable price, usually after @$40-50 bucks for the stick with some added applications.. Pretty common for movie streaming. You have to ask, but many third party streaming services offer, French, German, Italian, ect programming.. Just have to look a little.

This is just an example I am in no way endorsing the guy

Dan Lloyd's closing remarks on Racing News this week did not seem to hold out much hope for retention anywhere of the documentaries: "You'll have until the 19th of December to watch it [new doc on Alpe d'Huez] and any of the other content on GCN+"

So why are we wasting time reading this?

Dan Lloyd's closing remarks on Racing News this week did not seem to hold out much hope for retention anywhere of the documentaries: "You'll have until the 19th of December to watch it [new doc on Alpe d'Huez] and any of the other content on GCN+"

So why are we wasting time reading this?
Because hope spring eternal here in the Pacific Northwest?

Discovery can't be seeing many upsell subs from existing GCN members as with less than 5 days to go before closure Now is the time they start sending the "valued customer" subscription offers out.

One thing I hadn't considered is of course GCN website keeps going with all your details/login credentials etc. So who is paying to maintain that ?

There's an article up on the Cyclingnews main page now, according to which in the USA, parts of the races formerly streams by GCN+ will move over to (HBO) MAX:

With less than a week to go before cycling live streaming service ends for good, GCN+ owners Warner Bros Discovery announced that they will begin broadcasting live cycling events starting in February on Max and TNT Sports including 53 women's races.

Subscribers to Max in the USA will need to purchase the B/R Sports add-on to view the live cycling roster, which, according to the press release, will include more than 300 events including the Giro d'Italia, the E3 Saxo Bank Classic, Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne and "more".

This is the message that I got: They they will refund me my money of whatever remaining balance I have and I have to buy a new subscription to MAX. But I already have Max. maybe I don't need to pay anything?

Dear GCN+ Subscriber,

We are sending you this email to remind you that unfortunately the GCN+ service and the GCN app will close on 19 December 2023.

As a reminder, your GCN+ subscription will end and you will be unable to access the GCN+ service and GCN app starting on 19 December 2023. You will be provided with a refund for any amounts that you have paid in advance for access to the service after the closure date. Refunds will be applied to the payment method used to purchase the subscription. You can still use your GCN log in credentials on the GCN website at globalcyclingnetwork.com and the GCN Shop at shop.globalcyclingnetwork.com.  Your personal data will continue to be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.  If you have additional questions, you can reach our customer service team here.

We’re happy to announce that starting in February 2024, an expansive roster of 300+ of the biggest live races across Road, Mountain Bike, Track, BMX and Cyclocross — including the Giro d’Italia, Classics, Mountain Bike World Series & UCI Track Champions League — will be available for U.S. Max subscribers via the B/R Sports Add-On.

Max’s B/R Sports Add-On offers exceptional value with the widest range of premium live sports content included such as the MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA Men’s March Madness, U.S. Soccer, 24 Hours of Le Mans and a variety of non-live sports programming to appeal to every fan. Read the official announcement here.

Thank you for being a GCN+ subscriber, we are grateful for your support.

Sincerely,
The GCN Team

I am so confused now!
so they will broadcast something but now you need a subscription to HBO max?
Giro d'italia will be with GCN+? and women races?
I’m not sure. It says you need to get the particular “add-on” to Max to get them. So does that you would 1) need to pay to subscribe to Max and 2) pay for that particular add-on?

ed. I can’t seem to link to the full press release with additional details, but you can open the link in the Tweet.

Last edited:
I’m not sure. It says you need to get the particular “add-on” to Max to get them. So does that you would 1) need to pay to subscribe to Max and 2) pay for that particular add-on?
yeah, that's what it says on the MAX website. It's included for free until the end of February, but then you'll need to pay:

The B/R Sports Add-on is available to all Max subscribers on us for a limited time! This means that Max subscribers can watch select live sports through February 29, 2024. After the promotional period ends on February 29, 2024, you can add the B/R Sports Add-on starting at $9.99/month (when billed through us). Base subscription will be required. Pricing and availability of the B/R Sports Add-on after the promotional period will vary by subscription provider.

The base subscription itself starts at $9.99/month as well, as far as I can see.

Here's what I got from them in regard to the UK today

The good news is that live cycling races are available on discovery+. As a gesture of our appreciation and to compensate you for the inconvenience of the closure of GCN+, we would like to offer you a voucher code to discovery+. With this voucher you will get a subscription to the Standard plan of discovery+ for the first 3 months at no cost starting from the date of your code redemption. xxxxxx must be redeemed at https://auth.discoveryplus.com/redeem by 31 Dec 2023. After the promotional period your subscription will convert to a paid subscription and will automatically renew each month at the then-current monthly price (now £6.99) inclusive of VAT, unless cancelled prior to renewal. Terms and Conditions* apply.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
Here's what I got from them in regard to the UK today

The good news is that live cycling races are available on discovery+. As a gesture of our appreciation and to compensate you for the inconvenience of the closure of GCN+, we would like to offer you a voucher code to discovery+. With this voucher you will get a subscription to the Standard plan of discovery+ for the first 3 months at no cost starting from the date of your code redemption. xxxxxx must be redeemed at https://auth.discoveryplus.com/redeem by 31 Dec 2023. After the promotional period your subscription will convert to a paid subscription and will automatically renew each month at the then-current monthly price (now £6.99) inclusive of VAT, unless cancelled prior to renewal. Terms and Conditions* apply.
Appreciated, but they would have done their PR some good by having said that at the time of the announcement. In a while we will remember the shutdown and price doubling more than this.

yeah, that's what it says on the MAX website. It's included for free until the end of February, but then you'll need to pay:

The B/R Sports Add-on is available to all Max subscribers on us for a limited time! This means that Max subscribers can watch select live sports through February 29, 2024. After the promotional period ends on February 29, 2024, you can add the B/R Sports Add-on starting at $9.99/month (when billed through us). Base subscription will be required. Pricing and availability of the B/R Sports Add-on after the promotional period will vary by subscription provider.

The base subscription itself starts at $9.99/month as well, as far as I can see.
Unless you are in Canada, in which case you get the error message, 'not available in your area.' But then, who cares about us Canadian cycling fans?