• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rob Hatch

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In short - formation.
I assume you are Dutch? I take it you have the same word in mind that is called Bildung in German and dannelse in Danish, which as far as I know have no direct counterpart in English.
But what is the correct way of pronouncing a name?
In general, I'd say the authoritative source on the proper pronunciation of a name is the giver of the name.

Now, in this specific context I agree with you that the best way to pronounce a name should be so that it is not too alien to the average listener, but I also think the commentator has a responsibility to cultivate the audience, especially when they are the ones to introduce certain names to them.

I just generally find the whole breaking your nationality down into parts to be a bit silly. Like, I MIGHT have some German ancestry - my paternal grandfather was, technically, born in Germany (or, I think it was still called Prussia at the time) - if that turns out to be true, I'm not gonna be putting numbers to it.

There goes that citizenship out the window.

Surely you were only born in one country...
Place of birth is only one, sometimes rather insignificant, factor in somebody's national identity.

In general, I'd say the authoritative source on the proper pronunciation of a name is the giver of the name.
So if there were two García s, one from Andalusia and the other from Asturias, they should be given different pronunciations. Should we be saying Dan Martin's name with the longer, depressed sounding a of a Birmingham accent?

My godmother had a son called Ian, but she always pronounced it "Een": is she the giver of the name or was her husband?

Appreciation of a language/accent is not the same as, nor always compatible with, imitation of it. Clarity is a more desirable quality in a commentator than showing off.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I just generally find the whole breaking your nationality down into parts to be a bit silly. Like, I MIGHT have some German ancestry - my paternal grandfather was, technically, born in Germany (or, I think it was still called Prussia at the time) - if that turns out to be true, I'm not gonna be putting numbers to it.

Technically I am half-Dutch... practically I can say "hi" and "ik hou van je" (and Kop van de Wedstrijd).

• Wow
So if there were two García s, one from Andalusia and the other from Asturias, they should be given different pronunciations. Should we be saying Dan Martin's name with the longer, depressed sounding a of a Birmingham accent?

My godmother had a son called Ian, but she always pronounced it "Een": is she the giver of the name or was her husband?

Appreciation of a language/accent is not the same as, nor always compatible with, imitation of it. Clarity is a more desirable quality in a commentator than showing off.
If the aim is to pronounce the name most accurately, yes. If there are multiple givers of the name, I'd think they have a common understanding of what the name is (as in the sound it takes). At least here, when people are baptized, the name is said aloud by the parents.

I also agree that clarity is important for a commentator. So the optimal pronunciation for a commentator depends on the audience, sure.

Another New rule from UCI! First valid for all in propeloton (riders and DS's) and for all newbes after. Make a short recording with your own voice: "My name is...., but my friends call me...." Not mandatory: "My Mom calls me...." All those following the rule will be called with their right name...

Reactions: RedheadDane
how about some respect for paying viewers
So let me get this straight - because you are paying for the service you demand that foreign names are pronounced wrongly? In what way is that respect for paying viewer? Maybe if paying viewer is not capable of understanding foreign names, he should not be following international sports… it’s clearly too complicated for “the paying viewer”.

But what bothers me the most in all your postings, is the nationalistic vibe I’m getting from them. For instance:

His description of the city of Milan on the Giro was so 'passionate' I thought he was going to have an orgasm on air. Calm down Rob it is only a city

If I understand correctly, here you are not bothered by the pronunciation anymore but simply by Rob Hatch being too passionate about the foreign city? I think I know what’s going on here…

Edit: Found out the last of your series of gem posts:
I'll switch the sound down and read the subtitles and leave you Europhile to speak among yourselves!
So yeah, that pretty much confirms what I suspected. It’s the so called Europhillia that really bothers you isn’t it? Well that’s too bad because in cycling there’s going to be a lot of Europe for you to swallow…

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
Visit site
So let me get this straight - because you are paying for the service you demand that foreign names are pronounced wrongly? In what way is that respect for paying viewer? Maybe if paying viewer is not capable of understanding foreign names, he should not be following international sports… it’s clearly too complicated for “the paying viewer”.

But what bothers me the most in all your postings, is the nationalistic vibe I’m getting from them. For instance:

If I understand correctly, here you are not bothered by the pronunciation anymore but simply by Rob Hatch being too passionate about the foreign city? I think I know what’s going on here…
It seems I have the only post on this thread that comments on watching a bike race. Most of the thread is a fight between different European countries about which pronunciation is correct. It has gone from my comment on me being unable to understand the names of riders and teams when Hatch is reporting on the peleton in French, Italian and Spanish so rapidly that it is just a garbled mess.
Now we are into linguistic pedantics. But in the end, up comes the European old chestnut of 'nationalistic English'. This is my last post because it has gone way off course. I will just read the subtitles. Enjoy your petty squabbles!

You were the one who started this thread with a petty squabble...
I sometimes watch races in a completely different language - neither Danish nor English - in those cases the names are pretty much the only thing I can understand.
You can't even understand the names with English commentating if they aren't being pronounced in the English way?
But, yeah... I do agree that going down to how names are pronounced on regional basis is a bit silly.

The fact this is here and "." got demoted is a sad day.

I agree in that sometimes all you recognize is the name. For the pronunciation I think it's good to pronounce how that nation would pronounce or try too. Heck take Kruijswijk for example, I'd have no idea how to pronounce or proper pronunciation.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I didn't realize Ronde van Vlaanderen and Tour of Flanders was the same race for a couple months reading this forum. Then I thought everything that had the word "tour" in it was a stage race and one day races were like Paris-Roubaix.
Imagine if the Commonwealth Bank Cycling Classic was still around.

Place of birth is only one, sometimes rather insignificant, factor in somebody's national identity.

On the topic of accents, should we be pronouncing Bevin as Bivven?

Last edited:
  • Haha

TRENDING THREADS