• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sagan Clean?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@ Kokoso

"Nice adoration?" I would say more like an authentic discernment of Sagan's attributes. Adoration would describe the Froome disciples who worship him and the Temple of Sky. Have you ever read any of the CN comments on Froome/Sky news items? I guess Froome's autobiography can have a profound effect. But Froome is very special...as no one can claim a Miracle transformation quite like him:

As everyone here knows, Froome prior to 2011 showed absolutely nothing; no climbing ability, no sprinting ability, no TT ability, no classics ability, no wins, etc. That year in the Tour de Suisse he finishes 47th. A few months later at the Tour of Poland he finishes 85th. And a month after that at the Vuelta, he finishes 2nd by only 13 seconds to pure climber Juan Cobo in a very mountainous GT. He also destroyed Denis Menchov (5th), who has a known history of blood doping, by over 3 1/2 mins. Talk about an overnight sensation! Lol. Isn't this highly suspicious of high-octane doping or a motor, or both?

Where do we see any of this with Sagan? He's shown no ability to consistently climb high-catagorized mountains (i.e., he can't climb anything like two other big guys could in Big Mig & Santiago Botero). He's no good at TTs (is his motor or high-octane PEDs not kicking in? Lol). He also didn't start out as an average rider and have a suspicious sudden, rapid jump in performance. And evidence of low-octane PEDs? Possibly, maybe, and all that...but how would we actually know for sure other than a pre-conceived notion by some that most everyone in the peloton is using some form of PEDs (maybe true though if non-banned drugs are included).

So, why can't Sagan be a natural talent winning without the aid of a motor or high-octane PEDs? You said yourself he won the Slovakian MTB cup at age 17 on his sister's crap bike. Couldn't that be a sign of natural talent? I'm involved in the T&F arena and I've seen young teenagers with little running background run 100, 200, & 400m sprints for the first time near top conference times. I've seen a 13 year old a few years back run a mile in a time that would put him near state qualifing time. These youngsters aren't all on dope...it's called genetics and natural talent. It does occur...at least in the running world. And on the LeMond thread, it's been mentioned by some that he's an "outlier" over the contraversy that he's never used PEDs in his career. It's been said he's a naturally talented athlete who demonstrated impressive ability very early in his career. According to some, LeMond won clean beating known dopers. Therefore, why couldn't this "outlier" classification apply to Sagan, or is this status only reserved for LeMond?

No need to get too annoyed --- just a personal opinion; nothing more...nothing less. :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
sniper said:
red_flanders said:
sniper said:
While I agree Froome is generally a more suspect rider, at present there is more tangible motorevidence for Sagan (as per the Stade 2 docu) than for Froome.

We already know via Cancellara that having big legs and big power doesn't mean a rider won't use a motor too.

We "know" Cancellara used a motor?

I still have seen no "tangible evidence" of Sagan using a motor in the Stade 2 documentary. Can you link me to the part where they show the motor footage with the thermal cam which they attribute to the 4th place rider? I didn't see where they showed this.
I don't think there is anybody who both (a) has seen all the moto-evidence for cance and (b) thinks he didn't use a motor.

Point taken wrt Sagan. It's not really tangible if we don't actually get to see it. That said, I personally have little reason to doubt the Stade 2 findings, which include a suspicious heat spot on the bike of the guy who finished 4th at Strade B. A heat spot for which a motor is by far the most straightfirward explanation.

Definitely a difference between thinking he used a motor and using the notion that you "know" he did to make further assumptions about someone with his general body type.

I think when it's all said and done there will be some sad revelations, but for me there isn't anywhere near enough evidence to say we "know" certain riders have been using motors.
yeah, fair enough of course.
I shouldn't have said "we know".

Still, having reviewed most of the evidence myself back in the "the motorized bike exists!" thread (imo still the best thread as far as the motor discussion is concerned), I can say i'm pretty confident Cance used a motor. I remember from the discussions I had there, the people who said "no way Cance used a motor" usually hadn't reviewed all the evidence.

Either way, the argument that (paraphrasing) "guys with big strong legs don't need motors to make those crazy-looking seated accellerations" is besides the point, imo.
It's like saying small talented climbers like Pantani don't need EPO.

sniper said:
red_flanders said:
sniper said:
While I agree Froome is generally a more suspect rider, at present there is more tangible motorevidence for Sagan (as per the Stade 2 docu) than for Froome.

We already know via Cancellara that having big legs and big power doesn't mean a rider won't use a motor too.

I still have seen no "tangible evidence" of Sagan using a motor in the Stade 2 documentary. Can you link me to the part where they show the motor footage with the thermal cam which they attribute to the 4th place rider? I didn't see where they showed this.
I don't think there is anybody who both (a) has seen all the moto-evidence for cance and (b) thinks he didn't use a motor.

Point taken wrt Sagan. It's not really tangible if we don't actually get to see it. That said, I personally have little reason to doubt the Stade 2 findings, which include a suspicious heat spot on the bike of the guy who finished 4th at Strade B. A heat spot for which a motor is by far the most straightfirward explanation.

Are you sure that was a finding of the Stade 2 investigation? I watched it twice and don't remember them ever specifically saying that a guy finishing 4th at Strade Bianche was suspicious. I think there maybe some misunderstanding here. It would be headline news everywhere if they would have basically called out Sagan (more or less by name) like that.

It doesn't really make sense anyway. If Sagan were using a motor at Strade Bianche, I don't think he would have cracked big time on the last climb. Surely he would either have been using the motor at that stage, or he would have been fresher than the others having saved his legs throughout the day, and would have been fine on the climb? Perhaps unless he uses a motor all the time and needs it to even compete; i.e. he can only put out about 350w at V02 max without one. And he's been motoring around for 10+ years.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
sniper said:
red_flanders said:
sniper said:

Are you sure that was a finding of the Stade 2 investigation? I watched it twice and don't remember them ever specifically saying that a guy finishing 4th at Strade Bianche was suspicious. I think there maybe some misunderstanding here. It would be headline news everywhere if they would have basically called out Sagan (more or less by name) like that.

It doesn't really make sense anyway. If Sagan were using a motor at Strade Bianche, I don't think he would have cracked big time on the last climb. Surely he would either have been using the motor at that stage, or he would have been fresher than the others having saved his legs throughout the day, and would have been fine on the climb? Perhaps unless he uses a motor all the time and needs it to even compete; i.e. he can only put out about 350w at V02 max without one. And he's been motoring around for 10+ years.
Here you go:
viewtopic.php?p=2035770#p2035770

And mind, we don't really know how the motors work, how long they last, what the limitations are, what kind of boost they give, how much bikechanging is involved, what types of systrms there are, whether they work differently on flat vs. uphill, etc., so all your objections above are rather moot.
In procycling nothing ever makes much sense. Until we get to see the full picture. But usually we're not that lucky.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Nomad said:
@ Kokoso

"Nice adoration?" I would say more like an authentic discernment of Sagan's attributes. Adoration would describe the Froome disciples who worship him and the Temple of Sky. Have you ever read any of the CN comments on Froome/Sky news items? I guess Froome's autobiography can have a profound effect. But Froome is very special...as no one can claim a Miracle transformation quite like him:

As everyone here knows, Froome prior to 2011 showed absolutely nothing; no climbing ability, no sprinting ability, no TT ability, no classics ability, no wins, etc. That year in the Tour de Suisse he finishes 47th. A few months later at the Tour of Poland he finishes 85th. And a month after that at the Vuelta, he finishes 2nd by only 13 seconds to pure climber Juan Cobo in a very mountainous GT. He also destroyed Denis Menchov (5th), who has a known history of blood doping, by over 3 1/2 mins. Talk about an overnight sensation! Lol. Isn't this highly suspicious of high-octane doping or a motor, or both?

Where do we see any of this with Sagan? He's shown no ability to consistently climb high-catagorized mountains (i.e., he can't climb anything like two other big guys could in Big Mig & Santiago Botero). He's no good at TTs (is his motor or high-octane PEDs not kicking in? Lol). He also didn't start out as an average rider and have a suspicious sudden, rapid jump in performance. And evidence of low-octane PEDs? Possibly, maybe, and all that...but how would we actually know for sure other than a pre-conceived notion by some that most everyone in the peloton is using some form of PEDs (maybe true though if non-banned drugs are included).

So, why can't Sagan be a natural talent winning without the aid of a motor or high-octane PEDs? You said yourself he won the Slovakian MTB cup at age 17 on his sister's crap bike. Couldn't that be a sign of natural talent? I'm involved in the T&F arena and I've seen young teenagers with little running background run 100, 200, & 400m sprints for the first time near top conference times. I've seen a 13 year old a few years back run a mile in a time that would put him near state qualifing time. These youngsters aren't all on dope...it's called genetics and natural talent. It does occur...at least in the running world. And on the LeMond thread, it's been mentioned by some that he's an "outlier" over the contraversy that he's never used PEDs in his career. It's been said he's a naturally talented athlete who demonstrated impressive ability very early in his career. According to some, LeMond won clean beating known dopers. Therefore, why couldn't this "outlier" classification apply to Sagan, or is this status only reserved for LeMond?

No need to get too annoyed --- just a personal opinion; nothing more...nothing less. :)

Isn't this highly suspicious of high-octane doping or a motor, or both?
:confused: I've already said Froome is one of the most suspicious out there in previous post. Looks like you either don't even read the others posts or maybe you do but aren't really here to exchange opinions, just to go on with your agenda, ignoring the others. Basically it can be the same. In other words:looks like you aren't here to acknowledge why Sagan could be suspicious, you are here just to prove why he isn't suspicious. As you can probably undrestand, such ignorant behaviour dissuades me from further discussion with you.

Based on your argumentation I don't see any difference between Froome and Sagan. Both are winning races that suit them, only Froome began to win in later age, Sagan in younger age. But Froome is suspicious to you while Sagan is not...strange.

P.S. so even you acknowledge that in track and field there aren't 17 years old boys beating men. Sagan's story is actually about WINNING all pro's in top Slovakian competition at age 17 on borrowed sister's old bike. That just supports my point actually, so what are you arguing about? Add to it how important bike is in cycling :) - you don't have pro's winning at old bikes - and it is one of those miraculous stories.
P.P.S. as you've surely noticed, LeMond is suspicious to many people, so argumenting with doesn't make much sense, not good example.

Kokoso said:
Nomad said:
@ Kokoso

Isn't this highly suspicious of high-octane doping or a motor, or both?
:confused: I've already said Froome is one of the most suspicious out there in previous post. Looks like you either don't even read the others posts or maybe you do but aren't really here to exchange opinions, just to go on with your agenda, ignoring the others. Basically it can be the same. In other words:looks like you aren't here to acknowledge why Sagan could be suspicious, you are here just to prove why he isn't suspicious. As you can probably undrestand, such ignorant behaviour dissuades me from further discussion with you.

Based on your argumentation I don't see any difference between Froome and Sagan. Both are winning races that suit them, only Froome began to win in later age, Sagan in younger age. But Froome is suspicious to you while Sagan is not...strange.

P.S. so even you acknowledge that in track and field there aren't 17 years old boys beating men. Sagan's story is actually about WINNING all pro's in top Slovakian competition at age 17 on borrowed sister's old bike. That just supports my point actually, so what are you arguing about? Add to it how important bike is in cycling :) - you don't have pro's winning at old bikes - and it is one of those miraculous stories.
P.P.S. as you've surely noticed, LeMond is suspicious to many people, so argumenting with doesn't make much sense, not good example.
"As you can probably undrestand, such ignorant behaviour dissuades me from further discussion with you."

No, I don't understand...so why do you then continue further discussion? I initially responed to the YouTube video posted by "Tienus," and the next day you jumped in and so pretentiously ridiculed my post, and you're now complaining about my "ignorant behavior?" Really?

No agenda...IMO, not as suspicious as some others, especially compared to Froome --- expressed "my" thoughts on this many times throughout this thread (sorry that they conflict with your's). If a young athlete who demonstrates talent at an early age and comes on the scene winning on courses and disciplines that suits his style & body type - and such is considered by you as sufficient evidence of using PEDs and/or motors...then so be it. Question: does young talent with great success ALWAYS equal doping and/or motors in the "cycling" world? Maybe it does...I wouldn't know.

On LeMond: I think it is good example. Go back and look at the threads...some have pointed out and explained the "outlier" concept that they believe is the case with LeMond. My question was why not then with others riders that could fall within this spectrum. Simple question in relation to Sagan's case.

And sorry to disappoint, but there are teenage boys in T&F beating "men." I merely gave you some examples of young undeveloped talent that I'm familiar with here in my community. If you want some big-time stuff; there's 17 yr old Timothy Kitum of Kenya who finished with the Bronze medal in the 800m in London where Rudisha set the WR. He beat plenty of much older grown men throughout the prelims and up to the final. In the same race, 18 yr old Nigel Amos of Botswana got the Silver. And this year at Rio, Ali Khamis (18) of Bahrain finished 5th in the 400m. Good genetics with a commitment to disciplined training at a young age.

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't want to be an ass hole but can we please keep this thread Sagan related there already are many Froome related threads. It is this obsession against Sky and Froome that makes people blind to the rest. People like Hayman who miraculously come back from an injury to beat a Boonen in top shape, Sagan who miraculously is able to now generate the same Watts a pro MTBer like Shurter/Absalon do after 220km of racing, Ryder Hesjedal a rider close to 70 kg being able to keep up with 56 kg Rodriguez or 61 kg Scarponi up Mortirolo and the Stelvio...etc

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ThePopeOfDope said:
I don't want to be an *** hole but can we please keep this thread Sagan related there already are many Froome related threads.
Thank you. Hopefully Nomad will stop bringing Froome again and again now when he hears that from more people.

It is this obsession against Sky and Froome that makes people blind to the rest.
I'd say partly. The other part is that Sagan fanboys feel that he's suspicious thus try to divert attention elsewhere. Yet another part is that they don't want to see their idol as a suspicious rider so they made up arguments why he isn't based on comparison with different rider.

It can be combination of all this aspects.

Some are willing to deny what TO WIN means to prove their point ;) 3rd won, 5th won...

Edit: seeing this thread actually Froome's fans don't look so bad to me now. Sagan's are the new Froome's fans :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
The Tinkoff mechanic does not like being filmed during a bike swap.

https://twitter.com/francetvsport/status/622775487690108928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20150719_01782998
Peter Sagan wisselde op zo’n 36 km van de finish van fiets. 'Omdat ik voor de sprint een andere fiets nodig had”, verklaarde Sagan na afloop.

Peter Sagan changed bikes about 36 km from the finish line. "Because I needed another bike for the sprint," Sagan said afterwards.

Lol, nice find.
Reminds me of that movistar footage, where the mechanics picked up a damaged bike whilst shouting "hide it, make sure nobody sees it".

@yaco: look up the word "strawman", then try to use less of them.

Re:

Mr.38% said:
Yes, but did he use a downtube shifter???

Thats not nescessary on modern day bikes as they are light enough. Sagan even used a custom solid steel spindle in the past.

You can work out how much the frame weights if you add up the components as listed:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-peter-sagans-cannondale-synapse-hi-mod/

While you are at that page have a look at the video of the mechanic, or should I say bottle thrower?
At 3:10 he explains why Sagan won on Marangoni's bike. He then explains the same thing happened the year before when Sagan finished second.
Sagan must like Marangoni's bike as he also used it at Paris Roubaix 2014. Allthough it was only one of the four bikes he used during the race.
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/26412/peter-sagan-ik-mag-niet-ontevreden-zijn.html

Back to Harelbeke 2014
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen/2.32213/1.1919122#
If you look below the results and report there is a timeline. At the bottom you can click "toon alle berichten".
There is a video at 15:35. With 69km to go Sagan is changing to at least his third bike as there is no number on the one he left behind. And this is before he swaps to Marangoni's bike.
Apparantly its a good spot as Vanmarcke is also changing bikes in the video. I'm not sure about the sky rider as the camera passes to quick.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Exciting.
Shiploads of food for thought in those last couple of posts.

All adds nicely to the Stade 2 documentary showing Cookson footage of a glowing bike of the rider who finished fourth at Strade Bianchi (Sagan).

Cookson's face there. Epic. Someone should GIF it.

And after that, not a single word from Cookson on the issue.
Go figure.

Re:

Tienus said:

Peter Sagan wisselde op zo’n 36 km van de finish van fiets. 'Omdat ik voor de sprint een andere fiets nodig had”, verklaarde Sagan na afloop.

Peter Sagan changed bikes about 36 km from the finish line. "Because I needed another bike for the sprint," Sagan said afterwards.
Why not googling some basic info about the incident before coming with your breakthrough ideas? You would find out it was not due to filming them.

Tienus said:
Back to Harelbeke 2014
If you look below the results and report there is a timeline. At the bottom you can click "toon alle berichten".
There is a video at 15:35. With 69km to go Sagan is changing to at least his third bike as there is no number on the one he left behind. And this is before he swaps to Marangoni's bike.
Apparantly its a good spot as Vanmarcke is also changing bikes in the video. I'm not sure about the sky rider as the camera passes to quick.
In Harelbeke 2014 Sagan was involved in big crash 100km from start and had to take Marangoni's bike - arguably the only with the same size. After 40 km he changed back to his.
You can read that it was Marangoni's role to give Sagan his bike here http://www.thepelotonbrief.com/alan-marangoni-paris-roubaix/

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

PeterB said:
Tienus said:

Why not googling some basic info about the incident before coming with your breakthrough ideas? You would find out it was not due to filming them.
true, i remember this. It was about the camera crew parking their motor almost on top of Sagan.

No need for the cynisism though.
Tienus is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, notably without drawing any conclusions.
Simply providing food for thought and discussion.
As always, certain things may obviously turn out to be more alarming than other things.

PeterB said:
Tienus said:

I did.
This is what Sagan said
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkoff-saxo-director-yates-ejected-from-tour-de-france-for-bottle-toss/
"The video camera was there and he was shoving past me. My car was behind the motorbike, the motorbike stopped 10m from me and he blocked the car. Everyone was angry. The mechanic just threw the bottle," Sagan said to French Eurosport.

And this is what I see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BVlfB7wW4
To me it looks like they dont want the camera crew hanging around.

This is an interview after the bidon throw stage.
http://www.nbcsports.com/video/peter-sagan-explains-bike-change-stage-15

Sagan claims he changed a lighter climbing bike for an aero bike which would be better for the sprint. He actually changed his 2015 venge aerobike with sprint shifters for a model 2016 venge aerobike. The motorcycle was behind him in an awkward spot but it never stopped as Sagan claimed. Sagan touching his ear and looking away are body language signs that he is lying.

2015 venge
https://www.cyclingforums.com/threads/velonews-pro-bike-gallery-peter-sagan%E2%80%99s-specialized-tarmac.444890/
2016 venge
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-peter-sagans-tour-de-france-specialized-venge-vias/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9TQxPESrQ
At 9:30 you can clearly see its the venge 2015

PeterB said:
Tienus said:
Back to Harelbeke 2014
In Harelbeke 2014 Sagan was involved in big crash 100km from start and had to take Marangoni's bike - arguably the only with the same size. After 40 km he changed back to his.
You can read that it was Marangoni's role to give Sagan his bike here http://www.thepelotonbrief.com/alan-marangoni-paris-roubaix/

Both Bodnar and Marangoni are in that role according to the team. In Harelbeke Sagan was not on the bike Marangoni started with as there was no number on it.

I did not google much but what I found is that Sagan does not often finish on the bike he started on. I cant even find an example in one of his best races.
Previous Cancellara and Contador have been querried about bike changes while riding for the same team.

Tienus said:
PeterB said:
Tienus said:
Back to Harelbeke 2014

Both Bodnar and Marangoni are in that role according to the team. In Harelbeke Sagan was not on the bike Marangoni started with as there was no number on it.

I did not google much but what I found is that Sagan does not often finish on the bike he started on. I cant even find an example in one of his best races.
Previous Cancellara and Contador have been querried about bike changes while riding for the same team.
Altough I do not think it is relevant for the point you are trying to make, but how can you tell that there was no number on the bike Sagan changed from 69.7 km to go? Unless there is any better view at another time, at the moment of change it is very difficult to see due to passing cars but I think at one moment in which Sagan lifts the bike the number is visible:
fcc59998b2.png

Tienus said:
And I was also curious about this claim so I checked and found out rather quickly that in his both best races in Richmond and RVV '16 he finished with a number on his bike, whatever that may mean for whether he finished on his starting bike.
Sagan-Merckx-Lookalike.jpg

Kramon_Richmond2015_UCIworlds_EliteMen_DSC5472-Version-2-1024x600.jpg