• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Samuel Samu Sanchez official awesomness thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Samu but I think Euskaltel will do quite badly in the ttt. I don't see it turning out to be good for Samu. I also fear for him during the 1st week that he will lose time and that he doesn't have guys who can keep him up the front out of danger in the crosswinds.

A weaker team lost 1.13 to the strongest team at the giro. They should do a tad better here i think. But even if they do lose that, he easily take that from the wiggo, Evans, vdvs and martins of the peloton I'n the mountains. A disadvantage yes, deal breaker no chance.

As for the first week, he used to be one of the best classics rider I'n the world, he won't lose much or any time there.

And for the wind, the advantage of a team is
A) cause carnage I'n the peloton
B) strong enough to bring it back together if their leader misses the cut.
Eusk can fo neither I'll concede, but a select few can.
But my point is Samu won't need his team if he rides attentively and at the front of the peloton. He has enough experience to know where he has to be.
It requires an error for him to lose here or a moment of poor concentration, it isn't valid to expect this.

He should be fine after the first week no problem .

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
A weaker team lost 1.13 to the strongest team at the giro. They should do a tad better here i think. But even if they do lose that, he easily take that from the wiggo, Evans, vdvs and martins of the peloton I'n the mountains. A disadvantage yes, deal breaker no chance. As for the first week, he used to be one of the best classics rider I'n the world, he won't lose much or any time there.

And for the wind, the advantage of a team is
A) cause carnage I'n the peloton
B) strong enough to bring it back together if their leader misses the cut.
Eusk can fo neither I'll concede, but a select few can.
But my point is Samu won't need his team if he rides attentively and at the front of the peloton. He has enough experience to know where he has to be.
It requires an error for him to lose here or a moment of poor concentration, it isn't valid to expect this.

He should be fine after the first week no problem .

In your opinion he will be easily able to do that. Hypothetically lets say he does then he still has Gesink, Schleck and Contador to bring back time to so I still don't see a podium for him let alone a top 5.

euskaltel_1.jpg

Hitch this picture will be my next avatar. Love it! Great opening to your thread too!

Big, big Samu and Euskaltel fan here. It is well within his talents to make the podium this year. Samu has shown a steady progression in his rise up the Tour gc. Samu standing on the podium would make my cycling year a great one. Go Sammie!!

auscyclefan94 said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Samu but I think Euskaltel will do quite badly in the ttt. I don't see it turning out to be good for Samu. I also fear for him during the 1st week that he will lose time and that he doesn't have guys who can keep him up the front out of danger in the crosswinds.

Didn't you just say in the Tour TTT thread that you don't think that the "differences will be overly significant"? Was that just applying to BMC or all the teams?:confused:

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know with Samu. Euskaltel with or without Samu in a GT, is two different teams. Without Samu, they'll provide the entertainment and try to win their moments of glory by riding the beautiful way. But since Samu can do a bit of TT, they no longer ride beatiful. Instead their objectives is to protect Samu, support him whenever he needs it, and deliver him safely to mountains.

That is not the way an eleven year old wants to win the races. :D

auscyclefan94 said:
In your opinion he will be easily able to do that. Hypothetically lets say he does then he still has Gesink, Schleck and Contador to bring back time to so I still don't see a podium for him let alone a top 5.

Samu has already proven that he can beat Gesink by a significant margin in the mountains. I for one hope he'll do it again.

He doesn't have to bring back time to Contador and baby Schleck for a podium finish.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Hitch you really are the master of the overblown thread intro. Chapeau! :D

While I have a thing for orange cycling shirts and the Orbea Orca in black and orange is a work of art sculpted by artisans working in a collective and Samu's descending can be a sight to behold - I am bothered by one small issue - just how many minutes did he lose to Bradley Wiggins in climbs on the Dauphine?

Assuming he wasnt there to win ;) - how many would he like to have lost in ideal circumstances?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Didn't you just say in the Tour TTT thread that you don't think that the "differences will be overly significant"? Was that just applying to BMC or all the teams?:confused:

ssshhh no one is supposed to remember that ;)

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Samu has already proven that he can beat Gesink by a significant margin in the mountains. I for one hope he'll do it again.

He doesn't have to bring back time to Contador and baby Schleck for a podium finish.
A dutchy who preffers Samu over Gesink.

Im starting to like you:p

Winterfold said:
Hitch you really are the master of the overblown thread intro. Chapeau! :D

While I have a thing for orange cycling shirts and the Orbea Orca in black and orange is a work of art sculpted by artisans working in a collective and Samu's descending can be a sight to behold - I am bothered by one small issue - just how many minutes did he lose to Bradley Wiggins in climbs on the Dauphine?

Assuming he wasnt there to win - how many would he like to have lost in ideal circumstances?

Yes Dauphine was bad, and it worries me. More worrying his decent final placing - 16th was down to his limiting losses in the weaker warmup stages and he totally failed in the mountains.

but all that can be done is to wait for the TDF and see if he has form then.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I like Samu. The TTT will hurt his chances, but otherwise hope he does well. I can't wait to see Hitch's post then. :)

Ill remember who my friends were;)

A

Anonymous

I hope he gets in the top 3 this TDF, it would be cool to see Euskaltel on the podium in Paris.

A

Anonymous

DenisMenchov said:
Why???

I it would be cool to see Cofidis, or Europcar, but Euskaltel, is a really good team.

I DON`T like EUSKALTEL

Well, for a start..i follow euskaltel ..btw you are entitle to disagree :D

Unless you're a fan of sprints, cobbles, time trials, or bike handling, I cannot see any reason why anybody wouldn't love Euskaltel. Always willing to add a bit of colour to the péloton, whether it be through the bright optimism of their endless attacks, the bright orange of their jersey, or the bright red of the road rash they inevitably acquire.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yes Dauphine was bad, and it worries me. More worrying his decent final placing - 16th was down to his limiting losses in the weaker warmup stages and he totally failed in the mountains.

Im not worried about his Dauphine showing at all. If nothing, he has shown year after year that he knows how to tune his form, and show up big in races he is targeting. I think he is one of the stronger cyclists in that regard in fact. His losses come from poor positioning and natural limitations as a cyclist, not mistimed peak conditioning.

His relatively poor showing might be explained by the fact that it is a pretty "backloaded" tour, so he might want to leave the absolute peak for later in the race.