• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sergio Henao

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
And i'll repeat. For Sky or Henao's agent to know there are anomalies in his passport from October 2013 and Jan 2014 out of competition blood tests in early March 2014, UCI has already analysed and not seen any anomalies. I guess they could forward the passport data to a team before it's been analysed, but not sure what the benefits would be even if you wanted to hide information or protect a team. You just need to hide the information and protect the team, why share information that doesn't yet need to be shared?

Again you have no understanding how the passport works. Its about longitude values, not one off tests. The UCI (CADF) does not open a passport case until its satisfied there is liner line showing a significant drop or rise in blood parameters.

Lets start again. Heano was tested OOC, the value was of concern, why? Because Sky knew the previous passport test just like with JTL would register an issue once he came back down to sea level and was tested again at TA. Of course the UCI didn't see a one off anomaly at altitude, why? Because the passport doesn't look at one test in the passport. Also because Sky withdrew him from racing and sent him straight back to altitude. Sky knew what was coming next if he was tested at TA (sea level), his values would have been too high and a case would have been opened.

Then his agent (accidently?) dropped the story as Sky were trying to circumvent the passport by sending him back to altitude in Colombia. Why? Because when tested at altitude since returning form sea level the first test back is noted on the passport is at a lesser sensitivity.

The natives/report story was used only to cover off what the agent had said. Otherwise no one would know. All that would have occurred was Heano was withdrawn from racing due to "injury".

Do you get it now?

Here's some help:

As a reminder the bio passport is a record of an athlete’s hematological parameters. A variety of measures are taken when a rider is tested and these are all logged into a database and over time a “longitudinal profile” is established. Unlike the binary positive or negative of toxicology testing where a lab tests for banned substances, the passport looks at changes in levels, using logic and mathematics, for example Bayesian statistics, to look for anomalies.

http://inrng.com/2015/05/stade-2-bio-passport-old-news/

Since Heano came back and has been subject to more testing he has tripped the wire because his values were too high and then too low just like JTL.

On altitude:

In response, passport analysts use a complicated formula to account for altitude, the athlete’s genetic background, and other environmental factors when parsing passport data. But given the risk of false positives, the analysis is made deliberately insensitive. The current standard is a 1-in1,000 sensitivity, meaning the passport will only result in a false positive in 1 out of 1,000 analyses (over a series of samples, that means the risk of false positive becomes very, very low) but it will also yield many false negatives

http://www.outsideonline.com/1919201/what-heck-biological-passport-anyway

samhocking said:
zigmeister said:
Sky commisioned the report, but Sheffield Uni are publishing it when they have studied the data. What's so complicated to understand? That's how it often works in Academia - a company goes to a University, commissions a study to gather data on something that hasn't been studied before and uses the data, then the University release their report when they have studied the data.

Sky needed the initial report on the data for Henao's physiological profile in 2014, they don't need the final report of the University's findings. That's how I understand it anyway. i.e. it's up to Sheffield Uni to study the data to compile a report. That could take several years, we don't know what the timescale or priority to complete their findings is. A couple of years I would say at least.

“The research around this case has been taken very seriously and we undertook a large amount of complex scientific analysis before giving our recommendation for Sergio to be allowed to return to racing,” he stated on Wednesday.

“It’s still our intention to publish the results in the scientific literature. There are many processes to take into account when you write and publish scientific papers and delays of over a year are not unusual in these cases. We hope it can be done as soon as possible.”

What likely happened, and I'm not defending Sky by any means, is they commissioned a report by a researcher who works at a University I believe.

Professors/researchers really make their name/money and pay increases from getting published in peer review journals.

Thus, the agreement may have been that Sky will not release, had a non-disclosure agreement with the author, who wants to try and get published by a peer-review respected journal, before any info is publicly released.

The author probably just wants to protect himself...the byproduct, Sky is protected, for at least awhile, until eventually the report will make its way out into the public realm.

This is the same scenario that Sky admitted, along with Froome, regarding his "Testing" earlier in the year. They weren't going to public release information on the study, some basic stuff only, and the author/researchers want to get it published in a peer review journal, then we will all see it for ourselves.

Surely a PR/Media annoucement would be done shortly before the publishing of the documents/research of these riders.

There's three sides to what is being published on Henao. First, the several months of WADA accredited blood tests at altitude on Henao while grounded in Columbia and which Sky handed to CADF and was added to Henao's passport I believe. Second, Sheffield Uni's recommendation/report that sky commissioned to help them decide if they should allow Henao to return to racing or not and finally the report of the University itself on all this data which is still ongoing.

The thing is, CADF wouldn't have known who's passport data has just triggered a suspicion worthy of more investigation until after it triggered the suspicion. They work blind with the riders passports. Nowhere is there an athletes name and data together, while they are looking at. I don't see how they can effectively agree by way of not taking any action in 2015 with all the WADA tests Sky handed over to them, but in 2016 now effectively disagree. If the altitude blood test in winter 2015 is triggering the same things as the 2 blood tests they have from Henao in 2014, I can't see there's much CADF can sanction unless they want to become completely hypocritical about the data itself?

I agree with this. My post was only directed at the "University study" of this issue. Some think there is some massive cover up, when Sky likely had a limited amount of data from the author of the study, and given their opinion whether he should be allowed to compete. Which he did.

Does Sky have a full blown copy of the study? Is the study even complete" The study/professor/team is likely trying to get it published as I stated in a peer review journal. If not, they are stupid. Because I know a lot about working to get articles published in peer review journals.

That is another story...but they benefit by salary increases when they are published typically.

So, maybe they are wealthy and have no concern with peer review, and think their study and information stands on its own...whatever that may be...and Sky really owns the rights to it and all information, since they paid for it???

The rest...another mess entirely. CADF/Blood values for the passport etc...and the committee...

This is it. The cover up story would work if the CADF OOC dates aligned with the agents leak, or Sky's announcement, but they don't and nowhere was a case against Henao opened by UCI. The only case open on Henao was sky's own. They didn't need to withdraw him from racing because they already knew his only out of competition tests in Columbia were in Oct 2013 and Jan 2015 and CADF themselves stated Henao was tested 2 times during the winter. We assume Winter to mean until March when Spring begins? We also know Team Sky and Henao were training at sea level in Mallorca from Jan 19 and Henao was racing then racing in middle east shortly after that. He had already been at ground level, racing and training with Sky for 3 months. If there was an anomaly in his profile in March, it can only relate to the two OOC tests in Columbia, because there were no other in Winter taken. Any anomalies after would only be seen in his passport from after Adriatico.

samhocking said:
This is it. The cover up story would work if the CADF OOC dates aligned with the agents leak, or Sky's announcement, but they don't and nowhere was a case against Henao opened by UCI. The only case open on Henao was sky's own. They didn't need to withdraw him from racing because they already knew his only out of competition tests in Columbia were in Oct 2013 and Jan 2015 and CADF themselves stated Henao was tested 2 times during the winter. We assume Winter to mean until March when Spring begins? We also know Team Sky and Henao were training at sea level in Mallorca from Jan 19 and Henao was racing then racing in middle east shortly after that. He had already been at ground level, racing and training with Sky for 3 months. If there was an anomaly in his profile in March, it can only relate to the two OOC tests in Columbia, because there were no other in Winter taken. Any anomalies after would only be seen in his passport from after Adriatico.

I don’t know how to help you here, it’s like you refuse to understand. Sky withdrew him NOT because of one test prior to TA, they withdrew him because IF he was tested for the passport at SEALEVEL at TA it was likely to bring about a passport infraction (letter) as a result of his parameters in previous tests. As with any athlete who is trying to game the passport they send him straight back to altitude because any further passport tests are at a lesser sensitivity and his values would reset.

Got it now?

They only reason they made up the BS story about the report was because Henano’s agent said he had “anomalous value”. Otherwise they never would have said anything, they would have just withdrawn him.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
I guess I don't get it.

So Henao has no problems? I thought the story told here at CN was that he had a suspect numbers on a blood passport (blood passport is monitored by the team and UCI correct?). Was withdrawn from racing. Then a report was done by a lab paid for by the team. Cleared to race then the passport issue is back on and has been removed from racing.

Seems like Henao has been doping for a while so it might be in the teams best interest to keep that "report" they done out of the UCI or public.

Glenn_Wilson said:
samhocking said:
I guess I don't get it.

So Henao has no problems? I thought the story told here at CN was that he had a suspect numbers on a blood passport (blood passport is monitored by the team and UCI correct?). Was withdrawn from racing. Then a report was done by a lab paid for by the team. Cleared to race then the passport issue is back on and has been removed from racing.

Seems like Henao has been doping for a while so it might be in the teams best interest to keep that "report" they done out of the UCI or public.

It said Sky asked the university to do the study...but did they pay for it and do they own the rights/content?

Never got a good answer on that one from anybody. You have the "researcher" saying, "talk to Sky, no further comment." And you have Sky saying "we only got an opinion from the university, and not the full report/research."

?!?!?!?!?!?! Around and around we go Sky.

thehog said:
samhocking said:

I don’t know how to help you here, it’s like you refuse to understand. Sky withdrew him NOT because of one test prior to TA, they withdrew him because IF he was tested for the passport at SEALEVEL at TA it was likely to bring about a passport infraction (letter) as a result of his parameters in previous tests. As with any athlete who is trying to game the passport they send him straight back to altitude because any further passport tests are at a lesser sensitivity and his values would reset.

Got it now?

They only reason they made up the BS story about the report was because Henano’s agent said he had “anomalous value”. Otherwise they never would have said anything, they would have just withdrawn him.

I understand what you're saying perfectly clearly, but the level of your assumption to fill the holes in what you're putting forward here are too big for me to believe you.

1. UCI has already given Sky Henao's passport data in question. Because they have done this, his passport is already clear before Adriatico. It can't trigger anything in March 2014 or after March 2014, because the last OOC test on Henao was Jan 2014. Sky know Henao's only data on his passport from Colubmia are those two OOC tests and they already have the results in front of them in March 2014.

2. Henao was back at sea level on 19 Jan Mallorca training camp. Your assumption is Sky never looked at his blood levels alongside his passport at this camp despite being home in Columbia for 4 months, even though it's only a few days since his last OOC test by CADF at home in Columbia at altitude. He didn't have an OOC at this training camp, CADF already state there were only 2 taken on Henao in winter 2014. Essentially Sky have all the data on Henao, UCI has and know this.

3. Henao raced Trofeo Palma, Trofeo Ses Salines, Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana on 9th, 10th & 11th Feb, You're assuming neither Sky looked at his levels or compared with his previous passport data and no anti-doping controls.

4. Henao raced Tour of Oman 18-23 February, You're assuming neither Sky looked at his levels or compared with his previous passport data and no anti-doping controls.

Basically your story assumes, Henao arrived in Mallorca on 19th Jan after being home in Columbia since October 2013 and between 19th Jan and March didn't look at his blood once, his passport data once, let him race blind at 4 races and then finally just before Adriatico looked at his passport and analysed his blood and noticed something? I just don't believe Sky would show such lack of interest in a riders blood in terms of doping him. You're essentially saying from October 2013 to March 2014 - 6 months! Sky hadn't a clue about this riders levels. That's not your actions of a team trying to dope a rider for Adriatico.

The Colombian federation said in a letter to UCI that Sergio has been subject in 2007 to similar studies to the ones that were carried in 2014. Anyone knows something about this?

image_content_25916589_20160430111154.jpg

Re:

Ricco' said:
The Colombian federation said in a letter to UCI that Sergio has been subject in 2007 to similar studies to the ones that were carried in 2014. Anyone knows something about this?

Errrrr, ummmmmm, maybe Dave Brailsford does? Or the University of Sheffield? Or someone.... :rolleyes:

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Ricco' said:

2007 was a very good year for dodgy studies of Sky riders. Wait for the new, "independent" review of the old data done by his own countrymen, which by pure chance were connected with a team he previously rode for.

The Hitch said:
Let me guess. Michelle found that letter next to froomes one.

What are the chances? Just when the University of Sheffield refuse to comment on Brailsford setting them up, the Columbian Federation magically finds some research into attitude natives for Henao specifically. And from 2007! :cool:

The filing cabinet marked "2007 Research Studies" at Sky HQ is full to the brim with interesting papers. Sadly the increase in RBCs to number of beers consumed didn't see the light of day for JTL.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
How much time has been needed to set the biopassport for the kind of Henao's? 5 years maybe? What a waste of tim, the colombian federation had all datas since 2007!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
I feel way more confident in the Colombian federation's commitment to clean cycling, now that they explicitly acknowledge that all they want is for Henao to walk no matter what so that he can compete in the Olympic games.

good post.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
Beech Mtn said:
The study has been located :p
oh my goodness.

nice signature. Way better than anything I could have made up. Such a huge event that Yorkshire!

I didn't make it up. First line of one of those articles about that *** Shane Sutton from one of the Brit fishwraps. Not Walsh's article. One of the non-white-washing articles.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
hrotha said:
I feel way more confident in the Colombian federation's commitment to clean cycling, now that they explicitly acknowledge that all they want is for Henao to walk no matter what so that he can compete in the Olympic games.

good post.
did Pat's lawyer write that letter?
estan practicado -> estan practicando
los interes -> los intereses.
Juegos Olimpicos Rio -> Juegos Olimpicos de Rio
I'm nitpicking, sure, but such sloppiness just adds to the questionable nature of the whole thing.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Beech Mtn said:
oh my goodness.

nice signature. Way better than anything I could have made up. Such a huge event that Yorkshire!

I didn't make it up. First line of one of those articles about that *** Shane Sutton from one of the Brit fishwraps. Not Walsh's article. One of the non-white-washing articles.
Nice catch!

The only time any fishwraps here cover cycling is when it involves LA -PEDS and trials.

You got the *** shane sutton part correct also.

Henao must have some special blood values to have all these reports / studies done. One of a kind athlete must be.

Beech Mtn said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Beech Mtn said:
oh my goodness.

Yes, it was here:

On the eve of one of the biggest races of the year, the Tour de Yorkshire, the crisis in British cycling deepened on Thursday night as the former world points race champion Simon Yates was confirmed as having an adverse analytical finding in a drugs test in March through what appeared to be an error in procedure when using a drug for a medical condition on prescription.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/28/british-cycling-ignored-claims-shane-sutton-years-say-staff