• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

The Carrot said:
that footage is hilarious.
"you know, to have Dave, you know, work with the guys, you know, on their antidoping stance, and that kind of stuff, you know, but not just that..."
lovely how quickly and decisively Shane manouevers the conversation away from the topic of antidoping.
Keeping a straight face never was his strength, was it, but it's still funny to see him struggle when the word doping has to be uttered. :)

He's so uncomfortable talking the antidoping talk. He doesn't even bother.
For which, I must admit, he deserves some credit.

thehog said:

From what I understand, they act like kids pretty much most of the time. In Suttons defence, these policies were all put in place by Dave B. Like the no boozing policy which was mainly to keep Dave off the piss.

too many rules will make adults act like kids but these riders can't say they weren't warned after London that they need to keep working or everyone else will catch up and leave them.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Anyone who crosses Sutton is usually 'toast' and it doesn't take a lot to cross him. That system of management works only if you have lots of capable replacements waiting in the wings, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the mo. Trott has publicly backed her team mate and Kenny has actually criticised Sutton, so he won't be happy. Off course the riders' comments would never have 'made the light of day' had they been uttered to a mainstream newspaper.

Kenny hasn't won much, by his standards, recently, but as Gregory Bauge said to him: 'So, if I understand you well, for the next four years you will just relax and then when it comes to Rio [the 2016 Olympics], bang'

Re:

The Carrot said:
It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Anyone who crosses Sutton is usually 'toast' and it doesn't take a lot to cross him. That system of management works only if you have lots of capable replacements waiting in the wings, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the mo. Trott has publicly backed her team mate and Kenny has actually criticised Sutton, so he won't be happy. Off course the riders' comments would never have 'made the light of day' had they been uttered to a mainstream newspaper.

Kenny hasn't won much, by his standards, recently, but as Gregory Bauge said to him: 'So, if I understand you well, for the next four years you will just relax and then when it comes to Rio [the 2016 Olympics], bang'

Dave B used to get ride of anyone who got a little too successful, see the team pursuit coaches for example. As we saw with the Wiggins vs Froome tour ride debacle of a few years ago, Dave B will promise anyone what they want to hear and then get Sutton in to sort the situation out.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The Carrot said:

Mainstream? In my opinion the Telegraph is a mainstream newspaper, certainly one that is quoted frequently in other media in the UK. Trott's comment was made to and reported by Sky Sports which, according to many in the clinic, is in league with British Cycling.

As for Bauge, the French can't put all of their sour grapes into wine production. Anyway, it seems Bauge may have taken his opinion of Kenny very seriously because he himself disappeared for 3 years and then suddenly came back last season at the top of his game.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Farcanal said:
The Carrot said:

Mainstream? In my opinion the Telegraph is a mainstream newspaper, certainly one that is quoted frequently in other media in the UK. Trott's comment was made to and reported by Sky Sports which, according to many in the clinic, is in league with British Cycling.

As for Bauge, the French can't put all of their sour grapes into wine production. Anyway, it seems Bauge may have taken his opinion of Kenny very seriously because he himself disappeared for 3 years and then suddenly came back last season at the top of his game.

My bad, missed the fact it had made the Telegraph.

Laura Trott echoing the party line

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling/laura-trott-concerned-standing-british-7459068#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Trott, 24, said: “What keeps you motivated is knowing that we have a great development programme in Britain and, if you take your foot off the gas, there's always someone waiting in the wings.

“If you go out for a curry one night and there's someone else sat at home with their feet up, and all of a sudden your spot on the team is gone, that's your choice.

Competition is good, but that speaks almost of a culture of fear.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling/laura-trott-concerned-standing-british-7459068#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Trott, 24, said: “What keeps you motivated is knowing that we have a great development programme in Britain and, if you take your foot off the gas, there's always someone waiting in the wings.

“If you go out for a curry one night and there's someone else sat at home with their feet up, and all of a sudden your spot on the team is gone, that's your choice.

She's right though. And maybe Kenny should cut down on his distractions and spend more time with his fiancee.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:

I love how British sports reporting has to be dumbed down to "beer & curry" for anyone to understand. I guess the obvious question is, how would anyone know? Unless You're being watched.

In saying that, riding behind someone who has had curry the night before is recipe for trouble.

thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

I love how British sports reporting has to be dumbed down to "beer & curry" for anyone to understand. I guess the obvious question is, how would anyone know? Unless You're being watched.

In saying that, riding behind someone who has had curry the night before is recipe for trouble.

It's the same as that old story about training on Christmas day. Gives you a psychological edge if nothing else.

bobbins said:
thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

It's the same as that old story about training on Christmas day. Gives you a psychological edge if nothing else.

Indians are very good at cricket and badminton. I wonder if Ravi Shastri lets them eat Indian food? Maybe that was the problem with Greg Chapell when he coached India? ;)

thehog said:
bobbins said:
thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

Indians are very good at cricket and badminton. I wonder if Ravi Shastri lets them eat Indian food? Maybe that was the problem with Greg Chapell when he coached India? ;)

What would make it Indian food though? Being made in India, being made by an Indian or something else? Would a shepherds pie made by an Indian be Indian food?

bobbins said:
thehog said:
bobbins said:
thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

What would make it Indian food though? Being made in India, being made by an Indian or something else? Would a shepherds pie made by an Indian be Indian food?

A curry is actually the sauce in India, not the actual food itself. In England they call Indian food 'curry'.

Come on Bobbins, get with the program, you're showing cultural ineptness :rolleyes:

When I was a kid I was always confused by the word “curry” because my non-Indian friends used it in a way that didn’t make any sense to me. They called everything from a dry potato saute with spices, to soupy lentils, to chicken in a cream sauce “curry.” Indians usually only use the word “curry” when they are speaking English and then only when referring to something with a sauce or gravy, rather than a spice.

Curry is a word invented by the British back when they ruled India. It is the anglicized version of the Tamil word kari, meaning sauce and is now commonly used to describe almost any food of South Asian origin.

I used to get really upset when people would use the word “curry”. I would insist that foods be called by their proper names because there is no such thing as curry in Indian food and that curries are a British invention.

http://indiaphile.info/what-is-curry-and-a-recipe-for-garam-masala/

Irondan said:
bobbins said:
So a Thai Green Curry is really Thai Green Indian food?

What about chip shop chips with curry sauce?
Let's not get hung up on off topic conversation please.

I thought that was pretty much encouraged these days?

Maybe I should have included some drivel about Gourdenston and muscular christianity and chariots of fire to make you happy?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
bobbins said:
thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

he needed to handle the press conferences like the Windies and Andy Roberts.

it is a political navigation.

see the skill of Geoff Lawson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgq3uUWXjF4

the optometrist had more deft than his off-cutter.

#theOptometristFTW

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Does Sutton not realise that his athletes' shortcomings are his shortcomings too?

The girls that missed the sprint team qualification for Rio should be aggrieved with management. Last ditch qualification attempts are for weaker teams/nations, teams who suffered injuries or teams that made mistakes in previous qualification attempts. They aren't supposed to be last ditch attempts because everybody deserves a go, trials can be run after the spot is secured. I thought GB track cycling got the funding it does so it can produce Olympic medals?

By weaker nations, I mean nations with smaller talent pools and smaller budgets, not implying that GB has superior strength!

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

[

Competition is good, but that speaks almost of a culture of fear.[/quote]

I am reminded of the culture that surrounded a womens Olympic Champion volleyball team from Japan in the 1970's that had an intense culture of fear instilled by the head coach. For all intents and purposes it was a cult: very very successful in competition but heaven forbid if a player made a mistake or was disloyal . Now I have to go look up the details....

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

richb15 said:
Does Sutton not realise that his athletes' shortcomings are his shortcomings too?

The girls that missed the sprint team qualification for Rio should be aggrieved with management. Last ditch qualification attempts are for weaker teams/nations, teams who suffered injuries or teams that made mistakes in previous qualification attempts. They aren't supposed to be last ditch attempts because everybody deserves a go, trials can be run after the spot is secured. I thought GB track cycling got the funding it does so it can produce Olympic medals?

By weaker nations, I mean nations with smaller talent pools and smaller budgets, not implying that GB has superior strength!

Yeah well luckily for Sutton his main benefactor isn't the BOA it is SKY so as long as he keeps towing the sky bandwagon he will be ok

But yes the point is well made that as a result of missing selection for the games the amount of possible medals will be lower and as such the medal haul and then subsequently the funding for the next four years.

Makes him look a bit silly in the eyes of the BOA and the team
But i doubt he cares - he is such an egotistic narcissist he wont even be listening to anyone else

TRENDING THREADS