• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Wergeland said:
Arvesen has shown poor form while in Sky, but I think he rode good in Luxemburg and very good in Tour de Suisse. There's an explanation to his poor TT yesterday aswell: His handlebar came loose straight of the ramp.

Sky really needs an experienced road captain imo.

And a mechanic

A

Anonymous

TeoSheva said:
Nobody is talking about Swift: are you sure that he will miss the tour? :rolleyes:

cant see it. hes had a pretty tough first half of the season, from tdu through to the toc and then suisse.

It wont be an overly experienced tour squad as it is, Uran, Boasson Hagen still fairly young, even Geraint isnt that old although he has now ridden a few tours. I think taking Swifty might be a step too far for him at the moment. Would rather see him take a mini break and then do some of the smaller races, (i have a feeling he might be doing Eneco or Poland) and then to either the Tour of Britain or the Vuelta.

I think a lot may depend on the result of the British Nationals as well. If swift wins for instance, then they may want him to do the ToB rather than the Vuelta.

TeamSkyFans said:
cant see it. hes had a pretty tough first half of the season, from tdu through to the toc and then suisse.

It wont be an overly experienced tour squad as it is, Uran, Boasson Hagen still fairly young, even Geraint isnt that old although he has now ridden a few tours. I think taking Swifty might be a step too far for him at the moment. Would rather see him take a mini break and then do some of the smaller races, (i have a feeling he might be doing Eneco or Poland) and then to either the Tour of Britain or the Vuelta.

I think a lot may depend on the result of the British Nationals as well. If swift wins for instance, then they may want him to do the ToB rather than the Vuelta.

I understand your point of view, but, once more, I will not be surprise to see him on the start list...
And if he's not gonna race, who will be the sprinter? Hendo or Boasson?

Wergeland said:
Arvesen has shown poor form while in Sky, but I think he rode good in Luxemburg and very good in Tour de Suisse. There's an explanation to his poor TT yesterday aswell: His handlebar came loose straight of the ramp.

Sky really needs an experienced road captain imo.

I agree. I'd take him over Gerrans or Zandio for sure. Maybe its a case of Sky rewarding riders who have results over the whole season but surely it's better to select those who have current form and / or are peaking

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd read that EBH was going to be Sky's sprinter, so no Swift or Henderson (who has done little this season to show that he could compete anyway.)

Which leaves room for an additional climber/rouleur. What's Cummings up to? He hasn't raced for a while.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
I thought I'd read that EBH was going to be Sky's sprinter, so no Swift or Henderson (who has done little this season to show that he could compete anyway.)

Which leaves room for an additional climber/rouleur. What's Cummings up to? He hasn't raced for a while.

Cummings had bronchial pneumonia for past two months and had been recovering very slowly.

Captain_Cavman said:

It would still be good to have someone else as well for the lead out. Just using Flecha+Thomas before EBH is a little weak in the company they'll have. I would use Flecha to bring them towards the front with 2km to go and then Thomas to do the hard work of positioning and staying forward in the final km but then also have a quick leadout like Hendo or Sutton from 400m to go.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:

From a Velonation interview with Rod Ellingworth a couple of weeks ago:

VN: Who do you see as being the protected sprinter – is it Greg Henderson for the Tour, or is that still being finalised?

RE: Well, it is still not one hundred percent finalised. But we are definitely thinking that rather than just Edvald, we are thinking of taking another sprinter as well. I don’t think it will be Appollonio, it would be Greg or Swifty, for sure.

The team will be the Dauphine team (minus Knees who was a late replacement), Swift or Henderson and one of Froome, Lofqvist, Hayman, Stannard or Knees. But that's just my opinion, not fact.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
From a Velonation interview with Rod Ellingworth a couple of weeks ago:

VN: Who do you see as being the protected sprinter – is it Greg Henderson for the Tour, or is that still being finalised?

RE: Well, it is still not one hundred percent finalised. But we are definitely thinking that rather than just Edvald, we are thinking of taking another sprinter as well. I don’t think it will be Appollonio, it would be Greg or Swifty, for sure.

Well that certainly trumps my, 'thought I remember someone saying a while ago...'

I still wouldn't take a(nother) sprinter.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
In an interview with norwegian TV2 Marcus Ljungquist said if it was up to him Arvesen was in the tour squad. They wanted an experienced rider and Arvesen fitted into that descripton.

The squad was supposed to be announced on sunday, but Arvesen says in this article:

http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10095621

That the delay is in his advance, but many of his team mates has shown great form this year and deserves to be in the squad. Anyway the best riders are going to the tour he says.

According to the article Arvesen is fighting with: Greg Henderson, Mathew Hayman, Simon Gerrans, Ian Stannard og Xabier Zandio.

The final squad is supposed to be announced wednesday or thursday.

Karl Max said:
In an interview with norwegian TV2 Marcus Ljungquist said if it was up to him Arvesen was in the tour squad. They wanted an experienced rider and Arvesen fitted into that descripton.

The squad was supposed to be announced on sunday, but Arvesen says in this article:

http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10095621

That the delay is in his advance, but many of his team mates has shown great form this year and deserves to be in the squad. Anyway the best riders are going to the tour he says.

According to the article Arvesen is fighting with: Greg Henderson, Mathew Hayman, Simon Gerrans, Ian Stannard og Xabier Zandio.

The final squad is supposed to be announced wednesday or thursday.

Dave Brailsford was interviewed on BBC Radio last night. He said that the riders were told yesterday who would be doing the tour and that the line-up would be announced on Thursday.

He would not be drawn on the final selection.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
adamski101 said:
Dave Brailsford was interviewed on BBC Radio last night. He said that the riders were told yesterday who would be doing the tour and that the line-up would be announced on Thursday.

He would not be drawn on the final selection.

These will ride the tour, then:
TEAM SKY

Edvald Boasson Hagen

Juan Antonio Flecha

Simon Gerrans

Christian Knees

Ben Swift

Geraint Thomas

Rigoberto Uran

Bradley Wiggins

Xabier Zandio

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gerrans I don't understand he isn't good in itt and in real mountains also he doesn't seem to do well over 3 weeks overall. also I think henderson would've been better over swift if they want to win ttt, but maybe I'm wrong. swift seems more potential in sprint and is better climber for sure

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
gerrans I don't understand he sucks in itt and in real mountains also he doesn't seem to do well over 3 weeks overall. 3 sprinters is also ridiculous.

Three sprinters? As I understand it, only Swifty is there for the sprints.

Good selection if you ask me.

Andy99 said:

EBH will be there for some of the uphill sprints i would have thought? I assume Ryo is counting Thomas as the other sprinter but he's more of a lead-out man.

Ah, just seen Ryo's edit.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:

yeah I thought henderson was in but I changed my post as soon as I found out I was wrong ;) is better indeed, this selection, except gerrans I think.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
gerrans I don't understand he isn't good in itt and in real mountains also he doesn't seem to do well over 3 weeks overall. also I think henderson would've been better over swift if they want to win ttt, but maybe I'm wrong. swift seems more potential in sprint and is better climber for sure

Gerrans is a good choice. Important to have the option of stage hunting and throughout the first week Simon could definetly get some results and possibly a stage. He's a tatically savvy rider.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I think Swift is a great move. Whilst (like Hendo) he isn't going to beat Cav in a pure drag strip, he does have a chance to be there on the more selective finishes.

Shame fo Hendo, but at the end of the day, there are only 9 riders.

So compared to last year:

Uran for Lovkvist

Zandio for Pauwels

Knees for Cummings

Swift for Barry

The main difference of course being an extra sprinter this year and one less helper for Wiggins.

The Vuelta line-up should be quite strong, especially if Rogers and Cummings are fit for it. Presumably Sutton and Henderson will go as the Sprint duo. Stannard and Froome will also be there.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
then I take it back. gerrans is fine. wouldn't know who else to have choosen anyway without rogers. still to win ttt will have to focus and prepare very well because I think radioshack have the killer team for this now

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
I'm taking the inclusion of Swift is an indication that EBH will be taken off sprint duties and onto stage hunting.

EBH will be sent to the front do work for wiggins and occasionally for Swift. Some stages in the opening week suit EBH more than Swift.

TRENDING THREADS