• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of Peloton 2023

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, I said it was probably good old blood doping going on at least.

Other stuff is just a goose hunt.
Somethings just never go out of fashion ... but the WADA people need to be quick off the mark or have a "snitch" on the inside ...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marine-worm-haemoglobin-could-be-the-new-frontier-of-blood-doping/
Anti-doping rules now allow for testing during the night when justified and some teams underwent surprise anti-doping blood tests just an hour before the start of some races in 2023.

“Sea worm haemoglobin works very quickly in the body after injection but it also has a very short lifespan,” Adeline Molina of the L’Agence française de lutte contre le dopage (AFLD) told l’Equipe. “This is a product to look for in competition. But it is visible in a blood test.”

According to the story a well known cyclist contacts the drug manufacture about obtaining said drug. Drug manufacture contacts anti-doping and provides 10 pages of emails showing this encounter. This occurred in 2020 and the anti-doping authorities have done nothing?! WTF.

According to the story a well known cyclist contacts the drug manufacture about obtaining said drug. Drug manufacture contacts anti-doping and provides 10 pages of emails showing this encounter. This occurred in 2020 and the anti-doping authorities have done nothing?! WTF.
It's the old problem of someone thinking to commit a crime and not actually doing it. Since the cyclist apparently never got hold of it, he/she never committed a crime. Also in 2020 at the height of Covid, they did test the "lugworm drug" on Covid patients, so it might have been (although unlikely) connected to Covid.

Rider approaches drug company off his own bat, in his own name? Not via a doctor/team representative/pseudonym? Seems extraordinary/careless.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef
the French producers of the substance contacted AFLD (French antidoping agency) informing them about it. View: https://twitter.com/300wNeilW/status/1726257107786506245

but I don't think they are on WADA's red list for now

and what's not on Wada list, well, it's not banned.
Exactly, if it is not on the list you can technically not be banned. "I did nothing wrong... since it is not banned. I am not doping" is probably how one justifies it, despite the advantage and enhancement of performance it brings.

Well, good on the company for contacting Wada about it then. At least they have done their part. It is then up to Wada to put it on their list and test/find a technique to detect it, if they suspect this something that may be used a lot. Who knows.

This is why the cheaters are just miles ahead of the anti-doping services. You need intel to know what you should look for and how you can detect it.

This is why the cheaters are just miles ahead of the anti-doping services. You need intel to know what you should look for and how you can detect it.
There will always be a window of opportunity for using a new product before it's discovered by the anti-dopers and banned, but in the lugworm blood instance it seems the company behind it went straight to WADA.
What is interesting is we've heard no more on the thyroid medication that is supposed to be used in the peloton.

Exactly, if it is not on the list you can technically not be banned. "I did nothing wrong... since it is not banned. I am not doping" is probably how one justifies it, despite the advantage and enhancement of performance it brings.

Well, good on the company for contacting Wada about it then. At least they have done their part. It is then up to Wada to put it on their list and test/find a technique to detect it, if they suspect this something that may be used a lot. Who knows.

It is on the list. They don’t have to specify each and every banned substance, but classes of substances (and methods).

In Flamanville, France, you don't eat dairy! Damn those cows! :)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/do...le-bossuyt-and-aerts-management-warns-racers/
The letter advised riders not to eat any local dairy products and to bring their own food from Belgium.

Aerts and Bossuyt hypothesised that their positives came about because dairy farmers may be using Letrozole to synchronise cows' estrus for fertilization.

"We still base this on our hypothesis that Toon and Shari tested positive after consuming dairy products in Flamanville.

"Our hypothesis is that their positive test is due to this, but this has not been confirmed by laboratory analyses," ISEA Sport Management said.

This is why pretty much all the big busts have been by police targeting the logistics side of doping, not from ADA's testing - Puerto, Festina, 2001 Giro, Freiberg etc

Ok, here's a dumb question, which I hope some knowledgeable person can answer.

I just read about a guy who got diabetes under control by cutting out carbs (if you're interested the article's HERE). Apparently the guys in the peloton are filling themselves up with carbs at an incredible rate. Will they all get diabetes or is the fact it's being burnt up as quick as it's being eaten not cause any problems? :confused2: