• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steakgate latest: Contador positive for Clenbuterol in four different tests

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
another hypothesis

Would it be possible that riders eat that meat precisely because it has been prepared with clenbuterol or other substances? You can check intake levels, it is easy to store and transport and you have a solid excuse in order to minimize sentence if you do get caught.

Just a hypothesis for the unlikely case when everything he said was indeed the truth.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Scatto said:
Would it be possible that riders eat that meat precisely because it has been prepared with clenbuterol or other substances? You can check intake levels, it is easy to store and transport and you have a solid excuse in order to minimize sentence if you do get caught.

Just a hypothesis for the unlikely case when everything he said was indeed the truth.

It would still have no effect on their performance and is therefore only a liability

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Scatto said:

I dont think they would take such a risk.. If they wanted to cover their bases they would buy the meat to have the receipt but not consume it;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
bastigon said:
To me it is just to unbelievable.

Hard to believe: He ate meat from spain.
Harder to believe: Someone drove it to france.
Hard to believe: The meat was contaminated with clenbuterol.
Harder to believe: The contamination was so severe that it showed up in a doping test.
Unbelieve: Someone used this as an excuse for failed doping test.

And where is the study that shows this is even possible. Can you get clenbuterol by not eating gut food?

To many a Spaniard, it is entirely believable that Contador would have Spanish meat driven to him in France, because Spaniards are almost all convinced that food in no other place (particularly overhyped self-adulatory France) is comparable to Spanish food. It is for precisely this reason that Contador's ludicrous story has been accepted by the Spanish media - it is completely plausible (even if completely ridiculous) to their audience - it helps that in fact in the 1990s a bunch of Spaniards did get sick from eating the LIVER of clenbuterol intoxicated cows. It's also a psychologically astute defense in relation to British and Americans - they are inclined to think that a. Spaniards are bizarre, cheating people who kill bulls for fun and b. meat from Spain is surely contaminated with something.

Classic.

Only once did clenbuterol show up in 83,203 animal samples tested by EU countries in 2008 and 2009, says the European Commission's directorate for health and consumer policy. Spain tested 19,431 samples in those years; none was positive for the drug.

and in response to the labs being described as overly sensitive:

"Akin to arguing that a thief should be let off because if he had not been chased by the quickest policeman in the force he would have escaped"

If WADA determines there is a legitimate case for traces being indicative of legitimate external environmental factors, establish a low threshold for certain substances in future testing. No bearing on this case, Proof positive.

and, some common sense:

"I don't understand athletes who don't take care about what they eat," Ayotte says. "During the Tour de France, I would note down everything that I eat and keep samples of everything I ate if I eat differently from everyone else. I would be paranoid."

Interesting how so many Clenbuterol positives are coming to light in sports and yet in cycling's premier event the TDF it was accidental?

What a load of the stuff from the other end of the cow.

Contador - 2 year ban for failed A and B tests reduced to 1 for possible contamination and extended back to two for the lie and lame excuse. And of course he forfeits the Tour win.

Shouldn't Champions have more class than this whining sniveling millionaire that threatens to take his chamois and go home?

And I used to like and respect the guy. What a crock cycling's become.

He sounds just like Whinestrong.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
nicholaaaas said:
so you claim I have a bias... then say AC's positive should serve as an example of the flawed methods? get out of here

No, I said that "EVEN IF" you think the rules should be changed, you shouldn't give Contador a special dispensation from what the rules were at the time he was caught.

He tested positives under the current rules. He should pay the penalty under the current rules.

If the rules should be changed is a different discussion, but it doesn't change Contador's situation. If they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18 in the US, that doesn't mean all the people who got caught for underage drinking at 19 or 20 should get off. They should be judged based on what the law was at the time of their offense.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
Classic.

Only once did clenbuterol show up in 83,203 animal samples tested by EU countries in 2008 and 2009, says the European Commission's directorate for health and consumer policy. Spain tested 19,431 samples in those years; none was positive for the drug.

and in response to the labs being described as overly sensitive:

"Akin to arguing that a thief should be let off because if he had not been chased by the quickest policeman in the force he would have escaped"

If WADA determines there is a legitimate case for traces being indicative of legitimate external environmental factors, establish a low threshold for certain substances in future testing. No bearing on this case, Proof positive.

and, some common sense:

"I don't understand athletes who don't take care about what they eat," Ayotte says. "During the Tour de France, I would note down everything that I eat and keep samples of everything I ate if I eat differently from everyone else. I would be paranoid."

Interesting how so many Clenbuterol positives are coming to light in sports and yet in cycling's premier event the TDF it was accidental?

What a load of the stuff from the other end of the cow.

Contador - 2 year ban for failed A and B tests reduced to 1 for possible contamination and extended back to two for the lie and lame excuse. And of course he forfeits the Tour win.

Shouldn't Champions have more class than this whining sniveling millionaire that threatens to take his chamois and go home?

And I used to like and respect the guy. What a crock cycling's become.

He sounds just like Whinestrong.

Big difference between Uniballer and Contador.

I imagine Contador's brother is the whiney voice coming from Pinto and not Contador.

Uniballer didn't need any help opening his mouth.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know exactly where to put this since there are so many Contador threads, but I didn't want to start a new one:

"The meat can not be from the Basque Country":

The department of agriculture and rural development of the Basque Country claims that "there is no way that it came from Basque production, or products commercialized in the community."

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-dopage_la_viande_ne_peut_pas_venir_d_euskadi-10431.html

I think they recently claimed to have found the ticket among Astana's papers. I haven't seen it reported outside of the Spanish press, though.

If the meat was bought in Irún, it most definitely came from the EU (if not from the Basque Country itself). If it comes from the EU, it's 100% traceable with the ticket. If Contador was serious and truthful about his line of defense, he would have found the ticket long ago (what kind of company just throws bills in a drawer without any order? They'd be sorted by date or something) and traced the meat back before the news of his positive even broke.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
As we speak, Clentadors is injecting Clen into spanish cows. Everything is legal in spain, as long as you don't get caught.

...or, everything is legal as long as you deny it...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The story has now been picked up by velonation so it's all in English:

As the Alberto Contador case continues onwards, the Basque Regional Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has categorically denied that meat products from the region could have led to his positive test for Clenbuterol.

In a statement released this week, the regional ministry insisted that no beef from the region could have been tainted with the substance.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...of-Contadors-positive-test.aspx#ixzz154RvA3kx

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Protein said:
Seems this is good news for Contador if they have the receipt for the steak. I think that would be enough to satisfy the UCI, and the blood doping test is not recognised yet so I think it's unlikely AC will receive any type of sanction.

Wait one minute. I've got the receipt in my pocket right now. I made it myself. 3lbs of "Klassic Klenbuterol Kut". $13.99 per pound, on sale.

Amazing what you can do with a scanner and a copy of Adobe Photoshop.

Nice to see that some people in Spain are not doing all they can to save the doper.

As for tracability looking at the receipt I don't see how, it's not like the receipt shows the serial number of the meat, right, it's not a watch. Tracability of everything on display at the butcher's ok but not once it's gone.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Nice to see that some people in Spain are not doing all they can to save the doper.

As for tracability looking at the receipt I don't see how, it's not like the receipt shows the serial number of the meat, right, it's not a watch. Tracability of everything on display at the butcher's ok but not once it's gone.

Yes and would a butcher risk his life saying the rancher had tainted meat that he knowingly sold? An entire industry would be at risk for the sake of this argument.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a new twist (to me at least) in the case.

contador’s lawyer claims the doyti meat could come from south america and some organization named bda supports the claim.the spanish food inspectors claim the entry points of the contraband are only spot-checked.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.as.com/ciclismo/&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Following the agreement reached this year between the EU and Mercosur (common market of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay), 20,000 tonnes of beef that is illegally in the feedlot South America have landed in Europe. BDA argues that the port of San Juan de Luz (France) is a key point where the Basque butcher shop that allegedly contaminated meat. AS consulted the Spanish Food Safety Agency if these products are managed to enter our country: "Yes, are discussed in special border points, not all foods, because it would be impossible, but randomly from the lot.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
python said:

contador’s lawyer claims the doyti meat could come from south america and some organization named bda supports the claim.the spanish food inspectors claim the entry points of the contraband are only spot-checked.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.as.com/ciclismo/&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Hmmm... You're actually starting to make me feel bad about being so sure of myself in terms of AC's obvious use...

Interesting...

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
python said:

If they have the receipt would they be able to match it up? They could do a DNA test on the stock piles at the store to see what breed of cow it is.

I've always thought there is too much doubt for them to sanction him more than a slap on the wrist. In Spain they need to be 100%.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Hmmm... You're actually starting to make me feel bad about being so sure of myself in terms of AC's obvious use...

Interesting...

not me, this just keeps getting more ridiculous and less believable actually. this is one well traveled steak!

fasten your seat belts, now we have tainted beef traveling from south america to france then to spain then back to france for princess alberto to consume without vino present on what just happened to be a rest day. :rolleyes:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
not me, this just keeps getting more ridiculous and less believable actually. this is one well traveled steak!

fasten your seat belts, now we have tainted beef traveling from south america to france then to spain then back to france for princess alberto to consume without vino present on what just happened to be a rest day. :rolleyes:

That, and the steak can't explain the plasicizers in it's tissue blood. It's clear at least the steak got a rest day top off.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
That, and the steak can't explain the plasicizers in it's tissue blood. It's clear at least the steak got a rest day top off.

From what I've heard, the Spaniards run their cows through a rigorous program of hill-sprints up the Pyrenees. Altitude training and all...

Maybe his cow only wanted to keep up...

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
lean said:

+1 amazing

May 8, 2009
Visit site
It is getting more ridiculous by the minute.

Initially, the meat came with a friend who wanted to provide meat from the great pastures and cattle of the north of Spain, because "it was better than what they could get in France". I agree that some of those cuts are gorgeous, and not quite the same as I ate in any place I have been in France (let's say they are different, not better or worst :) ). People DO know if the meat is from the Vasque Country (or whereabouts) or not, for instance if one wants to bring good meat from Irun one would bring some certified meat from the "pyrinean breed" (A description here: http://www.euskal-produktuak.com/es/tienda/detalles/196/4/carnicería/lote-carne-de-ternera.html)

They just cannot take Argentinian meat from Irun and not noticing. Surely almost everyone would notice. Some journalists want to defend the indefensible.

Indeed.

Also, if Astana's cook bought some meat to be eaten by the riders after the Tourmalet stage, and López Cerrón's shady steak was eaten on the 21st (rest day) and again on the 22nd... Does that mean Contador ate meat three days in a row?

edit: Wait, no. When that piece of news was first brought up, people said there was no conflict with the dates. But unless I'm doing things wrong, there is. López Cerrón's steak was enough for two dinners, on the 21st and the 22nd, but Astana's cook clearly says he bought meat in Pau, and furthermore, that it (and no other meat) was eaten by the riders (not by Vinokourov and his gang) for dinner on the 22nd.