• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
pablohidalgo7 said:
He was decent today, but he should be better in the coming days.
This wasn't Kruijswijks type of climb, and still he did pretty well considering.

He has a good ITT and superb recuperation. I think he can do top 5, he should've done top 5 last year already..
I know, and I think that he can finish in the podium and not necessarily in second or third position.

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hakkapelit said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
The more I see of this guy, the more I'm beginning to like him......still figuring out how to pronounce that surname though.

Kröjjsvajjk :cool:

Maybe he has to change the ij into y like Cruyff and others did. So it would be Kruyswyk. Less difficult I guess

I never understand why pronounciations like these are hard. And it's not because its my native language.

On topic, really like what he's been doing so far. By far my favourite rider from Lotto-Jumbo. Official Dutch Giro-tard. Aggro ginger. I love it. May get really far if he continues to improve like he normally does, but then the 3 favourites were probably all below par today.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I never understand why pronounciations like these are hard. And it's not because its my native language.

On topic, really like what he's been doing so far. By far my favourite rider from Lotto-Jumbo. Official Dutch Giro-tard. Aggro ginger. I love it. May get really far if he continues to improve like he normally does, but then the 3 favourites were probably all below par today.

I'm gonna assume you're taking the p!ss here??.....yes, I know all about assumptions ;)

I can never understand why people cannot pronounce this Maori word?? Maori is one of the 3 official languages of NZ.

Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Back on topic: - being a Ginger-Ninja myself.....gotta love this guy and will be keeping close tabs on him in the coming weeks......c'mon Stevie Kay!!

Re:

Red Rick said:

Without hearing the word from someone Dutch-speaking it will be hard for almost anyone who doesn't speak Dutch, as every language has their own special niches. For example: Leicester. Tell me that you would manage to pronounce that, or even better Worcestershire, without hearing it from an English person first. Even then, it is still pretty damn hard to pronounce.

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
The difference between 'ou' 'eu' 'oe' and 'ui' are pretty hard to understand for foreigners and even more so when combined with 'ei' or 'ij'.
Quick tip: when not combined with 'ou' 'eu' 'oe' or 'ui', replace 'ei' or 'ij' with 'y' and pronounce it as an 'i' as in Isengard (couldn't think of something else lol). The combined stuff is too hard to explain so just pronounce as you please :p

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
have the feeling RAI is sometimes a bit dumb.
Yeah, the live commentators are good (Silvio Martinello is good), but the other members of their team can be a bit ignorant and Beppe Conti is just Beppe Conti...

Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:

Without hearing the word from someone Dutch-speaking it will be hard for almost anyone who doesn't speak Dutch, as every language has their own special niches. For example: Leicester. Tell me that you would manage to pronounce that, or even better Worcestershire, without hearing it from an English person first. Even then, it is still pretty damn hard to pronounce.
Place names are a completely different matter though. Their spelling is fossilized to a greater extent than in surnames, and thus they aren't really representative of the language.

"Kruijswijk" is not odd at all - it's perfectly consistent with Dutch phonology and, more to the point, Dutch orthography.

hrotha said:
Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:

Place names are a completely different matter though. Their spelling is fossilized to a greater extent than in surnames, and thus they aren't really representative of the language.

"Kruijswijk" is not odd at all - it's perfectly consistent with Dutch phonology and, more to the point, Dutch orthography.

Sure, but Dutch phonology is outside the experience of speakers of most other languages. It's not that a name like Kruijswijk is tricky to those who know the rules, it's that the rules are different to those non-Dutch speakers understand.

hrotha said:
Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:

But every language's phonology is different and you can't pick it up without listening to a native speaker, that was my point.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to point out that <uij> isn't a part of standard Dutch orthography, it represents a diphthong that is normally written <ui>. The diphthong (i.e. /œy̯/ in northern Dutch dialects the first vowel of the diphthong is pronounced less rounded so it's realized something like [ʌ̈y̯]) is pretty unique to Dutch.

French and other Germanic languages except English have similar types of vowels (i.e. front rounded vowels), but generally they're quite uncommon so it's not surprising that people with English as a native language, find it difficult to pronounce. If you speak French, you might be able to pronounce <ui> (or <uij> in this case) by saying the French <oe> and the French <u> after each other like a diphthong.

Anyway, for those who know IPA <Kruijswijk> should be pronounced /'krœy̯s.ʋɛi̯k/ (although if you hear a commentator from the Netherlands saying it, there's a good chance it'll be more like ['krʌ̈y̯s.ʋæi̯k] which is how I pronounce it as well) and I'm not surprised at all that people who don't speak French or non-English Germanic languages have a hard time pronouncing that. :)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh and btw, if Kruijswijk get's his normal third week peak compared to the level that he has now, he will win the Giro. Just saying. I'm not super confident that'll he'll improve as much as he normally does though so I'm not necessarily predicting that he will.

TRENDING THREADS