• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 607 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's more like on how realistic it will be to perform good, decision likely to be made after the Tour. If Pogi would ride through the Tour and to win it by minutes, then he likely will be fresh enough for Olympics. If his form instead fades at the Tour, then giving it a crack at Worlds RR is pretty much it. And this year i am sure that Rogla will go for both too, so there is that. All in all you will still need to be relatively fresh at the Tour and beyond, otherwise chances for results and participations are low.

It's more like on how realistic it will be to perform good, decision likely to be made after the Tour. If Pogi would ride through the Tour and to win it by minutes, then he likely will be fresh enough for Olympics. If his form instead fades at the Tour, then giving it a crack at Worlds RR is pretty much it. And this year i am sure that Rogla will go for both too, so there is that. All in all you will still need to be relatively fresh at the Tour and beyond, otherwise chances for results and participations are low.
Most likely he will want to represent his country in the Olympics either way.

In an interview i read yesterday he left this option open. He said he would like to participate at Olympics in some form, still participation is not 100% confirmed yet.
He just finished the Giro tbf and is supposed to rest now for a week or so. Prepare for Tour, ride it and then maybe doing the Olympics.

Who knows, there could still be negotiations about practical things. Bonus if winning a medal and so on. Pog likely holds the cards here.

I dont think he is putting it off because he doesnt know if he physically will be able to unless he just doesnt want to. Nobody who is doing the Tour really knows that. Especially if you are GC-rider and anything can happen in the Tour or before it. Crashes, illness and so on. Same for everyone.

Someone like MVDP probably benefits the most since he will "just" ride Tour as prep and maybe doing something on a stage... then having the Olympics as the big goal.

Last edited:
@Salvarani

Pogi has never done a GT double before, lets first see on how that goes. On top of that he was in great form through whole spring campaign. There are limits involved, even when it comes to Pogi. So in my opinion Olympics participation will come down to form and freshness left. We'll see.
Impossible to know that now and most likely that is why he answers it the way he does... I dont know when the deadline is to make a decision for the Olympics, but as I said he will do it if things are ok in every aspect. It is the Olympics and you only get a couple of chances to participate.

@Salvarani

Yes, that is on why it's not confirmed but the doors are left open.

The way i see it is Pogi went all out through the whole spring campaign and continued to do that at the Giro, that is he wasn't riding sparingly at all. In my opinion he will be cooked by the end of the Tour (or sooner) and hence he will focus on Worlds RR as a result. We'll see.
The preliminarly plan is he will likely do it, if nothing else happens. End of.

Reactions: snipeheem
If he wins the Tour, he sits alongside Gods of Olympus. Everything else is a bonus! He doesn't care about Olympics because he knows he can't win. He will save himself for worlds where he has only one rival (Remco) for the win.
Agreed, but that wont rule out a participation as of now. He is not doing it either atm. Maybe, maybe not. Going for the win or a medal in the Olympics is then a completely different question.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Veneration / Adoration

66563b106f4e2.r_d.235-129-18571.jpeg

In italiano here
Today Mattia keeps the water bottle (still full of water and with the vitamin gel attached) as if it were a relic. He keeps it inside a perfectly airtight plastic bag. «We have already ordered the display case in which we will carefully preserve it» confess father Simone and mother Barbara laughing, but in the meantime Mattia always keeps it with him.
«His place, for the moment – he explains – is on my bedside table. It's the last thing I look at before falling asleep and continues to dream about it at night. It still doesn't seem true : it's the best gift I've ever received."

@Salvarani

Pogi has never done a GT double before, lets first see on how that goes. On top of that he was in great form through whole spring campaign. There are limits involved, even when it comes to Pogi. So in my opinion Olympics participation will come down to form and freshness left. We'll see.

I think this makes a lot of sense. He also has eyes on Worlds and he could perhaps decide that keeping the form going through the Olympics makes it too hard to be at top level 7 weeks later.

Then again, he usually does that at Lombardia, however, he seems a bit less lethal there than in the rest of the season.

Latest posts