• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 794 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar says he was very tired after the Tour.

Nothing is easy in cycling, especially the Olympic Games on this kind of parcours. I think I made the right decision because the day after the Tour de France I was completely destroyed.

The legs were tired, but I think it was a hard season from Strade Bianche to the Tour de France. It was all the way full gas and I was in super good shape and after the Tour when I switched off, my body went kind of into shutdown mode and I was feeling quite bad the first two weeks.

GT double won in such a style is not a joke, plus he was non-stop in form since Strade. He performed superbly well till the Tour end but that doesn't mean that the body didn't feel any fatigue. One can be in excellent form with fatigue growing until the body reaches a breaking point. Going for the GT treble could've ended badly, I believe.

Eddy merckx 1972 season

Giro di sardegna
Paris nice
Milan san remo
Liege bastogne liege
Dauphine libere
Tour france
GP du midi libre
GP camaiore
Worlds championships road race
Escalada a montjuic
Giro di lombardia

Also won other not so important races in that season. The best season ever, it's not achievable.

What can we say.....GOAT things.

If Pogacar wins both WC and Lombardia then he will have 2 GT + 3 monuments, a monster season. Merckx had 2 GT + 3 monuments in 1972 (no WC, you are wrong) so very comparable but had more wins in total (33 vs 20 something by Pog). Still, Pog's season will be one of the best ever, even if it doesn't topple Merckx. Obviously WC and Lombardia are still up for grabs anyway, it's better to wait till the season end.

Last edited:
Pogacar's 2024 is still sinking in with me and he isn't finished by a long shot. Quite incredible really. A phenomenon.

Remember when Vingo defeated him for a 2nd year in a row at the Tour, after he announced he was attempting the double people scoffed and said he wanted to win the Giro because he knew he couldn't beat Vingo at the Tour ? Yes Vingegaard had his crash but we also know he was doing better watts / kilo in the Tour than when he beat Pogacar in 2022 and 2023 (and Vingegaard and Visma also claimed this).

I guess reading that he was destroyed after the Tour shows he is human. But its also noteworthy this year how he has spread out his targets with ample recovery between major targets. Hard to believe its now nearly 8 weeks since he last raced.

The Quebec/Montreal team. Ayuso not looking as pleased.

2miryck97eod1.jpeg

GXMKefDXwAAIg7w

Eddy merckx 1972 season

Giro di sardegna
Paris nice
Milan san remo
Liege bastogne liege
Dauphine libere
Tour france
GP du midi libre
GP camaiore
Escalada a montjuic
Giro di lombardia

Also won other not so important races in that season. The best season ever, it's not achievable.

Very minor point but he actually was second in Paris-Nice to Pou Pou in 1972. Difficult to compare generations and these things are always subjective but if (and it’s a big if) Pog won both Lombardia and WC my view is that this season would surpass the 1972 season.

Of course part of what made Merckx phenomenal is he also had another 4/5 seasons which can be considered in the top 7/8 seasons of all time- between ‘69-‘74 he was insanely dominant and his ‘74 season is not far behind his ‘72 season.

Eddy merckx 1972 season

Giro di sardegna
Paris nice
Milan san remo
Liege bastogne liege
Dauphine libere
Tour france
GP du midi libre
GP camaiore
Escalada a montjuic
Giro di lombardia

Yeah 100 years ago against farmers

And people wanted him to do the Vuelta as well.
True.

With that modern calendar, Vuelta last and the times in between, Merckx would have done it. Hinault too. But no one has done it, it's apparent to me that doing it would have amplified the "D" suspicions. Pogacar would have won this Vuelta by 10 minutes, or on my scale 8 minutes, let's be real.

Having said that, Merckx won 7 MSR, an insane (and not soon to be broken) record: Tadej can do the same in Lombardia., Coppi has 5, Merckx and Hinault 2. He can do 4 in a row and be back for more. Scary....

Eddy merckx 1972 season

Giro di sardegna
Paris nice
Milan san remo
Liege bastogne liege
Dauphine libere
Tour france
GP du midi libre
GP camaiore
Escalada a montjuic
Giro di lombardia

Merckx apparently never really existed in this topic, it’s a mythical beast that no one here has ever seen

Reactions: Froome